The 2nd OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Rotten Tomatoes it got 76 now.. well of course that doesn't mean much.. only that there are 32 positive reviews and 10 negative and not all of them sound THAT bad

Oh I don't need convincing, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna love every indulgent minute of it!

This positive and refreshingly grounded review was enough to confirm my hunch. It's rare I disagree with the writers of that publication.

Oh I don't need convincing, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna love every indulgent minute of it!

Well neither do I .. I don't care for reviews... I will have a good time in cinema I think

I only go see movies that I think will be good. So far I've only disliked one or two movies I've seen in theaters my whole life.

Since I will be going to see this, there's a 90% chance I'll love it.

My instinct only lets me see decent to amazing movies. :)

To those who have watched the movie, how close is Skull to LC in terms of tone and humor?

I dont know but one reviewer here said that the humour, a trademark of the other 3 movies was absent in this movie.

Which i find very unlikely because:

a)Raiders and Tod have their jokes but are not humour movies (and the humour was one of the 'detriments' of Last Crusade)

b) i think i read Spielberg saying that this was as fun and comical as Last Crusade

Aside from rotten tomatoes, the advanced IGN review as well as the two reviews at joblo.com were poor.

Well I don't know about the IGN one, it seemed very positive to me. They enjoyed it according to this link

Bottom line, I think if you're not a fan of LC, you probably won't like this one either.

I was referring to the UK one: http://movies.ign.com/articles/874/874909p1.html

Heck, if you look at just IGN, IGN UK gave it 2 and 1/2 stars, US gave it 3 stars and AU gave it 3 and 1/2.

I've found most of the complaints to be with the artifact and what it pertains to, and the fact that it's not like the originals. Well, so far I haven't had a problem with any of that and I've enjoyed what I've seen in the trailers. Maybe people have built this up too much? Alright, so maybe I'm not really nerve racked, but I'd be a lot more comfortable if this was getting high praises across the board.

And the venerable Jeff Bond shares his thoughts:

"I am sorry, but it looks mostly positive to me. Yeah, you have a few pretentious snobs who are upset it's not the latest installment in My Dinner With Andre, but to hell with them."

I hate comments like this--why is it anyone who cares to devote more than one half a brain cell to thinking about how a movie works is automatically a "pretentious snob"?

My reaction is the midsection of the movie plays TOO MUCH like My Dinner With Andre in terms of it being weighed down by tons and tons of leaden exposition that doesn't really pay off. But I did enjoy large parts of the film--Cate Blanchett is a great villain, the opening of the film is terrific, Harrison Ford slips back into Indy easily. The design and visual effects are superb. The problem for me is the plot is just nonsensical and there's no built-in payoff for Ind's character--that part is shoehorned into the movie.

And I have to say that Williams' score has the least impact of any in the series--don't ask me whether the score itself was any good: it was dialed too low to notice any music other than the stuff repeated from earlier scores.

Does that mean that Williams' score is of a reasonable volume this time around then? Last Crusade got the mix right, the sound effects and music complimented each other, unlike ToD where everything was just LOUD, particularly the music, and sometimes intrusively so.

I often agree with Jeff, but sometimes I don't, still keeping an open mind

In an Indy film, I WANT to hear Ben Burrt's legendary THWACKS and CRRACKS just as much as anything JW has to offer. I think it's healthy that they should have to compete for audible space.

And I have to say that Williams' score has the least impact of any in the series--don't ask me whether the score itself was any good: it was dialed too low to notice any music other than the stuff repeated from earlier scores

:blink:

If those comments were written by your regular film critic, I'd be concerned. As it happens they were written by a film score enthusiast, no less.

Film music fans can be extremely/obsessively nit-picky beasts in nature.

I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: Whoops! Wrong message board :blink:

don't worry aboot KM, he'll see it in Kanadia's finest theatre,

featuring a 9 foot by 16 foot screen, for you poor people under the awful metric system thats 2.74320 meters by 4.87680 meters.

And the theatre features state of the art monoaural sound.

there is nothing for KM to worry aboot.

will you watch it in French?

I would NEVER see an American movie dubbed in French. American movies are presented in English at all the important cineplexes,and dubbed in french at cinemas I never go to for idiots that only speak french.

I am English and I only speak English, but thankfully that does not default me to 'dumb' status, since us English are inherently very intelligent, as you know.

Indiana Jones et le Royaume du Crane Crystal

Indy couvrir votrei coeur

:blink:

Language is a big deal here in Quebec and protection of the French language is a big political issue.

I am fully french as I was born in a french canadian family,did all my school and university in french ,but yet very americanized as I only watch American TV and movies.I am somehow very far from the "Quebec" culture.

I speak mostly french now.

I speak English with my childhood friends mostly,which I do not see that much anymore.

But also,oddly,I only type in English ,as in this MB and the other places I visit on the Internet .

I speak English with my childhood friends mostly,which I do not see that much anymore.

This perhaps may be a silly question, from an ignorant person, but have you ever actually been to France?

I don't mean to pry, but I genuinely do find this intriguing. :blink:

TGE, are they doing a midnight showing near you?

Yes they are. The Odeon in Aintree (near the racecourse) to be precise.

I won't be going though. I'm going to the 2pm showing on Thursday.

This perhaps may be a silly question, from an ignorant person, but have you ever actually been to France?

Nope.

French is really the main language of Quebec,the same way it is in France. But it's not spoken in the same accent, a bit like American english vs British english

Nope.

French is really the main language of Quebec,the same way it is in France. But it's not spoken in the same accent, a bit like American english vs British english

I understand what you mean. Thanks for the small, yet quite insightful peek into your background :blink:

Nope.

there is no "American" english, there is New England English(Maine, Boston subsets), there is New York English

there is Southern English(with virtually every southern state having a subset, except Florida they are either cuban or new yorkers), There is middle America English which is to say no accent at all, there's North Midwestern, Minnisota and Wisconsin, ugh, the further west the more flat the tone. Texas is spanglish now, Louisiana has cajun and creole, and ebonics is everywhere too. Still you can drive over 3000 miles and virtually everyone can understand you, there is no other place in the world thats like that.

Nope.

there is no "American" english, there is New England English(Maine, Boston subsets), there is New York English

there is Southern English(with virtually every southern state having a subset, except Florida they are either cuban or new yorkers), There is middle America English which is to say no accent at all, there's North Midwestern, Minnisota and Wisconsin, ugh, the further west the more flat the tone. Texas is spanglish now, Louisiana has cajun and creole, and ebonics is everywhere too. Still you can drive over 3000 miles and virtually everyone can understand you, there is no other place in the world thats like that.

Russia?

You can go from mexico (or even texas ;) ) to Argentina speaking only one language too, since you didnt said country but place.. :blink:

Not in Mexico Luke there are several sections where they have their own dialect(not just an accent)

Not everyone in russian speaks russian.

don't know about Argentina though

Not in Mexico Luke there are several sections where they have their own dialect(not just an accent)

Not everyone in russian speaks russian.

don't know about Argentina though

Dude there are also dialects-languages in North america from the indians, many immigrants speak their native languages. I mean non all US citizens speak English. But there must be an official language (that is taught at schools) that unifies them all.

The official language is Spanish in central and south america (minus brasil, surinam and the french guyana) as much as english is the official language of USA. Each country has its particular words, but you can understand it, and i'm sure that in the US, there must be words particular for some states, since some have some spanish history, other french, etc..

I'll be seeing it tomorrow night.. Well, tomorrow midnight.. my local Cinema is showing an advanced screening. ;D

Prairie dogs - read at your own risk. If I'm wrong someone can correct me but based the info given to me:

The Paramount logo does begin like the three previous films but the mountain this time is a small prairie dog hill.

I've seen the movie and yes this is correct. We see the logo and hear John Williams' evil string cluster (from Lost Ark's opening) but

it doesn't stay evil for long, as it immdiately dissolves into a mound of dirt before a cute little praire dog or ground hog peeks his head through and digs his way out before nearly getting run over by a speeding car. And then the music changes to Elvis' Hound Dog.

We see prairie dogs two more times through the rest of the movie.

Eric,

Is the scene with the

computer generated monkeys during the jungle chase

as awful/distracting/unnecessary as some of the early reviews suggest?

Looks like we'll be seeing it Saturday or Sunday, I'm going at lunch to buy the soundtrack. At this point I'm more excited to be getting my new phone than my new JW soundtrack.

Eric,

Is the scene with the

It was probably unnecessary, but

the monkeys

looked really good and overall it was an effective scene. Not quite as effective as the

computer genereated ants

later on. That scene blew me away and was definitely a highlight of the movie.

I watched the movie yesterday and I find it really good. Not Raiders good, but definitelly not worse than its other sequels (it has many of the same flaws that they had - a certain silliness, some over the top scenes and so on). On the other hand, nostalgia and high expectations may make people not enjoy it the way they did ToD and TLC.

What I liked the most were the new characters - Mutt, Mac and Irina. The chemistry between them and Indy is more like between Indy and his dad and watching these characters together is a real fun. Both Winstone and Shia did a great job, but it's Blanchett who is stellar. She is the best villain since Beloq. Her expression is restrained, but whenever she appears on screen, you cannot take your eyes off her. She also does well in the action scenes. During a jungle chase she is a real menace.

Some reviews said the movie lacks humour of the original movie. That's not true. There is a lot of witty dialogue and a lot of not so witty, but funny as well. Both ToD and TLC had the same amount of it. There are also slapstick scenes, some appear to be very goofy, but then again, they were also common in the previous movies (to mention for example an over-the-top Slalom on Mt. Humol scene from ToD).

Eric,

Is the scene with the

It was probably unnecessary, but

the monkeys

looked really good and overall it was an effective scene. Not quite as effective as the

computer genereated ants

later on. That scene blew me away and was definitely a highlight of the movie.

Yep, I don't mind it either and I see no reason why to find it distracting unless someone is distracted by anything that is CG.

Prairie dogs - read at your own risk. If I'm wrong someone can correct me but based the info given to me:

The Paramount logo does begin like the three previous films but the mountain this time is a small prairie dog hill.

I've seen the movie and yes this is correct. We see the logo and hear John Williams' evil string cluster (from Lost Ark's opening) but

it doesn't stay evil for long, as it immdiately dissolves into a mound of dirt before a cute little praire dog or ground hog peeks his head through and digs his way out before nearly getting run over by a speeding car. And then the music changes to Elvis' Hound Dog.

We see prairie dogs two more times through the rest of the movie.

I like the usage of old Paramount logo very much and I am preety happy that it does morph into something real life, instead of LucasFilm logo. As for the ground hogs, they were an unnecessary joke, but there were other scenes that bothered me more, e.g. a fridge scene

Another thing I liked was the presentation of the 50s. Source music, different cars, different fashion and a general cold war paranoia.

There were also things I didn't like so much and surprisingly I find the music one of them. :) Skull theme sounds more like Basic Instinct than IJ. Irina's Theme is too subdued to be memorable enough and Mutt's theme - though entertaining - it is not very memorable either. The action music is nowhere near to the music in the previous Joneses. I remember long discussion about the supposedly hacked Jungle Chase. The movie version was deffinitely longer, but I am not so sure that it was so hacked on the album. The Mutt's theme is definitely very prominent in that cue.

I am also kind of dissapointed with

Marion's character. Her realtionship with Indy somehow doesn't convince me, especially after what he did to her and the time they were separate. Moreover, she sometimes behaves like a teenager girl in love, grinning all the time and looking at Indy with so much affection in her eyes.

As for the special effects, they were generally very good, however

the computer generated demise of the villains, especially Irina, was kind of disappointing compared to very realistic scenes in Raiders and TLC. I liked the demise of Boris, though.

There may be some concern among the fans and critics about [bEWARE - a damn big spoilers]

the climax and the finale. The first one shows CEot3K-like aliens (a nice nod to the movie) and a real flying saucer. The latter is the syrupy wedding scene, something we wouldn't expect from the movie about the cynical archeologist. Whether these scenes will be considered all right or not, it's up to viewersand their preconceptions about the series

----

Overall I liked the movie and even it one considers it to be the worst of the series (I don't), it's still 100 times better than any other adventure movie that is around thesedays.