Upcoming Films

Quintus

I wasn't too crazy about the first movie but this trailer looked pretty good. Probably that's because of Mickey.

Alex

you've got to be kidding, that looks like the biggest piece of shit of all time and Mickey Rourke is just the nastiest looking human wretch in existence.

I wasn't too crazy about the first movie but this trailer looked pretty good. Probably that's because of Mickey.

Alex

you've got to be kidding, that looks like the biggest piece of shit of all time and Mickey Rourke is just the nastiest looking human wretch in existence.

Looks great to me, although I really wish they'd been able to get Emily Blunt for Black Widow.

... and Mickey Rourke is just the nastiest looking human wretch in existence.

I don't care how he looks. He's a fine actor. I think he will provide a face and name to evil in Iron Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey's character becomes the villain of the year.

Alex

... and Mickey Rourke is just the nastiest looking human wretch in existence.

I don't care how he looks. He's a fine actor. I think he will provide a face and name to evil in Iron Man 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey's character becomes the villain of the year.

Alex

Frankly, I had no idea Rourke could do as good an accent as it sounds like he's doing from the trailer. He's one of those guys I'd always heard of, but had largely been oblivious to until The Wrestler. And he's so good in that that I don't know where the performance ends and real life begins.

Probably won't be as good in the comic-book movie, but yeah, I think he may prove to be a popular baddie.

Hopefully, Sam Rockwell will have some juicy bits, too. Speaking of Rockwell, I still need to see Moon...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh lord, when will the vampire and zombie madness end?????

I saw a book the other day that had a cover that made me stop and look, it was a Star Wars meets Zombie style story.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Troopers-Joe-Schreiber/dp/0345509625/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267664572&sr=1-15

Yeah, zombies and vampires are both pretty played out. They're not going anywhere, though; there's already a movie of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" on the way, and now there's this Abraham Lincoln shite.

My issue with this specific movie is that (A) Tim Burton's talent seems to have vanished, (B) the other dude made Wanted, a true pile of crap, and © the idea of Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires is funny as a two-paragraph description, but that's about all. Past that, I suspect, it's just randomness divorced from any semblance of meaning. Or that's my assumption; I haven't actually read the book, so maybe I'm flat wrong. After all, I did love Bubba Ho-Tep, so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss.

BB did you ever see the Crazies yet? It's not a zombie film but that what everyone is lumping it in.

It'd be nice to know how those numbers compare to cost, i.e. net take, not just gross. One can drill down for that, but it's not in the table. That would paint a much bleaker picture of these...um, pictures' gross failures.

Zombie movies tend to do poorly at the box office, but take on a life of their own as cult classics on video and late night cable TV.

Yes, well, for example John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars cost $28 million but grossed worldwide $14,010,832. Kinda hard to convince the studio that the cult market was justified.

I love Zombies, but even I'm sick of them. Especially the fast ones. Joey said the The Crazies aren't zombies, but they are really.

And enough with the vampire movies already.

I love Zombies, but even I'm sick of them. Especially the fast ones. Joey said the The Crazies aren't zombies, but they are really.

But they aren't really. They're still intelligent, not some lumbering hive mind. Just really aggressive.

And enough with the vampire movies already.

no they are not. They are crazy people who are maniacal but are in no way dead, or hungry for flesh. They are not slow and they are not mindless.

New TRON trailer looks fantastic

Daft Punk music is great as well.

Yeah, looks cool. I like how they aren't shying away from the look of the original; it definitely looks like a Tron movie.

The Babylon 5 fan in me was pretty thrilled with how much screen time Bruce Boxleitner got.

Yeah, looks cool. I like how they aren't shying away from the look of the original; it definitely looks like a Tron movie.

The Babylon 5 fan in me was pretty thrilled with how much screen time Bruce Boxleitner got.

There is actually a big difference between the new and the old Tron. In the new film, it's only a 'look'.

New Robin Hood trailer is out (The yahoo link I saw is very long and, besides, yahoo's got a terrible player- should be on youtube). Better than the last one. Looks like a better looking Gladiator, but equally dour. I hope that is even a little misleading, and that there will be a modicum of fun to be had.

Saw the trailer for Tron...looked kinda terrible to me. But, then again, I've never seen the original. The main actor's performance in the trailer was terrible.

There is actually a big difference between the new and the old Tron. In the new film, it's only a 'look'.

Just saw the new TRON trailer. I am now, officially, chopming at the bit for this film!!!! I've been a fan of TRON ever since I saw it (several times) in 1982. The Daft Punk score is gonna rock!

"Clash..." trailer looks o.k., and not a Bobo in sight!

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer for Legend Of The Guardians

I must say, it looks pretty damn impressive. Could Zack Snyder have found his calling? Well, his next movie's tagline is "Alice In Wonderland with machine guns" so my guess is no. Don't know how this happened, but I'll be seeing it.

Just saw the new TRON trailer. I am now, officially, chopming at the bit for this film!!!! I've been a fan of TRON ever since I saw it (several times) in 1982. The Daft Punk score is gonna rock!

"Clash..." trailer looks o.k., and not a Bobo in sight!

What I liked about the first TRON and what made it somewhat different is that there were different physical laws in computer world. Transport, for instance, was linear. The world wasn't just a look. Judging from the trailer, the characters move around just like they would in the real world. They behave like they would in any setting. So, I'm asking myself, what's the point? Why get rid of the things that made the original concept special?

Trailer for Legend Of The Guardians

I must say, it looks pretty damn impressive. Could Zack Snyder have found his calling? Well, his next movie's tagline is "Alice In Wonderland with machine guns" so my guess is no. Don't know how this happened, but I'll be seeing it.

Wow, what a letdown! Zack Snyder went too far with his previous film and now he has to show Hollywood he can be a good boy. It's a strategic move which probably will enable him to fund his more interesting projects. But for right now, this is sad news.

Alex

14 clips from the Iron Man 2 score are up at ironmanmovie.marvel.com

I wasn't crazy about the electric guitar in the first score and it doesn't impress me much in this one either. Nothing's grabbing me.

I saw a few trailers:

Iron Man 2. I'm not sure if Mickey Rourke can pull it off. I hope so,because he could sink the movie. Maybe because,as Bryant said,he was so convincing in The Wrestler that I can't imagine him in another role now

Robin Hood .The trailer looks (and sounds) like crap. Nothing in there made me want to see the film

Kick Ass. I predict this is going to be a huge hit.The reviews so far are very positive.

I think it will be very popular. It's hugely problematic, but also very entertaining. Don't know why it came out here a full two weeks before the US.

Saw the teaser for Megamind...I'm scared of it being a borefest like Monsters vs. Aliens, but it sounds promising. Dreamworks has proven that they can do terrific work with high-concept material...though they generally settle for much less.

Robin Hood is a strange case: the trailer actually made me look forward to the production design. I think there's a chance that Ridley might create a good mood with this one.

Jonah Hex be having some issues

With just barely 60 days left before Warner Bros.’ mega-budget, supernatural Western Jonah Hex is scheduled to arrive in theaters, both fans and Hollywood insiders alike are baffled as to why the troubled Josh Brolin and Megan Fox film still lacks a movie trailer. Considering that Warners started hyping its 2007 epic 300 (like Hex, also based on a graphic novel) fifteen months before it opened, the absence of a Hex trailer at this point is the movie equivalent to spending $150,000 on your wedding, but then waiting to mail out invitations until the weekend before.

A studio spokesman insists a trailer will finally make its debut in front of New Line's A Nightmare on Elm Street, which opens April 30, and that the movie will open as scheduled on June 18. And director Jimmy Hayward (Horton Hears a Who!) texted Vulture to say, "Trailer and film are looking great!" And yet, with this movie's erratic history of creative differences and reshoots, it's hard not to wonder … especially after we talked to Brent Hinds, the guitarist and singer of the heavy-metal band Mastodon, which has been recording and rerecording the film's soundtrack since last fall. "What I’ve seen so far doesn’t seem to be finished to me," says Hinds, adding, "I’d heard a little rumor: 'This shit ain’t gonna be ready.' But then again, Warner Bros. is such a fucking bastard. They’re like, 'The shit comes out on the day it’s supposed to.' But what do I know? I’m just the dude to whom they’re like, ‘Hey, play some crazy fuckin’ music!'"

But before Hinds elaborates, let's run through a brief history of the film. The original directors, Crank's Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, left the film in November 2008, citing "creative differences." Around that time, MTV News asked Brolin about the film, and he said, "When I first read it I thought, oh my God it’s awful! And then I had a moment a week later and I thought why is it awful? Maybe the thing to do is to do the most awful movie I can find." Hayward was hired on to make his live-action debut, but Warner Bros. ended up less than happy with the first cut; the studio ordered reshoots that began in late January and continued into mid-February, with Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend) brought in to serve as Hayward's directing "consultant."

Now, back to the age of Mastodon: The band had been brought in by Hayward to collaborate on the score with Horton's composer John Powell back in September 2009. However, the reshoots and subsequent reediting meant Powell, who was already booked for Tom Cruise's Knight and Day and Doug Liman's Valerie Plame pic Fair Game, had to leave. "There was no animosity," says Hinds. "He was just like, 'If you haven’t figured out what you’re doing cinematically, I gotta go.'"

In his place, composer Marco Beltrami (Repo Men) was hired to work with Mastodon. (A spokesman for Warner Records said the label would not comment on the soundtrack nor Mastodon’s role in it.) “All of a sudden, there’s this new guy, who went in a different direction," continues Hinds, who by that point was on a world tour with the band. "And there was no way he could connect with me: They brought all the new scenes to us, but I was on tour this entire time, so I had no time to preconceive what I wanted the movie to sound like. Being so busy ... it's hard to be creative when you're going through the same motions every day [onstage]."

Hinds says that Beltrami wanted a more restrained, subtle approach than the vigorous shredding Mastodon recorded for Hex in L.A. last fall. "I totally had to go back and start over again," says Hinds, reached in Atlanta as he prepped for the band’s 37-date spring tour of North America, which begins in Charleston, South Carolina, tonight. "We’re still working on it. We wrapped a little of it today; we’re doing a little more tomorrow. Tomorrow is enough for me. I was finished months ago. We had such short notice to work on the thing."

Though constant last-minute change isn't a new phenomenon in Hollywood, Hinds, a first-time movie composer, has found the process frustrating. "I blew my wad over there," he says of the time Mastodon spent recording and composing in L.A. last fall. "It was some of the best shit I’ve ever written in my life. Now I’m just trying to finish with as much patience as possible."

The trailer will be a big sign as to whether this movie will be ready for June. Some 20 to 30 percent of a film’s total awareness in the marketplace comes from its trailer. As such, says one marketing chief at a rival studio, if Warners doesn’t have one ready to roll in front of Elm Street come April 30, it means they'll surely have to postpone, since there’s no other Warner Bros. film in the marketplace before June 18 that could be used to expose Hex to the same young demographic. And even if they do get the trailer out on time, says another marketing executive, "They'll have to spend a fortune on TV to make up for the [advertising] delays." Quick, Mastodon, get shredding!

It'll never happen but I'd love to hear what Powell came up with with Mastodon.

Does anybody know why they're making a sequel to The Wizard of Oz set in the present day? I saw a clip of Lance Henriksen as Uncle Henry, using a contemporary touchtone phone on a wall, being attacked by a cat, and my stomach sank.