Danny Elfman scores 'Terminator: Salvation'

Charlie Brigden

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't heard that - thanks for letting us know. I definitely never would have thought of Elfman for the project, but then again, he could be perfect. Hard to say. Let's hope he thinks a bit further outside of his own bizarre box than he has been lately and dreams up something really great! =)

Can't wait for it. Best composer of 2008- I hope the streak continues (three terrific scores in a row is nothing to laugh about, and that's before I've even heard Milk).

The composer for all three "Spider-Man" films had one word for it: "Exciting."

That's not right.

[...]a freedom fighter who battles Skynet alongside John Connors.

Nor is that.

Anyway, cool choice. I bet it will be a great score. I do hope the theme shows up somewhere though.

I hadn't heard that - thanks for letting us know. I definitely never would have thought of Elfman for the project, but then again, he could be perfect. Hard to say. Let's hope he thinks a bit further outside of his own bizarre box than he has been lately and dreams up something really great! =)

Now, now, what have we been talking about?

Anyways, I think this score will be good. However, my cynical side thinks it might turn out like "The Kingdom". I guess we will know soon.

Whoa! YEah!! This will be awesome. I hope he just gets to do what he wants and not be made to do the "Kingdom" sound and use the Terminator rhythm.

three terrific scores in a row

Which would those be? :blink:

Hellboy 2 is decent, but nothing spectacular. Standard Operating Procedure is 75% cut and paste from Serenada Schizophrana. And Wanted is a little annoying.

I'm a huge fan of Elfman's older stuff, but recently his music leaves much to be desired.

three terrific scores in a row

Which would those be? :blink:

Hellboy 2 is decent, but nothing spectacular. Standard Operating Procedure is 75% cut and paste from Serenada Schizophrana. And Wanted is a little annoying.

I'm a huge fan of Elfman's older stuff, but recently his music leaves much to be desired.

Have you given it a chance on album? It really is good. I love Hellboy 2.

What a suprise, I figured they would hire the usual bunch of crap composers that seem to be handling sequels and re-boots these days.

Was he forced to write that way? Nothing will ever make me like the score, but if so, I certainly feel a lot more sympathy for Danny Elfman.

Elfman has been very ready to accomodate directors wishes lately and has said that his first choice in style usually gets thrown out in favor of another approach. He said this when talking about Wanted montage. In that case, his first choice was accepted, but that usually, it gets rejected and he makes about 5 ideas for each cue. Even Goldsmith said he was couldn't get away with writing in his earlier style when the 90's came. Sensibilities changed and he changed with them, and the same goes for Elfman, so I welcome Hellboy 2 and other cues lately that are not inspired by recent music trends.

It's sad to see so many Elfman haters. :blink:

I hope you weren't referring to me? Elfman is one of my top favorite composers overall. I'm just disappointed with his recent stuff.

Have you given it a chance on album?

I have multiple times for all three I mentioned. Hellboy 2 is pretty good, it's just not that great compared to his older stuff. I do really like the new stuff in SOP, it's just annoying to hear so much directly re-used material for the rest of it. Wanted, however, I still can't get into after many listens.

I do really like the new stuff in SOP, it's just annoying to hear so much directly re-used material for the rest of it. Wanted, however, I still can't get into after many listens.

There's 3 tracks taken from the Serenada? I agree that some of his other tracks sound like it as well, but stylistically it sounds he's trying to emulate Philip Glass than rehashing his old stuff.

It's sad to see so many Elfman haters. :blink:

Im not hating on Elfman, I just don't see any reason this abomination of a film should exist.

Other than $$$ grubbing leeches wanting to milk a franchise that ended wonderfully after T2.

I don't hate Elfman, but I can think of at least 5 other composers who might have been better suited for the job (JW excluded).

Only if you stereotype Elfman unfairly is he less suited for the job. If you actually look at his range, he's better suited to almost all scoring jobs than almost any composer on any assignment.

I don't hate Elfman, but I can think of at least 5 other composers who might have been better suited for the job (JW excluded).

Can't see JW scoring a Terminator film.

He's better at scoring movies about robots looking for their mother.

Can't see JW scoring a Terminator film.

He's better at scoring movies about robots looking for their mother.

Terminator also looked for the mother. Not his though.

I agree the Terminator franchise should have stopped at T2. The first sequel is one of my favourite movies of all time - such a haunting and intricate piece of cinema. T3 took all that away in favour of some nice sfx IMO.

I don't hate Elfman either - his usually quirky style just doesn't match my tastes much. There are exceptions of course - Sleepy Hollow blew me away when I first heard it, and it's the first score CD I ever bought. So given that this seems like a more generically oriented movie and score, I'll give it a chance.

Wanted could have been an interesting one, but I saw the movie and had a listen to the score during the short and terrifying period in the middle of 2008 when music in general stopped doing anything for me for a few weeks.

Well, James Cameron proves his brilliance. This franchise is nothing without him... I'll even go so far as to say that even without Arnold, it would work, as long as Cameron was the writer and/or director.

I think they should have kept Brad Fiedel. I love the Terminator theme. I can't even remember what Marco Beltrami came up with... and I don't feel like watching T3 again.

I do really like the new stuff in SOP, it's just annoying to hear so much directly re-used material for the rest of it. Wanted, however, I still can't get into after many listens.

There's 3 tracks taken from the Serenada? I agree that some of his other tracks sound like it as well, but stylistically it sounds he's trying to emulate Philip Glass than rehashing his old stuff.

There was only two tracks adapted from Serenada Schizophrana. 95 % of the score is original. As for T4 i'll wait to see the movie to judge Elfman. BTW, I was definitely not looking forward to this and am still thinking about rather I should rent it or wait for cable. McG directing Bale as John Connor and Common as one of the resistence with Michael Bay money shots sounds like a stinker in my book. But we'll see. Should've waited for Cameron in the first place.

This project needs Jerry Goldsmith.. it would have been great to have

fortissimo Percussion/Timpani hits,

string ostinati

and what? 14 frenchhorn blasting out the Terminator theme in full attack mode

:blink:

actually I do, a lot more recently. Because my dad bought the Intrada TheWind and the lion 2CD . And the theme is great, butwhy must his themes be constructed so similar? it is always strigs + perc. underneath unis. horns