AFTER having seen the movie: Rate the KotCS score!

Josh500

AFTER having seen the movie: Rate the KotCS score!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Indy 4

• A - I absolutely love it, another JW masterpiece! Certainly among his best efforts.
    • B - I like it, a good solid effort, but unfortunately nowhere near his top works.
    • C - So-so. I neither love nor hate it. It's okay.
    • D - Honestly, I'm a bit underwhelmed. For me, this ranks among of his less satisfying scores.
    • E - I'm sorry, but I hate it! What was John Williams thinking?

Rate this score here only AFTER having seen the movie. What's your impression now?

Rememeber, about a week ago I asked you to rate the score after having listened to the album but BEFORE having seen the movie. This was the result. An overwhelming number of people voted for B ("I like it, a good solid effort") with not quite 60%, and 23% voted for A ("I love it, another JW masterpiece). 10% voted for C ("So-so.").

Now, let's compare the result. DOES this score work better in the movie? Let's hope so, especially since The Jungle Chase must include MUCH MORE ass-kicking vintage JW music.

P.S. Even if you don't agree 100% with ANY of the above options, vote for the option CLOSEST to your own opinion.

:)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...)

DOES this score work better in the movie? Let's hope so, especially since The Jungle Chase must include MUCH MORE ass-kicking vintage JW music.

(...)

The score works in the movie well, of course, but it's far from the way the previous scores worked. The dark and ominous music works better in the movie than on the album. The silly music also works properly, since it fits the tone of the scenes.

The movie version of The Jungle Chase does NOT include any vintage JW music, but only more of the modern, non-thematic, overbearing frenzy strings vs xylophones with some brass music :)

--Chris, who cannot rate the score yet, since he has to become more familiar with the album. However, he will certainly not pick the A answer.

In some way,I hope there's no great unreleased music in the film,because it will never be released on c.d.

--Chris, who cannot rate the score yet, since he has to become more familiar with the album. However, he will certainly not pick the A answer.

Are you gonna watch it again, in the next few days???

Are you gonna watch it again, in the next few days???

I don't know. I rarely go to the cinema twice, even if I find the movie terrific. I usually hold my breath and wait for the dvd release to forget as much as I can and watch the movie as fresh as it's possible. But I liked it enough to want to watch it again <_< After all, it's a genuine Indiana Jones movie. :)

I haven't seen the film yet, but was wondering if anyone can comment on this posted by FSM's Jeff Bond:

And I have to say that Williams' score has the least impact of any in the series--don't ask me whether the score itself was any good: it was dialed too low to notice any music other than the stuff repeated from earlier scores.

Does Ben Burtt strike again?

So it seems, see this comment quoted from Christianitytoday's review

"And that destruction stirs up so much sound and fury that one of Indy's most powerful collaborators—composer John Williams—is prevented from enjoying any time in the spotlight."

garbage

The mix wasn't that bad, there are no stand-out score moments though other than the brass flourishes during the Jungle Chase which accompanies a great / fun scene. The usual geographical map shot with plane was rather lack-lustre.

Ultimately, i'll score it a solid B

(...)The usual geographical map shot with plane was rather lack-lustre.(...)

Disagree. I find it worked as good as in previous Indys.

Guest Guest

Well we'll have to agree to differ then.

Slightly surprised you feel that Chris, the previous 3 (particularly TOD's superb French horn passages) generated much more anticipation and excitement of what's to come - but hey that's just my opinion and it may change after a second viewing over the weekend when I take my niece / nephew along.

There really isn't anything noticeably absent on the CD which as KM rightly states isn't a bad thing.

Well we'll have to agree to differ then.

Slightly surprised you feel that Chris, the previous 3 (particularly TOD's superb French horn passages) generated much more anticipation and excitement of what's to come - but hey that's just my opinion and it may change after a second viewing over the weekend when I take my niece / nephew along.

There really isn't anything noticeably absent on the CD which as KM rightly states isn't a bad thing.

I didn't say it the best map-sequence underscore, but I think it worked preety good and I didn't feel anything wrong in this rendition.

(...)The usual geographical map shot with plane was rather lack-lustre.(...)

Disagree. I find it worked as good as in previous Indys.

Completely agree.

I loved the film and thought the score worked great. I can remember several versions of Henry's theme as well as Marion's that weren't included. Would've been nice to be included. I actually was very conscious of the score this time around. It's much better, IMHO, than the star wars prequels. Not as silly.

\

There really isn't anything noticeably absent on the CD

I'll see. People said that about RotS initially but it turned out to be not accurate due to the bad sound mix great cues were not noticed.

OK I just got back from the pre-release premiere (thanks to a radio DJ friend of mine). I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with the ost yet, but here goes. One, I think the score to the opening action sequence is unreleased, including the first pretty cool statement you hear of Indy's theme. Two the score was mixed as loud as it was in the predecessors, but this time the sound effects are just as loud...so the two are sorta fighting each other. Three, there's definitely some cool snippets of the score missing on the OST here and there, including a pretty good and lengthy take on Henry Sr.'s theme. Four, the jungle chase as has been mentioned is hacked into half on the OST.

Two the score was mixed as loud as it was in the predecessors, but this time the sound effects are just as loud...so the two are sorta fighting each other

It seems that sonofabitch called Burtt has not returned to vintage style, but has used his new 'agaisnt the music' attitude.

thanks for ruining the musical experience (and continuity) ;)

Okay, just saw the movie, and let me give you a few of my impressions.

I think JW is in top form with this score once again--the score works GREAT in the movie, I was especially impressed with A Whirl Through Academe, The Snake Pit, Journey to Akator, Grave Robbers, and Ants!

The score was mixed very well into the movie. Neither too loud nor too soft, IMO.

I was also impressed with The Jungle Chase, but the first half of it is missing on the OS album. Mutt's theme as it cuts into the action music is actually how it plays in the movie! As far as I remember, that's the only time Mutt's theme plays in the movie.

The Holy Grail theme plays a few times at the beginning and at the end.

The End Credits music in the movie is EXACTLY as it is presented on the OS.

We get to hear snippets of the Raiders March many times in the movie, certainly more than in TLC, perhaps as much as in RotLA. But it never gets tiresome.

And finally, there are MANY MANY unreleased cues in the movie: the music is playing non-stop in the movie, pretty much, I'd say out of 123 movie minutes, we have about 105 to 110 minutes of JW music!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, I'll give this a B+, but won't vote as there isnt that option.

Josh please include + and - variations next time!

No, I won't (for reasons stated elsewhere), but you can mention what you thought about the score in the thread proper.

Yeah, that's really confusing me. Is it the secondary Grail theme, as heard in "Ah, Rats!!!" or Henry, Sr.'s theme as heard in "Keeping Up With the Joneses"? Neither makes sense, but it's nice music, so I don't mind.

C

It's not bad and not good.. in some scenes it had this classic INdy punch-orchestra hit feel but it didn't really have a moment to shine.. what I heard was standard Williams underscoring and I didn't like the use ofIndy's Father Theme.

but right now I still have this bad taste of the movie itself .. so that I really don't want to listen to the music right now!

The thing that confuses me is: Mutt's Theme and the Skull Theme have concert arrangements on the CD. Yet neither is apparently predominant in the movie. Mutt's Theme only appears once, yet it deserves a concert piece?

What is going on here?

Mutt's theme is also featured in the credits. The Skull Theme isn't predominant in the movie? Well, it's heard at least six times on the CD.

Mutt's theme is also featured in the credits. The Skull Theme isn't predominant in the movie? Well, it's heard at least six times on the CD.

well I think it is more bvious than the sankara stone motiv

This is not good. Fans are absolutely trashing this movie. Right off the bat. No fan-colored glasses to color judgement even.

The thing that confuses me is: Mutt's Theme and the Skull Theme have concert arrangements on the CD. Yet neither is apparently predominant in the movie. Mutt's Theme only appears once, yet it deserves a concert piece?

What is going on here?

It's not a matter of how often a piece appears, it's just a matter of whether Williams thinks its concert suite worthy material.

Didn't Mutt's theme also appear in the escape from the camp and right before the snake pit? I think the Skull theme did appear quite a number of times. I definitely think its pretty prominent throughout.

I'll see. People said that about RotS initially but it turned out to be not accurate due to the bad sound mix great cues were not noticed.

Trust me, apart from the opening minutes, nothing big is missing.

The album presentation is better than the film presentation.

In the film, spank me hard, it's a mess of a score.

Oh my god, I couldn't disagree with you more!

The CD represents the score more poorly than Phantom Menace's did 9 years ago. Very similarly, he scored the movie with lots of interesting variations of old themes, but purposely chose not to put any of those cues on the OST, save for a few small instances. Instead he chose to put a lot of the slower and un-interesting cues on the OST.... very dissapointing.

Some of the new variations on the Ark Theme, Marion's Theme, and the Family Theme were brilliant, but we don't get to hear them on the OST. There were also some great cues not containing those themes absent from the OST. Also, it seemed that cues such as the Snake Pit, Whirl, and Jungle Chase were mixed different or something in the film.... in the film, they seemed more "Indy-like" and less "2000's John Williams" like.

There's probably 100 minutes or so of score written for the movie, and the OST only contains about 60 of that (remember about 15 minutes of the OST is concert arrangements), and he DEFINITELY did not pick the best 60 minutes of the score...

What is going on here?

The Crystal Skull theme plays very often in the movie.

Mutt's Theme does not. It's really like John decided after he was done writing cues for the movie that he liked a portion of the Jungle Chase enough to expand it into a concert arrangement, and called it Adventures of Mutt, and then liked that enough to put it in the end credits

I think the OS album presentation is quite good, except for the fact that we only get a fraction of The Jungle Chase.

What is going on here?

No, Mutt's theme plays only once during the movie (twice if you count the End Credits), but The Crystal Theme is the most dominant theme after Raiders March.

1. Raiders

2. Skull Theme

3. Irina's Theme

4. all the other themes

5. Mutt's Theme

It is odd for JW to write a theme for Mutt that appears only once for a particularly swashbuckling scene. Its almost like he needed something to develop more melodic material off of to fill out the soundtrack and end credits. He used the downward version of Indys' theme more than a few times for Mutt, though, including in the concert piece which suggests that he sees Mutt as growing into the main theme role.

I'd say its a very good score for an Indy film that didn't have the opportunities of the previous films to inject more heart and uplift. As a result the score is more heavy on the mystery and the jolts. He did what he had to do though. Another top notch score.

It is odd for JW to write a theme for Mutt that appears only once for a particularly swashbuckling scene.

It's like what he did with Fawkes the Phoenix, Chamber of Secrets, and Dobby the Houseelf. :)

I'd say its a very good score for an Indy film that didn't have the opportunities of the previous films to inject more heart and uplift. As a result the score is more heavy on the mystery and the jolts. He did what he had to do though. Another top notch score.

I agree. This is a very good score . . . I think eventually it will be thought of as in the same league as the previous 3 Indy scores.