What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the guys at FSM has an avatar of the two guys, one in the dog/rabbit/whatever costume from The Shining, looking towards the camera. I haven't seen the movie before, but man, for some reason I just found that avatar really creepy and unsettling. I'm still not quite sure why.

shining_wierd.jpg

It is very creepy indeed.

He likes bears

Koray, Star Trek is a solid movie, of good quality.

You're comment on the upcoming Michael Mann movie may prove correct, but considering your taste in movies, I'm not so sure.

I'm hopeful for Drag Me to Hell, its looks great but you never know, so did Terminator Salvation

Koray, thats not the plot at all, jeez guy, get it right every once in awhile.

A loan office denies a loan extension to a gypsy already behind on her current loan, makes it pretty damned relevant in this day and age.

If we're looking for extraordinarily disturbing, The Exorcist can't even come close to Funny Games.

Truth.

I never found The Omen and The Exorcist scary. Both are quite good movies (Exorcist more so), but I find both quite overrated. The Shining is scary.

Angels and Demons:

Wow, this is the best film I've seen this year so far

I just came back from seeing it. It's amazing - I didn't expect much, but I didn't expect it to be worse than DVC. DVC wasn't good (though I loved McKellen's performance), but then it was based on a boring book. A&D, as a book, was filled with some hair-raising premises and really badly written, but it was also one of the most thrilling books I've ever read. And it probably could be filmed pretty much exactly like it was written. How they managed to turn it into such a quite laughably ridiculous film with pretty much no tension at all (by simply skipping the most exciting parts of the book, no less) I don't know. I will say it was entertaining, but not the way they intended. Score was ok as far as supporting the movie goes, didn't do anything special. DVC at least had the marvellous Chevaliers de Sangreal at the end, whereas A&D just endlessly repeated understated version of that theme. I don't have a problem with reusing themes in a sequel, it's the obvious option, but this felt like a rather pointless trivialisation of the theme.

Koray, thats not the plot at all, jeez guy, get it right every once in awhile.

A loan office denies a loan extension to a gypsy already behind on her current loan, makes it pretty damned relevant in this day and age.

How is that so drastically different? If she can't pay back her loan, she shouldn't have taken it in the first place. It's a stupid plot. Alison Lohman's character is just doing her job.

you really are just pitiful.

course you live off of others so you really don't have a clue

I just came back from seeing it. It's amazing - I didn't expect much, but I didn't expect it to be worse than DVC. DVC wasn't good (though I loved McKellen's performance), but then it was based on a boring book. A&D, as a book, was filled with some hair-raising premises and really badly written, but it was also one of the most thrilling books I've ever read. And it probably could be filmed pretty much exactly like it was written. How they managed to turn it into such a quite laughably ridiculous film with pretty much no tension at all (by simply skipping the most exciting parts of the book, no less) I don't know. I will say it was entertaining, but not the way they intended. Score was ok as far as supporting the movie goes, didn't do anything special. DVC at least had the marvellous Chevaliers de Sangreal at the end, whereas A&D just endlessly repeated understated version of that theme. I don't have a problem with reusing themes in a sequel, it's the obvious option, but this felt like a rather pointless trivialisation of the theme.

Neither do I, but I felt that the themes in DVC represented specific things. When Zimmer used them (multiple times I might add) in A&D it turned them into generic scary music, generic mystical music, generic "the plot revealed" music, etc. Kinda like how JW used the theme for the sorcerer's stone in CoS as generic ominous music. The difference there, of course, is that JW was working on 4 films at the time, while HZ was working on one. The use of Chevaliers was actually the only one I felt really worked, as I could accept that it was sort of a main theme of the series.

One of the guys at FSM has an avatar of the two guys, one in the dog/rabbit/whatever costume from The Shining, looking towards the camera. I haven't seen the movie before, but man, for some reason I just found that avatar really creepy and unsettling. I'm still not quite sure why.

It'll make some sense if you see the movie, sort of. :)

I thought A&D was totally forgettable and utter rubbish. Contender for Turkey of the Year IMO.

It's better than Star Trek.

I find that very hard to believe.

-Ben, who hasn't seen A&D, and isn't planning to.

Collateral

I'm glad I watched this last night, it has been awhile since I've seen it. Excellent film. And this proves that I wasn't just overreacting with the Minority Report DVD, this one had a great transfer. No complaints from me.

And this proves that I wasn't just overreacting with the Minority Report DVD, this one had a great transfer. No complaints from me.

Collateral was shot on digital so it would typically have a better transfer than film.

Star Trek III

Great film. Almost as good as Khan.

I think you took a little too much LDS.

It's good to see I can like a movie without being compared to someone on drugs.

Star Trek III

You don't understand the reference at all, do you?

Star Trek III

He's clearly not working on all thrusters.

On a serious note, "I like ST3 almost as much as Khan" is a completely different statement than "I think ST3 is almost as good as Khan".

On a serious note, "I like ST3 almost as much as Khan" is a completely different statement than "I think ST3 is almost as good as Khan".

Not really. Who here is a qualified, certifiable film critic?

The key word is "think." If he "thinks" ST3 is almost as good as Khan, who are we to judge his thoughts? They're his brains, swimming around inside of his head. And he certainly is allowed to think wrong and have opinions that you disagree with. But if you like evaluating the electrical impulses of other people, go ahead, but I'm no psychologist.

If he had said "ST3 IS almost as good as Khan," now your argument of weighing people's opinions holds a little more water, because that statement is profoundly different from the other two, which are much more similar to each other, as they are opinion-grade statements. One is a "like," the other is an "I think," which don't claim to be anything more substantial than opinions. A "blank is blank" statement almost comes across as fact, and should be the warning light for an argument.

Not really. Who here is a qualified, certifiable film critic?

The key word is "think." If he "thinks" ST3 is almost as good as Khan, who are we to judge his thoughts? They're his brains, swimming around inside of his head. And he certainly is allowed to think wrong and have opinions that you disagree with. But if you like evaluating the electrical impulses of other people, go ahead, but I'm no psychologist.

If he had said "ST3 IS almost as good as Khan," now your argument of weighing people's opinions holds a little more water, because that statement is profoundly different from the other two, which are much more similar to each other, as they are opinion-grade statements. One is a "like," the other is an "I think," which don't claim to be anything more substantial than opinions. A "blank is blank" statement almost comes across as fact, and should be the warning light for an argument.

He can "think" ST3 is almost as good all he wants. The fact is in the first post he made it sound like a statement describing quality, then in the next it was based on favouritism. I'm not combating his right to think, just that quality and attachment are two completely different things. As a lot of Trek fans will attest to.

I must have misread the post then, or missed something in the translation. That'll teach me to challenge the consensus of the masses here.

Star Trek III

No, I didn't/ I assume it's a reference to the movie.

But wow, I never realized there would be a debate about the exact meaning of my words. It's not Shakespeare. :S

Trek III is enjoyable, but has flat moments that bring it down (mainly anything with Robin Curtis). The score is closer to TWOK than the movie is.

Bad Boys II

For those who think Transformers is shit, I'd like to sit and watch this film with you. Personally I think it's great entertainment and Will Smith is funny.

The Brothers Bloom

Without a doubt a good film. Is it great? Maybe, I need to give it time to sink in. Great cast with equally great acting. I really liked the score, and will pick it up.

The Star Trek 2 vs Star Trek3 debate reminded of this:

Elaine: You never said you were fighting children.

Kramer: Well, it's not the size of the opponent, Elaine, it's, uh, the ferocity.

Elaine: This is what you used to build me up? This is where you got all that stupid katra stuff?

Kramer: No, no. That's from, uh, Star Trek III... The Search for Spock.

Elaine: Search... for Spock?!

Kramer: Yeah, I know Jerry will tell you that The Wrath of Khan is the better picture, but for me, I always...

Elaine: (pushes him) You doofus!

Night at the Museum 2: I have a small cameo in it,Neil's not the only one appearing in summer movies

Star Trek second viewing :still holds up

The Star Trek 2 vs Star Trek3 debate reminded of this:

Elaine: You never said you were fighting children.

Kramer: Well, it's not the size of the opponent, Elaine, it's, uh, the ferocity.

Elaine: This is what you used to build me up? This is where you got all that stupid katra stuff?

Kramer: No, no. That's from, uh, Star Trek III... The Search for Spock.

Elaine: Search... for Spock?!

Kramer: Yeah, I know Jerry will tell you that The Wrath of Khan is the better picture, but for me, I always...

Elaine: (pushes him) You doofus!

:P

Night at the Museum 2: I have a small cameo in it,Neil's not the only one appearing in summer movies

:P

Collateral

And this proves that I wasn't just overreacting with the Minority Report DVD, this one had a great transfer. No complaints from me.

Must be a Region 1 issue then. I've never seen Collateral on DVD so I can't judge the difference between the two.

Bad Boys II

For those who think Transformers is shit, I'd like to sit and watch this film with you. Personally I think it's great entertainment and Will Smith is funny.

This one is so mindlessly mean-spirited, rotten and casually inhuman...and it seems not even intentional, for christ's sake. In 100 years, it will be remembered as a signpost for our doomed decadence. :P

Wendy and Lucy (2008). Good, but I don't think it's nearly as impressive as Reichardt's previous film Old Joy (2006). Something about this film is too obvious and simple for me.

The Escapist (2008). I belive QMM recommended this a while back. I'll see just about anything with Brian Cox in it. I kinda liked it, but thought the end made very little sense, kinda nullified the rest of the movie without adding much. Some of the procedural stuff was nice enough.

Giant (1956). One of the 30 or so DVDs in my collection that I've either never seen or felt like I didn't get it the first time around. In this case, never seen it before (there's nothing not to get). George Stevens epic soap opera-ish tale of a wealthy Texas rancher (Rock Hudson) who marries a wealthy easterner (Elizabeth Taylor). Their marriage, their bigotry, their troubles...that kind of stuff. James Dean, in his last role, plays the main adversary, but doesn't come off as a particularly convincing character. He's quite good, and quite odd, though. The vistas are a plus, the out-moded and hypocritical view of racism is a major minus. Story doesn't really grab you, but for a 200 minute film, I didn't feel like I was stuck in a never ending agony (like with The English Patient, for example). Acting is quite good all around. Good make-up that convincingly ages the mid-20-ish actors, and the actors pull it off. Tiomkin's score didn't do much for me. Sounds fine, but I was constantly waiting to hear The Big Country. That score has ruined so many Copeland-esque western scores for me. It's simply too good to measure up to (IMO, not even The Magnificent Seven is as good).

re: Star Trek III. I found it to be boring, uninterestaining and entirely contrived. The only reason I might watch it again is to see the supposedly great sequence of stealing the Enterprise and blowing it up. I can't remember it, nor anything else in that film. Or maybe I'll just be reminded next time I listen to Romeo & Juliet.

If we're looking for extraordinarily disturbing, The Exorcist can't even come close to Funny Games.

Truth.

I never found The Omen and The Exorcist scary. Both are quite good movies (Exorcist more so), but I find both quite overrated. The Shining is scary.

I agree. The Omen is basically a comedy. Interesting, how both Donner's Omen and Superman are in many ways comedies, but the composers are the only ones who seem to really know it (and I'm not implying that they're talking down to the project...only understanding its inherent nature).

Star Trek III

No, I didn't/ I assume it's a reference to the movie.

In the sequel to Star Trek III, called Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, when Kirk and Spock end up in 1980's San Francisco, Spock starts babbling to a local hottie, and to cover for him, Kirk explains to her: "Oh, him? He's harmless. Part of the free speech movement at Berkeley in the sixties. I think he did a little too much LDS."

So it's an inside Star Trek joke.

Infernal Affairs - Liked it. Slick and stylish thriller. Didn't think it was as good as remake The Departed though.

Infernal Affairs II - Actually a prequel to the first movie. While the fingerprints of The Godfather are a little obvious in this one, and there were one or two silly moments, I think this is a near great film. One problem I had was keeping track of the two younger versions of the first film's leads as the two actors look nearly the same.

Infernal Affairs - Liked it. Slick and stylish thriller. Didn't think it was as good as remake The Departed though.

Infernal Affairs II - Actually a prequel to the first movie. While the fingerprints of The Godfather are a little obvious in this one, and there were one or two silly moments, I think this is a near great film. One problem I had was keeping track of the two younger versions of the first film's leads as the two actors look nearly the same.

Big fan of both of those movies, especially Tony Leung and Anthony Wong's performances.

I fail to see how The Omen is inherently a comedy.

If you are not an overly religious type of person, is there any other way to take it?

I don't think you have to be religious at all. I'm not . I think what scares people in those movies is a cultural part of you that you can't erase or deny.

Everyone knows monsters and ghosts don't exist ,that doesn't mean you won't be scared in a well made movie about those things

I never saw it. I heard it was about ghosts, and that kind of put me off it.

Really? I've heard some say that its a bit of a confusing mess as its events take place just before and after the first movie. But ghosts?

If you are not an overly religious type of person, is there any other way to take it?

I don't think you have to be religious at all. I'm not . I think what scares people in those movies is a cultural part of you that you can't erase or deny.

I'm entirely unreligious, but the "concept" of The Omen still fascinates me. Unfortunately, the basic story outline coupled with just the music seems far grander and inspiring than the actual movie. (Also, while I love the score as music, I always thought as Goldsmith scores go, it's only average in contributing to the movie).

Everyone knows monsters and ghosts don't exist ,that doesn't mean you won't be scared in a well made movie about those things

I agree with Mark. You either accept the genre for what it is and/or you like the movie or not.

I accept the genre for what I believe it is: essentially ridiculous. I like the movie based on that criterion. I don't believe that the filmmakers took it much more seriously than that (heck, Donner even said that he thinks the movie can be read entirely as a delusion on Peck's part). But they took the gothic fun quite seriously.

In general, I think that monsters or ghosts are scary in relation to how much a filmmaker invests in them. Donner and co. invested in the window dressing of this story, which is exactly why I find it to be a comedy- "Let's make a horror movie...but this devil stuff is just too absurd. So let's make it without the horror, just some good ol' campfire-tale-type scares!". I mean, that last shot tells the whole tale. It's one big, mischievous joke. People who don't really know or care about the Satanic BS, but dig the clothes and music.

Straw Dogs (1971). Whoa. I've bitten off more than I can chew. I know I was with it the entire way. Which probably says a great deal about me. I doubt I'll ever buy the whole concept of the film (Any allegories I could come up with struck me as rather banal)...but minute by minute, I was fascinated.

Just back from seeing a sneak preview of DRAG ME TO HELL. I won't spoil it but I have to say as being an immune horror fan, this is one of THE best horror comedy movies I've seen in years. Welcome back, Sam Raimi.....to where you really belong. Trademark Raimi camera tilting and close ups aplenty and EVIL DEAD fans will not be disappointed by the nods he gives to his famous E D trilogy in this movie. The evil gypsy bitch Mrs. Ganush (played brilliantly by Lorna Raver) is worth the price of admission alone. The false teeth scene is a real hoot. Sound effects are very, very loud and Christopher Young's main titles are heavily influenced by JAWS and Jerry's THE MUMMY. Go, enjoy, laugh and be scared. ****/*****

The Escapist (2008). I belive QMM recommended this a while back. I'll see just about anything with Brian Cox in it. I kinda liked it, but thought the end made very little sense, kinda nullified the rest of the movie without adding much. Some of the procedural stuff was nice enough.

I felt the same about the ending after I saw it. It's sort of their own variation of

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

, but I like everything before it quite a bit.