No $40 mill opening day as predicted by analysts...

BLUMENKOHL

The Dark Knight will have a huge opening because of whats his names timely death. Don't kid yourself, the studio was smiling at all the free publicity because of it, and lets face it the biggest must see scene in any movie this summer is the Joker climbing out of a body bag. Thats boxoffice gold.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and lets face it the biggest must see scene in any movie this summer is the Joker climbing out of a body bag.

Last thing I heard, that bit was cut.

last I heard it was not going to be cut, for any reason.

and lets face it the biggest must see scene in any movie this summer is the Joker climbing out of a body bag.

Last thing I heard, that bit was cut.

last I heard it was not going to be cut, for any reason.

Joe is right. Christopher Nolan has said he doesn't want to alter the performance in any way.

there is no point in removing that scene to coddle people. Also there is no reason to harm the finished film because of ledger's irresponsibility. Years down the line no one will care that ledger died before the film was released or after, and the finished product should reflect that.

The Dark Knight will have a huge opening because of whats his names timely death. Don't kid yourself, the studio was smiling at all the free publicity because of it, and lets face it the biggest must see scene in any movie this summer is the Joker climbing out of a body bag. Thats boxoffice gold.

This is overly cynical and offensive, even for you.

I find it hard to believe that anyone at the studio was "smiling" over HEATH LEDGER's death. ("Whats his name," Joey?!? The man died an extremely untimely death. He deserves a little better than to be called "whats his name.") The Dark Knight doesn't need any free publicity to be a whale of a hit, given how well-liked Batman Begins is. The franchise as a whole might, however, have benefitted from being able to bring the character back in sequels. It might have benefitted more from Ledger's participation in promoting the movie, for that matter. It's a spurious claim at best to state that the studio was smiling because this poor man's death.

I find it hard to believe that anyone at the studio was "smiling" over HEATH LEDGER's death. ("Whats his name," Joey?!? The man died an extremely untimely death. He deserves a little better than to be called "whats his name.") The Dark Knight doesn't need any free publicity to be a whale of a hit, given how well-liked Batman Begins is. The franchise as a whole might, however, have benefitted from being able to bring the character back in sequels. It might have benefitted more from Ledger's participation in promoting the movie, for that matter. It's a spurious claim at best to state that the studio was smiling because this poor man's death.

Is he being too cynical? I work in a publishing house, and about two months ago one of our most respected authors died of pancreatic cancer. I was the first to find out, so I went to the chairman's office and informed him of the news. He stared at me for a half a second and then replied, "Don't tell me, tell our distributors."

it might seem cynical to you but you're being naive.

I worked at Barnes & Noble for a couple years mostly in the music section. And every time an artist died, people were in there the next day looking for CDs of the departed. I always laughed about it, does their music get better after they die?

And every time an artist died, people were in there the next die looking for CDs of the departed. I always laughed about it, does their music get better after they die?

You always laughed about it? What does that tell about ya? ROTFLMAO

And every time an artist died, people were in there the next die looking for CDs of the departed. I always laughed about it, does their music get better after they die?

Did you read my post? I wasn't laughing about the death but about the idiots suddenly clamoring for music from a dead artist. When George Harrison died the music manager actually put every Harrison CD we had up at the counter. She knew they would sell, and they did.

Did you read my post? I wasn't laughing about the death but about the idiots suddenly clamoring for music from a dead artist. When George Harrison died the music manager actually put every Harrison CD we had up at the counter. She knew they would sell, and they did.

Sure, I read your post, but what's funny about that?

If JW died and all of a sudden people started buying Star Wars and Harry Potter and Indiana Jones soundtracks, would you laugh about that too? :blink:

Sadly death can bring more recognition and sales because people who might have never listened to or watched someone will want to see what they were missing. Also once an artist or actor/actress has passed, their works become more valuable, even in a financial sense.

The Dark Knight will draw people who probably wouldn't have gone and seen the film if Ledger hadn't passed.

Sadly death can bring more recognition and sales because people who might have never listened to or watched someone will want to see what they were missing. Also once an artist or actor/actress has passed, their works become more valuable, even in a financial sense.
Sure, I read your post, but what's funny about that?

If JW died and all of a sudden people started buying Star Wars and Harry Potter and Indiana Jones soundtracks, would you laugh about that too? ROTFLMAO

No, but only because I won't be seeing it firsthand as I don't work in a music store anymore. If I did work in a music store, then yes I would laugh and roll my eyes. But my feeling on it is the same as any other artists passing, its downright silly that an artist dies and THEN people start taking an interest in their work. The artists work doesn't change after they die, that's what is silly about it. Why didn't they buy it before? JWs music is just as good today as it will be on the day JW does eventually pass away. "Oh, so-and-so died, I think I'll head out and buy their movie/CD/book." How can you NOT find that funny and ridiculous?

It's hardly appropriate though.

whose to say...

Come on people in the real world death is a money maker. And in the entertainment industry its all about the bottom dollar. don't believe it, look at Elvis, the man has been dead for 31 years and he's bigger than ever.

and Mr Scratch is right, as soon as an artist kicks the bucket, my Barnes and Noble displays the music.

when Kurt Vonnogat died, we built a table with all his books, same with Ludlem. Yes its cold and crass, but in the end death sells.

there are alot of ghoulish people who will see TDK for ghoulish reasons. I won't be one of them, if I see it its only because I'm being dragged there against my will

it might seem cynical to you but you're being naive.

I'm not being naive, I'm being respectful. There's nothing defensible in your comments, Joey. Calling somebody who died before his time "what's his name" -- as if he were beneath any human consideration and deserves to be forgotten-- is scumbag-level theatrics. You can sit there and feel like you're allowed to say whatever you want to say; there's a line, and you crossed it, and the fact that you either can't or won't acknowledge it is a sad statement about you as a human being.

Death is a money maker in the real world, but I'm not at all sure that it's for the reasons you seem to think it is. Yes, there probably will be a handful of people who see The Dark Knight because of Ledger's death. Is it because they're morbid? Maybe, but not necessarily. When an artist dies, there tends to be an outpuring of affection for that artist's work from the people who appreciated it; that affection is infectious, and has the result of making people who were unfamiliar with the artist's work want to see what all the fuss was about. It can also restimulate interest amongst people who suddenly feel that they should have paid better attention while he was alive.

I'm not being naive, I'm being respectful. There's nothing defensible in your comments, Joey. Calling somebody who died before his time "what's his name" -- as if he were beneath any human consideration and deserves to be forgotten-- is scumbag-level theatrics. You can sit there and feel like you're allowed to say whatever you want to say; there's a line, and you crossed it, and the fact that you either can't or won't acknowledge it is a sad statement about you as a human being.

Death is a money maker in the real world, but I'm not at all sure that it's for the reasons you seem to think it is. Yes, there probably will be a handful of people who see The Dark Knight because of Ledger's death. Is it because they're morbid? Maybe, but not necessarily. When an artist dies, there tends to be an outpuring of affection for that artist's work from the people who appreciated it; that affection is infectious, and has the result of making people who were unfamiliar with the artist's work want to see what all the fuss was about. It can also restimulate interest amongst people who suddenly feel that they should have paid better attention while he was alive.

sorry Bryant but I don't buy your pc bullcrap. Unlike so many here I don't respect a person who shows none for himself.

These tragic stories of "artist" who go before their time because of their own stupidy doesn't move me anymore. I'm tired of people who have it all and throw it away, and for what...a buzz? Of course my comments offend you, I'm sure they do others, sorry, I'm more offended by the continuing story, sequels if you will, Joplin, Elvis, Belushi, and Farley just to name a few, add to it Ledger. The real tragedy is the foolish worship of these false idols.

BTW the highlighted text just screams naivete' in this particular instance.

sorry Bryant but I don't buy your pc bullcrap. Unlike so many here I don't respect a person who shows none for himself.

These tragic stories of "artist" who go before their time because of their own stupidy doesn't move me anymore. I'm tired of people who have it all and throw it away, and for what...a buzz? Of course my comments offend you, I'm sure they do others, sorry, I'm more offended by the continuing story, sequels if you will, Joplin, Elvis, Belushi, and Farley just to name a few, add to it Ledger. The real tragedy is the foolish worship of these false idols.

BTW the highlighted text just screams naivete' in this particular instance.

Ah, yes, the old "he deserved to die" routine. You say you "don't respect a person who shows none for himself," but what you really mean is that you're judging Ledger, finding him guilty, and sentencing him to die a different sort of death. I'm not sure for what; Ledger's overdose was ruled an accident, so he hardly seems to have thrown his life away.

The man obviously had problems, but he doesn't seem to have been suicidal, and even if he had been, would that mean that he ought not be accorded respect and understanding? For you, the answer is obviously "no." But your viewpoint isn't the only one, thankfully.

The fallback position of the cynic is to cry "naive!" at anybody who doesn't roll about in the muck with him. I'm no bleeding heart, and calling me PC is laughable, but I do feel that people deserve respect and sympathy, and that they deserve better than to posthumously be called "what's his name." If that makes me naive -- and if it makes me naive to feel that people might have reasons other than base ones for doing the things that they do -- go ahead and call me naive.

Luckily, I'm smart enough to know better, and assured enough to laugh at you.

Ah, yes, the old "he deserved to die" routine. You say you "don't respect a person who shows none for himself," but what you really mean is that you're judging Ledger, finding him guilty, and sentencing him to die a different sort of death. I'm not sure for what; Ledger's overdose was ruled an accident, so he hardly seems to have thrown his life away.

The man obviously had problems, but he doesn't seem to have been suicidal, and even if he had been, would that mean that he ought not be accorded respect and understanding? For you, the answer is obviously "no." But your viewpoint isn't the only one, thankfully.

The fallback position of the cynic is to cry "naive!" at anybody who doesn't roll about in the muck with him. I'm no bleeding heart, and calling me PC is laughable, but I do feel that people deserve respect and sympathy, and that they deserve better than to posthumously be called "what's his name." If that makes me naive -- and if it makes me naive to feel that people might have reasons other than base ones for doing the things that they do -- go ahead and call me naive.

sometimes you're very point on, other times your as whiney as it gets, this is one of them. You used a pc line, so take responsibility for it. Belushi, Elvis, Ledger, Farley none were "suicide". Don't assume I said they deserved to die, but they did die, and they are responsible. You go ahead and continue to be that bleeding heart you deny you are, I'm not going to be, be naive if you want and not think he(Ledger) threw his life away. You know we all have problems, yet most of us don't overdose, intentionally or accidentally. By the same token most of us don't make millions, and have everything available that we'd always want. So go ahead and admire the dead drug-abusers, who threw it all away, "accidentally". Whats next for you, a you tube video of the next star who had it all and threw it away. Leave Ledger Alone.

And Marc, I'm sure this makes you very uncomfortable but you should not attempt to moderate it. There are two legitimate points of view here.

The bottom line is that a human life has been snuffed out, and this is a sad thing on the level of humanity, and on the level of a career that could've given to others and to himself. Just because people appreciate his work and pay their respects doesn't mean they condone or idolize the lifestyle or choices that contributed to such a thing. Some people are morbid, and some people are negative, but there are those who are appreciating a human life and appreciating his work, despite any flaws that many don't share, and I don't see why there's a problem with that.

sometimes you're very point on, other times your as whiney as it gets, this is one of them. You used a pc line, so take responsibility for it. Belushi, Elvis, Ledger, Farley none were "suicide". Don't assume I said they deserved to die, but they did die, and they are responsible. You go ahead and continue to be that bleeding heart you deny you are, I'm not going to be, be naive if you want and not think he(Ledger) threw his life away. You know we all have problems, yet most of us don't overdose, intentionally or accidentally. By the same token most of us don't make millions, and have everything available that we'd always want. So go ahead and admire the dead drug-abusers, who threw it all away, "accidentally". Whats next for you, a you tube video of the next star who had it all and threw it away. Leave Ledger Alone.

And Marc, I'm sure this makes you very uncomfortable but you should not attempt to moderate it. There are two legitimate points of view here.

Joey, there's nothing "whiney" in what I'm saying -- it's more like indignation for your lack of basic humanity. I don't think there's any excuse for making fun of a dead person, which is what you were/are doing whether you're man enough to admit it or not. If that makes me PC or bleeding heart, or whatever label you want to toss onto me, then so be it. I know better, anybody with any decency knows better, and that's good enough for me.

Now, in the interest of not dragging out an unfortunate topic any further, this is the last I have to say on the subject. You're welcome to a rejoinder, but it'll go unanswered, as I think I've said all that needs to be said on this subject.

Friday's estimates from BJM:

1. Kung-Fu Panda- $20

2. You Don't Mess With The Zohan- $14.5 (surprise?)

3. Sex and the City- $7.3

4. Indy 4- $6.5 (now at $236.8)

looks like its gonna find it hard to squeeze in to the 300 club

Nah, it'll get to $300 mil -- it made $22 mil this weekend against Kung Fu Panda and You Don't Mess with the Zohan, the latter of which opened much more strongly than it was expected to.

Nah, it'll get to $300 mil -- it made $22 mil this weekend against Kung Fu Panda and You Don't Mess with the Zohan, the latter of which opened much more strongly than it was expected to.

I agree, Indy will break 300 million, its good enough to. I thought Zohan was completely rediculous, and often hysterical, but then I love jewish humor too.

The whole movis is tongue in cheek, and in some places tongue in cheap.

Boxofficemojo have a showdown between Indy and Pirates 3, which grossed 309 million in the end

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/cha...p;id=indyvs.htm

as you can see, they are pretty much shoulder to shoulder, with Indy having smaller drop offs, so I think at this point it is very likely Indy will outgross Pirates 3, meaning it will gross around 310 million.

My bad. In my drowsiness I had mistooken the 6 million dollar Friday take for the weekend gross. :blink:

Bumpity. This weekend's numbers:

1. The Incredible Hulk- $54.5 mil

2. Kung Fu Panda- $34.3

3. The Happening- $30.5

4. You Don't Mess With The Zohan- $16.4

5. Indiana Jones 4- $13.5 and now at $275.3 domestically

Iron Man was 7th and should be the first to hit 300 million this week.

Can I get a second to change this to the Official Summer Box Office Thread or something and put it in the main forum?

Why not simply create one John. Start it brand new.