What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Pirates.

Somehow I ended up with the Criterion Armageddon DVD. I believe it came free with my DVD player, with a bunch of other worthless movies. Thankfully they didn't punch a hole in the UPC code or have it removed like they normally do for free DVD's. I sold it.

Armageddon opened in Cannes for God sake!

That's not saying much, didn't KOTCS do so as well?

It opened Cannes? That would mean that in 1998 they showed both Armageddon and Godzilla at the Palais du Cinema...and they wonder why Cannes ain't what it used to be.

KOCS is a far better film.

Easily. And while Armageddon may be fun when you're drunk - I'm positive there are many other movies that are at least as fun, and still hold up better when sober. Also, with alcohol, it's hard for any movie to beat Holy Grail's main titles.

And the Criterion Armageddon was the first DVD I ever bought.

And it's probably the only Criterion DVD in your possession. :blink:

The Kite Runner: A smoothly told, touching tale but one that rounds up its story a little too convenient. The main character's naivety towards the Taliban is the film's weakest part. All in all, it's a good film but with several flaws.

Syriana: I liked it more the first time. Why!!!

Alex

The Kite Runner: A smoothly told, touching tale but that rounds up its story a little too convenient. The main character's naivety towards the Taliban is the film's weakest part. All in all, it's a good film but with several flaws.

Didn't do it for me...I didn't find it all that touching. First half felt authentic. The last section of the film, however, was quite terrible (something exceptionally fakey about the film once it reaches America), and I had problems with a story that uses the sodomizing of a child to drum up some controversy. Marc Forster is really a tabula rasa of a director. He's only as good as his screenplay, and he hasn't got the best taste, IMO. Favorite thing about the film: Alberto Igelsias' score.

Re: Syriana. I think the only way to really appreciate it is to get lost in it, which a lot of people did the first time around. Upon seeing it a second time a few months back, I was struck by how unstructured it felt. It felt randomly put together, Gaghan spewing out a tiny bit of what he has to say on the subject, and not really being able to shape it into its own thing.

Bringing Out the Dead

It's called the poor-man's Taxi Driver but it's not bad. It's more a movie about style than anything else.

The Kite Runner: A smoothly told, touching tale but one that rounds up its story a little too convenient. The main character's naivety towards the Taliban is the film's weakest part. All in all, it's a good film but with several flaws.

Agreed, on the whole. I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. Not a perfect film, but pretty well done.

The Rock is better then Armageddon

I hate Dwayne Johnson ;)

Are you shure about thish?

Bringing Out the Dead

It's called the poor-man's Taxi Driver but it's not bad. It's more a movie about style than anything else.

How is it the poor-man's Taxi Driver if they're both directed by Scorsese? Personally I think it's great, and easily one of the few good performances by Nick Cage.

Personally I think it's great, and easily one of the few good performances by Nick Cage.

One of the few? He worked for the greatest directors of the previous century and you saw he's a bad actor? ;)

Alex

No, he really isn't. I know he can be annoying as hell at times, but when he's in the right part, sparks fly.

Frozen River (2008). Surprisingly strong drama. I thought I was going to be underwhelmed, like Wendy and Lucy...but this one's really quite good.

It's not that Cage is unconvincing, from what I've seen - it's just that he plays every character exactly the same way. Which is fine...but only while you've only seen one film with him in it.

He stars in a plethora of bad movies and he's terrible in them. One need only to watch The Wicker Man to know he is the worst actor ever. It's so bad it's downright laughable. I watch his movies to laugh at his stupidity.

He has a small handful of decent performances: Bringing Out The Dead, The Weather Man, Raising Arizona, Matchstick Men, and Adaptation.

First off, you can't call him the worst actor ever without having seen every actor who's ever acted. You can, however, call him your least favorite/most hated actor, which is just as opinionated but less stupid. Secondly, watch Leaving Las Vegas.

Does anyone remember what I said probably like a year ago? And I have seen Leaving Las Vegas.

"The thing about the future is, is that it changes when you look at it, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else."

- Nicolas Cage, Next

He worked for legends like Francis F. Coppola, David Lynch, The Coen Brothers, Ridley Scott.

Yes, he had his fair share of bad movies too but that doesn't mean he's a bad actor.

Good Nicholas Cage parts or films are:

Birdy

Rumble Fish

Moonstruck

Wild At Heart

Leaving Las Vegas

Adaptation

Matchstick Men

Raising Arizona

Worst actor ever? I need a little more than KS' word on it.

Actually, this reminds me of KS' melodramatic statements about the quality of DVD.

Alex

"The thing about the past is, is that it changes when you look at it, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else."

- Koray Savas, about Lost

Fixed that for ya. :lol:

He worked for legends like Francis F. Coppola, David Lynch, The Coen Brothers, Ridley Scott.

Yes, he had his fair share of bad movies too but that doesn't mean he's a bad actor.

Alex

Probably not, but for some reason they put him in yet another bad action movie. What he's even doing in those? He's good enough and/or credible in anything BUT action movies.

Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut. For me it is a version for all those (idiots?) who didn't get the original. It gives away too much, I think. BTW why some music is changed? It worked perfectly in the theatrical version.

Karol

Well, some are big fans of the National Treasure series. What do you say to them? That it's a shame Harrison Ford didn't do them?!

Alex

I like the National Treasure films. :lol:

I also liked Nicholas Cage in them, and The Rock.

He isn't the worst actor ever, that honour would go to Billy Ray Cyrus surely?! :lol:

You set me up! You knew it would come to this!

Karol

That's what you get for watching the Director's Cut of Donnie Darko! You only have yourself to blame.

Alex - preparing some popcorn to watch the slaughtering

I don't think Nick Cage is a bad actor. He's just got a particular acting style that makes many of his characters seem very similar across his movies. I think that makes him and his movies interesting. Even though I don't go out of my way to watch his movies.

Lord of War frustrated me. But only because I became invested in the film and its characters, so when everything went to hell in a handbasket, I guess the movie did what it was supposed to.

Which is worse: Nicholas Cage in the National Treasure movies, or Brendan Fraser in The Mummy trilogy? That shouldn't really be a toughie.

Brendan Fraser!

I never seen Lord Of War. It's from the guy from Gattaca so maybe I should. Then again, he also made S1m0ne.

Alex

Brendan Fraser!

Then again, he also made S1m0ne.

Alex

Isn't that this bad film with Al Pacino playing some artsy director who uses CGI actress in his movies?

Karol

Lord Of War is an awesome film

Speaking of Donnie Darko, has anybody seen the spinoff movie S. Darko?

I never seen Lord Of War. It's from the guy from Gattaca so maybe I should. Then again, he also made S1m0ne.

It might be my favorite movie from its year...I think it got a very difficult tone just about perfectly. It's very funny, but carries some real weight to it.