The Mummy vs. The Mummy Returns

odnurega1

The Mummy vs. The Mummy Returns  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you like better, and why?

• The Mummy...by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Mummy Returns...by Alan Silvestri
  2. 2. Are you looking forward to Randy Edelman's score to the third film?

• Yes
    • No

Which "Mummy" score do you like better? The first film, composed by Jerry Goldsmith, or the 2nd film, composed by Alan Silvestri.

I listened to both scores today, and I have to say that I liked Alan Silvestri's score better. I thought that it was more cohesive, and a much better listening experience. I like the themes that JG came up with, but the music starts to sound like noise after awhile when you listen to it on the soundtrack.

Which do you like better, and why? And, while we're at it, so I don't have to create a new thread, who is looking forward to Randy Edelman's score for the third film? I for one am not, and I am disappointed that Alan Silvestri did not return.

Commence voting.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Goldsmith's better in terms of highlights. His highlights peak higher than Silvestri's.

Silvestri's though, is indeed the more cohesive and listenable effort, with fantastic highlights of its own.

Goldsmith still wins.

Oh and no, not looking forward to Edelman's efforts.

Which "Mummy" score do you like better? The first film, composed by Jerry Goldsmith, or the 2nd film, composed by Alan Silvestri.

I listened to both scores today, and I have to say that I liked Alan Silvestri's score better. I thought that it was more cohesive, and a much better listening experience. I like the themes that JG came up with, but the music starts to sound like noise after awhile when you listen to it on the soundtrack.

Which do you like better, and why? And, while we're at it, so I don't have to create a new thread, who is looking forward to Randy Edelman's score for the third film? I for one am not, and I am disappointed that Alan Silvestri did not return.

Commence voting.

I guess we have more in common than being from Florida and having the same avatar.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10804&hl=

Goldsmith's peaks are higher than Silvestri's, yes, but Silvestri's score is more consistant and consistantly exciting to me. If I had to choose an album to put on, it would be Silvestri's. If I had to choose a particular cue, it would probably be one of Goldsmith's. I love his 'Arabian' sound. Oh and the transition in the end credits, from the Love theme to the action stuff makes for one of my favorite end credits ever.

So, Silvestri's would be my pick, but it's definitely a photo-finish.

And I am not looking forward to Edelman's score. He does come up with goo thematic stuff every once in a while, but, overall, he is one of the least impressive film composers working.

I am definitely interested in Edelman's Mummy. After a career of mostly comedies and "cute" flicks, this would be by far his largest summer blockbuster movie to date. I am curious to see what he can do.

The poll is mutiple multiple choice (you can select as many options per poll as you want). Might want to fix that :lol:

indy4 - who only has The Mummy, so he can't vote

Because Rob Cohen doesn't have any other crap to make.

Goldsmith.

NO! Edelman = One of the worst composers ever. Sorry GoldsmithFantatic :lol:

And this thread has good timing, I'm watching The Mummy on TV right now.

Goldsmith. I love listening to the last minute and a half of Rebirth. Really like Silvestri's credits though.

Oops! I guess I didn't look back all the way to 2006 to see if this thread was already made. I wasn't as active on the forum back then as I am now, so that may explain it.

This was the first poll I have made, so excuse my first error. :lol:

All errors aside, I do agree with everything said here. First, a big "I agree" to Randy Edelman! I was so disappointed when I saw he would be composing music for the film. Actually, I was kind of disappointed when I saw they would be making another film. The 2nd film was not my favorite film ever.

I agree that Goldsmith's cues are more listenable when compared to the how Silvestri's album is a better listen.

More when more forum members weigh in....if they want to for a second time! ;)

Haven't heard Silvestri's score yet. And yes, I'm looking forward to Edelman's effort. Although I completely forgot about it until this thread reminded me. Not really expecting or hoping for much from it, but I really like his Dragonheart. So if he delivers something in that vein again it could be fun.

BTW, I discovered just last night that Edelman composed the theme music for MacGyver. The most-est awesomeness TV theme music ever!!!

I've always loved both scores, but I edge more in favor of Jerry's. The first score tends to capture that old time serial feel much better, which is suitable for the film, and where Jerry peaks in the score, it's much more memorable and emotionally satisfying. Silvestri's sequel score is indeed mega-epic, melodic and so bold, you could cut through the sound waves with an Arab sword. It's a terrific score and I wish there were more like it these days, but perhaps the lack of scores in a similar style make this a rare delicacy to be enjoyed only when a composer with true talent is allowed the opportunity. Forget about Jerry's style being rare, it's outright extinct. Just listen to tracks like "The Caravan", "Camel Race" and "The Sand Volcano", and with Silvestri's, "Evy Kidnapped", "My First Bus Ride" and "Sandcastles" - good luck, new generation of composers.

Second answer, no.

Goldsmith's peaks are higher than Silvestri's, yes, but Silvestri's score is more consistant and consistantly exciting to me. If I had to choose an album to put on, it would be Silvestri's. If I had to choose a particular cue, it would probably be one of Goldsmith's. I love his 'Arabian' sound. Oh and the transition in the end credits, from the Love theme to the action stuff makes for one of my favorite end credits ever.

So, Silvestri's would be my pick, but it's definitely a photo-finish.

And I am not looking forward to Edelman's score. He does come up with goo thematic stuff every once in a while, but, overall, he is one of the least impressive film composers working.

Well said.

Both great scores, but Goldsmith's edges in front for me.....but not by much.....

And Yes - I'm looking forward to hear what Edelman makes of it.....

Greg

I like both Mummy scores a lot, all though if I had to really choose just one it would be Goldsmith's Mummy score. I listen to that a lot more than Silvestri's.

As far as looking forward to Edelman's Mummy score....no I'm not. I might end up checking out some cues first before I even think about buying it.

While i find it hardly debatable that in terms of 'uniqueness' the Goldsmith is miles ahead of Silvestri, it surprises me to hear the word 'cohesiveness'.

in regard to the Silvestri

Silvestri wrote a more broad variant on Goldsmith's typically idiosyncratic music, complete with Indiana-Jones-type marches and 30s-like menace chords for the bad guys, but when the 75-Minute album is over, the last word that comes to my mind is 'cohesiveness'. It's certainly rousing in spots, but with so much incidental music and a lot of rather unappealing 'chaos' and last but not least a very fake sounding elegy in it's final third (haven't seen the movie, except for some parts on TV).

So i'd say that you'd prefer the Silvestri if you're more for broad and massive Hollywood style, while the Goldsmith is more for the mean-and-lean listeners, who prefer their adventure music hard-edged to the tee.

Edelman = One of the worst composers ever. Sorry GoldsmithFantatic ;)

Acceptance not given. :lol:

Edelman isn't at all close to being one of the worst composers ever, and I honestly don't believe you have heard even a fraction of Edelman's work Koray. To simply judge him as one of the worst composers ever proves this and to base your judgment on a few dud scores of his is really narrow minded.

All composers have their bad days. Your favourite composer is Hans Zimmer. I don't think that gives you much credibility at all. You mentioned to me you are tired of Indiana Jones because the march is so popular (a brilliant piece) and you are sick of hearing it.... Yet you are quite happy to praise a dozen of vastly inferior repetitive Zimmer equivalents. This presents me with nothing but blind confusion.

Goldsmith.

Yes. We'll see how it turns out.

I've always loved both scores, but I edge more in favor of Jerry's. The first score tends to capture that old time serial feel much better, which is suitable for the film, and where Jerry peaks in the score, it's much more memorable and emotionally satisfying. Silvestri's sequel score is indeed mega-epic, melodic and so bold, you could cut through the sound waves with an Arab sword. It's a terrific score and I wish there were more like it these days, but perhaps the lack of scores in a similar style make this a rare delicacy to be enjoyed only when a composer with true talent is allowed the opportunity. Forget about Jerry's style being rare, it's outright extinct. Just listen to tracks like "The Caravan", "Camel Race" and "The Sand Volcano", and with Silvestri's, "Evy Kidnapped", "My First Bus Ride" and "Sandcastles" - good luck, new generation of composers.

What the gentleman in the hat said.

Great scores both, but I prefer Goldsmith's; splendid themes and action.

Silvestri's "Mummy" action is a bit too much at once.

Yes, I'm looking forward to Edelman's score. He is absolutely not the worst composer, by far. He has a knack for very catchy themes, can write nice melodies and do action. Will it be more symphonic this time? Possibly not, but he is good at doing orchestra-cum-electronics, especially because he doesn't just do techno rhythms and has strong themes. Since the Mummy series is very tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure he can do something appropriate, while including exotic aspects as he did for Shanghai Noon, which is rather close to the Mummy movies in spirit, albeit more comedic.

This is as tough a choice now as it was ever. Both scores are really very good, quite different and both work great in the film. I will have to go with Silvestri's though. The Mummy is by far not Jerry Goldsmith's best, though The Mummy Returns IS Alan Silvestri's best as far as I'm concerned. Of course the original soundtrack left off a lot of great music, especially from the finale, but the complete version of The Mummy Returns is certainly much better than the OST. I also think it comes pretty close to Cutthroat Island as far as sheer enthusiasm and awesome action music is concerned. That combined with good themes and even the ocasional beautiful incidental music, makes this one an absolute winner. Of course Jerry Goldsmith's score is also very good and the highlight of that score are probably better than the highlight of The Mummy Returns. However, I don't very much like the horror-y aspect of The Mummy, which is much less apparent in The Mummy Returns, which is a lot more all-out large-scale adventure.

I definitly look forward to Randy Edelman's score for the third Mummy film. I like Dragonheart. Shame that Alan Silvestri didn't get to do it - I would've much preferred that - but I always welcome the opportunity for a big orchestra adventure score. And if it turns out to not be so very good, we'll at least be having Indiana Jones and the Kingom of the Crystal Skull to look forward to, which will deliver in spades. :lol:

I definitely prefer Goldsmith's over Silvestri's. I agree that The Mummy Returns is a little more cohesive, but I find that particularly on the OST there are several dull areas near the beginning, and I find that Goldsmith's is just more... intelligent somehow. It's not going for the cheese or the spectacle, but really scoring the underlying drama.

Contrary to many around here, I am looking forward to what Edelman comes up with. True, he's done some really sappy stuff in the past but I think that if he works with a full orchestra we could see something good. A new score is a score after all.

BTW - I've heard a lot of things about Goldsmith not taking the mummy Returns because he didn't like the original movie and found the scoring process unenjoyable. I find this strange because I also heard that he had a reputation for being very open minded about the movies he took on. How much of this is true?

I've always been puzzled by that too as well...the explanation seems a little....too small I guess.

The Mummy was one of his most high-profile films, and the third best selling soundtrack of 1999 (his best seller since Total Recall).

So he must really have hated it, or had problems with someone on the film.

So he must really have hated it, or had problems with someone on the film.

Rumour has it that Sommers got on Goldsmith's back after initial scoring was finished and forced him to stay in a London hotel room several weeks longer than planned to write more music than originally spotted. Goldsmith argued that the extra music wasn't necessary (or at least he saw it that way).

Since Goldsmith seemed open to suggestions generally, it obviously was a matter of bad communication. It remains his secret why he thought the film so much worse than 'Along came a Spider' or 'Rent-a-Cop', though.

I somehow had a hard time believing that it wasn't due to some extenuating circumstances like that because... well how can anyone not find The Mummy a funny and firmly tongue-in-cheek movie?

And given the quality of the music we got, I don't believe that Goldsmith didn't like the film.

Edelman = One of the worst composers ever. Sorry GoldsmithFantatic ;)

Acceptance not given. ;)

Edelman isn't at all close to being one of the worst composers ever, and I honestly don't believe you have heard even a fraction of Edelman's work Koray. To simply judge him as one of the worst composers ever proves this and to base your judgment on a few dud scores of his is really narrow minded.

All composers have their bad days. Your favourite composer is Hans Zimmer. I don't think that gives you much credibility at all. You mentioned to me you are tired of Indiana Jones because the march is so popular (a brilliant piece) and you are sick of hearing it.... Yet you are quite happy to praise a dozen of vastly inferior repetitive Zimmer equivalents. This presents me with nothing but blind confusion.

Goldsmith.

Yes. We'll see how it turns out.

O.K. Let's go through this.

1. Hans Zimmer is most definitely NOT my favorite composer. Mine go in this order --> John Williams, Ennio Morricone, James Newton Howard, Michael Giacchino, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell.

2. Randy Edelman has more than just a few duds. His last good score was DragonHeart, 12 years ago. Gettsyburg and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story are decent. I don't even give him credit for The Last Of The Mohicans, that was all Trevor Jones.

3. Indiana Jones and Star Wars are brilliant scores, but I cannot listen to them for the pure fact of what they are. Same thing with Jaws. Do I think they are inferior to anything by Zimmer & Friends? Hell no.

Which score do you like better, and why?

The Mummy...by Jerry Goldsmith [ 23 ] [71.88%]

The Mummy Returns...by Alan Silvestri [ 9 ] [28.13%]

Are you looking forward to Randy Edelman's score to the third film?

Yes [ 14 ] [43.75%]

No [ 18 ] [56.25%]

I think it is safe to say that the majority of the voting for these two poll questions is done, and I am not really that surprised by what I see. I knew that Goldsmith would win over Silvestri, but I wanted to see just how many people voted for Silvestri. I am happy with it. Also, about Randy Edelman -I truthfully did not think that more than a few actually liked him, just based on comments that I have read in the past.

Hope everyone liked this poll. When I have another day like I did a few weeks ago where I am in the mood to listen to a certain composer and only a certain composer, maybe I'll post another poll.

NEWS ALERT: Jerry Goldsmith wins JWfan Primary with 72% of the vote, gaining 23 delegates. Alan Silvestri announces he will fight for the nomination with the superdelegate vote. Randy Edelman is set to drop out of the race.

I'm actually surprised Alan Silvestri got that few votes. The Mummy Returns is REALLY good. Especially in its complete form. I wonder if most people base their opinions of the OST and/or the not-so-popular film. The problem is that The Mummy is ALSO really good. As far as I'm concerned, they're both pretty much equal, though quite different. Alan Silvestri wins simply because The Mummy Returns is one of his best and The Mummy is not really one of Jerry Goldsmith's best as far as I'm concerned, just one of Jerry Goldsmith's really good ones.

I like both scores, but I really prefer to listen to the Silvestri one.

I was rather dissapointed in the Debney score to the franshise's prequel of sorts, The Scorpion King. Mainly because of the terrible recording done by Shawn Murphy.

I'd be more interested in a Graeme Revell score for THE MUMMY 3.

Better strike that last comment off the record.