Williams new project! "A Timeless Call"

MissPadmé

Hey as you can read about it on the main page...

Wow that was unexpected wasn't it??

hmm I hope this will be released in some form, sounds promising. What could we expect: A American Journey/SPR Cross Over.. (Well American Journey already has some SPR in it ;) )

So will this be more of the same.?. hm maybe, but great and patriotic!

I can sense a Horn Solo :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting indeed.

Let's see if John's music brings more luck to Obama than it did with Dukakis.

Actually- Forget that. John could have written the equivalent of Star Wars for that man and it wouldn't have saved him...

I wonder how many people will be desperate enough to sit thru the Democratic Convention to watch this.

Hopefully just one. The rest of us can watch it on YouTube.

Neil

hmm I hope this will be released in some form

Probably not... the Republicans pirate an existing song for their campaign, and the Democrats get an original piece which might not even become available in pirated form... meh. ;)

I wonder how many people will be desperate enough to sit thru the Democratic Convention to watch this.

Neil

Indeed!

Well Obama would be the best if he would say:" If I get elected.. I will release the "Fanfare for Michael Dukakis" , "A Timeless Call" and "The Complete OSTs for the Indiana Jones Trilogy" on CD!"

they just don't know how t get the most votes... ;)

Didn't expect to see Spielberg directing it, since nothing's been said about it until today, but Williams is scoring so I should've assumed as much.

Let's see if John's music brings more luck to Obama than it did with Dukakis.

He should just use The Emperor's Theme...

Yeah, true, but it would also sound funny with McCain. Simply because hearing a pasty old guy continuing to say "My Friends" over a 7-min loop of low chorus droning would remind me of Palpatine.

Oh yeah! This will be great! So glad Jonny and the Spiel are contributing! There's always that chance that we'll get another masterpiece tonight.

Neil

I find that way of thinking a little disrespectful for the people that waste their time for us.

The more interesting question is: when does the convention air?

It'll probably be tonight, sometime after the 9 PM Eastern hour I'm thinking.

Oh, the political animal in me always drags me in (I watched Hillary's speech last night). And since it's, for me, the opposing side up right now I always get a few laughs.

During Bill Clinton's re-election campaign, they used Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop," so now every time I hear that song, I think of him.

At least I should only hear this new campaign song when I want to, so I'm glad John Williams has written an original composition for this campaign.

This is only a political topic if people drag their personal and political opinions into it. Otherwise it's just about a composer writing a song for a live public event. Williams did it for the last All-Star game if I'm not mistaken, and also the Olympics. Discussion of those topics could devolve into ugly National League versus American league mudslinging, or regarding the Olympics, open discussion of ongoing wars between participating nations. But we're mature enough to not let it.

Aren't we?

Williams conducted the Pops at the '04 Dem convention in Boston and we discussed it very civily. Certainly moreso than, say, the average prequel discussion at that time.

C-SPAN is a good place to see if a video of the video will be up, and I think you can watch live streaming there too.

Cool! I'm excited to see/hear this. And from the description on the main page, it doesn't sound like it's a political piece, or relevant to any specific candidate's campaign, but rather a general "tribute to the country's veterans." Which is good, I wouldn't want a perfectly good Williams score tainted by its association with tonight's proceedings. ;)

I heard a bit of the "Raiders March" played at one of McCain's speeches. Ugh, it's a shame. The only connection I can find is through age, as both Indy and McCain are old now.

Other than that, Indy's a good and smart person who has good morals, so I don't know how they made a connection like that... ;)

I'm really just not interested in this piece of music.

nor am I, I wish John would not do anything to support either of these pathetic candidates this election.

nor am I, I wish John would not do anything to support either of these pathetic candidates this election.

I usually avoid political discussions but I agree 100% with Joe.

I usually avoid political discussions but I agree 100% with Joe.

I'm certainly far from thrilled with who my side ended up picking, but it's better than the alternative.

John- who has a feeling a lot of these posts will...vanish

My DVR has spun up.... I just need to figure out how to get it from the TV to Adobe Audition 3.0

My DVR has spun up.... I just need to figure out how to get it from the TV to Adobe Audition 3.0

It started!!!!!

It started!!!!!

I hear some BOTFOJ pepperings!!!!

It was alright. Didn't really reach creatively.

I'm torn between being thrilled about more JW music and horrified at the cause that he's aligned himself with.

Mm... Horrified? Is it really that bad? I guess I'd be horrified if Williams aligned himself with the government of Saudi Arabia or something like that.

Got it on DVR.

It was very appropriate, and I thought well scored - not as much patriotic 'The Patriot'-music as I had feared, much more in the vein of Saving Private Ryan.

The first two minutes were very good, some moving piano and strings music with the theme.

I'm torn between being thrilled about more JW music and horrified at the cause that he's aligned himself with.

I initially was, too, but wasn't this video about American soldiers? If it was, then I console myself with assuming he did it for the troops, and not the Messiah.

And as far as political discussions go, we're all adults here (or mostly), I always wished people could behave well enough so that politics wasn't banned everywhere.

Mm... Horrified? Is it really that bad? I guess I'd be horrified if Williams aligned himself with the government of Saudi Arabia or something like that.

;)

Well, I recorded it also... from the NBC video stream, so I'll wait for any of those DVR recordings. If anyone wants to see/hear my own can PM me though, although the quality leaves much to be desired.

Whatever their political affiliations both Spielberg and Hanks have long proven to be friends and supporters of our soldiers and the military. That's good enough for me, regardless of which convention it's playing at.

I'll second Henry's "all right" on the score. Nothing really stood out to me.