"The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book

Hitch

Foreword by Steven Spielberg

Preface by George Lucas

New interviews by Laurent Bouzereau

Written by J.W. Rinzler

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" score. The London Symphony Orchestra, Anvil Abbey Road Screenwood Ltd. Studios at 3 Abbey Road, London. Soundtrack recorded February 18, 19, 23 and March 2, 3, with March 5 1981 held in case it was needed.

"The Temple of Doom" score. The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, MGM Scoring Stages finishing circa April 6, 1984 - the first time a Lucasfilm production has recorded its music in Hollywood.

"The Last Crusade" score. John Williams recorded the score during split sessions: from Monday, January 30, to Friday, February 3 1989; then Tuesday, February 14 through Friday, February 17, 1989. No orchestra listed.

Buy this book. A must for any Indy fan.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this new book is more exciting than the new movie. I read a great deal of it the other day in B&N, it was quite good. I'm thinking of buying it or putting it on my birthday wishlist later this year.

This book is the best thing I ever bought! Wounderful and very interseting!! And SOOOO much information

there is a more expensive version (hardcover) and a much cheaper (not hardcover)

I ordered the Making of Star Wars too today! ;)

I'm almost done it. Been enjoying it. I talked to a person yesterday flipping through it at Barnes and Noble. He was a stuntman on KOCS and saw his picture in the book (he's in the malt shop). He told me the girl that punches Mutt is Spielberg's daughter.

It doesn't have all the details in the world (does it even mention the Barbra Streisand filmed outtake from Temple of Doom) and I wish it talked about cut scenes more, but it's a quick read and entertaining.

I'm also not sure about the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra recording the Temple of Doom score. If so, why aren't they credited as such in the film or on the album?

Neil

I have to get this. I was also wondering about Star Wars one by the same author. I heard it is pretty good. It certainly looked detailed when I saw it in a book store the other day. Is it worth it? After all these endless documentaries and books n this very subject?

Karol

Does it say anything about John Williams and the scoring sessions? (Except what's stated in the first post!)

I haven't found THAT much so far.. only wiliams telling that when he first met spielberg... steven was a litle kid who didn't even know how to hold a wineglass properly! :)

But probably exactly as much as the composer should be when considering the entire "making of" process.

John- who'll remember to flip through it the next time he's in Hastings

I have The Making of Revenge of the Sith and The Making of Star Wars by JW Rinzler and they are both great reads, better than the documentaries on the dvds. I will be buying this book next time I'm at the bookstore.

Yeah I have the ROTS book, I got that as a Father's day gift back in 2005.

Unfortunately the section with Williams was an internet download only.

The Making of Star Wars is a fantastic book, and I'd highly recommend it. I got the paperback version, but the hardcover with the extra pages is apparently pretty neat. (It has a quote from Lucas talking about midi-chlorians back in 1977.)

I ordered the Indy book the other day. Looking forward to getting it!

Buy the hardcover if you can afford it. It will be well worth it.

(It has a quote from Lucas talking about midi-chlorians back in 1977.)

That quote was altered in 1999. Lucas stated that he had always intended to talk about midi-chlorians in 1977 but his vocabulary wasn't advanced enough back then.

Nope.

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."

:o

Sounds great. I love "the making of"-type books and videos. Unfortunately, some people think otherwise: I asked my parents for The Making of Star Wars for Christmas last year, and one day during the break I overheard my mother saying that it was something I needed to grow out of. One of the most insulting things anyone has said about me, I think.

fsb, who fails to see how learning about landmark films is something that one needs to "grow out of"

Was this quote taken from SW or ANH making-of book?

:P

Karol - who just ordered the book.

That's the thing. The book is very specifically The Making of Star Wars. It was written for the most part as if it was to be published around the time of the film. All of the cast interviews (with the exceptions of James Earl Jones and Peter Cushing) were done from 1975 to 1978. There's no revisionism here, and no "It's been 30 years, and Star Wars is just so huge and awesome now."

Can anyone point me in the direction of the hardcover edition? I figured they might do what they did with The Making of Star Wars but I've checked several online retailers with no luck. The closest I've gotten is a hardcover edition from Amazon UK but it says it has the same number of pages as the softcover.

Was this quote taken from SW or ANH making-of book?

:blink:

Karol - who just ordered the book.

That's the thing. The book is very specifically The Making of Star Wars. It was written for the most part as if it was to be published around the time of the film. All of the cast interviews (with the exceptions of James Earl Jones and Peter Cushing) were done from 1975 to 1978. There's no revisionism here, and no "It's been 30 years, and Star Wars is just so huge and awesome now."

Can't wait to read it. ^_^

Karol

I have both the Making of Star Wars and Making of Indy Films books, and they are awesome. If you've been riding the fence, ride no longer, this is very much worth it.

For a Star Wars geekazoid such as myself, the Star Wars book was a dream come true. The Star Wars Vault is nothing compared to it; it's more of a swollen Star Wars Scrapbook. Truthfully not really worth the cash.

So far the most interesting thing I've read in the Indy book is that the very first image we see of Indy in Raiders is not Harrison Ford at all, but a guy named Will Welch!

My favorite part of the book the transcript of the story meeting between Lucas, Spielberg and Lawrence Kasdan where they're coming up with ideas for the opening sequence of Raiders.

My favorite part of the book the transcript of the story meeting between Lucas, Spielberg and Lawrence Kasdan where they're coming up with ideas for the opening sequence of Raiders.

Yes, and a number of ideas wound up in ToD. That's probably why ToD is such a great sequel and the others are mere carbon copies of Raiders.

• 2 weeks later...