KOCS: Last Chance For Glory

Will John Williams redeem himself with KOCS  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams redeem himself with KOCS

• Yes, he will rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes.
    • No, his KOCS will be limp and flacid.
    • The in-between option, for those wary to take a stand on the matter!

Don't listen much to SPR and Minority Report which are kind of duds IMO ,but back in the days I thought the same thing of Missouri Breaks,The River and Presumed Innocent.

I listen to SPR and MR all the time!

However, I only listen to a few selected tracks: Hymn to the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Minority Report, Everybody Runs, Sean's Theme, Anderton's Great Escape, and Psychic Truth and Finale

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to Minority Report a lot, since it's a great score. Private Ryan, on the other hand...

Ted

The Boston Pops Superman is far worse (and cheesier) than Ottman's.

The Boston Pops recording is my favorite recording of the March. The Damon Intrabartolo conducted version on the Superman Returns album is pretty weak, certainly the weakest performance heard in any of the Superman films.

Neil

The album is an edit.

The unreleased end credits piece is nice.

And unlike the other Super sequels, it has a good orchestra playing it.

Superman II and III had a good british session orchestra put though it's paces, and IV had The National Philharmonic Orchestra.

And Returns has the Hollywood symphony, which some people say is sounds like the LSO.

But you are right, those orchestras are not bad, just small and not enough paid for many rehearshals. Munich's orchestra from IV is another matter us suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

It's exactly like I expected it to be. Nothing more,nothing less.

It's not bad or awful but it's far from great, which is a term that is thrown around a little too much.

It's exactly like I expected it to be. Nothing more,nothing less.

It's not bad or awful but it's far from great, which is a term that is thrown around a little too much.

I agree, but I definitely feel this is his best non-SW score of the 2000s. I never really got into his Harry Potter stuff.

Who knows, maybe Crystal Skull will be the one that signals The End of the Williams Era, but I'll only believe it when I hear it.

You folks who think Williams has lost his touch have lost your touch. Almost every single score the guy has written over the last twenty years has ardent admirers. Nobody can seem to agree on which are the best, but nobosy can seem to agree on which are the "worst," either. That's significant in and of itself.

If you took some sort of a consensus, I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with one single modern Williams score that would rank as anything less than "good," and the mjaority of them would lean a lot closer to "very good." Just because the guy isn't cranking out genius scores every year, it doesn't mean he isn't still a titan. For the love of buffalo wings, he had Revenge of the Sith, war of the Worlds, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Munich all in the same year, and very recently! In no sense is that indicative of a guy who has "lost his touch."

Bring on Indy IV! The movie, not the dude! Although he's cool, too! Exclamation marks!

The question is

Is it Over?

we got the Crystall skull c.d....now what

We twiddle our thumbs untill maybe he scores Deatly Hallows?

The question is

Is it Over?

Try listening to and enjoying the brilliance that is KOCS, perhaps?

Some of us don't have it yet. Ya lucky bastid.

I certainly wish he was scoring Deathly Hallows I and II (and Half-Blood Prince, for that matter), but it's not happening. I don't see Hooper being given the boot. And he did a decent enough job with Order of the Phoenix that it doesn't bother me (terrible CD, good score). If Williams returned, I'd then have to be annoyed that he had not been able to do the entire series. Who wants that kind of annoyance?

All of us, of course.

I don't see Hooper being given the boot. And he did a decent enough job with Order of the Phoenix that it doesn't bother me (terrible CD, good score).

Order of the Phoenix may be a lot of things, 'good' isn't one of them. For once, i learned to appreciate the firm hand of even square Hollywood craftmanship. So many filmic transitions which begged for more operatic music to guide the audience along are simply missed....James Horner could come up with better music if he was in a wake coma making sudden finger movements with a pencil attached.

The question is

Is it Over?

Well you can twiddle your thumbs and start all kinds of threads about Deathly Hallows.

I'm going to move on to other Williams, Goldsmith, Rozsa, North, Barry, Giacchino, Herrmann and a wealth of other great / good scores.

The question is

Is it Over?

Well you can twiddle your thumbs and start all kinds of threads about Deathly Hallows.

I'm going to move on to other Williams, Goldsmith, Rozsa, North, Barry, Giacchino, Herrmann and a wealth of other great / good scores.

What will King Mark do when Williams stops scoring movies?

I don't see Hooper being given the boot. And he did a decent enough job with Order of the Phoenix that it doesn't bother me (terrible CD, good score).

Order of the Phoenix may be a lot of things, 'good' isn't one of them. For once, i learned to appreciate the firm hand of even square Hollywood craftmanship. So many filmic transitions which begged for more operatic music to guide the audience along are simply missed....James Horner could come up with better music if he was in a wake coma making sudden finger movements with a pencil attached.

I actually wouldn't have minded Horner Harry Potter scores, just so long as he was plagiarizing the Williams themes! :P

The question is

Is it Over?

no we'll get Tintin, which will excite the non American's here, but its unknown for the most part in the states,

then we'll get lincoln, the story of a dead president,

then Interstellar if John's still alive.

Deathly Hallow's is after that. Time to become a fan of other composers KM, there is still room on the Giacchino bandwagon. You have too much taste to become a zimmer fan. James Newton Howard is great. some think Howard Shore is good based on his LOTR stuff that sounds all alike.

Horner and Elfman are starting to fizzle out. Newton Howard has done a few good ones, but he rarely interests me. Young doesn't get enough projects. Goldenthal has been off the radar. Silvestri has just been bleh. Arnold just does Bond scores.

Is Giacchino that good?

I don't think so, but so many here do. I've was shocked at my growing JNH score collection, I hadn't realized it was starting to be noticable, it will soon surpass my Goldsmith & Horner collection.

me to. I have my wishes, I wish for Deathly Hallows, I wish for a complete TOD, I wish for a real Williams horror score, but none of those are that important to life itself.

Not to mention that so many people would have retired long ago, while Williams is going to keep churning out new stuff until the day he's no longer with us, like Goldsmith. Even if it's at a reduced rate.

And how does that relate to the topic?

The question was if this is Williams' last chance for a classic score. And although every Williams is a classic in a sense, it IS IMO his last chance, and it turned out great.

sorry I can't take your word for it, I have others who disagree, and I respect their opinion, but in the end only mine will truly matter.

Giacchino

Wow it is me or is that the 1st time you have called him by his real name? ;)

I don't think so, but so many here do. I've was shocked at my growing JNH score collection, I hadn't realized it was starting to be noticable, it will soon surpass my Goldsmith & Horner collection.

Mmmm what?

JNH? I'm dissapointed joe.

I've not been mean about Giacchino in along time Luke.

Why are you disappointed about JNH, he's much better than Giacchino IMHO.

IMHO.

exactly ;)

my opinion is the one that matters most to me

but I've yet to hear a single work by Giacchino that rivals SIGNS.

James Newton Howard is great.

Ted

Still lacks a unifying voice or style, though, in my ears. Quality is almost always guarenteed. But one voice is not. I hear JNH in I Am Legend. I don't in The Water Horse. I greatly enjoy the Water Horse, more than I Am Legend. But I don't hear a specific voice. And it is frustrating, since his best scores constantly sound like him. But if it's not the cream of the crop, I find that, aside from some mannerisms and an emotional string theme, JNH rarely sounds like JNH.

I don't know what you people are talking about. I thought his score for Revenge of the Sith was great. Just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean the score wasn't exceptional. "Anakin's Betrayal", "Battle of the Heroes", "Immolation Scene" were some of the best, most moving Star Wars music I've ever heard. And all this complaing about it not sounding like the movies in the 70s and 80s is just asinine. The prequels were different so that's why the score was different. The music for the original was an operetta which suited them, while the new score was operatic. Whatever happened to an artist moving forward? That's why John Barry decided not to score any more Bond movies. Because he didn't want to look back.

I'm glad to see some of the old cues from the previous Indy movies but I want to hear something new and different too.

the score wasn't exceptional, thats one of the many problems of the film. Battle of the Heroes is just a very mediocre theme, and so poorly titled. The only exceptional parts of the score were from a movie called Star Wars, and they were completely out of place.

I feel that there's a pretty distinct JNH sound, and that most of his best efforts sound very "JNH." And as much as I enjoy the relatively small amount of music Giacchino's written so far, he has a long way to go to reach Howard's status.

The score for KOCS has driven me to drink*. Guess which option I voted for?

*Disclaimer - this is not difficult

Well, no. You are British, after all. :P

"Waaaah waaah! The movie didn't make me feel like a kid again! My childhood's ruined now! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! "

no our childhoods are secure sounds like yours is still ongoing, 7th grade right?