What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Eraser (Alan Silvestri)

Didn't like it. The rock element doesn't work for me and if I want to hear Silvestri aping MV trends I'd much rather go for the Van Helsing variation.

Oh it's not that bad, you do have to admit "Kruger Escapes" is pretty good.

I'll listen to it again later. It was the first time I listened to this score actually.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonus PotC Disc:

It can be quite awesome (the suites). The remixes...haven't heard 'em yet, but I probably will eventually. The DVD was very interesting, I didn't know that Gore played guitar in the score. All of the people working on the film seemed to think that CotBP was an extremely original score...that was a nice laugh. 4.5/5 stars

Revenge of the Sith, it made my dogs ears bleed.

Signs, it healed my dogs ears.

Mark Snow - Millennium

I was bored by this. I guess I ordered it cause I was caught up in the frenzy of it being released the same day as Batman:TAS, so I just ordered them both at the same time (as I'm sure was LLL's intention). My main problem, I think, is that I've never seen the show, so I have no context to place any of this music with. Someday I will revisit when I have time to watch the show, and when I do, I'm sure I'll be glad I got this before it sold out

Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen II

I didn't like it as much as the first. Alot of it was similar to the first movie's score, but not as interesting. And why is this score so much shorter than the other two?

Jerry Goldsmith - The Final Conflict

This one was interesting, fairly different from the first two. I think I need to see these movies before listening to this box set again, cause again I had no context for any of it

I've only seen bits of it, but I didn't get the feeling that watching the film can in any way improve your appreciation of The Final Conflict as a score. It's a unbelievably brilliant piece of music nevertheless.

The Hunt is a nice scene, as are the main titles. No dialogue.

Listened to Defiance. I'm liking it a bit more. There's one theme in it that I really, really, like. Haven't been able to stop humming it.

Listened to Defiance. I'm liking it a bit more. There's one theme in it that I really, really, like. Haven't been able to stop humming it.

It's been growing on me as well. There are definitely a few themes I've noticed, so I'm not really sure where the accusations of it being themeless came from (the promo download maybe?). One I particularly like is featured in "Camp Montage" and the final track...simply gorgeous. And Bell's violin work is wonderful throughout, though I can't help but think it a tad redundant for JNH after using Hilary Hahn in a similar manner for The Village. In any case, I think it's pretty well-deserving of its Oscar nomination.

And regarding The Final Conflict, I've just been getting into The Omen scores (gotta love Amazon's price for the trilogy boxed set), and they're pretty damn amazing. I've only listened to each score once through, but I'd say my favorite at this point is the third. The music conveys such a compelling struggle between good and evil. And yeah, "The Hunt" kicks ass.

James Horner - Star Trek 3 (Complete)

Just like Star Trek 2, I like this score even more than I already did not that I've heard it complete and chronologically

Supergirl: Extended Version

I liked it even more than the Varese OST. This Goldsmith guy writes some good music, eh?

Don Davis - Jurassic Park 3 (Complete)

Good stuff. So unrelenting though, the music barely pauses. I guess from what I remember the movie didn't either though

Danny Elfman: Spider-man (OST)

Man, I liked this far more than I remembered liking it. Its a well put together album that flows incredibly well.

Danny Elfman: Spider-man (OST)

Man, I liked this far more than I remembered liking it. Its a well put together album that flows incredibly well.

That was my opinion of the score too, until Trent sent me the complete score. I am now convinced that it is a masterwork, or at least very, very, close. I have been in a huge Danny Elfman mood recently, and I have listened to "Darkman" about twenty times or so, and I am currently listening to "Hellboy II: The Golden Army", and I keep finding new things about it every time I listen to it.

EDIT: I can see that, Joe... So what is the final count?

So what is the final count?

For Raiders?

Raiders March - 32

Ark theme - 29

Marion's theme - 12

That does not include the end credits. I've tried to be pretty consistent and fair in my counting methods...anytime a nonthematic passage or a different theme was followed by one of these, I counted it. If it continuously played through different parts of the theme (such as the march's A and B themes), I only counted it as one, but the theme started over again in a significant way or if there were other extende passages between the different parts of the theme, I counted multiple uses of the theme. I did not count the occasional use of the Raiders March ostinato, either.

Newton Howards sparseness and focused writing has reached the level of many late Goldsmith scores...you're initially a bit disappointed by it but then you realize that there is a lot more thought behind it than you could imagine after first hearing.

The action music is terrible, sadly, but most likely demanded that way (the loud and obnoxious trailer music way). It's no great show-off score but rewarding nevertheless!

Has anyone heard 'Inkheart' (Navarrete) yet? The itunes samples are poo for this kind of music and i rather liked 'Pan's Labyrinth'...

I do enjoy Lair, though. There's so much variety in it! Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Howard, Silvestri...sometimes all in the same track!

He has a handful of decent scores.

Last night I listened to Silent Hill: Homecoming. An excellent score, I'm starting to appreciate Akira Yamaoka's work more. The fact that's he been able to continuously provide fantastic music for the franchise, even if the games aren't as great anymore, shows his skill.

One More Soul To The Call is an amazing song.

Danny Elfman - Spider-man 2 OST

Not as good as the Spider-man 1 OST, but still enjoyable. Sometime soon I'll listen to the expanded scores of 1 and 2

Christopher Young & Debra Lurie - Spider-Man 3

All I have is 33 minutes of Young's score and 13 of Debra's. I think some of Debney's score has leaked too right? Anyway, apart from the main title, I didn't really care for this too much. Was my first listen though, I like to give every score at LEAST 2 listens.

Howard Shore - Soul Of The Ultimate Nation

I really love this, its like Lord of the Rings lite.... just an hour of enjoyable LOTR-ish music without getting so deep and heavy... it's an easier commitment to make :P Is there any sites about this score, like breaking down what is happening in the scenes the tracks underscore, how much unreleased music there is, etc?

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek 8 First Contact (Complete)

First time I've listened to this score in a very long time. I forgot how cool the Klingon Theme is in it. The borg music is fun too. And phoenix theme is great

Michael Giacchino - Lost (OSTs for seasons 1, 2, and 3)

These really got better as they went on. I really appreciated that the third one had 3 entire episode scores included. I love that theme that plays throughout the finale (not sure if it represents anything specific).

I'm so bad at recognizing the themes from this show, though. Other than the slow piano theme that is on all 3 sets, I have no clue what other themes I might have heard across multiple cues or seasons. Is there a site that breaks down all his themes for the show?

Michael Giacchino - Lost (OSTs for seasons 1, 2, and 3)

These really got better as they went on. I really appreciated that the third one had 3 entire episode scores included.

I think all three have considerable strengths, and I'd have a hard time picking a favorite.

I love that theme that plays throughout the finale (not sure if it represents anything specific).

As do I - it was first introduced in the pilot ("Hollywood and Vines" on the S1 OST) and then used briefly in an episode of S2, I believe. It usually involves the characters going on some difficult journey, especially uphill.

I'm so bad at recognizing the themes from this show, though. Other than the slow piano theme that is on all 3 sets, I have no clue what other themes I might have heard across multiple cues or seasons. Is there a site that breaks down all his themes for the show?

I started this Lostpedia article as an effort to catalog all musical themes from the show last year. I basically watched the whole show straight through and made note (no pun intended) of the first use of every theme. I haven't thoroughly looked it over in a while, so there might be some stuff in there I disagree with, but it at least looks fine at first glance.

Joe's article is definitely worth anyone's while who'd like to familiarize themselves with the show's multitude of themes. It's the definitive - and as far as I know, the only - listing available.

Speaking of which, and maybe this would be better asked in the Lost thread, but has anyone noticed any new themes in Season 5 so far? I haven't yet, but there have been plenty of welcome renditions of familiar themes.

Thanks, Mr. Barnsbury. I appreciate it. =)

I've been listening pretty closely to the music this season so far, and I haven't heard anything that screams "NEW THEME" yet. There was one little melodic idea that I was hearing in "Jughead" when I re-watched it today that might count...I was kinda on the fence about it, and now I don't remember the specifics. It gets kinda hard to start deciding what's a theme and what isn't after a while...I mean, there are some that are very, very obvious. For example, Kate has a theme. Jin and Sun have a theme. Ben and the Others have a theme. There's a bittersweet theme for death. Stuff like that is pretty easy to call a theme once you're aware of it. But Giacchino likes to come up with all these short, repeated figures that are often repeated in multiple episodes, and that are sometimes kinda leitmotivic...but it's hard to decide which ones are themes and which ones aren't, and sometimes it's hard to decide if two themes are actually different variations of the same one.

Locke's theme actually isn't my favorite. (I assume we're talking the "Crocodile Locke" theme, not the sad one that's rarely heard these days.) I mean, it's cool and all, and it fits the amazing character quite well, but there's so much great material in that show's scores.

I think Ben's theme is the one that's been implemented in the most fascinating ways. It was introduced near the end of season 2, while Michael was in the process of betraying the Losties, especially in scenes directly involving the Others. In season 3, it became a theme purely for the Others and, by extension, Ben, eventually being used mostly for him. And of course, it was usually muted trombones and dark strings and so forth...very creepy, ominous tonalities. Then "The Man Behind the Curtain" (still one of my favorite episodes!) came along. Giacchino gives the theme some chords, adds a second phrase to it, and puts it on the piano and/or very mellow strings. Totally different feeling, but the same theme. Now he uses variations of both...although I really do miss those late-S2/early-S3 statements. They were really amazingly appropriate to the Others.

Speaking of which...I really enjoyed the tribal drum sounds that returned in the score to "Jughead." These predated even that theme, I believe, and they are also very fitting for the Others. I was pretty bummed not to hear any full-on statements of their actual theme, but those pitter-patters of percussion were greatly appreciated. I love having the Others back in action, seriously!

Speaking of which, and maybe this would be better asked in the Lost thread, but has anyone noticed any new themes in Season 5 so far? I haven't yet, but there have been plenty of welcome renditions of familiar themes.

I think there was in the latest episode

There was a little motif that came up when Faraday was inspecting Jughead. I actually thought it might've been from Medal of Honor

Hmmm, I didn't notice that. I'll have to take a listen again at some point.

By the way, I was never terribly fond of the freighter people in S4, though some of them individually were/are rather interesting. Yet Giacchino managed to write a theme for them that was somehow appropriate AND very enjoyable. That shows an almost Williams-like ability to elevate an idea beyond where it would otherwise be simply through the power of music.

Ooooh, great CD! I haven't listened to that in a LONG TIME. There's also a Volume 2 which is very excellent.

Anybody know why they never made further volumes??

Composer compilations seem to be a very 90's thing. I'm not that into the first volume, but the second one is one of the best compilations I know of. It's got real personality in the way it's constructed. That, and it's a good way to check out some scores of Elfman's that are OOP and hard to find, like Black Beauty (which is marvelous).

Danny Elfman - Spider-man 2 OST

Not as good as the Spider-man 1 OST, but still enjoyable. Sometime soon I'll listen to the expanded scores of 1 and 2

Please do so, the scores are brilliant in complete form.

I too think "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" is great, and much better with the complete score. I have never listened to these compilation Disks, though. Oh, and I got "Nightbreed" in the mail, but I have yet to listen to it.

The Music of John Williams - Forty Years of Film Music:

A great listen. "Presumed Innocent End Titles" and "To Thornfield" are the best cues that I don't already own. I also really like the versions of "Dance of the Witches" and "Dry Your Tears, Afrika." However, the performances really aren't that great. "Adventures on Earth" is the most obvious version of this. The tempo has been slowed down so much, I feel like I'm listening to it in slow motion. 3.75/5 stars