Danny Elfman scores 'Terminator: Salvation'

Charlie Brigden

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This will have to be a wait for me.

I like Elfman a lot and was happy he rebounded with Hellboy II and Wanted after the dreadful The Kingdom, but as Nick said, there's not even a track listing for this one yet and its out in a month. That seems odd, but whatever, it doesn't influence me either way. I nearly always wait until I watch the film before I pick up the soundtrack, with John Williams being the lone exception.

Though I did pre-order Star Trek, so maybe Giacchino will be added to my exclusive pre-order list.

Actually from the trailers, from the standpoint of big robots kicking ass and causing awesome mayhem, Terminator 4 may just out-transformer Transformers 2.

Actually from the trailers, from the standpoint of big robots kicking ass and causing awesome mayhem, Terminator 4 may just out-transformer Transformers 2.

Thank God we have Star Trek this summer.

Oh, you misunderstood. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

BREAKING NEWS: Linkin Park will be working on the score for Transformers 2: Revenge Of The Fallen. Although I wasn't at liberty to say it before, the song I've been referencing here on mikeshinoda.com in the past few weeks...is actually being done for Michael Bay's new Transformers film, due out June 24th. In addition--and probably ever cooler--we have been offered the unique opportunity to help score the film. The song we wrote is being used as one of the themes, and we will be writing various interpolations on that theme, and trying out some other thematic ideas as part of the (very large) team scoring the film. My bandmates and I are working with award-winning film composer (and resident bottom-kicker) Hans Zimmer. We met with Hans last week, and heard some of the incredible things he and his guys have done with our new song. In the next few days, we'll be doing some work with Hans' amazing writing and recording crew. Michael Bay has shown us select scenes from the film, and it looks incredible. I can't wait for you to see it. - MS

Oh, you were talking about Transformers 2.

So Hansy is now scoring the film? Or is this the committee aproach and Jablonsky was the name they pulled out of the hat to go on the main credit?

So it'll be like Hoist the Colours, but with Linkin Park writing it?

Wow. I'm even less interested in this movie. Is there anything about it now worth seeing?

*snap* Megan Fox. Duh.

And we thought MV couldn't sink any lower. Zimmer now has Linkin Park ghost writing for him.

It's obviously a move made by Michael Bay. Its Jablonsky's score, which is basically just him ripping off Zimmer. Hans is most likely just producing.

Megan Fox isn't enough for me to waste $5.00 on a movie.

Although lately I've been having a hard time telling T4 from TF2 when watching commercials.

• 2 weeks later...

Track list:

1. All Is Lost

2. Broadcast

3. The Harvester Returns

4. Fireside

5. No Plan

6. Reveal/The Escape

7. Hydrobot Attack

8. Farewell

9. Marcus Enters Skynet

10. A Solution

11. Serena

12. Final Confrontation

13. Salvation

14. Rooster (Alice In Chains)

More info:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/newswire/detail.asp?newsID=1729

Apparently its actually 15 tracks

1. Opening

2. All is Lost

3. Broadcast

4. The Harvester Returns

5. Fireside

6. No Plan

7. Reveal/ The Escape

8. Hydrobot Attack

9. Farewell

10. Marcus Enters Skynet

11. A Solution

12. Serena

13. Final Confrontation

14. Salvation

15. Rooster - Alice In Chains

The last thing I will touch upon, is the music. I usually enjoy soundtracks from all kinds of movies, and I did like the steel on steel sounds that has been with Terminator at least since Terminator 2. I wasn’t expecting great new music I could listen to at any time, but I usually am very fond of Danny Elfmans work, and thought it at times was too loud and big for the movie. Sometimes less is more, and for me, that would have been preferable this time around.

from a review at AICN

Also, Elfman will be scoring a Broadway play(or musical I'm not sure) about Houdini starring Hugh Jackman

Well looks like the film is gonna end with a rock song, how inappropriate.

I love how you instantly judge without even having any idea of what context the song might be in. Have you heard the song itself? It's a very interesting choice for a big budget flick, itself being a premeditation on war, specifically Vietnam, so I don't think this is credit fodder.

Well looks like the film is gonna end with a rock song, how inappropriate.

I love how you instantly judge without even having any idea of what context the song might be in. Have you heard the song itself? It's a very interesting choice for a big budget flick, itself being a premeditation on war, specifically Vietnam, so I don't think this is credit fodder.

I suppose Koray was being sarcastic, for one reason or another. We all know that T2 also ended with a rock song (it was AD/DC if I am not mistaken).

Also, Elfman will be scoring a Broadway play(or musical I'm not sure) about Houdini starring Hugh Jackman

I believe he's writing a musical.

I don't think he was, but stranger things have happened.

It was Guns 'N Roses' 'You Could Be Mine' on T2. I think AC/DC was on LAST ACTION HERO.

Yes, of course - Guns 'N' Roses. I don't know why I thought of AC/DC.

Track times:

1 Opening 5:59

2 All Is Lost 2:44

3 Broadcast 3:15

4 The Harvester Returns 2:43

5 Fireside 1:30

6 No Plan 1:42

7 Reveal/The Escape 7:42

8 Hydrobot Attack 1:48

9 Farewell 1:39

10 Marcus Enters Skynet 3:21

11 A Solution 1:43

12 Serena 2:26

13 Final Confrontation 4:13

14 Salvation 3:04

15 Rooster (Alice In Chains) 6:14

TOTAL: 50:03 (43:49 score)

Again... 45 mins of score. Those pesky unions will be the death of us all! :huh:

I'm really looking forward to this. I love Wanted, and I think that sort of approach could produce something very cool. I like a serious Elfman.

First review I've seen:

Getting my first few listens of Elfman's TERMINATOR SALVATION. It's no surprise that I love it, but I wonder if it's excessively aggressive action music will fly with those more apt to be listening to something from Cliff Eidelman's teen lesbian collection. It's one of those scores that the more you listen, the better it gets. I felt the same way about Michael Giacchino's STAR TREK. It really left me confused the first time through, but repeated listens helped bring out the theme and all the composer's ideas.

The album is a nice balance between frenetic action and heroic (mostly for brass, strings and percussion), warm humanistic scoring, particularly nice is the solo guitar rendition of the main theme in "Fireside". That same theme is re-stated in the same track on a Celtic & Paraguayan Harp, which I thought might be something you'd hear in a HARRY POTTER score as some cut-rate, Russian-CGI-house-animated fantasy cliche passed through Diagon Alley.

Brad Fiedel's original, anvil-crashing TERMINATOR motif does not appear on the album, but Elfman's own main theme and percussion keep the score somewhat in that same musical universe.

From a post on the FSM message board