What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

I've been listening to some Beatles lately, not that that has anything to do with this thread.

I think this thread should be for any music you listen to, not just scores. After all we have a thread for any music we buy, not just soundtracks.

I suppose, although a name change for the thread would have to be in order.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a statement based on my experiences. Have you ever seen a complete score release with no mention that all the music is there?

Fierce Creatures even contains additional music without saying anything on the cover.

It's a statement based on my experiences. Have you ever seen a complete score release with no mention that all the music is there?

Yes. Some original albums are complete. Thomas Newman and Patrick Doyle come to mind. I think A Little Princess is complete.

Minority Report:

This is one of the most underrated JW scores. I love it. Yes, there are some parts that sound like AotC (the bongos in "Spyders" and the chord progressions in "Psychic Truth and Finale"), but the original stuff is really quite great. I've gained appreciation for "Anderton's Great Escape" as an action cue, which is great in the beginning, and good later on. "Spyders" is fantastically creepy, and I love the Pre-Crime theme. "A New Beginning" is interesting, how JW starts off making it sound stressful and tragic (like most of the score), but by the end it blossoms into something beautiful and tender. And "Sean's Theme" is beautiful. 4/5 stars

Minority Report:

This is one of the most underrated JW scores. I love it. Yes, there are some parts that sound like AotC (the bongos in "Spyders" and the chord progressions in "Psychic Truth and Finale"), but the original stuff is really quite great. I've gained appreciation for "Anderton's Great Escape" as an action cue, which is great in the beginning, and good later on. "Spyders" is fantastically creepy, and I love the Pre-Crime theme. "A New Beginning" is interesting, how JW starts off making it sound stressful and tragic (like most of the score), but by the end it blossoms into something beautiful and tender. And "Sean's Theme" is beautiful. 4/5 stars

Yeah, "A New Beginning" is an especially lovely cue. I find the movie in general to be underappreciated, so I guess the score is a part of that; maybe popular opinon will shift at some point.

I've gained appreciation for "Anderton's Great Escape" as an action cue, which is great in the beginning, and good later on.

Funny. I would say the opposite, although the first part isn't bad.

"Spyders" is fantastically creepy, and I love the Pre-Crime theme.

Yes, the Pre-Crime cue is impressively awesome :) , but unfortunately it suffered from the "microedit" syndrome on the album.

Come to think of it, now that I've had the chance to compare the DVD to the OST, it really is shocking how much stuff was left off of the album. :(

Georges Delerue: A Summer Story (1988)

Summer_Story_790961.jpg

Even by Delerue standards the yearning main theme is a knock-out. There's a pastoral romantic wash all over the music, only thing it's lacking are Horner style track titles like 'A Romance that could have been - A Promise Forever Kept' or similar...

James Horner: Iris (2001)

Iris_Sony_SK89806.jpg

One of the best post-2000 scores by this composer. Almost concertant in his approach, it's nice hollywoodized british classicism with lots of Vaughan Williams' pastoral works referenced, directly so in the final track, 'A Lark in the Clean Air'. Violin solos abound, but not those customary minor-modes but wide open majors, played by Joshua Bell.

Why itunes decided to random-play these scores this sunday i don't know, but the day started better for it! :(

Monsignor:

It's a solid score. I really love the romantic theme (having not seen the film, I'm not sure if it's an actual love theme or not). My favorite cue is probably "Meeting in Sicily" or "Reunion in Italy." What I don't understand is how this score was nominated for Worst Score at the Razzies. No, it's not one of JW's best works, but I don't see any reason to dislike it that strongly. I quite enjoyed it, actually. 3.75/5 stars

I usually love scores to films which I haven't seen. Monsignor is one of them. Heartbeeps was until I saw that terrible, terrible film. Requiem For A Dream is still one of them. I love to listen to that score and just have my own thoughts and images run through my mind.

All these polls have made me go back and pull out most of the scores listed, and some others we haven't discussed.

So in the past few weeks:

Under Siege 2

Total Recall

Lionheart

Great Composer- Georges Delerue 2 disc set

Star Trek TMP

Penelope

Cleopatra - Alex North

Jaws

El Cid

Silver Streak

Lifeforce

The last few nights my new Walkman has gone with me to work (so much better than lugging CDs), I've gone through:

Star Wars Episodes I & II

Superman

Star Treks TMP and First Contact

Doctor Who Series 3

Medal of Honor

Roar

I've been listening to ALIEN 3 too. It is pretty damn good, if not always easy to listen to.

Yes, I think that will be my ultimate opinion of the score.

IMO the score sounds better the way it's presented in the film rather than on the album.

I am currently listening to "Jaws 2". This score is starting to grow on me. I never noticed the quieter moments of the score before, and it feels like an epiphany listening to them for the "first time", so to speak. I still think the score hits its low points when it gets crazy with the "Jaws Theme", which does not happen as often as I thought it did. Do I still like the first score more? Yes. But the gap between the two is closing, in my mind.

I am currently listening to "Jaws 2". I still think the score hits its low points when it gets crazy with the "Jaws Theme"

I think its one of the highlights of the sequel, orchestrate the original theme in very different ways. There is some lush orchestration of the simple (but effective) rendition from Jaws .

Though it is interesting to hear hints of what would become "The Lost World: Jurassic Park", it gets a bit...I do not know, "mindless", maybe? I just do not like those statements all too much (by the way, the theme from "The Catamaran Race" is really catchy, huh?)

Mouse Hunt:

I can say that the main theme is fantastic, especially its use in "Main Titles" and "End Credits." I can also say that without this theme, the score would be incredibly boring. That's all I can really think of to say. 3/5 stars

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (2004 expanded release)

This was my first time actually hearing it beyond the main theme, and it was very good. I think the hype of how great it is and the different style Morricone takes here both gave a one-two punch to make it harder for me to get that into it. After the opening track, it kind of dragged, but once I got to "The Desert" things started to pick up. I really like how the majority of the "Father Ramirez" is almost like a "New-Age-Western" kind of vibe until it explodes into the main theme. Nice touch. "The Ecstasy of Gold" is indeed excellent. I understand, though, that this "expanded" release unfortunately trimmed down "The Story of a Soldier" and "The Trio," so I can't help but get the feeling I'm missing out on some good stuff. I imagine I'll work towards getting the import that has the full tracks, but for now this was probably a darn good introduction.

*sigh* It's hard to judge this on a star scale right now--it really is different from what I'm used to, and this may be a The Lord of the Rings-type situation where I just have to keep listening until it really clicks. For now I'm giving this ****/*****.

What you have is a good release. The GDM Italian release only has the full versions of the cues you mentioned. If you're willing to double-dip I say go for it, it's one of my favorite scores.

If you plan on buying A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More, then you can completely skip the American releases and get the GDM ones. They have twice as much music.

I haven't heard anything from the first two scores--are they comparable in style and quality to the third?

I actually listened to TGTBATU on the subscription service with Rhapsody. Fortunately, it looks like the 2004 release is just under $10, and the GDM release right about $20, so if I grabbed both it would basically be like buying a $30 ultimate release. :thumbup:

I'll definitely revisit this one--good stuff for sure.

Wasn't Saving Private Ryan complete?

I usually love scores to films which I haven't seen. Monsignor is one of them. Heartbeeps was until I saw that terrible, terrible film. Requiem For A Dream is still one of them. I love to listen to that score and just have my own thoughts and images run through my mind.

Requiem is one of the best films I've ever seen, you should definitely check it out.

Just don't plan on having a fun evening afterwards, it'll depress you :D

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (2004 expanded release)

I understand, though, that this "expanded" release unfortunately trimmed down "The Story of a Soldier" and "The Trio," so I can't help but get the feeling I'm missing out on some good stuff.

Is there a proper film edit of The Trio available? I'm yet to find it.

Requiem is one of the best films I've ever seen, you should definitely check it out.

Just don't plan on having a fun evening afterwards, it'll depress you :wave:

It's very good. I'm just not sure I'll ever want to see it again.

It's very good. I'm just not sure I'll ever want to see it again.

Well Marian, having 'Chain Reaction' on the playlist, don't you feel an irresistible urge to watch the full show, with Keanu and Morgan battling it out the full 2 hours? :wave:

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek 5

I liked it, it was good, but what I listened to was a boot so there was sfx over whatever wasn't on the OST, so I think that hurt my enjoyment (this was my first time hearing any of the score at all)

James Horner - Star Trek 2 (Complete)

I love the OST, but haven't seen the movie in YEARS so was unfamiliar with that wasn't on it. Now that I've heard the whole score complete and chronologically, I really hope Paramount gets off their ass and releases it! I appreciated the score even more than i already did!

James Horner - Aliens (2CD Boot)

This is the boot we were talking about a few pages ago (or maybe it was one of the last pages of the previous thread). Its mostly a complete waste, since the Varese Deluxe Edition was so comprehensive. There's MAYBE 5 minutes total of music not on that, and its like 20 seconds of a different performance of one cue here, a minute of difference in another cue there. Not really worth tracking down at all. All the alternate sections sounded like they made changes at the podium, and every time the final version we already have was better than the original.

Jerry Goldsmith - Supergirl (OST)

My first time hearing this score. It was pretty fun stuff! I dunno about the electronic overdubs though...

Not necessarily a score persay, but I picked up a Gheorge Zamfir LP in a charity shop today, which features 'The Lonely Shepherd' used in KILL BILL, VOL. 1. And it's pretty awesome so far.

Tarantino's use of that piece of music is absolutely awesome in Kill Bill. He's got great musical sensibilities.

Does anyone know if Morricone was ever actually signed to score Inglorious Bastards? I know it was rumored at some point, but up in the air because Morricone's schedule might not work out.

Paperwork-wise? No idea. Probably not. It doesn't sound to me like it was ever taken very seriously by either parties. It was up in the air, until it became impossible for Morricone to do it.

Gerhardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I'm going to listen to this a bit more, but so far, I'm not feeling it. Han Solo and the Princess is nice, I like the way he's embellished it, but The Asteroid Field is a huge misfire, and sounds like chunks have been cut from it and randomly inserted. I'll give it another few tries, but I'm not impressed, which is a shame as I love his ROTJ.

Paperwork-wise? No idea. Probably not. It doesn't sound to me like it was ever taken very seriously by either parties. It was up in the air, until it became impossible for Morricone to do it.

How is it impossible for Morricone to do it? As far as I know, he is going to be involved somehow.

Well Marian, having 'Chain Reaction' on the playlist, don't you feel an irresistible urge to watch the full show, with Keanu and Morgan battling it out the full 2 hours? ;)

I learned long ago not to make a Goldsmith score a reason to actually watch a film. :)

Gerhardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I'm going to listen to this a bit more, but so far, I'm not feeling it. Han Solo and the Princess is nice, I like the way he's embellished it, but The Asteroid Field is a huge misfire, and sounds like chunks have been cut from it and randomly inserted. I'll give it another few tries, but I'm not impressed, which is a shame as I love his ROTJ.

It's generally regarded as Gerhardt's best recording here, but I agree with you. I like neither the interpretation nor the performance very much. I'm a big fan of Gerhardt's recordings of the other two SW scores and of his recordings in general, and I rank ESB as the one big disappointment among his discs.

I've tried listening to Gerhardt's re-recordings for the Star Wars films and frankly I don't like them, to me they just sound like every other re-recording out there. Too slow of a tempo and just sounds off.

Jerry Goldsmith - Supergirl (OST)

My first time hearing this score. It was pretty fun stuff! I dunno about the electronic overdubs though...

Bought the CD decades ago, and loved it immediately. Upon revisiting this score, the synth effects have been bothering me more and more. I wish there were some alternates out there minus the effects.