Upcoming Films

Quintus

Mark Wahlberg works so much better as a supporting actor. As a lead, man I dunno. He was really good in what? Boogie Nights???

His best work was the Departed, but again, supporting!

Who knows, it might be decent...buuuuuuuuut.....

I think the REAL question is: Is the idea of an Uncharted movie good? And I'm A HUUUUGGGEEE fan of the games (still play UC2 online till this day!) The games themselves are like movies, soooo why do we need...a movie about it?!!

Mark Wahlberg works so much better as a supporting actor. As a lead, man I dunno. He was really good in what? Boogie Nights???

His best work was the Departed, but again, supporting!

Who knows, it might be decent...buuuuuuuuut.....

I think the REAL question is: Is the idea of an Uncharted movie good? And I'm A HUUUUGGGEEE fan of the games (still play UC2 online till this day!) The games themselves are like movies, soooo why do we need...a movie about it?!!

Agreed on all accounts. Not to mention there's a bunch of stuff they'll have to cut. I'm beginning to think video games were never meant to be movies, a good one has yet to be made.

the writing is rather cheesy. But I know I'm in the minority on that, at least here.

For real?? Hey, to each his own, I'm not gonna argue our opinions on it, but man, the writing in Uncharted 2, and especially the very VERY ending.....dude, simply put, that stuff NEVER happens in video games. It took it to a whole new level. And the stuff with Tenzin in the village and ice climbing (assuming you played the game) was fucking brilliant.

I can't remember much of Groundhog's Day but it would be preposterous to think that Harold Ramis is better than Woody Allen's best film.

Alex

I'll take Annie Hall over both.

Quint, how can you not be absolutely gobsmacked by Gordon Willis' monochrome photography for "Manhattan"?

What can I say, I just happened to watch Annie Hall at a certain moment in my young life and I had a sort of profound reaction to it, due to where my head was at the time, I guess.

The photography in that film is none too shabby either, don't you think?

What can I say, I just happened to watch Annie Hall at a certain moment in my young life and I had a sort of profound reaction to it, due to where my head was at the time, I guess.

The photography in that film is none too shabby either, don't you think?

I quite agree, and, on reflection, "Annie Hall" is the better "laugh-out-loud" film. I just think that "Manhattan" is near-perfection, in just about every sense of the word. That, however, is not to diminish "Annie Hall" in any way...

Not sure if someone already posted a link but I saw the trailer from The Green Lantern. I'm unticking the box on my list. Actually, it was never on my list.

Alex

It may be the main lead or something, but it more felt like a MTV parody than anything else. Not that I was ever interested in this film.

Karol

There was something very Michael Bay-ish about the trailer, very formulaic and a bit cheesy. Certainly doesn't encourage me in regards to the film, though I hope it's just a poorly put together and doesn't accurately represent it.

I hope it's just a poorly put together and doesn't accurately represent it.

Then they better reshoot it! The way he knocks down enemies with the blue energy field around him ... Visually very weak and intangible!

I can't remember much of Groundhog's Day but it would be preposterous to think that Harold Ramis is better than Woody Allen's best film.

I didn't call it better, but Manhatten disapointed a bit the last time I saw it, though I think it was just a mood thing. Though Groundhog's Day does have the distinction of being one of a kind, whereas however great Manhatten is, and how it stands out in Woody's ouvre, there are other films in its vicinity. The Ramis film is unique, and a great movie.

• 2 weeks later...

btw the chronicles of narnia dawn treader starts tomorrow, and I've not seen more cartoon like effects in a film since I saw a friggin cartoon. those look beyond bad.

I like three things about that trailer:

* Astronauts.

* Tom Virtue. He played the father of Shia LaBeouf's character in Even Stevens, and he's seen in mission control. I hope they get scenes together.

* The trailer sets up the premise of the film without showing the whole film. A lot of trailers these days give you the entire setup, a lot of the rising action, and fragments of the climax, so that you can piece together the basic plot without having seen the film. I prefer this approach.

And to think The Golden Compass (with worse CGI than Narnia) won the Academy Award. Rigged I tell ya. They couldn't live with the fact that a Michael Bay film would be an Oscar-winner.

Pearl Harbor won an Oscar.

And to think The Golden Compass (with worse CGI than Narnia) won the Academy Award. Rigged I tell ya. They couldn't live with the fact that a Michael Bay film would be an Oscar-winner.

Pearl Harbor won an Oscar.

Really?

*checks AA database*

Huh, don't know how I forgot about that.

Thor First Official Trailer

Still not good. The actor with no charisma playing Thor and the beyond John Boorman costumes don't seem to do well for this movie. Also, all these new films appear like they have been directed by a computer. I'm waiting for another off beat comic book film like Watchmen or Kick-Ass.

So Jon Favreau decided to quit Iron Man series. Good for him, really. Something tells me Marvel will screw up their movies from now on. Not that IM2 was great.

In the meantime, I'm kind of intrigued to see Cowboys & Aliens.

Karol

I yearn for Harrison Ford to do another great movie before it's too late. This probably won't be it but I'm more than happy to give it a chance.

I agree. I don't think Favreau is capable of making a great film, but it should be a good time at the flicks.

Holy fuck, I just watched The Tree Of Life trailer in glorious 1080p. Is it too early to call it the best film of the current decade?

Also watched trailers for Vanishing On 7th Street and Take Me Home Tonight.

The former has a good director (that of The Machinist) and an interesting plot, but it stars Hayden Christensen, Thandie Newton, and John Leguizamo. wot.gif

The latter looks too cliche, but I like Topher Grace. Good to see him get work, sad to still see him play a high school student.