Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

You have to image that you are watching TV and that your program is interrupted by this message. Viral video: It's a new way of advertising. Don't worry, we'll see normal trailers too.

Viral video: It's a new way of advertising.

I think we're all well aware this is supposed to be a viral video. But that's a poor one, that's the thing.

I couldn't tell based on the comments. Sorry.

Just watched the promo, it was crap.

American accents really aren't as good as villainous English ones. The voice of Zod here lacked mockery and threat, it just sounded like some guy from a Tom Clancy kidnap movie. Definitely a failed experiment in generating buzz.

The more I think about it, the better I like it. It connects perfectly with the alien visitor philosophy Nolan has been talking about and it's another confirmation that that they are not going for a childish Marvel movie. Perhaps adding a bit of the Kryptonian language would've been even better.

The Englishman as a villain is a cliché.

The Englishman as a villain is a cliché.

One the biggest, but also one of the most reliable. This just sounded like some guy. Ineffective as far as the promotion's intent goes, but I'm sure the character as seen in the film will be a more effective manifestation.

It's just an old corny convention which is as tired as they come, but in a movie about superheros, or good vs evil stories per se, it's still a surprisingly potent cliché to exercise. Cliché is not inherently a bad thing, remember.

I know, it's just a tool. Maybe it's just the linguistic prestige of an upper class British accent that makes it work.*

In things like, say, The Avengers, maybe it might make sense in the collective mind because Loki and Thor are loosely inspired in European traditions. While Zod is just like another made up character. Probably in many productions in the USA they want the villain to sound "foreign" but still speak English so they stick with the Brits lol

( * That's another surprising thing, here we don't normally associate accents with economic class.)

His heat vision and a mirror usually.

Personally, I'd have a linguist develop some cool Kryptonian language.

that would be monumentally stupid

It's possible. Sounds like it could be the drum circle thing he was talking about. If so, I'm semi-relieved--it's certainly not the standard wall-of-sound percussion we've come to expect, so that helps. There are times in the trailer where I can just let it go and let it be its own thing, but there are others where it feels a bit undercooked. We'll see (IF it's Zimmer).

The trailer itself, though? Oh, yeah. Looking good, I think. Looking quite good. I'm ready for this.

A slight tip of the hat to the Donner film in a few scenes perhaps?

my thoughts exactly.

If that is Zimmer's fabled drum circle, this score might just be interesting.

The film looks good, but some of the CGI looks weird. The opening battle sequence looks a bit video-gameish

Sounds too much like trailer music though.

But hey, it sounds more interesting than a lot of the drivel Zimmer's created in the last few years.