Planet Of The Apes

Koray Savas

9 hours ago, thestat said:

Very glad to hear that. Paesano's a real talent that can do anything (not in the reductive Jeff Russo way). Any interesting orchestral moments?

Yes, some. The Goldsmithian elements, as mentioned before, and some big epic things (with choir and everything), and the return of MELODY in several instances. But you'll have to be patient about it; there are a lot of those chuggachugga RC-isms to wade through as well. If there's any album to be had here, it needs to be heavily playlisted.

I really like Dawn and War, Rise is decent but below the other two IMHO (although I haven't watched it start to finish since 2011, only caught glimpses of it on TV over the last years). And yeah, Gia's scores work really well with the movies. I like how Reeves is always able to bring Giacchino's dark side, both here and on The Batman.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I like how Reeves is always able to bring Giacchino's dark side, both here and on The Batman.

And Cloverfield. And Let Me In. 😀

There seems to a Matt Reeves sound coming from Giacchino. Dark, motivic/minimalistic and textural.

Karol 

29 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES is great. Eric Braeden is absolutely chilling, as Dr. Hasslein.

Jerry's score is good, too.

Yeah, it's a pretty decent sequel.

Furthermore, I'm one of the three people on the planet (of the apes) who also think Burton's film has a lot going for it.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm one of the three people on the planet (of the apes) who also think Burton's film has a lot going for it.

I kind of agree here. Any film with Paul Giamatti, David Warner, Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Erik Avari, Linda Harrison, and Michael Clarke Duncan (not to mention Chuck Heston himself), can't be all bad.

It's beautifully shot by Philip Rousselot.

How Wahlberg ever got to be a leading man in anything is quite beyond me.

Yeah. Performances & make-up (esp. Roth, Bonham Carter and Giamatti), fantastic production design and cinematography and one of Elfman's best scores post-millennium. So what if Wahlberg has the charisma & acting chops of a soft ice, and the story has a few twist and turns and holes. It's not enough to make me dislike it, or even say it's a bad film!

I thought Rise was excellent. The best since the original. I didn't care for either of the sequels or Matt Reeves approach to the material. I'm not sure I'll see the new one.

It's sort of how I view the Bourne movies. I loved the original, and think it's one of the best spy flicks ever. I didn't care for any of the Bourne sequels much either, however, and I found Greengrass's direction annoying.

Actually, I sort of feel the same way about The Hunger Games after the first. 

In all three cases, a new director came onboard who became the face of the franchise, but in all three cases, I preferred the first film.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Furthermore, I'm one of the three people on the planet (of the apes) who also think Burton's film has a lot going for it.

I found the twist at the end super cool.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

See? See? Right there ^

|

That's how to defend a film.

If he had said that about a movie you dislike (or even hate), would you still say that? ;)

But yeah, while I don't exactly have good memories of watching the Burton remake as a child I'm sure if I saw it again as an adult I would certainly appreciate it way more. It may actually be an underrated movie.

The 1968 original is fantastic, but I have a guilty-pleasure spot for Beneath. Rosenman does a good job of aping (oh yeah, that’s right) Goldsmith’s wonderful serialism, plus you get the Mass of the Holy Bomb which sounds like the church music of Kenneth Leighton in a really unexpected way.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If he had said that about a movie you dislike (or even hate), would you still say that? ;)

That's the thing, dude; I don't like POTA (2001), I never have, and I probably never will.

I do, however, appreciate aspects of the film.

46 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's the thing, dude; I don't like POTA (2001), I never have, and I probably never will.

I do, however, appreciate aspects of the film.

I like the prosthetic make up, Tim Roth and the score.

Karol

On 8/5/2024 at 4:27 PM, crocodile said:

The previous three movies are pretty good. And, to be honest, I also quite like Giacchino's scores. 

Karol

I really need to watch the second and third ones as I recall enjoying the first. All that have pretty decent scores, Patrick Doyle fairly far out of his natural range but doing a bang up job and Giacchino turning in some of his best work of the period for the other two. However I don’t think any of those three scores are as distinctive as either Jerry’s original or Danny Elfman’s for the 2001 version. I need to listen to the 60s/70s sequel scores again as I don’t really recall them at all. The music for the tv series was pretty decent too as i recall. Looking forward to hearing what John Paesano has come up with for this new film but have to admit that the only thing I have really liked by him was his Avengers theme park music obviously based on music from the various movies. 

I liked Paeason's music for the Spiderman PS4/5 games. Sure, A LOT of annoying RCisms especially in the action scenes, but the emotional parts are quite good.

Anyway, here's the album details:

image.jpeg

1. Discovery (6:31)
2. The Climb (3:01)
3. Maybe Echo (2:10)
4. Eagle Clan (3:52)
5. We Have Good Rain (2:04)
6. Broken (2:47)
7. Marauders in the Mist (3:45)
8. For Caesar (4:27)
9. Noa’s Purpose (4:12)
10. The Valley Beyond (1:44)
11. I Am Raka (5:21)
12. Memories of Home (3:50)
13. Caesar’s Compassion (2:07)
14. She Is Different (3:03)
15. They Are Like You (3:34)
16. Human Hunt (4:44)
17. New Weapon (5:15)
18. A Kingdom for Apes (3:41)
19. What a Wonderful Day (3:29)
20. Apes Will Learn, I Will Learn (3:49)
21. Together Strong (3:10)
22. Very Clever Apes (7:57)
23. Simian Summit (3:31)
24. A Past Discovered (5:44)
25. Cannot Trust a Human (5:21)
26. Ape Aquatics (3:57)
27. It Was Ours (4:40)
28. We Will Rebuild (4:03)
29. A New Age (2:08)

Paesano’s score includes the track Human Hunt, an homage to Jerry Goldsmith’s The Hunt from the 1968’s original Planet of the Apes. The soundtrack will be released digitally tomorrow, May 10. 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/05/09/kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-soundtrack-album-details/

TWO HOURS! "It's a MADHOUSE!".

Oh well, I expected it to be one of those excessive things, but I feel confident it's possible to whittle this down to a solid 40 minutes or so.

In addition to the hunt music (which wasn't verbatim the Goldsmith, but close), there was also some of that Goldsmith search music approximated.

Yeah, Paesano's work on the Spider-Man games is really good. Some really strong themes in there, so I'm looking forward to hear what he has done for this. I've only listened to the first track and that new Discovery theme already feels like a development of Giacchino's theme for humanity from the previous films, and then there's also the Goldsmith references, so it's great that he's respecting what came before him!

Having seen the film last night, it definitely feels to be as much of a continuation of what Giacchino was doing without him actually do the score. A lot of the great melodic themes and sounds in the previous two films fit nicely with the music in this film, which has also been given a strong Goldsmith infusion with a lot of drums and foreboding at times. I think Giacchino's work was better overall, but this score is a suitable replacement and helps support another great Apes film.

I enjoyed the film a lot.

The score felt part Goldsmith, part Giacchino and part RC/MV. Unfortunately nothing stood out to me as being distinct for this film. It hit all the right notes, but it never elevated anything. I'll give it a listen later, and hopefully it'll grow on me, but my first impression is that this film could and should have had a much better score.

“Human Hunt” is one of the strongest action cues of the past few years. The Goldsmith quotes ( instrumentally and in terms of motifs) have been perfectly transformed into a more contemporary Hollywood sound without losing the modernistic flair of the original. Really a great piece! Apart from “Very Clever Apes”, this is unfortunately the only cue in the score that clearly stands out from the expectedly heavily Giacchino-influenced mass. However, I also really like "A New Age" with its brutal 11/8 ostinato.

I'm positively surprised by the score. Very refreshing that the producers and their hired composer have finally decided to pay tribute to Goldsmith and that Paesano has delivered a pretty solid score of his own. The movie is supposed to be pretty good too.