The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

you know, "Sirius Black Escapes" type cues .

Also "transitionnal shot" type cues when we have a big fanfare for a shot of a new landscape.Those are always interesting .Example:Another Happy Landing in RotS.

I can live with more crawling through caves underscore or General Grevious type action music beeing unreleased.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such things. Two quotes od Ark theme (one completely new version, if somewhat short), one or two of Henry Sr. theme, the longer Jungle chase with Marion's theme in the beginning. That's it for unreleased highlights. I didn't remember the rest.

Karol, who's been to the regular screening at 8 PM on May 21st.

I loved it, too.

I anticipated watching it on Tuesday night, but due to Paramount security, the prints were delivered with combination locks on one of the two cans for each print, and we ("we" being the projectionists of the nation) were unable to retrieve the combination until 11:00 a.m. my time on Wednesday.

So, at about 12:30, I watched the movie. And enjoyed it, but with a constant sort of nagging in the back of my mind.

When it was over, there was one print left to be built, so I set about building it, thinking that I had just watched a movie that was okay, but not much more. However, I immediately began replaying the film in my head, and found myself mentally noting scene after scene that I had enjoyed. After about twen minutes, I was already looking forward to seeing the movie again, so once I'd finished building the second print, I watched it a second time.

The best thing I can say about practically any movie is that I watched it twice in one day, and was not bored the second time for one single scene.

In fact, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit more the second time. I need to live with it for a while before I can start trying to rank it amongst the Indy films; all I can say for now is that it definitely isn't in first place, and probably isn't in second, either. Third is a possibility.

I know a lot of people are going to dislike it, but a lot of people are going to love it, too. The co-workers I watched it with today almost all were raving about it on the way out, and the people exiting the midnight show tonight seemed pretty pumped up by it, too, although I heard a few mild negatives, as well.

I will say that the score was lackluster. Not bad, and pretty good in a few places, but one of the weakest from Williams in his entire modern career. Of course, I haven't listened to the entirety of the CD yet, so my opinion is liable to change.

But it's not changing on the subject of the movie: it's great, it's a blast, it's no Raiders but that don't mean it's bad.

And it is DEFINITELY an Indiana Jones movie.

Okay, many people think that the OS album includes most of the music. That's simply not true, I tell you! We have 77 minutes of music on the album. The first 4 tracks are concert versions, so not in the movie. The rest IS included in the movie, but the score as heard in the film is approximately 100 to 110 minutes long!!! The music is playing almost non-stop. So there are MANY unreleased cues yet . . . and not all of it is underscore.

As far as the movie goes, well, I liked it. It's an Indy movie, all right, many great and funny action sequenes, JW's top-notch music and Spielberg's top-notch direction. Harrison and Shia acquit themselves pretty well, I thought, but Cate Blanchett was simply fantastic! I loved her. Karen Allen--well, I don't know about her. I think of all the actors, she was probably the worst.

That's for the good things. Now, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I was shocked at some of the more improbable scenes. In mean, some scenes are just plain ludicrous. One such scene involves

Mutt swinging on vines along with wild monkeys

and another involves a

refrigerator flying through the air with Indy in it

. I mean, WTF! Also I didn't like the

prairie dogs

. I mean, those scenes are just dumb!!! You don't even laugh, you just cringe. If Spielberg decides to cut those sequences, I think this would be a MUCH MUCH better movie.

And finally, I thought that the McGuffin wasn't as interesting as in the previous 3 movies.

But overall, out of 5 stars, I'd give the movie 4 1/2 stars. For this movie IS entertaining, IS funny, and IS definitely Indiana Jones. But I probably need to watch it again to better appreicate this 21st century Indy.

:cool:

so you liked it?

Mark, what can I tell you. I was so excited that I wasn't even able to sleep. I had only but a nap and I'm on my feet again! :cool:

Really, right now, there is only one thing that could make me even more happy... It is that good!!!!!!!! :)

Nobody has reported specific great unreleased highlights yet though.

Well, I was concentrating on the movie, but there are some stand-out cues/moments I can think of.

1. The Opening Scene (right after the pop song) was quite good. Militaristic, ominous, as far as I remember. Irina's Theme makes its first appearance somewhere in the first 6 minutes, before the music escalates as the action unfolds. Raiders March is played furiously, is slightly reminiscent of Flight from Peru.

2. The first half of The Jungle Chase. That whole sequence is easily over 10 minutes . . . probably around 15 minutes! Many great instances of Irina's Theme played by brass and Raiders March B section in it. What we get on the OS (a measly 4 minutes!) accompanies only the last third of the scene.

3. Holy Grail Theme . . . the theme apparently used to remind us of Indy's Father.

4. Many quieter, more ominous cues . . .

so you liked it?

Mark, what can I tell you. I was so excited that I wasn't even able to sleep. I had only but a nap and I'm on my feet again! :cool:

Really, right now, there is only one thing that could make me even more happy... It is that good!!!!!!!! :)

I'm seeing it shortly. What about the the bits I've seen on the TV spots where Mutt and Spalko are sword duelling atop the racing vehicles? I've only seen split-seconds of it, but It looks way OTT and it bothers me. Did it bother you? It looks like any attempt at an element of realism went out of the window in those moments, which worries me.

so you liked it?

I'm seeing in shortly. What about the the bits I've seen on the TV spots where Mutt and Spalko are sword duelling atop the racing vehicles? I've only seen split-seconds of it, but It looks way OTT and it bothers me. Did it bother you? It looks like any attempt at an element of realism went out of the window in those moments, which worries me.

Greateye, there are some over-the-top moments in the movie, but that's not one of them! In fact, this is one of the highlights, and made even better by JW's top-notch scoring.

I loved it
so you liked it?

I lost my fears, thanks!

:P

I guess I'm one of the few people who thought the prairie dogs were funny. But then, I'm a sucker for a doofus animal.

Well, I'm not saying they weren't funny, but I don't think they belonged in an Indiana Jones movie . . . not in the way they were shown, at least.

Also, I didn't like the Paramount logo morph . . . it's like they're trying to ridicule that old tradition! :cool:

I guess I'm one of the few people who thought the prairie dogs were funny. But then, I'm a sucker for a doofus animal.

Well, I'm not saying they weren't funny, but I don't think they belonged in an Indiana Jones movie . . . not in the way they were shown, at least.

Also, I didn't like the Paramount logo morph . . . it's like they're trying to ridicule that old tradition! :)

mmm is the paramount morphing into

a prairie dog crater?! :cool:

Also, I didn't like the Paramount logo morph . . . it's like they're trying to ridicule that old tradition! :P

mmm is the paramount morphing into

a prairie dog crater?! :cool:

Hmmmm, do you want me to say it? The answer is

yes, of course

! :)

I'm won't be surprised if 99.9% or people don't like it. And I don't mind it.

The film is all I hoped for, and more! It's diferent from the previous ones, yes.

But I don't care! I loved it all, and this is a moment to treasure, this is what I've been waiting for 19 years... and it's now here, and I can't wait to watch it again :cool:

The film is all I hoped for, and more! It's diferent from the previous ones, yes.

But I don't care! I loved it all, and this is a moment to treasure, this is what I've been waiting for 19 years... and it's now here, and I can't wait to watch it again :cool:

Well, not 99.9%, but I think maybe 50%. I think as many people are going to love it as hate it!

I had a feeling from hearing the soundtrack, that something wasn't right about this film. Having seen the film, I'm more convinced that JW had to score something very different than the first 3 films. There were some good scares and chuckles. Harrison Ford did great. But the tone of the movie wasn't right. The first 3 films had more scope and, though different from eachother in approach, also felt connected in its overall pathos. The latest movie felt too slight and wrongly paced. The tone of the movie never felt settled. Story was kind of convuluted which probably wouldn't have mattered if everything had been executed better but, anyway, that was my dissapointing impression. Easily the worst of the series for me.

- Adam

I had a feeling from hearing the soundtrack, that something wasn't right about this film. Having seen the film, I'm more convinced that JW had to score something very different than the first 3 films. There were some good scares and chuckles. Harrison Ford did great. But the tone of the movie wasn't right. The first 3 films had more scope and, though different from eachother in approach, also felt connected in its overall pathos. The latest movie felt too slight and wrongly paced. The tone of the movie never felt settled. Story was kind of convuluted which probably wouldn't have mattered if everything had been executed better but, anyway, that was my dissapointing impression. Easily the worst of the series for me.

- Adam

No, it has nothing to do with "pace" or "tone" of the movie, IMO. It's the McGuffin. We don't really care about it, and neither does Indy. We don't feel that excitement, that awe. So the whole movie become an exericse in futility. There are many great action sequences and moments, but in the end you ask yourself, what are they all going through this for? And the movie collapses.

But, honestly, the movie isn't as bad as it may appear from reading this. It's a lot of fun. Probably we need to watch it a couple of times to really "get" it.

But I don't care! I loved it all, and this is a moment to treasure, this is what I've been waiting for 19 years... and it's now here, and I can't wait to watch it again :)

One of the things that struck me when I rewatched the originals over the last couple of weeks is that they're all really quite different from each other; each film has its own identity, and Crystal Skull definitely maintains that tradition. It's very well-updated from the '30s into the '50s, and there is some of that stuff that is just terrific -- the opening and the "bar" brawl come to mind. I love the source music, too; "Hound Dog" and "Shake, Rattle 'n' Roll" are very well-used.

Yep, I definitely loved it.

Miguel, I suspect that you're going to like it even more the second time.

It's the McGuffin. We don't really care about it, and neither does Indy. We don't feel that excitement, that awe. So the whole movie become an exericse in futility.

I see what you're saying there, but I don't entirely agree -- and isn't the MacGuffin in Temple of Doom similarly vague and impersonal?

See, a MacGuffin is something the characters care about, but the audience doesn't, and the characters -- Indy included -- do care about the crystal skull here; they just don't spend a lot of time talking about how much they care about it. All the audience should care about is what they characters are doing, not so much why; we don't really need to know much more than is necessary to avoid confusion. (I'm talking here about how the MacGuffin is used in the Hitchcockian sense, of which Spielberg is most definitely a student, although he tends to only use them in Indy movies; in his other movies, the motivations of the characters tend to be extremely important.)

I don't think the prequel comparison is apt at all. Though I like the prequels (and mostly love Revenge of the Sith), I think this is a vastly better movie than that. Spielberg is still a master, in my opinion; always was, never stopped, and probably always will be. Whereas Lucas seems to have had to teach himself how to direct again.

More things I loved (spoilers ahead, although if you're wary of them, what are doing here in the first place?):

Cate Blanchett, great as always.

Shia LaBeouf, a natural-born movie star (though the script stops using him very well at some point during the third act).

The entire motorcycle escape sequence.

The entire Area 51 sequence.

The refrigerator. Goofy as hell, but my god, how can you not be charmed by the bold-faced craziness of a character surviving a nuclear explosion by climbing into a refrigerator, being thrown what seems to be several miles through the air, and climbing out to find a prairie dog looking at him slack-jawed? Man, if that don't tickle you, I don't know what will.

MOST of the CGI. There are places where it doesn't quite work -- during some of the jungle chase, it's a bit off -- but mostly, it's terrific. The mushroom cloud is terrifyingly beautiful; the climactic scene of the "space"ship, with all the boulders and building fragments orbiting it before freezing and falling to earth is one of the loveliest effects I've seen this decade. And the ants, though obviously CGI (how could they be anything else?), are great, disgusting creatures. If pressed, I suppose I prefer the "natural" approach of the first three films; but this movie is its own thing, so I see no need for it to conform entirely to what has come before it.

"None of them were you, honey." Karen Allen's smile after that line is just heart-breakingly beautiful. I don't get why some folks are saying she's bad in this movie. She's great!

The War of the Worlds reference in the score during the climax. (I'm assuming it's a referrence, and not a self-plagiarism.) I'm tempted to read too much into things, and say that the music is infomring those of us who are paying attention that these aliens come from the same place as the aliens in War of the Worlds, thereby making this a prequel . . . but that's probably silly. Right?

The "rope."

God damn, I loved pretty much the whole thing!

EDITED BY MODERATOR: PLEASE use the SPOILER tool. It's extremely useful.

Rope :)

No problem with skulls. But the ending was very anticlimactic. The movie ended exactly the way I thought it would end. That was the only true disapointment.

Nobody has reported specific great unreleased highlights yet though.

Well, I was concentrating on the movie, but there are some stand-out cues/moments I can think of.

1. The Opening Scene (right after the pop song) was quite good. Militaristic, ominous, as far as I remember. Irina's Theme makes its first appearance somewhere in the first 6 minutes, before the music escalates as the action unfolds. Raiders March is played furiously, is slightly reminiscent of Flight from Peru.

2. The first half of The Jungle Chase. That whole sequence is easily over 10 minutes . . . probably around 15 minutes! Many great instances of Irina's Theme played by brass and Raiders March B section in it. What we get on the OS (a measly 4 minutes!) accompanies only the last third of the scene.

3. Holy Grail Theme . . . the theme apparently used to remind us of Indy's Father.

4. Many quieter, more ominous cues . . .

There was no Grail theme in the film. You're mistaking it with the other one from LC.

Karol

Yeah, the father's theme was used appropriately, I thought, several times.

I thought the CGI and the lighting were two things that also contributed to my detachment with the film. I don't remember the first 3 films every being lit so much it seemed like they were acting on a stage or something. That happened for parts of the film, including the beginning when I was trying to get my bearings with the film. And then there was a lot more CGI than I thought they had promised which was particularly distracting in the Jungle sequence, IMO.

- Adam

Loved it. I know people will have (and already are having) a hard time with the eventual resolution and story, but the Indy movies have always not only reflected the times they portray, but the movies that were made in that period. It was a great 50s SF flick melded with an Indy movie, and that was enough for me. Blanchett was brilliant, Leboeuf was a big and pleasant surprise, and very little of it felt forced or shoehorned in. The Indy/Marion bickering was brilliant, and the corny old-fashioned arc for them made me smile. This is a movie for a less cynical age, and it made me smile throughout.

I was hoping up until the last moment that they used real ants, but no such luck.

Actually, I thought the ants looks horrible...

The bugs in ToD and the rats in TLC looked much better, not to mention the snakes and spiders in RotLA! :)

There was no Grail theme in the film. You're mistaking it with the other one from LC.

Karol

Sorry, I meant the "Father's Theme."

Loved it. I know people will have (and already are having) a hard time with the eventual resolution and story, but the Indy movies have always not only reflected the times they portray, but the movies that were made in that period. It was a great 50s SF flick melded with an Indy movie, and that was enough for me. Blanchett was brilliant, Leboeuf was a big and pleasant surprise, and very little of it felt forced or shoehorned in. The Indy/Marion bickering was brilliant, and the corny old-fashioned arc for them made me smile. This is a movie for a less cynical age, and it made me smile throughout.

Again, I have no problem with the whole si-fi thing. It fits well in the timeline. It just doesn't seem to offer much surprise, story-wise. You know, the thing to top, say, the jungle chase and all the sequences eariler in the movie. I was kind of like: That's it? No climax?

And is it just me or the accent of Blanchett comes in and out?

Karol

I understand where you're coming from. It felt natural to me though, and I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't sure how it would go, especially after the rumours.

I am so, so glad I went into this spoiler-free though.

Miguel, I suspect that you're going to like it even more the second time.

It all depends on the company :)

But yes, even if I go all alone, I'll have the time of my life... again! :)

This is a movie for a less cynical age, and it made me smile throughout.

Years ago, a dear friend of mine told me "Miguel, you're not cynical, and you'll never be..."

And right now, I'm so damn glad he was right :)

And I loved how

the Henry Jones Senior theme was used in the end of the film... the son became the father, Indy became Henry.

Wonderful :)

EDITED BY MODERATOR. I REALLY didn't need to read this.

People are different and have different tastes. One doesn't have to be a cynic to not get involved in a particular movie. Its good that lots of people are enjoying it and even critics (cynics if there ever were ones) seem to be giving it a favorable reviews of upwards of 80% (though I havent checked RottenTomatoes recently).

- Adam

And I loved how

the Henry Jones Senior theme was used in the end of the film... the son became the father, Indy became Henry.

I liked that too. :)

Karol

EDITED BY MODERATOR: DO NOT QUOTE UNCOVERED SPOILERS!

No, it has nothing to do with "pace" or "tone" of the movie, IMO. It's the McGuffin. We don't really care about it, and neither does Indy. We don't feel that excitement, that awe.

The Shankara Stones were 1000% more boring than the Skull and the Grail has always felt to me as a lesser substitute to Ark (another religious object of supernatural powers - a clear RotLA rehash).

(...)

That happened for parts of the film, including the beginning when I was trying to get my bearings with the film. And then there was a lot more CGI than I thought they had promised which was particularly distracting in the Jungle sequence, IMO.

(...)

- Adam

It seems you so desperately wanted to like the movie that you just couldn't let yourself go with the flow of it. It's like desperately wanting to fall asleep. The more you try, the less you acheive.

As for CGI, I found it less distracting than the fx in TLC (mainly the Zeppelin scene and airplane scene), except one particular moment -

Grievous-like death of Irina. I'd rather have some rubber dummy full of red paint and animal guts exploding than computer generated desintegration.

Summing up, the movie has couple of shots which make one cringe (

prairie dogs, Tarzan scene and the flying refrigerator

, but overall it has a lot of what made the previous Indy movies so entertaining - great charactres, charm, humour and top-notch action.

I don't think the Sankara Stones were more boring . . . and besides, we wanted to see the kids rescued!

Summing up, the movie has couple of shots which make one cringe (

prairie dogs, Tarzan scene and the flying refrigerator

, but overall it has a lot of made the previous Indy movies so entertaining - great charactres, charm, humour and top-notch action.

I agree about the cringe-worthy scenes, but I love it that you call one of them

the Tarzan scene

. :):):)

It was like... Terminator 3 compared to the first two.

I disagree. T3 is to its series what The Last Crusade was to Indy. Skull is more Live Free or Die Hard.

Now I disagree. TLC was a fabulous conclusion to the Indiana Jones myth. T3 was unnecessary appendage to the first two. And that is how I feel about TKOTCS. Sadly.

To FattyMcButterpants:

Hey it was Father’s theme and not a Holy Grail. So nothing wrong with Williams memory, try to test yours. :)

The prairie dogs were prequel CG critter worthy.

Oddly, I can say that if this movie had starred Brendan Fraser in his Mummy role, I'd be absolutely raving about it. Not that I'm saying it would be a better movie with Fraser instead of Ford. Its a terrific summer flick, but whether its a terrific Indy flick I'm less sure...

And I loved how

yargh.

those kind of comments should be spoiler tagged miguel! :)

:)

Really i'm pro-CGI as no one here, but all the things that i are reading are dissapointing.

I really hoped they were going classic-SFX. Its seems CGI is used even to substitute real animals...

And I loved how

yargh.

those kind of comments should be spoiler tagged miguel! :)

I apologize. I don't mind spoilers, and forget that others do... Heck, if I new the whole plot, I still would have had a kick out of this one :)

ts seems CGI is used even to substitute real animals...

Real animals dont do cutesy tricks, and real (just in case you dont even have the OST yet)

ants

arent scary...

Anyway, Roger Ebert has a very interesting article (minor spoilers) on the film's Canne's premiere on his bloghere.

Anyway, Roger Ebert has a very interesting article (minor spoilers) on the film's Canne's premiere on his bloghere.

Wow, I love this review!!! It made me see KotCS in a different light somehow . . . and suddenly it's like I "get" some of the more outlandish things that happen in the movie. Well, it changed my opinion of it somehow and KotCS is definitely one of my favorite movies now. This will never top RotLA, but this is still one hell of a great and entertaining movie!

Thanks, Roger Ebert.

Thats not his review, that was merely a blog post of the premiere and some observations.

This is his review.

Well, then his blog post changed my opinion of KotCS. Whatever!

I especially loved the paragraph that starts: Spielberg at heart will always be that kid who sneaked onto the back lot at Universal and talked himself into a job. He's the kind of man who remains in many ways a boy. He likes neat stuff.

To go on would be to reveal major SPOILERS.

Saw the film today. I liked it a lot. And Williams' music was almost like a different score in the film as opposed to how it's represented on the album, which was stuffed up pretty badly as far as I'm concerned.

I'll write more about the film later.

But I don't care! I loved it all, and this is a moment to treasure, this is what I've been waiting for 19 years... and it's now here, and I can't wait to watch it again ;)

I share Mig's feelings 100%. I want to go see it again.

My initial thoughts, with ZERO spoilers:

Big disappointment. Starts out really promising, felt just like a Indy film, I was really loving it. Went downhill pretty fast once the actual quest began about half way through. As for the cg debate, well the cgi itself didn't bother me, but the impossible human acrobatics it allowed, did. The Indy sequels always had their fair share of dumb OTT moments and stunts, but this just took the biscuit.

Film concentrates far too much on the supporting cast, who do their best with what they have (Marion has practically no screen time at all) and not nearly enough time on Indy himself. Like the last Rambo movie, the main character almost feels like a supporting role in his own movie. Way too many come along for the adventure, film should've had him and Mutt, or him and Mack, one sidekick is plenty. The script has a couple of decent lines, but on the whole it is average stuff, with the humour in particular feeling uncomfortably forced at times. Pacing is off too, saggy middle section needed some more scissor work to keep things moving along. Then we have the very final scene: it just felt wrong wrong wrong. I cringed. Easily the worst pre-end credits scene of the quadrilogy ;)

Still entertaining and pretty fun though and no worse than your average decent summer movie, but when you're following possibly THE three best summer movies of all time, then it is only right for you to be judged against them, and this was the weakest entry. It didn't spoil the legacy, but it didn't expand upon it either.

***/***** - Just.

Way too many come along for the adventure, film should've had him and Mutt, or him and Mack, one sidekick is plenty.

Finally someone else noticed. Yes, its not really cool how Indy drags along a gang

of 4

for most of the movie. Thats one more than the last half hour of The Last Crusade

Still entertaining and pretty fun and no worse than your average decent summer movie, but when you're following possibly THE three best summer movies of all time, then it is only right for you to be judged against them, and this was the weakest entry. It didn't spoil the legacy, but it didn't expand upon it either.

This is where it gets a bit difficult. You can't deny its a good summer fun, but it also has to be held up against its magnificent predecessors. We need a double rating system! One 'normal' star rating and the Indy-O-Meter!

Any thoughts on the score?

I liked it. Much better in the film than on the cd, but as with the movie, it's no classic entry into the Indy canon.

The unreleased stuff (quite a bit of it) hardly warrants an expanded release. I wouldn't buy it anyway.

I had a feeling it would turn out that way

I think those that first posted about nothing important beeing left off didn't listen enough to the OST before seeing the film

I had a feeling it would turn out that way

I think those that first posted about nothing important beeing left off didn't listen enough to the OST before seeing the film

I agree.

I already posted the cues I want somewhere else . . .

This score is on the same level as, say, Prisoner of Azkaban, I think. It's VERY good, really, the soundtrack presentation is also quite good, but I still would love to have the complete Jungle Chase, and the MANY variations of Raiders March, Irina's Theme, Marion's Theme, and yes, even the underscore.

They should just release the complete editions of all 4 Indy movies and be done with it!

The second time the film is better. The ending still bothers me. The problems is that none (of the protagonists) really needs to be present there. Without them it would play out exactly the same, if you think about it. So the whole chases and fights before seem kind of pointless. But the rest I liked this time. Even with all the stupids things going on it was still more entertaining than most films these days.

The noticed more music than yesterday. I liked the whole warehouse sequence. Definitly more themes than I heard before. Some nice variations on Irina's theme (which I like pretty much) throughout the course of the film and literally endless variations on the Indy's theme.

I will be bunkrupt by the end of this week ;)

Karol