What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is that version follows the book more closely than the film does. Yet it's much less satisfying than Kubrick's film.

Kubrick understood that in order to make interesting cinema one has to do more than just follow a book.

Alex

I saw The Omen and The Exorcist back to back, and I must say, I still much prefer the former. The latter seemed to resort to cheap ways of grossing the viewer out as opposed to actually scaring them. Also, the film was way too long (although I was watching the expanded version). The Omen, as always, was great.

Cheap ways how exactly? The masturbation and vomiting only make up a fraction of the running time.

I think the scariest things about the film are the experiences Regan's mother and Karras go through, which aren't half as cheap as demonic dog. As much as I love THE OMEN (although I prefer DAMIEN), it isn't half as good as THE EXORCIST.

Cheap ways how exactly? The masturbation and vomiting only make up a fraction of the running time.

I think the scariest things about the film are the experiences Regan's mother and Karras go through, which aren't half as cheap as demonic dog. As much as I love THE OMEN (although I prefer DAMIEN), it isn't half as good as THE EXORCIST.

Pretty much all the antics that Regan went through I would consider cheap. Vomitting, masterbation, the crabwalk, the spasms, the make-up, the head turn, etc. I wouldn't really say that I ever felt scared for the mother--actually, her sobbing and snapping at the doctors got annoying after a while. And the only time I think Karras ever felt scared was near the end when he was conflicted because she looked like his mother. He was pretty convinced that it was just schizophrenia for 90% of the film.

Nothing in the Exorcist scared me as much as the scene in the Omen in house at the end of the film, or the scene with Mrs. Blaylock in the hospital, or the priest in the storm, or the first nanny's death.

Pretty much all the antics that Regan went through I would consider cheap. Vomitting, masterbation, the crabwalk, the spasms, the make-up, the head turn, etc. I wouldn't really say that I ever felt scared for the mother--actually, her sobbing and snapping at the doctors got annoying after a while. And the only time I think Karras ever felt scared was near the end when he was conflicted because she looked like his mother. He was pretty convinced that it was just schizophrenia for 90% of the film.

Nothing in the Exorcist scared me as much as the scene in the Omen in house at the end of the film, or the scene with Mrs. Blaylock in the hospital, or the priest in the storm, or the first nanny's death.

The first nanny's death scared you? Wuss. I think the scariest thing about that scene is the use of Jerry's music (I love the ponytail but it's laid on with a trowel there).

Live Free Or Die Hard, of course the unrated edition. I still like the movie to this day, very enjoyable to watch definitely a good Die Hard flick.

Minority Report

(...)

I'm not sure if it was the picture quality or Janusz Kaminski, but everything seemed extremely bright and glowing (prob Kaminski) and out of focus (prob picture quality).

The look of the film is Spielberg's decision for the most part. Kaminski doesn't use all that glow and high saturation in his non-Spielberg movies (including his own).

I'm not sure I'd call the Omen scarier, but I find it much more stylish and ultimately more watchable than the Exorcist. I love the cinematography, editing, and of course the music. I think it represents so many different elements of filmmaking coming together to make a perfect storm. The Exorcist is perhaps more shocking and repulsive, but in the end, mush less entertaining.

That is, it scared me more than anything in the Exorcist.

I guess it depends when you first saw it. Now were pretty much accustomed to anything in films, but 30 years ago that film probably had some the most frightening images I'd seen. The Regan "make-up" is also more convincing than any CGI monster will ever be

Omen was scary because of the music

I'm not saying the Omen isn't scary...when they look in the grave, or when Mr.Thorne goes up in the room to check under the hair...but when the movie is over it's over, as most horror films . Exorcist is unsettling afterwards and can give you nightmares for a while

The Exorcist is perhaps more shocking and repulsive, but in the end, mush less entertaining.

That's part of the reason why it's held in so high regard. It really isn't entertainment, it's extraordinarily disturbing. That's why it's so effective, because if you wanted a more repulsive and shocking horror movie you could certainly find one.

Wojo, Hank was trying to sound like Boris Karloff from his Mummy movie.

And I did give a big whoop when I recognized the nerdy guy from Apollo 13's mission control reprising his role in the Air and Space Museum.

Welcome to page 102.

Ron Howard's brother?

From what I've heard about The Omen and The Exorcist and the minimal experience I've had with each, I'm having a really difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that the former would be scarier than the latter. I had two small experiences with each when I was younger, but one had much more of an effect.

With The Omen, I was flipping channels and arrived on AMC, and I wasn't sure what I was watching--I'd later find out it was pretty much the ending of the film. I didn't make it to the credits, but I gotta say: I've heard the story about how Donner got the kid to smile, and man did they pull something off. It's really unsettling the way the smile starts extremely small, and almost impossibly slowly and carefully, it just keeps growing. I had to turn the channel. I didn't know what might come of this, I was probably 10 or 11 years old, and I was in our basement. Didn't wanna mess with it.

Now, The Exorcist...oy. Again, I was flipping channels (this time upstairs in my parent's room, thank God--I don't know what I would've done if I saw any of THAT movie in our basement). I was about a month away from being 12 years old. I hit on TNT, and yippee! it was the very end of Carrie--literally, like the last split second of it. So I had this sorta weird subliminal image practically, and then you know how during the credits they used to have a sidebar with commercials. Well, unfortunately for me, they played a commercial for the movie that was coming up next: The Exorcist. At first it wasn't clear what was going on, but then at one point there was a dark, sort of side angle shot of Regan in the bed. Though it wasn't a straight-on shot, you could see that she was at least partly mutilated, and I don't know if this dialogue actually went with the scene, but they played the line of dialogue from the demon that's something to the effect of "Today would be an excellent day for an exorcism."

:lol:

You know how when something startles you, and you get kind of a jolt through your body? That's what happened to me. It scared/startled the living crap outta me, and quick as a flash, I changed that channel. It was awful. That night I put a half-hour kids' video in and let it play, and when it got to the end credits, I'd just rewind it until finally I could get to sleep. I still haven't seen the film to this day, and I plan to never see any of it again.

you must be a woos cause the Shining is not scary at all, except when Shelly Duval opens her hideous mouth.

Its a film that you can feast on ham though.

Those movies, they aren't superficially scary, using cheap thrills like a Nightmare on Elm Street film or something. They do something psychological, something that stays with you long after you've seen it. They aren't entertaining, if anything they're scarring.

Now, The Exorcist...oy. Again, I was flipping channels (this time upstairs in my parent's room, thank God--I don't know what I would've done if I saw any of THAT movie in our basement). I was about a month away from being 12 years old. I hit on TNT, and yippee! it was the very end of Carrie--literally, like the last split second of it. So I had this sorta weird subliminal image practically, and then you know how during the credits they used to have a sidebar with commercials. Well, unfortunately for me, they played a commercial for the movie that was coming up next: The Exorcist. At first it wasn't clear what was going on, but then at one point there was a dark, sort of side angle shot of Regan in the bed. Though it wasn't a straight-on shot, you could see that she was at least partly mutilated, and I don't know if this dialogue actually went with the scene, but they played the line of dialogue from the demon that's something to the effect of "Today would be an excellent day for an exorcism."

:lol:

You know how when something startles you, and you get kind of a jolt through your body? That's what happened to me. It scared/startled the living crap outta me, and quick as a flash, I changed that channel. It was awful. That night I put a half-hour kids' video in and let it play, and when it got to the end credits, I'd just rewind it until finally I could get to sleep. I still haven't seen the film to this day, and I plan to never see any of it again.

I think being startled by a clip of it out of context is just as bad as watching the movie .It's pretty much the only movie that can do that.

I never watched The Shining to the end

They do something psychological, something that stays with you long after you've seen it. They aren't entertaining, if anything they're scarring.

Exactly. They aren't trying to get cheap gross thrills like horror movies these days that just try to have as much gore as possible.

Ok. I'll take your word on that because I never saw Karloff's Mummy movie, so it's not something I knew. I still didn't like Azaria's accent in this movie, but mostly because the writers gave him really crummy dialogue to speak. I thought repeating the whole "don't touch this" scene again was unnecessary.

And yes, the bald guy I was talking about is Clint Howard. I don't watch enough of Ron Howard's movies to recognize him, I just know him as the EECOM guy from Apollo 13. He also reminds me of Jack Bauer's evil brother from 24.

The Exorcist never left anything for me...I know I've made this comparison many times before, but if I'm ever in a dark hallway I'm going to be thinking of Mrs. Baylock, not Regan.

Angels and Demons:

Wow, this is the best film I've seen this year so far (yes, better than Star Trek). The plot is the best part, but there's other stuff to enjoy. The twist at the end was really appreciated--

I thought that labeling the bald guy as the "bad guy" was horribly predictable

. McGregor could've done better in terms of acting. The music was a disapointement. It seemed like Zimmer just pulled his themes from the first film, cranked up the volume, and plastered them in the new film. He stripped them of any idenity they held in the first film, and turned them into generic intense music. The one thing I loved was the used of the main theme, "CheValiers de Sangreal." That's one cue I'll be buying on iTunes. 3.5/5 stars

The Shining and The Exorcist are the only films that have ever scared me. It's a fucking scary film, Joey, especially to like an 8 year old.

you must have been a girly 8 year old then, cause the movie isn't scary at all, just badly told.

Star Trek III

Great film. Almost as good as Khan. Same goes for the score. Not to mention it had Christopher Lloyd who makes the best Klingon. Loved Shatner. "I. Have had. Enough of you!" :sleepy:

They do something psychological, something that stays with you long after you've seen it. They aren't entertaining, if anything they're scarring.

Exactly. They aren't trying to get cheap gross thrills like horror movies these days that just try to have as much gore as possible.

you don't even know what you're talking about do you?

There have always been bad horror films that go for the cheap gross out scares, and gore, but if you believe that they show more gore now than ever before then you really don't have a clue.

The gore quotient today is lower than in the early 80's when they showed pretty much what they wanted to.

you don't even know what you're talking about do you?

There have always been bad horror films that go for the cheap gross out scares, and gore, but if you believe that they show more gore now than ever before then you really don't have a clue.

The gore quotient today is lower than in the early 80's when they showed pretty much what they wanted to.

Can you read Joey? Am I talking about the entire horror genre?

The Shining and The Exorcist are the only films that have ever scared me. It's a fucking scary film, Joey, especially to like an 8 year old.

you must have been a girly 8 year old then, cause the movie isn't scary at all, just badly told.

Yeah I was so girly to be scared of a wave of blood spilling out of an elevator or a rabbit blowing a butler. What the fuck is wrong with you Joey? Can you not see how this film is scary to little kids?

One of the guys at FSM has an avatar of the two guys, one in the dog/rabbit/whatever costume from The Shining, looking towards the camera. I haven't seen the movie before, but man, for some reason I just found that avatar really creepy and unsettling. I'm still not quite sure why.

Well I haven;t see The Shining ,but usually it's voted one of the scariest movies in online/magazine polls

I also haven't seen Rosemary's Baby

There is nothing scary about Rosemary's Baby either. Well maybe it was for Koray when he saw the baby's eyes.

Koray, I've been scared by lots of movies, some better, some worse than the Shining. I was scared by the book, but everything scary about the book is not included in Kubricks unfaithful adaption. Of course the Johnny Carson reference is lost on this entire generation. Bad Ham.

Saw the sequel to DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, its a better film in all ways. The score was loud but typically Zimmer like in that its unmemorable.

I thought A&D was totally forgettable and utter rubbish. Contender for Turkey of the Year IMO.

I thought A&D was totally forgettable and utter rubbish. Contender for Turkey of the Year IMO.

its a masterpiece compared to Terminator Salvation.

One of the guys at FSM has an avatar of the two guys, one in the dog/rabbit/whatever costume from The Shining, looking towards the camera. I haven't seen the movie before, but man, for some reason I just found that avatar really creepy and unsettling. I'm still not quite sure why.

shining_wierd.jpg

It is very creepy indeed.

It's better than Star Trek.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

First time I've seen 'em! :)