Upcoming Films

Quintus

Zack Snyder is good news but too bad it's Cameron and not Ridley Scott.

Just want to add that never in Snyder's wildest, wettest dreams, will he ever be as good as Cameron.

Quint is right. I've seen two films be Snyder and he doesn't seem to know when to use something and when not to. He hardly ever makes action feel real and well done, like Cameron.

Alex will argue that action sequences are of only minor importance, to him. (I personally believe there is much more to Cameron than action finesse, btw.)

It was supposed to be released last year ROTFLMAO

I estimate a 2011-2012 release. Malick usually takes like 4 years to edit. I was really looking forward to the JNH score, but now Desplat is on the film. Hopefully he stays on because I think he also could do something really fantastic.

I've seen two films be Snyder and he doesn't seem to know when to use something and when not to feel real and well done, like Cameron.

Snyder's action sequences are very interesting to me. Filmmaking doesn't have to be about 'real'. Znyder does something 'different' with action sequences and which strikes me as mesmeric. It's the ultra-violence combined with precise and highly stylized execution. And yet, the violence is disturbing, like in the first action scene of Watchmen. The last time violence disturbed me in a similar way was in Alien when Ash manhandles Ripley. There is something downright nasty about it. Anyone who says Snyder's action scenes are not well done doesn't have a clue. Perhaps it's simply not your cup of tea but that's another thing. Anyway, "action scenes" are not the reason why I'm happy that Znyder is involved. It's Heavy Metal, remember? When I think of the Metal Hurlant magazine, the first names I think of are Ridley Scott (the young Ridley Scott, that is, not the one we know of Gladiator/KOH/Robin Hood) and Zack Snyder, not James Cameron.

But talking about Cameron. Where are the good action scenes in Avatar?! There isn't a single shot, camera angle, bit of choreography or set piece that I would call imaginative. Where was the Cameron of the Terminator films?

Alex

I don't know... I've been asking the same since I saw that film.

Don't get me wrong. Snyder's direction is amazing at times in Watchmen, but I find it great in one scene, and next scene I don't like it, and so on.

And yes, we need the old Ridley Scott back.

Where was the Cameron of the Terminator films?

I'm not getting into another Avatar debate (besides the fact it's fading from my mind, fast), but add to the Terminator above: Aliens, Titanic and even True Lies. Every one of those movies features at least one barnstorming action sequence.

Cameron wipes the floor with Snyder, ESPECIALLY in the action department. This is so true it ain't even funny, and I'm a fan of Snyder.

• 2 weeks later...

Cameron wipes the floor with Snyder, ESPECIALLY in the action department.

That's not much of an argument.

Really, two different styles. Like I said in my previous post, I like the artistic expression that Snyder gives to his movies. This to me makes all the difference. Cameron, on the other hand, strikes me as common technician. Except for The Terminator films (which are based on the terror of the unstoppable threat and which I find interesting), I generally don't like his action scenes. I don't find them particularly intriguing or exiting. It's not really Cameron's fault. I'm just not into that kind of cinema.

Alex

Aside from some dodgy sfx (the wave near the end) it looks fantastic from a potential-music point of view.

Go Arnold!

No kidding. I didn't realize how 'sea-faring' this movie was going to be.

The stage is set for a great fantasy swashbuckler.

Also, it's interesting to note that the "Music by" line of Wikipedia lists David Arnold and Harry Gregson-Williams (Themes).

I know you can't put too much stock in it, but I've been wondering about that since Arnold was announced.

I'm torn on it. As much as I'd like to see a return of previous themes, the second film's score suffered from too much recycling.

If Arnold can keep it fresh then I'd love for the series to maintain some thematic continuity.

Trailer for Voyage Of The Dawn Treader

I'm glad Disney learned their lesson and are releasing this in Winter. They screwed up with the previous film by making it a Summer release. Looks good by this series' standards.

It does look good. It's got a ship and lots of water pouring out of a painting (whahahaha!), so how bad can it be?

And David Arnold providing the score for a partly seafaring fantasy adventure movie? BRING IT ON!

BTW: If I recall, Disney is no longer involved in the Narnia movies.

Yea Disney dropped the Narnia movies, this one's Fox now

Oh. Well, the same thing applies.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of David Arnold, while the next Bond film is on hold due to MGM's financial problems, a remake of Goldeneye 007 for N64 is coming to Wii. Instead of Pierce Brosnan, it will feature Daniel Craig, Judi Dench and a score by David Arnold. I'm very excited!

... and a score by David Arnold. I'm very excited!

Maybe Goldeneye will get a decent soundtrack this time.

It has to better just by being composed. Arnold could orchestrate it entirely for Kazoos and it would be better.

I quite enjoyed the score to Goldeneye on the N64 - it was much better than Serra's score to the film.

I wonder if Arnold will incorporate any of the music from it in his new score.

I quite enjoyed the score to Goldeneye on the N64 - it was much better than Serra's score to the film.

I'd say it's on par with Serra's score, not in terms of quality obviously, but in terms of awesomeness and appropriateness. It's the perfect mock/homage score, incorporating a lot of the little motifs and -isms that Serra always uses.

This new game is going to be the equivalent of the Quantum Of Solace game, which I described as GoldenEye meets Call Of Duty.

The Fifth Element score is perfect for the film, and mostly enjoyable to listen to on CD.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Eric Serra outside of Goldeneye and The Fifth Element

Well, you've heard GoldenEye so that means you're familiar with Leon as well. ;)

Inception:

An excerpt from the 3.5/4 star review by Peter Travers:

The mind-blowing movie event of the summer arrives just in time to hold back the flow of Hollywood sputum that’s been sliming the multiplex. ‘Inception’…will be called many things, starting with James Bond Meets ‘The Matrix.’ You can feel the vibe of Ridley Scott’s ‘Blade Runner’ in it, and Nolan’s own ‘Memento’ and ‘The Dark Knight.’ But ‘Inception’ glows with a blue-flame intensity all its own. Nolan creates a dream world that he wants us to fill with our own secrets. I can’t think of a better goal for any filmmaker. Of course, trusting the intelligence of the audience can cost Nolan at the box office. We’re so used to being treated like idiots. How to cope with a grand-scale epic, shot in six countries at a reported cost of $160 million, that turns your head around six ways from Sunday? Dive in and drive yourself crazy, that’s how.

http://www.nolanfans.com/2010/06/23/first-inception-review-from-rolling-stones-peter-travers/

I'm.mortal

It's been five years since writer-director Andrew Niccol's last project, the not-so-well received action thriller Lord of War, and it seems now that the Truman Show and Gattaca writer is ready to return to the sci-fi milieu that's brought him success. THR reports that Niccol is readying the project I'm.mortal, set in a future in which people no longer age, and to avoid overpopulation, "time has become the currency and the way people pay for luxuries and necessities." The main character of the film is a young man who comes into a time fortune, and eventually has to go on the run from corrupt cops known as "time keepers." THR refers to it as having the potential to be Niccol's most commercial work yet, and though the movies that seem to have inspired it-- Children of Men, Blade Runner-- weren't exactly hits, they're ideas they seem to have currency every time they show up in the theaters.

It's easy to forget after all this time how valuable Niccol's contribution to movies was in the late 90s. Sci-fi's having a moment right now thanks to District 9 and its like, and it'll be good to have Niccol's voice back in the mix.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Gattaca-Director-Andrew-Niccol-Returning-With-Sci-Fi-Project-I-m-mortal-18066.html

Small

It turns out that Rinsch (who was previously set to helm the "Alien" reboot and is now working on "47 Ronin" with Keanu Reeves) has been meeting with various nobel prize-winning scientists and theorists to develop the world that "Small" takes place in. He's been saying that the project is a mix of "2001," "Blade Runner," and "Doctor Zhivago," with a bit of Bourne-style action.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17331#ixzz0sRKBsf6h

It's hard to judge it without hearing it in the film, since most of the time that's where scores in Nolan's films are at their best.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you can listen to the entire Inception score:

http://www.musicme.com/#/Hans-Zimmer/albums/al%20...%20on-Picture)-0093624965008.html

BTW, this movie has been getting stellar reviews, can't wait

the score as heard in the movie is terrible.

Well, I thought the score worked well in the movie (not that a John Barry score wouldn't have worked considering all the Bond elements to the movie). Listening to it as a standalone listening experience might not be as good, however.

I hope he doesn't waste his time. Sorry for the oddly blunt attitude :lol: I just think it looks awful.

Howard has 4 films in post-production right now though, and earlier this year he did The Last Airbender and Salt.

Holy shit The Green Lantern is one of those in post-production!

JNH has been incredibly inspired with less-than-amazing material. I consider Lady in the Water to be one of his best, and it's certainly not a good movie.

As for the film, I'd say that getting good acting and good dialogue are Night's biggest problems. If he doesn't write the screenplay and doesn't direct the actors, then this could be a really solid film. And it may look rather cliche from the trailer, but knowing Night I doubt it will follow the classic "guess who's evil" formula.