The Great Movie villains

JoeinAR

With all due respect to Marc and his dislike for lists, I propose we make a list of our favorite "great" movie villains. Lists are bad M'kay.

Now don't just throw out a name, tell us why they are a great villain. Try to concentrate on usually the original performances, the ones that set the character off from the ordinary bad guy.

Do it ONE at time, give us a reason why the actors performance was so great. Lets make this more of a list/discussion thread as opposed to simply naming a list of bad guys, hell I could google a list and post it and we'd be done.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a number of characters/actors come to mind, but they're mostly obvious, and I'd like to try and get one of the less-obvious choices into this thread.

Ray Milland as Tony Wendice in Dial M For Murder.

One of the great strengths of the Hitchcock canon is that it's bursting at the seams with fabulous heels. Milland's Wendice is one of the most memorable, in my opinion, and I think that a big part of the reason for that is that Hitchcock does a marvelous job of putting the audience in sympathy with Wendice. We know that he wants to have his wife killed because she has been unfaithful to him. However, rather than allow us to become too sympathetic toward Milland/Wendice, Hitchcock also allows us to be sympathetic toward Grace Kelly and Robert Cummings, who are very likeable, extremely attractive people.

One of the masterstrokes of the movie -- and of Hitchcock career overall -- is the scene in which Wendice is on the phone listening to Kelly's murder. On the one hand, we don't want to see the gorgeous Kelly get butchered; however, we also watch movies like this because some part of us, no matter how small, is morbidly obsessed with murder, and on that level, we do want to see Kelly get killed. The scene can't help but bring out some sort of tension within us, wherein what we want to see and what we don't want to see are in conflict with each other.

Hitchcock focuses this conflict through the character of Tony Wendice, and allows our more corrupt and bloody-minded desires to be played out through him. We simply refocus those desires into a different desire: we don't want Tony's plans to fail. After all, at some point, we've had plans of our own fail, and we know what that feels like. Thus, we sympathize with Tony, if only indirectly, and we end up with a vested (though mostly sublimated) interest in seeing him come out on top.

Tony, then, is a memorable and chilling villain because Hitchcock does a masterful job of forcing us to see ourselves in him. Hitchcock would pull this trick again on numerous occasions (probably never better than with Norman Bates in Psycho), but I find Dial M For Murder to be a very satisfying example of his approach to villainy.

I didn't talk about Milland as much there as I probably should have. He's very charming in the role, but he also brings an excellent sense of menacing power. He's terrific throughout the movie, but his best scene is probably the one in which he blackmails the guy into taking part in his plot of kill Margot. Not only is in in charge every step of the way, he's really rather likeable, or at least admirable in the way that very powerful and compelling people tend to be. I wouldn't want to know a man like him, but if I did, I'd probably hang on his every word, whether I wanted to or not. I'm not at all familiar with Milland in any other roles, so I don't know if this was a typical performance from him; but I know it's a great one here.

Freddy Krueger - who could not think this bozo is the greatest? He can tap into your greatest fears and use them against you, and even twist things you like and unique to your personality. He does it in such a crazy, whacked out fashion, he kills with style, and I like it! No-one can play him like Robert Englund, bwhaha! He's just so nuts and flamboyant, even in the first film, where he takes his victims on with some entertaining theatricality. That pizza face is enough to give kids nightmares for months.

Freddy Krueger - who could not think this bozo is the greatest? He can tap into your greatest fears and use them against you, and even twist things you like and unique to your personality. He does it in such a crazy, whacked out fashion, he kills with style, and I like it! No-one can play him like Robert Englund, bwhaha! He's just so nuts and flamboyant, even in the first film, where he takes his victims on with some entertaining theatricality. That pizza face is enough to give kids nightmares for months.

Yeah, that's a good one. I enjoy Englund/Krueger so much that I enjoy even the worst of the sequels. That touch of personality is one of the things the Elm Street series had going for it that the other horror series of the '80s didn't.

The creature from LV-426. Why? Because he makes the high school bully seem so much less intimidating.

Oh come on, Paul Reiser as Carter Burke is even better, and he really makes you hate this slimy company arsehole that you're so glad he gets killed in such a horrific way by one of the aliens. He's the real bad guy.

Col. William Tavington in The Patriot, played by the brilliant Jason Isaacs. He was just downright remorseless and evil.

Jamesyboy

The creature from LV-426. Why? Because he makes the high school bully seem so much less intimidating.

Oh come on, Paul Reiser as Carter Burke is even better, and he really makes you hate this slimy company arsehole that you're so glad he gets killed in such a horrific way by one of the aliens. He's the real bad guy.

Good call. Reiser is slimy as slimy can be in that movie; very memorable. What makes him so villainous is the fact that he's willing to profit off so terrifying a creature as the Alien.

Auric Goldfinger from Goldfinger performed by Gert Frobe.

An ultimate Bond villain, extremely intelligent with fantastic dry sense of humour and charming in his own, wicked way. Never again Bond villain was so cool.

An ultimate Bond villain, extremely intelligent with fantastic dry sense of humour and charming in his own, wicked way. Never again Bond villain was so cool.

Performed by Gert Frobe and Michael Collins (who did the voice).

I was fascinated when I found out that Goldfinger's voice was entirely looped. Goldfinger is indeed a great villain, and that marvelous voice is an enormous part of his appeal. I wonder how that might have changed with a different voice-over actor performing that role . . . or Frobe speaking his own part.

Goldfinger is probably my favorite lead villain, but I think my favorite villain of all is a henchman: Robert Shaw's Red Grant. He's just so imposing physically; he's one of the few Bond villains who you feel is really a match for 007.

Oh yes. Greatest villain of them all.

Goldfinger is probably my favorite lead villain, but I think my favorite villain of all is a henchman: Robert Shaw's Red Grant. He's just so imposing physically; he's one of the few Bond villains who you feel is really a match for 007.

Shaw is fantastic, and the train fight is still the most brutal fight in all of Bond history. Unmatched on every level.

The Jigsaw, from Saw.

The plans he concocts, and the devices he creates, are nothing short of absolute genius, even if twisted and sadistic.

He forces his victims to explore the morally gray areas of life, and determine just how far they would go (and how like himself they would become) just to live. And all this from a man on his deathbed himself.

Plus, how many movies of this genre can survive four (soon five) incarnations without becoming ridiculous and falling apart.

Performed by Gert Frobe and Michael Collins (who did the voice).

I was fascinated when I found out that Goldfinger's voice was entirely looped. Goldfinger is indeed a great villain, and that marvelous voice is an enormous part of his appeal. I wonder how that might have changed with a different voice-over actor performing that role . . . or Frobe speaking his own part.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that dubbing... Indeed, you're right - the voice does half of the job!

As for Grant - he was my other Bond-related choice, but since I was to mention only one actor, I decided to go for Goldfinger.

I don't think he's the greatest, but Kevin Spacey as Williamson in Glengarry Glenn Ross is one of the most hateful characters I've come across. A personficiation of a specific kind of villainy in the late 20th century.

I don't think he's the greatest, but Kevin Spacey as Williamson in Glengarry Glenn Ross is one of the most hateful characters I've come across. A personficiation of a specific kind of villainy in the late 20th century.

I don't know nothing about this one, but as far as Spacey is concerned, both The Usual Suspect and 7 instantly come to my mind. What always strikes me about his two characters from that movies, is the contrast between their doings and their ordinary, almost boring appearance.

I don't understand the talk of him as villain in The Usual Suspects. I mean, obviously, he is. But the extent of the villainous behavior we actually see is him walking down the street and lighting a cigarette. I've never thought of him as a true villain in that movie.

I don't understand the talk of him as villain in The Usual Suspects. I mean, obviously, he is. But the extent of the villainous behavior we actually see is him walking down the street and lighting a cigarette. I've never thought of him as a true villain in that movie.

In some way you are right, however, I actually consider his Verbal Kint persona as a major element of his villainous bahviour - mainly because of its deceptive and insidious nature. In the end it's also us who feel tricked and his cool walk is kind of slap in our face too.

Personally, one of the best 'villains' I've seen and that gets my vote today is Antonio Salieri as portrayed by F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus.

Alex

Col. William Tavington in The Patriot, played by the brilliant Jason Isaacs. He was just downright remorseless and evil.

Oh, yeah. I totally agree.

Unfortunately, every bad guy Jason Isaac's plays is played like Col. Tavington

Peter Lorre as the child murderer in M. My memory is vague on this film because I saw it well over 20 years ago. His appearance alone gave him a creepy feeling.

One of the more memorable traits of his character was that he whistled "In the Hall of the Mountain King" and that was also used in the score, much like the two notes in Jaws, to signal that he was nearby.

You people are blithering idiots, clearly. Darth Vader? Might as well put Tom from Tom and Jerry with that one as well.

There is one and only one truly great, and all others are merely good villains.

Let me give you a hint, he was portrayed by Sir Anthony Hopkins.

The runner up would be a villain portrayed by Louise Fletcher.

More on these later!

The Jigsaw, from Saw.

The plans he concocts, and the devices he creates, are nothing short of absolute genius, even if twisted and sadistic.

He forces his victims to explore the morally gray areas of life, and determine just how far they would go (and how like himself they would become) just to live. And all this from a man on his deathbed himself.

Plus, how many movies of this genre can survive four (soon five) incarnations without becoming ridiculous and falling apart.

they can't, all the Saw movies are utter trash.

You people are blithering idiots, clearly. Darth Vader? Might as well put Tom from Tom and Jerry with that one as well.

There is one and only one truly great, and all others are merely good villains.

The runner up would be a villain portrayed by Louise Fletcher.

More on these later!

Hannible Lecter and Nurse Ratchet

Anyone can qoute the AFI list...

Indeed, John Quincy Adams in Amistad was terrifying.

Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. Probably the most stunning performance I've seen in a movie theatre in the last 10 years.

You obviously haven't seen There Will Be Blood.

Heath Ledger as The Joker. A villain without a purpose is probably one of the worst there is.

"Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. "

Tim Roth in Rob Roy as Archibald Cunningham. Takes so much away from Neeson, and yet when he is killed in the final duel (Some brilliant fencing there as well) it feels great. It was his his small stature, arrogance, and pure disregard for humanity to get what he wanted that made him so great. Pretty cool movie, as well.

The Emperor from the Star Wars films.

He is actually one of the most interesting villains despite his utter lack of redeeming qualities. He is pure evil, a man totally consumed by his lust for power and absolute control. He is also ready to do anything to achieve it and feels no remorse for any of his actions, takes delight in the pain and suffering of others and relishes every opporturnity to flaunt his seemingly unlimited power. Even his appearance seems to reflect his corrupted soul. Ian McDiarmid's original performance in RotJ is absolutely perfect and for me the character is the reason to see the Prequels. The character is of course different in the Prequels which show Palpatine playing a different role to achieve his ultimate goal. And I think McDiarmid's performance with those little hints of that evil underneath, that cunning and malice, is fascinating. It is like knowing who the murderer is and watching how he slowly creeps closer and closer in for the kill. His every scene has an entirely different feel when you know what the character is going to become. Well at least untill the ROTS Palpatine VS Yoda duel which turns the character into a drooling cackling maniac deprived of any sense of power. That scene should have been left unfilmed.

Well at least untill the ROTS Palpatine VS Yoda duel which turns the character into a drooling cackling maniac deprived of any sense of power.

Wasn't he already a cackling old geezer in Return of the Jedi?

I'd like to add Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty to the list, even though his villain status can be discussed. He's clearly supposed to be a bad guy, killing people and being the biggest thread to our hero. But he is also the most human character in the entire film, and to me, he is the reason to watch Blade Runner. His death scene sums up the film's theme (or one of the many - but the one I connect with most at least) so wonderfully. I can watch that entire movie for that scene alone.

"All those... moments... will be lost... like tears... in... rain..."

And the whole idea that I feel the biggest emotion when the film's villain dies just turns the whole movie on its head. I love it.

Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. Probably the most stunning performance I've seen in a movie theatre in the last 10 years.

That's one of my favorites as well. He made a pretty despicable guy oddly appealing.

I'll mention Amon Goeth from Schindler's List.

To be honest I didn't and haven't felt the need to watch the re-make.

But speaking of Sean Bean, while not really great, I thought he made a very solid villian in Goldeneye.

Everything about the movie was bad, including Sean Bean. I was just joking.

Surely you at least liked the score? :)

(joking also)

To be honest I didn't and haven't felt the need to watch the re-make.

But speaking of Sean Bean, while not really great, I thought he made a very solid villian in Goldeneye.

Agreed. Best Brosnan villain (although I do have a weakness for Elliot Carver).

cast_crew_william_atherton.jpg

Just one of the greatest movie scumbags ever. Some of the best movie villains are the slimey ones.

Trading-Places--C10045389.jpeg

Forget the Gruber Bros. These two are the real undefeated champions of brotherly villainy.

Just noticed I broke the rules of the thread. Oops.