The most boring tracks of the KotCS album

Josh500

Let's talk about these tracks here:

"Return"

Orellana's Cradle

Secret Doors and Scorpions

Oxley's Dilemma

Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed

For me, these are the least-listened to tracks. I find them quite boring, and I don't know whether I will like them any better if I listened to them 50 times more. They just don't grow on me. Does anybody feel the same way?

What do you think about them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a poll?

:mellow:

Marc's powers truly work!

I'm not gonna make a poll asking which is the most boring! :lol:

No, I'm just finishing what Bowie started, "Let's discuss the first new tracks in 2.5 years, 1 by 1." However, these tracks are so boring I put them all in one thread. :lol:

"Return"

Orellana's Cradle

Oxley's Dilemma

Grave Robbers

You misunderstood me, I think! :mellow: I'm not asking you to list the most boring tracks here.

I meant let's discuss the tracks I listed in the first post. There is already a separate thread for Grave Robbers (which I don't find THAT boring, btw).

Well,there's some low key developpement of the skull theme in most of them .That's about it .Those are the tracks I'd trade for Complete Opening Warehouse Sequence /Complete Jungle Chase

Though I agree they're some of the lower points of the score, they work better in the context of the chronological order. The skull theme really develops in a way that's completely lost on the album.

I agree with Ray and Taikomochi. And I don't know how you could find "Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed" boring. The first segment ("The Door Opens") is gorgeous, and blew me away the first time I saw it. The second half has some really good climactic music.

Do you just not like the Crystal Skull theme, Josh? :mellow:

And really, I find all of those cues enjoyable to some degree. "Oxley's Dilemma," "Secret Doors and Scorpions," and "Orellana's Cradle" all have some really well-done JW creeping/exploring music, and with some nice old school sounding orchestrations at that.

The chronological sequence does help.

Hmm, I don't have a list prepared, but I definitely do not think Track 17 is boring

Yeah, I agree, of the tracks listed here, track 17 is probably the least boring.

But compared to the rest of the album, it definitely is!

Do you just not like the Crystal Skull theme, Josh? :mellow:

Well, no, not really.

But . . . I just find the other tracks much more exciting.

Probably have to listen to them many more times . . . :lol:

That's like saying "Compared to 'Desert Chase,' 'Main Title/South America, 1936' is boring." :lol:

Well, no.

I LOVE "Main Title/South America." I think this is one of the VERY BEST and I'm not kidding. One of the reasons I had to have the expanded Raiders was this track more than anything. :mellow:

But I see what you mean . . . like I said, I gotta listen to these "boring" tracks some more and get into them.

"Return" and "Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed" do great things with the Skull theme. I'll agree that the others are pretty boring.

I happen to love the last few seconds of Orellana's Cradle, just because it accompanies one of the Map Sequences. Still, the music is very subtle here.

I have put the Indy4 Ost into the shlf th day I got it... because I ripped it to my PC and put it on my ipod...

This is the reason why I won't ever complain about CD packaging... They stand on my shelf and thats it.. they won't get wet or break..

and I find those tracks not to be very boring.. in fact I find "The Jungle Chase" from a musical creative point of view much more boring then Oxley's Dilemma

Are you serious?!? I really loved that one. Of course... I've only listened to the album once so that probably doesn't reflect well on the quality of the music.

The real lacmus test is when i'm selecting tracks for my iPod...

And in that regard, KOTCS certainly suffered a severe shortening, especially the second half of the album. As with the prequels, i took all the Raider's March stuff out of the 'Finale'. Now it's only four minutes, with the russian theme and Mutt's Theme getting their due. I really don't like having the old stuff repeated ad verbatim, taking up good space on the player.

The real lacmus test is when i'm selecting tracks for my iPod...

And in that regard, KOTCS certainly suffered a severe shortening, especially the second half of the album. As with the prequels, i took all the Raider's March stuff out of the 'Finale'. Now it's only four minutes, with the russian theme and Mutt's Theme getting their due. I really don't like having the old stuff repeated ad verbatim, taking up good space on the player.

I'd do without Raider's March at the beginning too. Instead I'd like to have the opening army march.

I must also strongly disagree about Secret Doors and Scorpions being boring; I think it's a fantastic track! 00:32 to 00:43 especially is one of the few bits that sounds to me as if it could have come straight out of The Last Crusade, and then there's some great bass clarinet/bassoon writing just after it. But my favourite bit of the whole track is the amazing horn bit at 01:24, underscoring the opening of the secret door; that's just a great moment that I enjoy playing over and over again! I really, really like those few seconds! :)

Let's talk about these tracks here:

"Return"

Orellana's Cradle

Oxley's Dilemma

For me, these are the least-listened to tracks. I find them quite boring, and I don't know whether I will like them any better if I listened to them 50 times more. They just don't grow on me. Does anybody feel the same way?

What do you think about them?

I think they aren't boring, like the follow ones don't be:

From Raiders:

Main Title: South America

In The Idol's Temple

The Medallion

The Map Room: Dawn

The Well Of The Souls

From Last Crusade:

Ah, Rats!!!

The Keeper Of The Grail

The Canyon Of The Crescent Moon

The Penitent Man Will Pass

I like all of them in their mistery, atmospheric and suspense way!!! :)

Only Well of the Souls ..I mean Discovery of the Ark doesn't really do much for me and I never really missed it from the DCC c.d.

So yes the first 3 Indy scores had dead spots. Even ToD in some of the unreleased stuff surrounding the ceremony when Indy gets captured.

But they also had better and many more classic set pieces than KotSC

Ditto.

Well Of Souls just motivates to push the Skip button between Map Room: Dawn and Airplane Fight ;)

It's a lot harder to skip when you have the "Discovery of the Ark" material, that's for sure.

Well of the Souls is a boring track???

Now I have seen everything on this board...

As we say in Portuguese: "Eu morro e não vejo tudo!" ;)

I don't know what that means, but I would rather say "You ain't seen nothing yet!"

Indeed!

The meaning is "I die and I don't see all!" :)

I can only think of one offhand: The Journey to Akator. The "map" opening is great, but the semi-source passage is just wrong. I would have preferred something else there. If it had gone into an ominous passage (something like the Automatic Writing cue) I think it would flow much better.

I have never found Orellana's Cradle, Oxley's Dilemma, Grave Robbers or Secret Doors... particularly engaging. I also don't find the Secret Revealed as amazing as some either, but then the last 5 minutes of the film came close to ruining the show for me so it's probably not surprisingly that the cue doesn't do a lot for me.

The Jungle Chase, which I first found a very disjointed and jumbled track is now probably my favourite on the album, and particularly the last minute or so with Irina and Indy's theme continually battling.

Have you seen the film? Why would it go into an ominous passage at that point?

Ever heard of editing? Like in other tracks?

I find Orellana's Cradle and particulary Oxley's Dilemma fascinating to listen to. Granted, they're maybe not great musically, but I find it very thrilling. Particulary the wind instrument in Oxley's Dilemma, it gives you a feeling of being transported backwards in time. At that point in the film, it seems like Williams is scoring a scene that doesn't take place on film, but in our minds.

I find Orellana's Cradle and particulary Oxley's Dilemma fascinating to listen to. Granted, they're maybe not great musically, but I find it very thrilling. Particulary the wind instrument in Oxley's Dilemma, it gives you a feeling of being transported backwards in time. At that point in the film, it seems like Williams is scoring a scene that doesn't take place on film, but in our minds.

Hmmm, yeah, interesting observation.

Somehow, for me, KotCS is the best new JW output since PoA. I'm really fond of every track here, even the "boring" ones are starting to grow on me. My only regret is (like I said 100 times already) that the complete Jungle Chase wasn't included.

There are bits in all those tracks listed that I like, and Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed

is not a boring track. The track which I find most uninteresting is probably Grave Robbers. That said, had it not been on the album someone is bound to bich about it.

Burga - who wouldnt mind giving up Grave Robbers, Orellana's Cradle for the missing Jungle Chase music.

Have you seen the film? Why would it go into an ominous passage at that point?

Ever heard of editing? Like in other tracks?

Thank you for defending my point. I have indeed seen the film, but I don't find the source music to be all that entertaining. It's a quirk, but it's not essential. I'd prefer there to be something there which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I for one hate it when they make edits on a soundtrack where it goes to a different cue with no relation to the first cue, all in the same track. I can see why you might not want to have the source music on the album at all, but if you're not going to do that, I say just have the one cue in the track.

I for one hate it when they make edits on a soundtrack where it goes to a different cue with no relation to the first cue, all in the same track. I can see why you might not want to have the source music on the album at all, but if you're not going to do that, I say just have the one cue in the track.

I had thought of that as well. I'd have been perfectly satisfied had the track ended when the traveling music did. I'm not a huge fan of edits myself, but the main thing is having a score release at all.

I had thought of that as well. I'd have been perfectly satisfied had the track ended when the traveling music did. I'm not a huge fan of edits myself, but the main thing is having a score release at all.

Generally, yes. But in this case I don't mind so much, because I like the "Mexican" (source) music.