E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (John Williams)  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overblown and with too many notes.

"Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

For me, I can't praise the E.T score enough.

Dark moodyness,

Playfullness,

Full on Bombast,

1940s movie sweeping romance.

Well done Mr Williams. Hurrah, and may ye live long and prosper. ;)

I wonder if new generations are as enchanted by the film and the score as the public once was in 1982. I feel that ET, as a film, has lost a lot of attention. People simply don't mention it anymore. It doesn't appear on lists, not even in IMDB's top 250.

Alex

It still tends to be shown quite a lot here in the UK as a Sunday 'family movie'.

I of course don't know how people in other houses and of the new generation are responding to it, but I would guess they are responding in the same way we did. The themes (as in script) in the movie are timeless and everyone can relate to them. Then again there are movies from the 70s that have such themes in them too but are not shown anymore by the TV channels because they are considered 'dated' in their eyes. It's a shame, and one day eventually E.T as a movie may dissapear into obscurity as new movies with similar themes take over. But for the moment I think it's still alive and well for the moment.

I wonder if new generations are as enchanted by the film and the score as the public once was in 1982. I feel that ET, as a film, has lost a lot of attention. People simply don't mention it anymore.

You're right. E.T. is fading.

Sadly.

Well at least we can thankfully say it was never cheapened with a sequel.

And yes it is sad that this film seems to have disappeared.

I watched the special edition of E.T. last week, but saw nothing that bothered me. But then I never did grow up with the film and I might never even have seen the original.

There's nothing as awful in there as in the Star Wars Trilogy SEs, but I really disliked how fluid E.T. moved in the new bathroom scene. It just looked far more unnatural than the puppet (in nature, things don't move fluidly either, there's always a little jerk or off move somewhere).

It was cheapened in 2002.

Not as bad as a sequel though, but still.

Yeah but Spielberg had enough sense to give us the original version as well.

Yeah you still have to buy the 2002 version to get the original here as well, although it's only a 2 disc set.

I splurged and bought the big box set.

They switched disc 2 and 3 here, so the original cut is on disc 3 and disc 2 contains all the bonus material. You'll be hard pressed to find the 3-disc still in stores here. Most just carry the single 20th AE disc.

Nice score, but except for the Main thematics, a lot of underscore. Most of the album just doesn't work for me. The music doesn't work for me in the movie neither. So IMO not up there with Jurassic Park, Sorcerer's Stone, Empire Strikes Back or Hook. Still 4 stars. Hope people can respect a different view on this classic score.

4.5 stars for being absolutely amazing but sort of rubbing me the wrong way... I don't know; like Jurassic Park, I never quite got into it.

Didn't read your post before I wrote mine but it's the same way for me. I have the LP, the 1996 edition and the 25th anniversary edition albums, and the piano solos and the full score, but it doesn't help in my case :-s

Hitch must be destroyed, oh wait he died years ago.

I wonder if new generations are as enchanted by the film and the score as the public once was in 1982. I feel that ET, as a film, has lost a lot of attention. People simply don't mention it anymore. It doesn't appear on lists, not even in IMDB's top 250.

Alex

It was like number 5 on AFI's top 100 films, that was about a year ago I think.

4 stars after I listened to Howard HANSON.. and I found out that many of the major motifs are "inspired" (well I guess it was a temp-track) by the nordic symphony of HH (Adventures on Earth) and the.. I think Requiem - Dies Irae (Over the Moon)

Actually, the Hanson I've heard (and that includes the symphony) always left me quite cold. E.T. never did. :P

You can never tire of Hanson. Mmm bop.

And for the record, I am NOT scum NOR Italian although Mother claims to have showered with over 1,000 Italian soldiers during WW2.

Alex

AFI's Top 10 films are always the same save for like 1 new film differing ever year. Citizen Cane is always #1. There is always The Godfather, Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, and Casablanca. I seriously doubt E.T. was on there.

It has to be a cult classic or a gay iconic movie to get into the AFI's Top 10.

Alex

AFI's Top 10 films are always the same save for like 1 new film differing ever year. Citizen Cane is always #1. There is always The Godfather, Wizard Of Oz, Gone With The Wind, and Casablanca. I seriously doubt E.T. was on there.

E.T. has been around #25 for all the lists if I'm not mistaken.

Alex

I don't remember too much, but It's A Wonderful World was number 1, Schindler's List was number 2, and E.T. and Star Wars were somewhere in there, closer to 1 than to 100.

ET is a better film and film score than Schindler's List, that movie is way overrated.

2001, better than Star Wars, E.T., and BTTF?

Hell yes!

I agree. I was kinda surprised to see Star Wars within the Top 20. It's just a pop culture classic, not really a superb film.

you're an idiot for saying that.

Star Wars is a superb film in virtually everyway.

and no 2001 is not a better film than Star Wars, or ET, but better than BTTF

Hell yes!

I agree. I was kinda surprised to see Star Wars within the Top 20. It's just a pop culture classic, not really a superb film.

May as well add that to your signature. I already hear it way too often from you.

Hell yes!

May as well add that to your signature. I already hear it way too often from you.

I'd tell anyone the same thing if they said Star Wars wasn't a superb film. Contrary to what is believed by many here, it is the best of the Star Wars family of films