Upcoming Films

Quintus

Miss comic book movies? Don't worry: 2025 will be a big year for the genre. Which one of these are you looking forward to more? Me: Supes, Bats and perhaps Fantastic Four, even though I'm a little cautious after two crappy attempts.

Pode ser uma imagem de 6 pessoas, abutre, Superman e texto

I hope this movie doesn't settle for being just an action thriller of a few characters trying to escape political chaos, otherwise it'll become just one of those The Purge movies. I hope it leans into the complex political situation that can lead to such a situation. More political commentary, and not just scenes of the main characters seeing on TV politicians doing speeches while the chaos rages on around them.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I hope this movie doesn't settle for being just an action thriller of a few characters trying to escape political chaos, otherwise it'll become just one of those The Purge movies. I hope it leans into the complex political situation that can lead to such a situation. More political commentary, and not just scenes of the main characters seeing on TV politicians doing speeches while the chaos rages on around them.

Nah. It'll be "This party bad, that party good."

Florida, Texas, and California is a slightly more interesting mix, though. Might not be as brain dead as I'm expecting. But I bet it will be.

Those Sam Mendes Beatles movies look fascinating. What a cool, ambitious idea! Mendes is a director I like, and excited to see what comes of it.

Civil War, on the other hand, looks cynical and exploitive. I don't like mean-spirited movies, and this just looks like it wants to do nothing but play on people's fear and hysteria about what's going on in America right now. I almost hope it is brain dead, because otherwise it's a Purge movie that's trying to take itself seriously and wants us to do the same. Hard pass.

We'll have to wait a whole year to discover Bong Joon-ho next movie Mickey17, which will now open on Jan. 31 2025 :crymore:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mickey-17-movie-release-date-1235831136/

18 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Civil War, on the other hand, looks cynical and exploitive. I don't like mean-spirited movies, and this just looks like it wants to do nothing but play on people's fear and hysteria about what's going on in America right now. I almost hope it is brain dead, because otherwise it's a Purge movie that's trying to take itself seriously and wants us to do the same. Hard pass.

At first I thought it's going to be about the second civil war some people in the US are warning about ... but someone said it's more like The Purge? Okay ...

2 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

We'll have to wait a whole year to discover Bong Joon-ho next movie Mickey17, which will now open on Jan. 31 2025 :crymore:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mickey-17-movie-release-date-1235831136/

Lame.

The release date puts the movie outside of the next Oscar race, which means that despite having the director of Parasite Warners doesn't think this would have much chance of winning some awards.

Unless they release it on a few selected cities and then open nationwide in January, like they did with American Sniper which, despite having gone wide in January of 2015, its platform release in last few days of 2014 was enough to make it the biggest movie at the box office of 2014... lol. But this doesn't seem likely.

Worst of all, despite all the Oscar movies that go wide in January, the month is mostly known as a dumping ground for crappy horror/action stuff. 

So, judging by that, it's likely that we won't have a new sci-fi classic... :(

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The release date puts the movie outside of the next Oscar race, which means that despite having the director of Parasite Warners doesn't think this would have much chance of winning some awards.

Unless they release it on a few selected cities and then open nationwide in January, like they did with American Sniper which, despite having gone wide in January of 2015, its platform release in last few days of 2014 was enough to make it the biggest movie at the box office of 2014... lol. But this doesn't seem likely.

Worst of all, despite all the Oscar movies that go wide in January, the month is mostly known as a dumping ground for crappy horror/action stuff. 

So, judging by that, it's likely that we won't have a new sci-fi classic... :(

I think that they don't want it to race against Mufasa at the box office so they pushed it back not to far to keep it in the Oscar's race

24 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I think that they don't want it to race against Mufasa at the box office so they pushed it back not to far to keep it in the Oscar's race

But this is the thing, the movie needs to open in at least a few cinemas before December 31st to qualify for the following year's Oscars. By opening the movie in Jan 31st 2025, the movie is outside of the 2025 Oscar race. So this combined with the delays may indicate that this is a problematic production in which WB doesn't seem to put that much faith. 

It is looking like it'll be the next Transcendence.

16 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Well, we are talking about Warners here, which is striving valiantly for the award for most ineptly-run studio in Hollywood. Maybe we shouldn’t read too much into this decision.

Indeed. These guys are morons.

Looks like a crossover between Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad (the 2016 version) and Mad Max Fury Road. Even the trailer follows the James Gunn School of Filmmaking. And I imagine a huge chunk of the budget was spent with digital de-aging for Cate Blanchett.

But, from the producer of Uncharted and Venom? Really? That is enough to make me not buy a movie ticket.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But this is the thing, the movie needs to open in at least a few cinemas before December 31st to qualify for the following year's Oscars. By opening the movie in Jan 31st 2025, the movie is outside of the 2025 Oscar race.

They can still release it in selected theaters before Dec 31st and then worldwide, like you mentionned above

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I mean that what I would do, plus it gives you more visibility right before the Oscar vote

On 21/02/2024 at 5:58 PM, Edmilson said:

Looks like a crossover between Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad (the 2016 version) and Mad Max Fury Road. Even the trailer follows the James Gunn School of Filmmaking. And I imagine a huge chunk of the budget was spent with digital de-aging for Cate Blanchett.

But, from the producer of Uncharted and Venom? Really? That is enough to make me not buy a movie ticket.

Overall, the track record of videogame movies isn't too good.  

On 05/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

On 09/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Jay said:

On 22/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, Jay said:

On 06/01/2023 at 12:12 PM, Jay said:

“We’ve been in Prague filming for four months,” de Armas said. “We still have one more month to go. And I’m in pain. You know, my body, my back, everything hurts. I’m complaining, I’m sore, I’m bruised. Bond was fifteen minutes. This is a whole movie, another level.”

In addition, The Gray Man star also went to tease her fight sequences with franchise star Keanu Reeves, praising the John Wick star for his professionalism and dedication, which helped her pushed through with their difficult and crazy stunts.

She continued, “Keanu and I were rehearsing our very difficult stunt scene, and this man is just rolling and throwing me and doing crazy stunts. And I’m like — I can’t complain anymore. Because he is doing it! He truly is the best.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1259091-ballerina-ana-de-armas-keanu-reeves-fight

On 04/04/2023 at 2:21 PM, Jay said:

Lionsgate‘s John Wick spinoff Ballerina starring Ana de Armas will be delayed a year from June 7, 2024 to June 6, 2025. The move comes as John Wick architect Chad Stahelski has inked a new deal with Lionsgate to oversee the franchise. He’s working with Ballerina director Len Wiseman on additional action sequences for the movie, to amp it up even more than it is.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/ballerina-john-wick-spinoff-the-crow-release-date-1235833533/

His first four films went Silvestri -> Powell -> Silvestri -> Powell, so it's Alan's turn :)

Powell already said that Thelma The Unicorn and That Christmas are his only two scores this year, right?

If Sanders invited Powell, he probably alleged he's too busy with Thelma the Unicorn, That Christmas and the HTTYD remake. But Silvestri seems to be available... He doesn't have any big projects upcoming aside from the newest Zemeckis CGI stuff. 

But to be honest I guess either Sanders and/or the studio wanted someone new and Bowers is on the rise over the past few years.

Oh well, let's just hope Bowers will do a good job with animation. But let's be real, every time someone else than Powell / Sener is announced for animation I'm disappointed 😆

1 minute ago, Luka said:

every time someone else than Powell / Sener is announced for animation I'm disappointed 😆

Even when John Williams was announced as the composer for Tintin?

Just now, Jay said:

Oh actually exceptions are Williams of course, and maybe James Newton Howard (although recently I was disappointed in what he produced).

Yep. I guess the prospect of three animated Powell scores instead of two this year was too good to be true :lol:

Just now, Jay said:

That was 13 years ago (!) and it never happened again, and I think he was talking in more recent years.

But personally, announcing either John Williams or Powell in anything is good news for me.

1 minute ago, A24 said:

Is Tintin a must-have score? I don't think I ever listened to it. 

Well, yes, but actually no.

6 hours ago, A24 said:

It's one of Williams's best of this millennium.

10 hours ago, A24 said:

It's not on the same level as 'Memoirs of a Geisha', 'War Horse', Azkaban, 'Indy 4', or some of the Star Wars composed in the 21st century, but it's definitely on par with 'The Book Thief', 'War of the Worlds' and 'Munich'.

the latest film from director Paul Thomas Anderson [is slated for] Aug. 8, 2025. The movie, labeled by Warner Bros. as “An Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Event Film,” will be released in Imax. Little is known about the project, though it features the sprawling cast of Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn, Regina Hall, Teyana Taylor and Alana Haim. Production on Anderson’s latest is underway in California, where nearly all of the filmmaker’s movies are set.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-2-release-date-delayed-1235939719/

Excluding the pandemic years of 2020 and 2021, this will be the first non-Marvel blockbuster to open in the first weekend of May* since Mission: Impossible 3 in 2006. Since the turn of the millenium, the only years where the big movie opening in early May wasn't a Marvel movie were 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2020, 2021 and now 2024.

*Yeah, I know that technically Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame opened in late April, but you get the idea.

It's crazy that the MCU only has one film releasing this entire calendar year.  How the mighty have fallen

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's crazy that the MCU only has one film releasing this entire calendar year.  How the mighty have fallen

Not counting 2020, this will be the first year with a single MCU movie since 2012, with The Avengers. Ever since they began 16 years ago, the only years with just one MCU movie were 2010 (Iron Man 2), 2012 (The Avengers) and now 2024 (DP & W). In 2009 and 2020 there were no new MCU movies.

So since the first Iron Man they had:

• 12 years of two or more movies (2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023);
  • 3 years of just one movie (2010, 2012, 2024);
  • 2 years of no movies at all (2009, 2020);

A crazy run! No wonder they got tired