No $40 mill opening day as predicted by analysts...

BLUMENKOHL

It's my mom and my brother, not some guy on the street. I know what they will like, especially my brother.

Still, I agree with Luke Skywalker when he says, "come on, is the movie that bad as to resort convincing people not to go watch it?"

Since he emailed me and asked my opinion and said he was thinking of seeing it, yes. I haven't talked with my mom since I saw it but the next time I talk to her I know she'll ask me about it, too. My mom loves Last Crusade the best, despite how much I've tried to convince her that Temple of Doom is the best sequel, so who knows if she'll even listen to me at all.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're fans of the OT, I think they should see it, if only to see the iconic Indy in costume, hear the brilliant Raiders March, and see the plane flying over the map in the big screen one last time (we think).

I'll tell anyone to see it, and let them make up their own minds in fact I rarely tell someone to avoid a movie, hell I can't stand A.I. but I always said for people to watch it.

It's my mom and my brother, not some guy on the street. I know what they will like, especially my brother.

Still, I agree with Luke Skywalker when he says, "come on, is the movie that bad as to resort convincing people not to go watch it?"

Since he emailed me and asked my opinion and said he was thinking of seeing it, yes. I haven't talked with my mom since I saw it but the next time I talk to her I know she'll ask me about it, too. My mom loves Last Crusade the best, despite how much I've tried to convince her that Temple of Doom is the best sequel, so who knows if she'll even listen to me at all.

If your mother likes last crusade best, she by the least will enjoy KOTCS.

You folks might want to be prepared to be shocked at how much money Sex and the City is going to make this weekend...

If it makes more than KotCS did last weekend, I'll eat my KotCS CD without salt! :D

You folks might want to be prepared to be shocked at how much money Sex and the City is going to make this weekend...

If it makes more than KotCS did last weekend, I'll eat my KotCS CD without salt! :D

I'm fairly certain it's not going to do that well, but my prediction: $75 mil.

If it makes that much, it would almost certainly be the no. 1 movie THIS weekend.

But I doubt it. I think it'll make around $40 mill. (if that!), and Indy 4 will be on the top spot for the second weekend . . .

If it makes that much, it would almost certainly be the no. 1 movie THIS weekend.

But I doubt it. I think it'll make around $40 mill. (if that!), and Indy 4 will be on the top spot for the second weekend . . .

As I said, prepare to be shocked.

so you think it will make more than Prince Caspian did in its opening weekend?

remember its an R rated movie too, and they rarely outperform PG/PG-13 movies.

Now the studio for the Narnia sequel is blaming the release date for poor ticket sales and a less than spectacular opening.

I predict Sex to open with $45-$50 million.

I was definitely wrong, I underestimated the power of the Lucas marketing blitzkrieg. (I must say, I liked the Burger King toys. I have them here on my desk at work.) $170 million as of Thursday and Indy will probably have two more weekends of solid returns putting it easily past $300 million.

Kim Cattrel is still hot after all these years.

SJP is still equestrian after all these years.

Sex and the City crushed Indy yesterday. You can read about it here.

Neil

You're happy as a clam at high tide now, aren't you? Having a party tonight? :P

But I wouldn't read too much into it. The movie just opened. Of course it's gonna have a big opening, that's to be expected, but how will it perform in the following days and next week? That's what matters.

Indy 4 in the meantime is about to reach 200 mill. in domestic grosses. Not too shabby after just 8 days in theaters.

It doesn't really mean anything, Indy will still have a "solid return" like I said, $30-$40 million which is ok for a second weekend against another big opening. It's very typical of summer blockbusters, huge opening weekend then second place finish to the next big movie. Had they opened on the same weekend I'm sure Indy would have won with about the same numbers.

I'm starting to wonder . . . who among us IS gonna watch SATC??? Miss Padme? Anybody?

Come on, show of hands! :P

I know a lot of women who saw it yesterday, even ones who never go to the movies or never go to movies on their opening day. This was the Phantom Menace for girls, minus the crappy movie.

I'm starting to wonder . . . who among us IS gonna watch SATC??? Miss Padme? Anybody?

Come on, show of hands! :lol:

I know a lot of women who saw it yesterday, even ones who never go to the movies or never go to movies on their opening day.

Yeah, I know some girls who will wanna see it too, but I meant who among US???

This was the Phantom Menace for girls, minus the crappy movie.

TPM wasn't a crappy movie. :P

I would have said, "This was the Phantom Menace for girls, minus the brilliant ass-kicking score." :P

Having a party tonight? :P

Actually I am. I'm going to a barbecue and there will also be beer and ice cream cake and other goodies. Though it's not because of Indy IV's fall off at the box office, I'm sure that will be a topic of conversation at some point.

Neil

Yes we're going to barbecue today as well and I'm sure the topic of IJ will be brought up.

Hmm could SATC have a 60-70 million weekend?

In a way, we shouldn't be shocked at SATC's performance at all. I won't be surprised that its the same demographic of viewers who made Titanic the B.O.....titan it is.

I saw Sex and the City, because it's my job to have done so. (Literally. Projectionist, in case you didn't know.)

I didn't like it. I didn't hate it -- some of the acting is good, and some of the dialogue is good, so there's enough quality in evidence to keep me from hating it -- but I definitely didn't like it. I think some of that may be because certain things would've played differently if I were familiar with the series, which I am not. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt on that score.

$26 mil on Friday; it's almost halfway to Prince Caspian already. Granted, at my theatre, its business was significantly slower on Saturday than it had been on Friday, but it was still selling well; neck-and-neck with Indy, in fact, and Indy seems to be having a solid second weekend.

It is indeed a rarity for an R-rated film to open that well. It's an even bigger rarity for a movie as narrowly targeted at women to open that well. When you combine those two factors, you've got a genuine story on your hands. Add in the fact that the movie runs 2.5 hours (reducing the number to total showtimes per day from five per screen to four, in most places); and then add in the fact that the movie is playing in far fewer theatres than a lot of movie do when they open (3285, nearly a thousand less than Indy this weekend, and almost 400 fewer than Iron Man in its fourth weekend!). That makes a $26 mil opening day astounding. Unless it utterly collapses on Saturday and Sunday, this will be THE entertainment news story of the week, and deservedly so.

I didn't like the movie at all, but it doesn't bother me that it's doing well. After all, I do work in the exhibition industry, an industry that has been kicked around a good bit the last few years, mostly for no good reason. And this movie is proof positive that if you somehow manage to make a film people genuinely want to see, they will still come see it. They'll pay the ever-rising ticket price, they'll buy the overpriced popcorn, they'll suffer the pre-show ads, and they'll deal with the a-holes and their cell phones. (Prince Caspian, by the way, can probably be used as an excellent counterpoint to the argument I just made. That one seemed to have all the makings of a huge hit, and it just didn't happen, for reasons no one seems to quite graps. Lots of theories; no obvious answers, though.)

Between Indy last weekend and Carrie this weekend, the industry is looking up a bit, and that's good news in my book.

How on earth could a stupid chick flick beat Indiana Jones???

See now, I didn't like the movie, but a statement like that compels me to defend it.

What's your rationale for calling it "stupid," Drax? Are you basing that on a knowledge of the movie, or a knowledge of the show, or just some vague sense of it being something you don't like? Do you find chick flicks in general to be "stupid," or this one in particular?

I have a great distaste for a lot of what the movie seems to celebrate -- in particular, the near-nauseating focus on fashion -- but I'm simultaneously aware that that says more about my own likes/dislikes than it says about the movie itself. After all, here I am on a board where I and plenty of others as well obsess over things that plenty of people probably find "stupid." Is there really a difference between freaking out over handbags and freaking out over a blue box of Superman music? If I'm being objective about it, then my answer's gotta be: no, not at all. It's just that I myself don't care about handbags, shoes, or wedding dresses.

Guess what? A lot of people do. I'm not going to belittle them just because I don't share their passions.

And let's face it: no matter how well Sex and the City does this weekend, it's not going to "beat" Indy. It's got an obviously passionate core group of fans, but they'll be done with it after one or two weekends, whereas Indy will probably play until July or so. Not to mention how much broader Indy's worldwide appeal is.

While I got a few laughs out a couple of episodes I did see, I never thought it was major motion picture material.

I'm a fan of Desperate Housewives, but a movie? Stick to episodic television.

In a way, we shouldn't be shocked at SATC's performance at all. I won't be surprised that its the same demographic of viewers who made Titanic the B.O.....titan it is.

Nope. I couldn't disagree with you more. Titanic appealed virtually to ANYBODY. Sure, some teenage girls might have watched it 6 times because of Leo, but that movie was seen by teenage boys as well (mainly due to James "Terminator" Cameron!), by middle-aged people, by elderly folks who thought they were in for a nice period piece--which they were, only in Cameron style. That movie was a sensation.

Even though I might get flak for this, I will say it: I absolutely love Titanic. This is one hell of a movie, one of James Cameron's all-time best. If a movie is this successful, there are always snobbish (or just mean) people who feel the need to point out all the deficiencies. I'm not one of them.

Comaparing Titanic to Sex and the City is just dumb!!!

Nope. I couldn't disagree with you more. Titanic appealed virtually to ANYBODY. Sure, some teenage girls might have watched it 6 times because of Leo, but that movie was seen by teenage boys as well (mainly due to James "Terminator" Cameron!), by middle-aged people, by elderly folks who thought they were in for a nice period piece--which they were, only in Cameron style. That movie was a sensation.

Even though I might get flak for this, I will say it: I absolutely love Titanic. This is one hell of a movie, one of James Cameron's all-time best. If a movie is this successful, there are always snobbish (or just mean) people who feel the need to point out all the deficiencies. I'm not one of them.

I wouldn't say it's dumb to compare the movies, per se, but I will chime in and join in you in the lovefest for Titanic. Yeah, it's corny. Some of the dialogue is atrocious. Doesn't matter to me at all.

I cried like a baby during that movie, incidentally.

Not so much with Sex and the City.

It's got an obviously passionate core group of fans, but they'll be done with it after one or two weekends, whereas Indy will probably play until July or so. Not to mention how much broader Indy's worldwide appeal is.

You're right, but don't underestimate the worldwide appeal of Sex and the City! That show's been seen around the globe, virtually everywhere. Certainly in most European countries, in South America, even Asia like Japan. Not that I'm defending SATC, but it wouldn't be wrong to say that, in its own way, SATC is also a sensation.

Maybe a lot of guys will watch it because it has the word "sex" in the title.

They'll mostly be . . . disappointed.

I used to watch SATC on TV sometimes, but I was never into it. Mostly, I watched it to see all the cool NYC locations, wondering just how they managed to shoot a scene on 5th Avenue in broad daylight with no one in the background waving or looking into the camera. Certainly they couldn't all have been extras?

I liked Titanic, but I didn't love it.

$26 mil on Friday; it's almost halfway to Prince Caspian already. Granted, at my theatre, its business was significantly slower on Saturday than it had been on Friday, but it was still selling well; neck-and-neck with Indy, in fact, and Indy seems to be having a solid second weekend.

It is indeed a rarity for an R-rated film to open that well. It's an even bigger rarity for a movie as narrowly targeted at women to open that well. When you combine those two factors, you've got a genuine story on your hands. Add in the fact that the movie runs 2.5 hours (reducing the number to total showtimes per day from five per screen to four, in most places); and then add in the fact that the movie is playing in far fewer theatres than a lot of movie do when they open (3285, nearly a thousand less than Indy this weekend, and almost 400 fewer than Iron Man in its fourth weekend!). That makes a $26 mil opening day astounding. Unless it utterly collapses on Saturday and Sunday, this will be THE entertainment news story of the week, and deservedly so.

I didn't like the movie at all, but it doesn't bother me that it's doing well. After all, I do work in the exhibition industry, an industry that has been kicked around a good bit the last few years, mostly for no good reason. And this movie is proof positive that if you somehow manage to make a film people genuinely want to see, they will still come see it. They'll pay the ever-rising ticket price, they'll buy the overpriced popcorn, they'll suffer the pre-show ads, and they'll deal with the a-holes and their cell phones. (Prince Caspian, by the way, can probably be used as an excellent counterpoint to the argument I just made. That one seemed to have all the makings of a huge hit, and it just didn't happen, for reasons no one seems to quite graps. Lots of theories; no obvious answers, though.)

Between Indy last weekend and Carrie this weekend, the industry is looking up a bit, and that's good news in my book.

you called it Hazzaa's to you. my mom liked it, and asked me to take her, I said no, so she went with friends. I'm still cringing from the last time I took her to an R rated film and in the first 15 min they said F*** about 50 times, and then said C***. Thanks matt damon.

just out of curiosity what does your theatre charge for matinee and regular prices. it cost me 32.25 to see Indy last week for tickets and popcorn at matinee. what ticks me off is I can be at Dave's town and go to the night showing and save 7 bucks.

speaking of overprice popcorn it amazes me the difference in quality for theatre to theatre in terms of taste.

JOSH, you're wrong about Titanic, it appealed to a wide demographic. Teenage girls don't make films a billion dollar hit. If they did, then where are all the others.

JOSH, you're wrong about Titanic, it appealed to a wide demographic. Teenage girls don't make films a billion dollar hit. If they did, then where are all the others.

Actually, that was my statement (about teenage girls making it a billion dollar movie), not his.

it cost me 32.25 to see Indy last week for tickets and popcorn at matinee.

That's why I don't eat at the movies anymore ever. I paid $20 to see Indy, two tickets for my wife and I, and not a penny more. Once in a while we'll get a Squishee and share, or we have the movie rewards card and occasionally "win" a small popcorn or candy. The two movie theaters I frequent are surrounded by restaurants of every kind, if we want to eat out we do one of those.

The stupid thing is, its not that they are overpriced but that they are WAY overpriced. I might still get popcorn and such if it were a little more reasonable, but I'm not paying the same price for popcorn and soda when I can get a decent meal for the same price.

No, I didn't write this article, even though they used the word "crushed" (as I did yesterday). Sex and the City did an estimated $55.7 million at the box office while KOCS did $46 million.

Neil

One of the cineplex I go to is 7$ a film

Most of the other ones are 12$ a film

I go on Tuesday where it is 9.99$ for the film,a medium popcorn and a softdrink...good deal,and the popcorn there is the best i've tasted.