Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Aliens feels very Cameron-y to me, not Verhoeven-y at all

I get that Verhoeven feeling when I watch Aliens. The novel Starship Troopers was a major influence to Aliens and Verhoeven wanted the action scenes to look like moments from Cameron's Aliens.

For the record, Cameron didn't like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers at all. He didn't like that it wasn't serious, like the novel.

Could it be that our very own Koray is James Cameron? ;)

Alex

Aliens feels very Cameron-y to me, not Verhoeven-y at all

I get that Verhoeven feeling when I watch Aliens. The novel Starship Troopers was a major influence to Aliens and Verhoeven wanted the action scenes to look like moments from Cameron's Aliens.

For the record, Cameron didn't like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers at all. He didn't like that it wasn't serious, like the novel.

Could it be that our very own Koray is James Cameron? ;)

Alex

Give Koray $225,000,000 and tell him to go away and make a crap 3D film that rips-off every Roger Dean album cover you've ever seen, and has absolutely nothing to say about anything, and he might be. Other than that? Probably not.

Give Koray $225,OOO,OOO and tell him to go away and make a crap 3D film that rips-off every Roger Dean album cover you've ever seen, and has absolutely nothing to say about anything, and he might be. Other than that? Probably not.

Well done, friend. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody use the letter O as a zero.

But it sounds amazing judging from a demo disc. I've heard that early battle in DTS-HD MA. Knocked my socks off !!! It's the stuff that moves your equipment by a couple of inches. :drool:

Haven't seen the film though.

Have you seen "The Year Of Living Dangerously"?

Give Koray $225,OOO,OOO and tell him to go away and make a crap 3D film that rips-off every Roger Dean album cover you've ever seen, and has absolutely nothing to say about anything, and he might be. Other than that? Probably not.

Well done, friend. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody use the letter O as a zero.

Happy to oblige...I think.

A lot of people on Facebook are whinging that the new Godzilla blu-ray looks too dark. And yet bluray.com gave its video quality a perfect score.

I wonder if the people complaining all have LCD/LED TVs and this BD is demonstrating how inferior they are at reproducing adequate blacks?

A lot of people on Facebook are whinging that the new Godzilla blu-ray looks too dark. And yet bluray.com gave its video quality a perfect score.

I wonder if the people complaining all have LCD/LED TVs and this BD is demonstrating how inferior they are at reproducing adequate blacks?

This has nothing to do with the TV technology. The colour palette is intentionally dark, muted. Check out these screens from the blu-ray.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered my missing De Palmas, Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Cinema Paradiso.

Cinema Paradiso is a great release!

Although I have seen only the theatrical version so far..

I've never seen the film. I've been wanting to for years, but the long cut was always either difficult to get or rather expensive.

And judging from The Legend of 1900, where I don't remember the short cut but can't imagine a single scene taken out of the long version, I really don't want to miss out on the DC.

I've never seen the film. I've been wanting to for years, but the long cut was always either difficult to get or rather expensive.

And judging from The Legend of 1900, where I don't remember the short cut but can't imagine a single scene taken out of the long version, I really don't want to miss out on the DC.

Many people suggest to see the theatrical cut first.

And because I know what has been added (a sort of continuation of the story), I would suggest this too..

It's a pity though that in the theatrical cut there is a clumsy edit of the music in a scene, since there were some more shots there from the longer cut that were deleted..

Thanks for the tip. I ordered my missing De Palmas, Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Cinema Paradiso.

Which "IOTBS", Marian, the original, or the Phil Kaufman remake?

It's the remake:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Invasion-of-the-Body-Snatchers-Blu-ray/80402/

Only noticed this now, so perhaps someone has posted it before and I missed it, but Twilight Time is set to release Judgement at Nuremberg on Blu-ray in November!

I've only seen it once, and that was the German dub on TV. I've been itching to see it again, undubbed, for years, but the only DVD release had pretty bad reviews. This should be great.