You have to see the overall picture!

Josh500

People, have you realized yet that we've a got a brandnew Indiana Jones score composed and conducted by John Williams on our hands?

I see too many people here bickering and complaining and biching about trivialities and whatnot. We have to realize that this is one of the finest moments of our lives (film score-wise, that is) and we should try to cherish this moment more. Many folks might disagree, but John Williams is only human, and he won't be around forever. Who knows how many more scores like this he will produce, and who knows if we will EVER get another Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, or Star Wars score by John Williams (very unlikely, methinks). I'm sure people 20 and 50 and a 100 years from now will envy us, because we got to experience the release of so many great Williams scores, which will go down in (film) history as the most impressive and well-crafted and enjoyable ever. I for one am really overjoyed and exhilarated about this new release and so many other great scores over the past few years. ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to realize that this is one of the finest moments of our lives (film score-wise, that is)...

Get a life.

Neil

We have to realize that this is one of the finest moments of our lives (film score-wise, that is)...

Get a life.

Neil

I said "film score-wise."

One would think that a moderator of a film composer forum would be enthusiastic about film scores, but apparently not you! You are just a grumpy old ass! ;)

People, have you realized yet that we've a got a brandnew Indiana Jones score composed and conducted by John Williams on our hands?

I see too many people here bickering and complaining and biching about trivialities and whatnot. We have to realize that this is one of the finest moments of our lives (film score-wise, that is) and we should try to cherish this moment more.

Hm don't get me wrong. I am glad that you are so enthusiastic but why the hell shall others cheer up more if they don't feel like that? and what are you talking about finest moments of our lives? (filmscorewise)

This is a new Williams Score.. and ot even the greatest and most creative efforts in the last decade.. Just because it has an Indy Logo on?

Many folks might disagree, but John Williams is only human, and he won't be around forever.

and what the hell do you mean with that one? what..hm is John Williams not god? really is he human.. will he die?

;)

Do people realize that there's a ton of great music being released by Intrada, FSM, LaLaLand and Varese?

All those great composers and their music, available to listen to and broaden one's soundtrack library.

Do people realize that there's a ton of great music being released by Intrada, FSM, LaLaLand and Varese?

All those great composers and their music, available to listen to and broaden one's soundtrack library.

My wallet sure as heck knows it.

I just say let people enjoy what they think is good for them. live and let live.

But i grab KOTCS anyday before some of the 'crap' being released by intrada or varese lately ;)

thats of little comfort when I am almost exclusively a JW fan, and much less of a movie score fan than I used to be.

Josh500,

I agree with everything you said up there. Don't listen to these other people, they still have lessons to learn on how to enjoy life.

--Genius

;)

I realize that, but what does that have to do with anything? This is a JW fan site . . .

I see too many people here bickering and complaining and biching about trivialities and whatnot. We have to realize that this is one of the finest moments of our lives (film score-wise, that is) and we should try to cherish this moment more. Many folks might disagree, but John Williams is only human, and he won't be around forever. Who knows how many more scores like this he will produce, and who knows if we will EVER get another Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, or Star Wars score by John Williams (very unlikely, methinks). I'm sure people 20 and 50 and a 100 years from now will envy us, because we got to experience the release of so many great Williams scores, which will go down in (film) history as the most impressive and well-crafted and enjoyable ever. I for one am really overjoyed and exhilarated about this new release and so many other great scores over the past few years. :music:

Josh... You're just a hyperactive little kid.

I realize that, but what does that have to do with anything? This is a JW fan site . . .

So we can't discuss or enjoy film music that isn't written by John Williams on this site? News to me.....

Nope, I just had 5 cups of coffee today! ROTFLMAO

That will certainly stunt your growth.

Neil

I for one am really overjoyed and exhilarated about this new release and so many other great scores over the past few years. ROTFLMAO

Yup, same here. ;)

About everyone else (aside from Genuis), don't worry. It's becoming a fad around here to have a negative/unenthusiastic outlook on modern day film scores.

About everyone else (aside from Genuis), don't worry. It's becoming a fad around here to have a negative/unenthusiastic outlook on modern day film scores.

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

We just call it the way we see it.

One of the brightest moments of my life this year was opening the Lost Season 3 soundtrack...and Baby Secret of Lost Legend....

how sad,

and I say that with my campiest, stereotypical voice I have.

Nope, I just had 5 cups of coffee today! :)

That will certainly stunt your growth.

Neil

Don't get all het-up, I'm still bigger than you are!

It seems the time to say things like that was the 1974-1985 period.

You contend that that time period was when John Williams was doing his best work, and I believe that to be a valid viewpoint (whether I agree or not). But I think that everyone here should actually think about the wisdom in Josh's words (something that is very hard for many people here, because it is in style to look down on that type of unbridled enthusiasm).

Franz Liszt spent the years from about 12 or so to 30 as a concert pianist, and is considered to be the first real virtuoso. He dazzled people with his playing technique, and amazed the world so much so that many people seem to have felt ashamed in later days about the way that they acted at that time. At the age of 30, he gave up public playing altogether, only playing after that very rarely, and mostly at private gatherings. He then devoted himself to studying composition. So at that point we had a composer/pianist, who could write amazing pieces either for piano, for orchestra, or for piano and orchestra. Sometime around this time I believe he wrote pieces like Totentanz, an amazing combination of orchestral power and pianistic virtuosity. But, as he continued to get older, his works displayed less and less obvious beauty or power. Instead, they became much more reserved. At that time, many many people longed for Liszt to return to the stage as a pianist, but he would not, because he valued his art above what people thought of him. Looking back on this time, many scholars believe Liszt's most forwarded reaching and insightful music was written during this time, but many people missed it because they wanted the old style so much. Because they were longing for the old style of Liszt, they missed what is now considered to be his very best and most amazing music.

I do not know if we are living in a time like that for Williams or not. We can only know that after the fact. But I think people should consider Josh's words, and be thankful. I think I would go crazy if it were in any way possible for me to shake Liszt's hand, or get an autograph. Yet that is possible with Williams. Not only that, but he made an honost effort to go back to his old style in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for the sake of his fans, something Liszt fans (Lisztians. Yes, that would be me) never really got from their composer. Take my advice and be thankful.

Get a life.

Neil

I don't know. I kind of agree with Josh. I wasn't alive/old enough to get the original Indy scores when they first came out so this is a really surreal time, score-wise. And, not only that, but this is one of the most coherant new scores I've heard in ages. I don't want to go on a rant bashing new scores but... you know.

Oh I doubt that most people are criticising his actual composing skills.

It's the music itself that some of us have issues with. While Williams has matured as a composer his change in style has produced music that seems to lack the punch and excitement that the previous scores to the Indiana Jones films had.

Oh I doubt that most people are criticising his actual composing skills.

It's the music itself that some of us have issues with. While Williams has matured as a composer his change in style has produced music that seems to lack the punch and excitement that the previous scores to the Indiana Jones films had.

I'm not going to say that this score is comprable to that of the original three, but it's quite a good bit of writing. His return to the world of Indiana Jones is certainly stronger than his return to the world of Star Wars in my opinion. And none of the first three Indy scores were all that similar. Despite the Raiders March and the second and third scores quoting the first, they're really quite different. This one is just another chapter in that ever changing musical opus. Though it's a belated entry and not as explosive as some may have preferred, I love it.

I agree with Josh's first post

A new Williams release ,that was the only important thing to me.This may actually be the last big Willams score.

the movie is not as great as it should have been...couldn't care less.

K.M.Who also feels this way about the SW Prequels

I guess the question becomes:

Is it coincidence that (in the minds of some people) the work of Lucas, Spielberg, and Williams has become considerably worse in the past 10 years?

Maybe there is no coincidence. Maybe it's not the work of Lucas, Spielberg, and Williams that has changed. Maybe these critics have changed/matured/grown up. This is a more logical explanation to me.

No.

No.

(This "no" is to your "no"!)

A new Williams release ,that was the only important thing to me.This may actually be the last big Willams score.

I don't think so. JW will write another big score, but another Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones? Not on your life.

No.

No.

So you agree with Genius_Gone_Insane's ridiculous explanation for all the criticism leveled toward Lucas, Spielberg and Williams in the past ten years?

No.

No.

So you agree with Genius_Gone_Insane's ridiculous explanation for all the criticism leveled toward Lucas, Spielberg and Williams in the past ten years?

Pretty much, yeah.

I think we have changed just as much as Spielberg and Williams and Lucas have changed. But I happen to love Williams' output after Schindler's List as much as what he did before. It's different, sure, but so what? I never expected Williams to write EXACTLY the same way for 40 years and more.

I never really had a problem with all this nostalgia. Some of my favourites scores of all time are restrained and need more time. Even older JW scores, like Close Encounters or Jaws, took some time to grow on me. They were already old when I first heard them. So I have no idea what most of older members are talking about. After all "it doesn't feel like the old thing" is the most worthless of all arguments. It doesn't say anything really. As far as the quality goes new music by JW is not inferior as such. It's just that the old stuff was mixed louder in the film and there was a great timing for these things to get released (which is why some things are more popular than the others). There were a lot of scores in the last 20 years which tried to imitate his style. There is no way to have the same kind of renaissance for orchestral film music, because many films today are score wall to wall, with even bigger orchestras and choirs (with mixed results). That's why it isn't striking anymore. To be influential again JW would have to score something new, certainly not a sequel to things he did in the 70's an 80's. Like scoring massive epic battle with someone plucking one note on a harp. ROTFLMAO

Karol - who still thinks one could switch love themes from TESB and ROTLA places and no one would notice.

Hmm, I've not heard the score or seen the film, so I can't comment on that specificaly.

But on a general 'note' (excuse the pun) I would say that I don't think people who have liked some of John's work through the years should need to feel guilty within themselves that they 'must' like everything he has done and appreciate every note he has written since, simply because he has composed it. Otherwise it can almost become like a certain Religion we're familiar with, where admirers seem to be constantly reminded that they must feel guilty for the death of the main character because he apparently 'gave' his life for 'us' .......somehow. Live and let live, I say. If some like John's latest work, then fine.

If not, then fine. Nobody should be made to feel 'ungrateful'. Indeed John Williams is human, and my guess is that he's not sitting around biting his nails and slamming his fists onto the coffee table muttering through gritted teeth - "Ungrateful swine, all of them" if they don't bow down to the latest CD jewel case of his latest release every morning. John Williams is a man who works for money (let's not forget that) within a certain industry which hires him, just as Mozart had to write lots of work for things he wasn't exactly joyous about, just to pay the rent and afford the fees for his children's school, wife's healthcare, etc.

Hmm, I've not heard the score or seen the film, so I can't comment on that specificaly.

But on a general 'note' (excuse the pun) I would say that I don't think people who have liked some of John's work through the years should need to feel guilty within themselves that they 'must' like everything he has done and appreciate every note he has written since, simply because he has composed it. Otherwise it can almost become like a certain Religion we're familiar with, where admirers seem to be constantly reminded that they must feel guilty for the death of the main character because he apparently 'gave' his life for 'us' .......somehow. Live and let live, I say. If some like John's latest work, then fine.

If not, then fine. Nobody should be made to feel 'ungrateful'. Indeed John Williams is human, and my guess is that he's not sitting around biting his nails and slamming his fists onto the coffee table muttering through gritted teeth - "Ungrateful swine, all of them" if they don't bow down to the latest CD jewel case of his latest release every morning. John Williams is a man who works for money (let's not forget that) within a certain industry which hires him, just as Mozart had to write lots of work for things he wasn't exactly joyous about, just to pay the rent and afford the fees for his children's school, wife's healthcare, etc.

Honestly, I have no idea what your point is. Are you responding to my original post or what?

Summed up in one sentence, all I'm saying is, We (and by "we" I mean film score fans as well as, specifically, JW fans) should enjoy this new Indiana Jones score as best we can, because we might never get this kind of score from JW again.

How is swinging from vines less feasible than jumping out of an airplane in an inflatable raft?

Are you honestly saying you don't see the difference? One is dumb luck that required no skill and the other requires skill and practice to perfect. People have fallen from skyscrapers and lived, so the raft thing is entirely possible. I can accept that Mutt is good with a knife and can swordfight, but when did he learn to swing on vines like an acrobat? And it wasn't a single vine, no, he leapt from vine to vine like he grew up in the jungle.

Are you honestly saying you don't see the difference? One is dumb luck that required no skill and the other requires skill and practice to perfect. People have fallen from skyscrapers and lived, so the raft thing is entirely possible. I can accept that Mutt is good with a knife and can swordfight, but when did he learn to swing on vines like an acrobat? And it wasn't a single vine, no, he leapt from vine to vine like he grew up in the jungle.

I'm not saying both scenes are NOT ridiculous (seen outside of the context, that is), but three people jumping from a plane in an inflatable raft and THEN sliding down the snowy mountain and THEN rushing down a river all the way to India . . . that's more incredible to me than Mutt swinging on vines a short distance. After all, Mutt IS athletic, and when monkey can do it, why not Mutt?

I'm not saying both scenes are NOT ridiculous (seen outside of the context, that is), but three people jumping from a plane in an inflatable raft and THEN sliding down the snowy mountain and THEN rushing down a river all the way to India . . . that's more incredible to me than Mutt swinging on vines a short distance.

The raft thing is little more than what thousands of people do everyday at amusement parks, hold on for dear life. Just a little dumb luck thrown in.

After all, Mutt IS athletic, and when monkey can do it, why not Mutt?

That is your rationale? Um, ok... ;)

The raft thing is little more than what thousands of people do everyday at amusement parks, hold on for dear life.

That is YOUR rationale . . . um, okay. ;)

Jumping from a high-flying plane (over the Himalayas, no less) in an inflatable raft is kinda like what you do at amusement parks. Right!