No $40 mill opening day as predicted by analysts...

BLUMENKOHL

One of the cineplex I go to is 7$ a film

Most of the other ones are 12$ a film

I go on Tuesday where it is 9.99$ for the film,a medium popcorn and a softdrink...good deal,and the popcorn there is the best i've tasted.

Wait . . . don't you live in Canada?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the movie I paid $5.75 for the ticket (I always go to matinees just for cost reasons, unless someone else is paying ;) ). Then I paid $8 for just a small popcorn and small, kid sized, 2 gulp drink. My fault for not looking at the prices very carefully.

I go on Tuesday where it is 9.99$ for the film,a medium popcorn and a softdrink...good deal,and the popcorn there is the best i've tasted.

so?

so?

You should mention that you're talking about Canadian dollars.

Even though the Canadian dollar is now worth about the same as the US dollar ,most good still costs 20% more than in the US.

No, I didn't write this article, even though they used the word "crushed" (as I did yesterday). Sex and the City did an estimated $55.7 million at the box office while KOCS did $46 million.

Honestly, the mainstream media always uses sensational words like this every time there is a new box office champion. Crushed! Knocked out! Pow! You would think Adam West is involved in all this. $55-$46 is hardly crushing, $46 million is a good take for the second weekend against such a strong opening for another movie. It goes to show that there are two different audiences for these movies. KotCS may actually be the box office champion of the year or pretty close to it, I am quite surprised.

When I saw the movie I paid $5.75 for the ticket (I always go to matinees just for cost reasons, unless someone else is paying ;) ). Then I paid $8 for just a small popcorn and small, kid sized, 2 gulp drink. My fault for not looking at the prices very carefully.

Matinee prices here are $5.50 and regular admission is $8.00 per adult.

It cost my me and my son $32.00 for tickets, popcorn and drinks.

I've a sneaky feeling THE DARK KNIGHT will surpass Indy 4 in terms of box office gross for 2008.

Yes, The Dark Knight has always been my #1 prediction. Indy could easily end up #2. But this won't be decided fully over the summer, there is a new Potter movie this Christmas.

With the weekend estimates Indy 4 is up to $216.9 mil domestically. Via Box Office Mojo, the best place to keep track of such things.

I guess "crush" would be a good word to describe what the movie did with my prediction.

Yes, The Dark Knight has always been my #1 prediction. Indy could easily end up #2. But this won't be decided fully over the summer, there is a new Potter movie this Christmas.

I don't think they'll reach $300 million as easily as KotcS will.

Worlwide The Dark Knight does not stand a chance against Indy. In the US it's not very likely either. if TDK reaches 250 in the US it it will still be a very good result.

Worlwide The Dark Knight does not stand a chance against Indy. In the US it's not very likely either. if TDK reaches 250 in the US it it will still be a very good result.

Yeah, it would be VERY weird if The Dark Knight became the top-grossing movie of 2008.

IMO, it's either Indy or Harry Potter.

And incidentally, both movies boast JW themes. ;)

just out of curiosity what does your theatre charge for matinee and regular prices. it cost me 32.25 to see Indy last week for tickets and popcorn at matinee. what ticks me off is I can be at Dave's town and go to the night showing and save 7 bucks.

speaking of overprice popcorn it amazes me the difference in quality for theatre to theatre in terms of taste.

Our matinee tickets are $6.50, evening $8.75. Too expensive, in my book; if I were still paying to see movies, there are movies I'd pay to see, but I'd mostly wait for DVD. Our concessions are outrageously priced: $5.00 for a small popcorn! People still buy it, though.

Popcorn does indeed vary in taste from one theatre to the next. I don't know why that is, but it's probably got something to do with the oil and salt that are used. Our popcorn isn't very good at all; it's never salty enough, and always seems to be slightly stale to my mouth.

Luckily, I work almost exculsively in the projection booth, so I don't have to deal with any of that. I get to deal with thing like bulbs that won't come on, which happened yesterday immedaitely prior to our first show of Indiana Jones. The whole audience had to be moved to a different auditorium while I fixed the problem. I didn't have to deal with the customers, though, so good for me.

No, I didn't write this article, even though they used the word "crushed" (as I did yesterday). Sex and the City did an estimated $55.7 million at the box office while KOCS did $46 million.

Honestly, the mainstream media always uses sensational words like this every time there is a new box office champion. Crushed! Knocked out! Pow! You would think Adam West is involved in all this. $55-$46 is hardly crushing, $46 million is a good take for the second weekend against such a strong opening for another movie. It goes to show that there are two different audiences for these movies. KotCS may actually be the box office champion of the year or pretty close to it, I am quite surprised.

Given that Sex and the City had a $26 mil opening day, a $55 mil weekend isn't as impressive as it seems. That's a huuuge dropoff from one day to the next, and means that its long-term prospects aren't terribly great. It's still an excellent debut, just nowhere near as good as its Friday opening made seem likely.

And yes, Indy's second weekend was a fairly strong one. Not spectacular, but definitely not indicative that people on the whole are disliking the movie. Between Iron Man and Crystal Skull, Paramount is haveing a great summer, and Kung Fu Panda isn't going to change that next weekend.

Kung Fu Panda will be the top-grossing movie of 2008, as likely as not! :)

I don't see that happening -- it's got to deal with mild competition from The Incredible Hulk and Get Smart, but then it's got a whopper of an opponent in WALL*E, so I don't think it'll be able to stay solo quite long enough to achieve that particular goal.

But it should be able to turn some solid bank nonetheless.

I was joking!!!

Like I said before, Indy 4 or Harry Potter will be the top-grossing movie, very likely. :)

Ah, yes . . . I see now.

Don't discount Kung Fu Panda, though; it's going to open huge next weekend. There hasn't been a genuine kiddie flick this summer, so all the tots getting out of school are going to show up in force, with their wheelie shoes and their pinkish vomit. And a lot of adults are showing signs of interest, too. It's looking to be a Pixar-sized hit, which will be derailed only by the next actual Pixar hit.

Also, don't discount Iron Man, which is doing extremely well and is slowing down only moderately. It's on its way to $350 mil or so domestic. (And while we're talking comic book heroes, The Dark Knight is going to be enormous. A much bigger hit than the first one, methinks. Maybe not $350 mil big, but don't count it out.)

Let's not forget Journey to the Center of the Earth, either. $500 mil and at least thirteen Oscars for that piece of sh..., um, excellence.

With all the releases there is going to be a film that is expected to be one of the high box office films but will get pushed aside or underperform. We've seen it already happen with Prince Caspian.

Who will be next?

Prince Caspian is probably the biggest disappointment right now, it probably won't get near $200 mil. That's the closest thing to a flop right now I would think.

Prince Caspian was the definition of a "paint by number " movie

hopefully they will realise that wall to wall full MV apocalyptic choir doesn't cut it and gives movies a generic feel.

The Prince Caspian situation saddens me, since it was a good movie and the series has been satisfying so far. I think a big problem was that it was released in the wrong time of year. I guarantee it would have made more money with a Christmas release rather than a Summer one.

The Dark Knight is going to be big. Maybe not bigger than Indy, but it's going to make money, more than Batman Begins.

Prince Caspian felt like a rethead of the first movie,Timeline and LotR

People are growing tired of these epic CGI army battles and this is like the tenth movie to feature trebuchets

Since it's Sunday and I have nothing much else to do, here's the previous Potter domestic grosses:

Sorcerer's Stone (Christmas '01)- $318, #1 for year

Chamber of Secrets (Christmas '02)- $262, #4

Prisoner of Azkaban (Summer '04)- $250, #6

Goblet of Fire (Christmas '05)- $290, #3

Order of the Phoenix (Summer '07)- $292, #5

So if Indy cracks $300 maybe Potter won't be much competition after all.

The Potterdom is dwindling down ,as there are no new books in the horizon.

I think it has more to do with the composers. They are getting worse with each new movie...

I mean, Nicholas Hooper! Come on!

What we need is variations on the Hedwig's Theme, Fawkes the Phoenix, Voldemort's Theme... in other words, John Williams!

Prince Caspian felt like a rethead of the first movie,Timeline and LotR

People are growing tired of these epic CGI army battles and this is like the tenth movie to feature trebuchets

From watching the trailers and seeing the first film, I agree completely.

Here's my analysis of the summer box ofice so far, and predictions for the rest (because I know you care):

Iron Man -- big fat hit already, likely to play the rest of the summer; $350 mil

Speed Racer -- disastrous; ought to have been released in February; will become a cult classic

Prince Caspian -- a genuine puzzler, but it'll still make $150 mil or so; should have been bigger

Indiana Jones -- given a 19-year absence, extremely successful; will narrowly top $300 mil

Sex and the City -- enormous debut for a chick flick; will stall just short of $100 mil

Kung Fu Panda -- will capitalize big-time on the relative absence of kiddie movies

You Dont Mess with the Zohan -- a huge dud; lots of its core audience will be seeing the panda movie

The Incredible Hulk -- will benefit from Iron Man being a hit, and will end up over $150 mil

The Happening -- hard to say until I know if it's any good; the R rating will keep its opening low

Get Smart -- will be victimized by a panda and a hulk, but will do okay

The Love Guru -- soft opening, $40 mil tops overall; looks horrendous

WALL*E -- Pixar's biggest debut yet, and likely to dominate the rest of the summer family-wise

Wanted -- hasn't built much steam, oddly, but might be able to do well in the long run

Hancock -- will have a massive opening, but poor test screenings indicate that it may not sustain long

Hellboy II -- I think it'll open around $50 mil; the character has grown in popularity thanks to the DVD

Journey to the Center of the Earth -- non-starter; less than $20 mil opening

Meet Dave -- a bit less than $100 mil total

The Dark Knight -- biggest non-holiday opening of the summer; handily over $300 mil total

Mamma Mia! -- unless it sucks, it'll top $100 mil

The X-Files -- if Fox decides to promote it, it'll do pretty well; a bit less than $100 mil

Step Brothers -- looks hilarious, but will start slow; Ferrell's audience seems to be shrinking

The Mummy 3 -- very similar results to Prince Caspian, but this one will be seen as a hit

Pineapple Express -- it'll be no Superbad, but it'll do $50 mil or so and become a cult classic

The Clone Wars -- less than $20 mil opening, less than $50 mil total; it'll be seen as a disaster

Tropic Thunder -- Downey's second hit of the summer; slightly bigger than $100 mil total

Nice summary. I agree with you about The Clone Wars, it will be made out to be the flop of the summer just because it's got the Star Wars name.

I doubt TDK will hit 300. 250 maybe, as Ledger's demise is gotta worth something. However, I just think doesnt seem to appeal to as wide a demographic as the Spider-Man films did.

Btw, whats a matinee?

I doubt TDK will hit 300. 250 maybe, as Ledger's demise is gotta worth something. However, I just think doesnt seem to appeal to as wide a demographic as the Spider-Man films did.

Btw, whats a matinee?

A big part of the reason why Batman Begins wasn't a bigger hit than it was -- and it did well, keep in mind -- was that the Batman franchise had lost almost all of its goodwill with the public thanks to Batman & Robin. So tons of people didn't go to see it, assuming that it would merely continue the downward trend. Many of those people have since seen the movie on DVD and tv, and loved it.

They will see this one in the theatre.

I'm still cringing from the last time I took her to an R rated film and in the first 15 min they said F*** about 50 times, and then said C***. Thanks matt damon.

According to IMDB, f*** was said 237 times in the entire film.

is like the tenth movie to feature trebuchets

Its funny. I saw them 1st on Age of Empire II or read it on the timeline novel.

And now its seems to have debunked the Catapult as siege weapon in films.

Looks like Sex grossed about a million more and Indy did about 2 million less once the correct figures were released.

Since it's Sunday and I have nothing much else to do, here's the previous Potter domestic grosses:

Sorcerer's Stone (Christmas '01)- $318, #1 for year

Chamber of Secrets (Christmas '02)- $262, #4

Prisoner of Azkaban (Summer '04)- $250, #6

Goblet of Fire (Christmas '05)- $290, #3

Order of the Phoenix (Summer '07)- $292, #5

So if Indy cracks $300 maybe Potter won't be much competition after all.

Best movie made the least money

Looks like Sex grossed about a million more and Indy did about 2 million less once the correct figures were released.

Wow, sex is a very profitable thing right now! :P