Upcoming Films

Quintus

Insider who viewed PTA's Inherent Vice watched the movie and spills the beans:

Mix together The Big Lebowski and [Robert] Altman's The Long Goodbye and turn it into a two-and-a-half hour PT Anderson epic and you're getting close to the awesome experience of Inherent Vice. Even Joaquin Phoenix's performance has echoes of '70s Elliott Gould with a touch of The Dude. But don't get me wrong, the film is its own animal. A drug-fueled detective story filled with great psychedelic music and beautiful, grainy cinematography. It's both hilarious and confounding at times. But Anderson does an incredible job of making the incredibly complex plot both comprehensible and entertaining. Even though he's apparently said he's still tinkering, it felt like a finished film and will definitely go down as one of my favorites of his.

I have a bad feeling about this one:

The first teaser was great though. And the visuals look quite good. I'm still hopeful.

Where do you see greatness, Koray? I heard or saw nothing noteworthy. In fact, I was already bored during the trailer. Are you just happy to see apes? What is it?

The original 1968 film was really cool because it was so heavy on satire. You know, it almost didn't have work an a literal level. Those new movies try to treat is as a more serious s-f with compelling drama. And that's where they are asking for trouble.

Karol

Yes, but the first film of the reboot had something atmospheric and some kind of depth to it. It's only towards the end that it became dull. The sequel seems to spread out that ending over two hours.

Where do you see greatness, Koray? I heard or saw nothing noteworthy. In fact, I was already bored during the trailer. Are you just happy to see apes? What is it?

I've been a Planet Of The Apes fan ever since I saw the original as a kid. If they can find a way to keep making them I'll be happy, though it seems they're trying to make these recent ones lead into the first film, which gives them a finite amount of storytelling options. Simply looks like good action to me.

OK, finally watched the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer. I think it looks really silly. Seems like the kind of movie if I saw in the theater, I'd get restless halfway through and wish I was somewhere else. Might check it out at home, maybe. I don't think it will be a big hit.

Special effects look good though, and I'm very curious to hear the score!

I've been a Planet Of The Apes fan ever since I saw the original as a kid. If they can find a way to keep making them I'll be happy

You mean however bad they are, at least they deal with apes?

I've been a Planet Of The Apes fan ever since I saw the original as a kid. If they can find a way to keep making them I'll be happy

You mean however bad they are, at least they deal with apes?

Well quality is obviously preferred, but I even enjoyed the worst of the Apes films. I thought Rise Of... was the best one since Beneath...

Finally saw this. I'm glad Fincher has a new movie coming out.... but this looks kinda boring and cliched/predictable. I would have much much MUCH preferred Fincher was able to continue the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, cause I loved that film.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was pretty lightweight and safe too. I mean, you see it and you immediately move on. It quickly vaporizes into thin air. But yeah, this Gone Girl is quite bewildering. I prefer it when Fincher is a little more provocative and risqué. We don't need another Ron Howard.

Alex

I saw the Swedish version first and it made an immediate impression on me. After I saw the Fincher version I certainly thought it was a good film, but it soon decayed somewhere in the back of my mind.

Never seen the originals. Figured I'd check them out after Fincher finished his trilogy, but I guess that dream is fully dead by now.

I used to watch tons of French films. Francois Ozon is awesome! Haven't seen as many lately.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was pretty lightweight and safe too. I mean, you see it and you immediately move on. It quickly vaporizes into thin air.

Both versions suffer from verbatim translations of a cheesy-if-enjoyable book without having any idea why they became movies in the first place. Do people really need to see a table of contents pedantically drawn out over 2,5 hours?

How about the great Dutch cinema?

And what other film of Ozon have you seen besides Swimming Pool?

I've seen every film he's made up through 5x2. (including the short film collection x2000)

And Swimming Pool wasn't even my first of his - Under The Sand was. After that I quickly gobbled up everything he had done at the time. 8 Women is my favorite

Not sure if I've seen any Dutch films.

Never seen it

In fact, the only Verhoeven films I've seen are Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers. Love the films, love the scores.

Oh, and I saw The Hollow man when it was in theaters, but I don't really remember it.

Yea, sorry about that. I typed out the rest of that longer post this morning, before Stif replied, then when I got to work it wasn't there. Weird. So I added it back in, even though Stif had now replied.

Not sure if I've seen any Dutch films.

You need to see The Vanishing, and not the shitty US remake.

The Fourth Man is a good Verhoeven as well, and very similar to Basic Instinct in a lot of ways. I'd definitely recommend it.

Looks like the usual ridiculous but highly entertaining Luc Besson production.

Unfortunately there are also ridiculous and unentertaining Luc Besson productions like The Messenger. Admittedly that one was a little out of his wheelhouse.