Danny Elfman scores 'Terminator: Salvation'

Charlie Brigden

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 Final Confrontation 4:13

Elfman just loves that track title, doesn't he.

He must not like the film film very much. He used to put it in as a joke about the conformity of Hollywood products (at least according to Richard Kraft).

Who knows. The movie seems to be very traditional. At least it should be better by all means than the bizzare 3rd one.

I like what I hear in the samples. The number of guitar tracks may confirm that it really was Santaolalla who was to score it first.

I like what I hear in the samples. The number of guitar tracks may confirm that it really was Santaolalla who was to score it first.

I don't know about that, but it does sound familiar (re: better than Santao).

This samples don't sound anything like what I expected. The film looks dark and gritty, and the music doesn't seem like it will fit the mood all that well. I'll wait until after I see the film to even think about ordering this.

YES! It does not sound like The Kingdom, which was my main source of trepidation for this score. Though thirty-second samples always frustrate me, I think they sound cool enough for me to purchase it.

Sounds fitting for a Terminator movie. Obviously the emotional core is what is most important here, and it has that, but also the token metal clangs and action. Danny knows how to write interesting action music. It is the best standalone music from any of the movies so far. Not that Fiedel was uneffective in the films, but hardly very good music on its own.

Sounds fitting for a Terminator movie. Obviously the emotional core is what is most important here, and it has that, but also the token metal clangs and action. Danny knows how to write interesting action music. It is the best standalone music from any of the movies so far. Not that Fiedel was uneffective in the films, but hardly very good music on its own.

Really? The best standalone music from any of the films? You know that from 30 second samples?

Really? The best standalone music from any of the films? You know that from 30 second samples?

Yep. Of course I assume it doesn't turn into The Kingdom or Wanted outside of those clips. Elfman is usually pretty consistent within each different score to remain in a certain style.

So The Kingdom sucks, huh? I should check it out to see just how bad it is.

Oh. No symphony orchestra. Yes, I understand why this music is utterly awful.

I just find it to be too boring, and I never liked that "guitar sound" that happens to permeate the entire score. You might like it, but I personally consider it to be Danny Elfman's worst score, ever. But it had to happen sometime, and Danny Elfman is the better for it, if that makes sense.

EDIT: By the way, some longer samples, as well as a preliminary review.

I just find it to be too boring, and I never liked that "guitar sound" that happens to permeate the entire score. You might like it, but I personally consider it to be Danny Elfman's worst score, ever. But it had to happen sometime, and Danny Elfman is the better for it, if that makes sense.

I don't like it. I think it's terrible, but not because of the synths. It's because Elfman doesn't know how to use synths all that well. As for that guitar sound, it was just basically a very similar take on HZ's Broken Arrow theme.

I like Logan's Run! It's not the synth. It's just that listening to it on its own, it doesn't illicit a response in me. I probably would have thought it worked in the movie if I bothered to see it, but doing it non orchestral was probably a stylistic choice more than anything done to support the dramatic narrative. You look at the 60's and you have a bunch of Mancini-esque scores - you look at the 00's and you have a bunch of rhythmic/rock/synth based kind of scores - don't really know what to call it. Of course you can make a good film score that way if the function is mainly to help set the pace, but as music, I much prefer Danny's main style which utilizes a wider pallette of melody, harmony and texture. Also, the sound of an orchestra is very beautiful and deep compared to electronics.

By the way, what is with all the people thinking there's something so wrong with preferring one style over another these days? It is film music, but also MUSIC, and people have their tastes, SO SORRY TO SAY!

Is this just another "This is not your father's __________" movement? Lame.

I really like those samples. It sounds almost exactly how I imagined it actually, and the album seems a good length to avoid a saturating listen.

The action tracks are a bit hard to judge by samples though.

I like Logan's Run! It's not the synth. It's just that listening to it on its own, it doesn't illicit a response in me. I probably would have thought it worked in the movie if I bothered to see it, but doing it non orchestral was probably a stylistic choice more than anything done to support the dramatic narrative. You look at the 60's and you have a bunch of Mancini-esque scores - you look at the 00's and you have a bunch of rhythmic/rock/synth based kind of scores - don't really know what to call it. Of course you can make a good film score that way if the function is mainly to help set the pace, but as music, I much prefer Danny's main style which utilizes a wider pallette of melody, harmony and texture. Also, the sound of an orchestra is very beautiful and deep compared to electronics.

By the way, what is with all the people thinking there's something so wrong with preferring one style over another these days? It is film music, but also MUSIC, and people have their tastes, SO SORRY TO SAY!

Sure, jump to conclusions about culture and conformity. Whatever. I don't think The Kingdom sounded too special, but it didn't seem much worse than Elfman's most boring orchestral scores, e.g. Hellboy II. I'm all for preferring one style over another. I'm not a fan of narrow mindedly focusing on a very specific symphonic sort of idiom and thumbing my nose at the rest as if I can't even acknowledge that anybody could find any pleasure or meaning in it. I'm sorry, Jesse, but people are different. We're not all clones of you, and we're not going to start following you lockstep when we break away from the bonds of society.

Sure, jump to conclusions about culture and conformity. Whatever. I don't think The Kingdom sounded too special, but it didn't seem much worse than Elfman's most boring orchestral scores, e.g. Hellboy II. I'm all for preferring one style over another. I'm not a fan of narrow mindedly focusing on a very specific symphonic sort of idiom and thumbing my nose at the rest as if I can't even acknowledge that anybody could find any pleasure or meaning in it. I'm sorry, Jesse, but people are different. We're not all clones of you, and we're not going to start following you lockstep when we break away from the bonds of society.

You sound like much like your avatar. All you have are straw man arguments, false characterizations and bluster. I'd rather debate someone more capable. Talk to me again when you grow up.

The samples weren't that bad, but Elfman seems to get increasingly generic.

I agree that he is sounding increasingly generic. Part of that is because he does influence other composers, so many other composers sound just a little like him compared to before, but he is also dumbing his style down a little more in reaction to the industry. He's said in interviews he often starts a few drafts of each cue for the director to pick from and they rarely choose his older style.

You sound like much like your avatar. All you have are straw man arguments, false characterizations and bluster. I'd rather debate someone more capable. Talk to me again when you grow up.

Yes, I get that cop-out a lot.

My oh my. Read Harry's review of Terminator 4. It sounds just TERRIBLE

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41140

Also, check out Quint's review. Has a whole paragraph on Elfman's score in the film:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41153

My oh my. Read Harry's review of Terminator 4. It sounds just TERRIBLE

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41140

I wouldn't give him much credit. He practically called KOTCS a masterpiece.

But having seen the film I do mostly agree with Quint, except that I didn't mind Elfman's score.

Who knows. The movie seems to be very traditional. At least it should be better by all means than the bizzare 3rd one.

so they are starting taking Santaolalla into consideration to score big blockbusters?

greeeeat ;)

I'm liking this score. Haven't seen the movie yet, but standalone it's pretty good. It's way better than the rest of Elfman's recent attempts.

Initially I did not like the score to TS but I must admit I quite like it after about 10 spins.

I believe that's referred to in psychology circles as "Stockholm Syndrome."

Overall, I like the score but I'm at a loss as to why the Terminator anvil/percussion ostinato rhythm by Brad Fiedel was left off the soundtrack album. It's in the movie several times, most notably at the very beginning and right before the end credits.

Nothing wrong with an entirely new score as long as there is a nod to what has become a signature for the entire franchise. Even the Terminator TV series used it in its opening sequence for each episode. Michael Giacchino and Jerry Goldsmith and Leonard Rosenman all had the foresight to recognize that Alexander Courage's signature fanfare had become as much a part of Star Trek as any of the characters and included it in their respective scores. Elfman should have done the same here.

[As I say this, I have to wonder if maybe it wasn't Elfman's choice. Since the Fiedel theme *was* in the film, this may be a case of some sort of legal/copyright thing getting in the way of putting it on the album, which, if true, is just one more example of how our broken system of intellectual property does nothing but screw things up for everyone involved.]

I'd guess it was more that Elfman just wanted the album to be his own music

Even though I was glad it was present, it sounded awfully tacked on in the film's opening credits. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done after Elfman scored it.

I like Elfman's main theme though, and how it follows the same 6-note structure as Fiedel's.

As for the film, I pretty much agreed with Harry's review. Quite awful overall, but God bless Anton Yelchin.

I'm slowly getting addicted to Elfman's score, without having seen the film. Just ordered the CD, and that only happens when I truly feel the composer deserves it.

I'm finding I'm now buying CDs again, but that's generally only because it's often still cheaper than to download legally. The labels just haven't woken up to that yet.

Final Confrontation and Salvation are driving me round the bend, and the quieter moments are just so gripping - there isn't a dull moment for me in this score.

Yes, the album is well put together. 44 minutes is just enough. I don't miss any references to Fiedel's efforts. In fact I never thought of it as a must really. Trash music elevated by its film, to be frank. It is equal to most dull scoring nowadays. If a theme like this appeared in a new blockbuster film (with score by, say, Jablonsky or Bates) no one would notice it. The song at the end is nice, if nothing special.

Karol - who haven't seen the film yet

I wouldn't mind a little bit of Fiedelish electronic effects in Elfman's score, but I agree that Fiedel's scores on their own are rather unlistenable. The theme was stellar, though. Elfman wrote something that resembles it, but, obviously, it's not as good as the original.

But why is it good? Because it's 25 years old? I seriously don't understand what's so special about it. I mean, seriously.

Karol

If after 25 years everyone (=not just film music fans) instantly recognise that melody and know where it comes from, this must mean something. It still gives me chills, especially with that cold metal percussion beat that we can hear in Terminator 2. As for the scores, they are very effective within the context of the movie, but listening to them outside the film is a drag (especially the original one). On the other hand, I wished Transformers would have had such a score.

I don't remember this theme. I know there is one, I remember the genereal tone of it. But that's it. Maybe because I watched Terminator movies in fairly late age. Anyway, nothing iconic in my mind.

Karol

I have to say that I agree. Perhaps I was born too late for it to make an impact, but I feel nothing when I hear it, and I cannot recall a single note of the theme. Honestly, even if Elfman did reference the famous Brad Fiedel theme, I would probably not recognize it.

I have to say that I agree. Perhaps I was born too late for it to make an impact, but I feel nothing when I hear it, and I cannot recall a single note of the theme. Honestly, even if Elfman did reference the famous Brad Fiedel theme, I would probably not recognize it.

How does it make no impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQTzJgU6qc