The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

At last I managed to get this album in the version with all 13 songs, including "Truth, Goodness and Beauty".

20240305_205409.jpg

I guess, this is the UK version. Never was available here in Germany. I am happy. 

On 09/03/2024 at 8:34 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

My favourite 10cc will always be HOW DARE YOU!,

Mine too.

On 09/03/2024 at 8:42 AM, GerateWohl said:

At last I managed to get this album in the version with all 13 songs, including "Truth, Goodness and Beauty".

20240305_205409.jpg

I guess, this is the UK version. Never was available here in Germany. I am happy. 

Nice drawings. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice drawings. 

As far as I remember from an interview, Robert Smith used drawings from his nieces and nephews for the cover.

7470d-ezgif-com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jp

Last week I noticed for the first time that there is actually a person on the Obscured By Clouds cover. It's one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. These days I prefer the period between Syd Barrett and their big operatic/grand style albums.

On 16/03/2024 at 7:45 PM, Thor said:

I never thought about there being a person there either. Interesting. 

Yes, bare-chested and jeans.

Anyway, who knew Trevor Horn has a new album? 

horn.jpg

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Alex, have you heard PRODUCERS?

'Made In Basing Street' is really good.

No, not familiar with any of this. Are we still talking about Trevor Horn? 

To be clear:

The Age Of Plastic > Adventures In Modern Recording > Drama

Simple Minds gig last night - 110-minute career-spanning set, with Mr Kerr in fine form ... after one song during which he'd knelt down and then bent backwards briefly, he mimed adjusting his back and said 'Bruce Springsteen can't do that, and Midge Ure wouldn't stand a chance either'. 

Set list - 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/simple-minds/2024/the-sse-arena-belfast-belfast-northern-ireland-7baa1ec4.html

21 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Simple Minds gig last night - 110-minute career-spanning set, with Mr Kerr in fine form ... after one song during which he'd knelt down and then bent backwards briefly, he mimed adjusting his back and said 'Bruce Springsteen can't do that, and Midge Ure wouldn't stand a chance either'. 

Set list - 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/simple-minds/2024/the-sse-arena-belfast-belfast-northern-ireland-7baa1ec4.html

Their best album, Street Fighting Years, is heavily underrepresented in this set. Nothing there apart from "Belfast Child".

Oh right. I just saw, they published 13 albums since then. I wasn't aware of that. I just recongnized the two follow up albums after SFY and then lost track.

Heard and shazammed a random song at a restaurant on Saturday evening and it turned out to be Ex's & Oh's by Elle King, from whom I already had the song that is on the Ghosbusters songtrack. The album as a whole takes a bit of getting used to (very countrified rock) but I like it, although a skim of one of her other albums wasn't doing a whole lot for me.

Based on recent experience, something tells me I should listen to a bit more music radio :music:

6 hours ago, A24 said:

No, not familiar with any of this. Are we still talking about Trevor Horn? 

To be clear:

The Age Of Plastic > Adventures In Modern Recording > Drama

... and producing:

THE LEXICON OF LOVE 

SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM

WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME 

BIG GENERATOR 

STREET FIGHTING YEARS 

INTROSPECTIVE 

FUNDAMENTAL

Listening to Echos right now. Every track (all covers, I think) is sung by different artist ... Meh ... It's not good. Sounds like background cover versions for restaurants or H&M. 

Unpopular opinion: My favourite Pink Floyd album is "A Momentary Labs of Reason".

But I am not much of a fan. Always loved Gilmore's guitar. But I rather loved his contributions for other artists like Kate Bush, Sam Brown or Supertramp, than the actual Pink Floyd stuff. But AMLoR had great songs.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Echoes! You heard Echoes!

It's a good track.

Some PF fans consider it to be their single greatest song.

I don't quite consider it a song (there's not enough singing on it for that), but aside from that I might agree.

It's an amazing track (and yes, not really a song). I was thrilled when Gary Marlowe referenced the iconic "submarine ping sound" of it in his brilliant score for EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE -- one of my top 3 scores in 2022.

54 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't quite consider it a song (there's not enough singing on it for that), but aside from that I might agree.

I prefer Side A.

• 2 weeks later...

ODUtMTkyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

The 2008 Nokia studio album version, not the retail version (which is more like a compilation). Beautiful and atmospheric stuff, and the only non-film album by Rahman that I own at this point.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Nokia"?

They have their own record label?

He, he, no. If I remember correctly, the initial album was a bonus when you bought a certain Nokia model. Don't know if it was physical CD or in-app, like the infamous U2 album that came freely with the iTunes(?) app some years ago.

So today it has been 30 years ago since Curt 'Nirvana' Cobain died?! 30 years ago?!! 

17 minutes ago, A24 said:

So today it has been 30 years ago since Curt 'Nirvana' Cobain died?! 30 years ago?!! 

Yes, it's crazy. But I remember it well. Not because I was a fan (I hated Nirvana and grunge in general), but because there was such a buzz around high school at the time. A few kids even wore black arm ribbons that day.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

His name is Kurt not Curt

A curt reply.

Today 50 years ago ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest with Waterloo. And, believe it or not, Belgium gave exactly zero points, even though the song is about a Belgian town ;).

1 hour ago, A24 said:

Today 50 years ago ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest with Waterloo. And, believe it or not, Belgium gave exactly zero points, even though the song is about a Belgian town ;).

Speaking of zero points, Norway has managed to receive that on a couple of occasions. That's somehow an accomplishment in itself.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Speaking of zero points, Norway has managed to receive that on a couple of occasions. That's somehow an accomplishment in itself.

I think, in the meantime Germany is better at getting 0 points.

Yes, Alex, and it's an honour that GB has had, several times - and well deservedly so.

:music:  LOVE, in DTS 5.1, thank you very much.

What the Martins did on this, is nothing short of astonishing.

I know that there are two-channel purists, and I respect that. I also know that there are those who say: "You don't mess with The Beatles", and I respect that also, but I really like what they've done.

If George Martin was the 5th Beatle, does that make Giles Martin the 6th?

Oops! Gotta go. I'm coming up to the brilliant 'Tomorrow Never Knows'/'Within Without You' mashup. 

Ah, time for my yearly trawl though Europe's cheesiest songs. Last year's was a huge haul but I've sampled this year's crop and not much is sticking out except Austria and Norway. However, I'm always looking for that melodic hook, while I think a lot of traditional fans are just looking for something fun and silly. Also songs such San Marino's, where the vocals are annoying but the instrumental is interesting.

Unfortunately our entry, while not as absurdly awful as a few (looking at you, Scooch) is not doing anything for me at all so I just hope we can avoid the murky, discarded depths of null point.

I wish we didn't have to deal with the Ukraine situation a few years ago (and the associated sympathy vote to give them first place) because Spaceman was an awesome song that should've won. (and song-wise, way better than whatever it was that Ukraine had)

Question: I'm looking to buy Flashpoint by the Rolling Stones, but am I correct in saying that, for some stupid reason, a complete album was never released? They seem to have recorded more stuff that was only released as b-sides, whatever those are.

25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Question: I'm looking to buy Flashpoint by the Rolling Stones, but am I correct in saying that, for some stupid reason, a complete album was never released? They seem to have recorded more stuff that was only released as b-sides, whatever those are.

FLASHPOINT is a live album. It documents (in part) the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour.

The full concert can be found on STEEL WHEELS LIVE, released in 2000.

The Flashpoint album has two extra non-live tracks, but aside from that, as Fart explained, it's compiled from live performances of existing songs. Of course, with the Stones, you could always add multiple discs of extra tracks from live concerts or discarded studio material, but as far as I'm aware, the album as presented is in no way "incomplete".