Upcoming Films

Quintus

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen Morning Glory yet? Ford is supposed to be hilarious in it. I so must see that movie.

I saw it last night. I liked it and even though Ford's voice is pretty terrible, he's not bad in it and actually has one of the funniest lines in the movie.

So long as Danny Elfman isn't anywhere near it I'm relatively happy.

Actually I think this is a project that would have been perfect for Elfman.

I'm not sure where it is showing, but "Peeping Tom" is having a limited 50th anniversary re-release. I urge all students of fine cinema to see this film.

Also, in December, my local arts cinema (whatever that means) is showing the glorious "Fanny And Alexander". Alas,it is not, I fear, the full 5hr. version, but the 3hr. version. Still worth seeing, though.

Not sure if someone already posted a link but I saw the trailer from The Green Lantern. I'm unticking the box on my list. Actually, it was never on my list.

Alex

A fantasy saga based on the major events and storylines from Green Lantern and the rest of the DC universe should be awesome. But I don't know if it will. And I totally doubt Hollywood, the way it works, can pull it off.

I don't know Blake Lively, but other than the fact that she looks a lot like her character is supposed to look, she seems off. Ryan Reynolds looks spot on. Mark Strong as Sinestro is one of the best things ever in a DC film. I hope they manage to scare the shit out of the audience with Parallax and that they don't screw up the the actual little things that make Hector Hammond a good character.

Thanks for the head up, guys, but I'll stick with "Manhattan".

Actually, on my most recent viewing of both films, I enjoyed the Ramis film more. Its greatness sneaks up on you.

Not sure if someone already posted a link but I saw the trailer from The Green Lantern. I'm unticking the box on my list. Actually, it was never on my list.

Alex

It may be the main lead or something, but it more felt like a MTV parody than anything else. Not that I was ever interested in this film.

Karol

At least The Green Lantern won't be in theaters at the same time as The Green Hornet. People might get confused or think they're related by the one-word difference which might spell sequel.

Neither interests me.

I think that's a problem with DC Comics. Beyond Superman, Batman, and maybe Wonder Woman if you get a hottie, what other big-name comic stars do they really have that the public really wants to pay to see headlining a movie?

Maybe the Flash. But I agree, there aren't that many, but with the right kind of aproach, some movies can be sucessful. The Hulk was by far more well known than Iron Man, for example, and look out that turned out at the box office (though I adore Ang Lee's Hulk).

THis trailer for Green Lantern does look cheesy and plastic, but I've always loved the universe of the comics, so I hope (though I don't expect) this to turn out okay

I would love a Flash movie in the style of Se7en but with superpowers. With an Unbreakablevibe as well!

The DC Universe is great. That a lot of people don't know the characters shouldn't be a problem to the films themselves. For example, films that weren't even based on previous material like books or comics have been succesful in the past. They just have to make good films. (I would prefer them to be more than good).

I just hope they don't follow the Marvel formula and make a JLA film. Give us a Crisis adaptation, for example! Bold stuff!

Thanks for the head up, guys, but I'll stick with "Manhattan".

Actually, on my most recent viewing of both films, I enjoyed the Ramis film more. Its greatness sneaks up on you.

To be fair to those who like "Groundhog Day", it has its fans, but I was never won over Bill Murray's droll "persona" (if that's what you can call it).

His ham-fisted attempt at being a "serious" actor, in "Razor's Edge" was embarrassing, and I thought that "Ghostbusters" was a total waste of time, money, and effort.

His more recent efforts, such as "Lost In Translation", "Broken Flowers", and "The Royal Tenanbaums" (a real gem of a movie) have revealed a late-flowering dramatic talent. Long may it continue.

I can't remember much of Groundhog's Day but it would be preposterous to think that Harold Ramis is better than Woody Allen's best film. One can prefer it (like I'm sure some already prefer the trailer of The Green Lantern over Manhattan too) but that doesn't make it better.

Alex

Didn't Debra Winger once call Harold Ramis a "f***ing pig"? Hee, hee, hee.

Let's not talk about his private life, Richard. This is a decent board for decent people.

Next up: Will Smith cast as Sully.

The casting is horrible which is a shame, since this had every chance of being good, with Fillion in the lead role. I'm actually a bit gutted for him, since he really wanted the part.