The Mummy vs. The Phantom Menace, the battle of 1999 scores.

BLUMENKOHL

Mummy? Phantom? The Phantom of the Mummy? (SCORE SCORE SCORE! Not movies!)   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Mummy? Phantom? The Phantom of the Mummy?

• The Phantom Menace
    • The Mummy

I really have to say, I've had a Mummy sort of month, I've been listening to it inside and out since mid January....and I've also been listening to Phantom Menace.

First things first, there must have been something in the water that year, because both John and Jerry wrote, what are easily the two best scores of their modern-day careers ('1994+).

Now I will say for the longest time The Mummy was a hate thing for me. It always just sounded loud and big and obnoxious, but over time and especially with the expanded versions around, I've found all the little nuances that made it into a very complete, cohesive, and satisfying experience. The love theme is grand, the baddy theme is grand, it's all melded together with perfection. When it's loud, it gets your blood pumping, and when it's sweeping it makes your hair stand on end. It's also far more cohesive than The Phantom Menace.

I've changed my mind. The Mummy > The Phantom Menace. Slightly. But still significantly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting because I remember all the discussion over these two scores when they first came out. The Phantom Menace is the better music. But The Mummy is the more enjoyable score for me.

It's also worth noting that The Mummy is widely known to be a project that Goldsmith HATED scoring. It's also why he didn't return for the sequel. Williams, on the other hand, was very excited to revisit the Star Wars saga. So the mind-set of the two composers was night and day.

Goldsmith scored the Mummy like a trashy B-movie (which it was) while Williams scored TPM like a symphony. Truth be told, the Star Wars movie was only marginally more interesting than The Mummy. But the approaches seem to explain why, while I appreciate the excellence and quality of the music in TPM, it comes across also as a bit stuffy and too pseudo-classical while The Mummy is edgier, sillier and somehow more fun to listen to.

But in the end TPM is the better score. Now the 13th Warrior makes it a tighter match IMO.

I listen to the Mummy much more often.

I like both scores alot, but the Mummy engages me more.

I would say The Mummy is a tad more original as far as the music goes

Mulan action music, 13th warrior?

cliched middle eastern sound?

Phantom menace by a lightyear.

I don't think either one of these scores wins a prize for originality. My main problem with The Phantom Menace is that it seems more like a concert of individual set pieces than a film score. And while each piece is thrilling in it's own right the whole fails to generate much dramatic punch. The effect is even more so because the film and score take themselves so seriously. The expanded Ultimate Edition just amplifies the point.

The Mummy, while goofier and lighter in tone, is far less self-assuming and is just a more fun ride and for all its cornball adventure and innocence seems a little more dramatically accessible.

I would say The Mummy is a tad more original as far as the music goes

Mulan action music, 13th warrior?

cliched middle eastern sound?

Phantom menace by a lightyear.

It's still more original.

Although 'Episode I' has a lot going for it, too. I'd say they were both underrated when they came out.

I find the action and epic cues in The Mummy more engaging, while the underscore type cues in TPM are a little more listenable.

The Mummy it is.

With the story of Goldsmith hating scoring it, I heard slightly differently: that Sommers forced him to stay in a hotel for several weeks and write lots more music than was originally spotted, and Goldsmith didn't feel was necessary. I hope someone has a more concrete idea of what happened.

I find the action and epic cues in The Mummy more engaging, while the underscore type cues in TPM are a little more listenable.

The Mummy it is.

With the story of Goldsmith hating scoring it, I heard slightly differently: that Sommers forced him to stay in a hotel for several weeks and write lots more music than was originally spotted, and Goldsmith didn't feel was necessary. I hope someone has a more concrete idea of what happened.

That is what happened. Afterwards, he complained about the pooty movie which certainly was one of the more bizarre incidents in the film music realm, considering his filmography. I guess the once humble Sommers didn't treat him very well so that was the end of that.

The Mummy it is.

That is what happened. Afterwards, he complained about the pooty movie which certainly was one of the more bizarre incidents in the film music realm, considering his filmography. I guess the once humble Sommers didn't treat him very well so that was the end of that.

Didn't he publicly call out his experience on the movie at a pre-concert Q and A in London? I seem to remember something like that. Sommers got wind of it and that was that.

Didn't he publicly call out his experience on the movie at a pre-concert Q and A in London? I seem to remember something like that. Sommers got wind of it and that was that.

I doubt that it mattered much if Sommers 'got wind'. Goldsmith was 70, sick and not lacking ego, he would've told Sommers where to shove 'Mummy Returns'.

I doubt that it mattered much if Sommers 'got wind'. Goldsmith was 70, sick and not lacking ego, he would've told Sommers where to shove 'Mummy Returns'.

If he didn't I'm sure he most certainly would have. :sigh:

The Phantom Menace, but that probably has a lot to do with sentimental value, as it was among some of my very first "favorite" scores back when I was still very new to film music.

to me this is still pretty much a win win situation,

mmm, many TPM voters did not left a message, while most of the Mummy's did. Looking at the posts one would think this was JGFan.com.

Anyway, I just can't picture how something called a flawed masterpiece from its detractors is worse than Jerry Goldsmith autopilot score in his late years.

to me this is still pretty much a win win situation,

mmm, many TPM voters did not left a message, while most of the Mummy's did. Looking at the posts one would think this was JGFan.com.

Anyway, I just can't picture how something called a flawed masterpiece from its detractors is worse than Jerry Goldsmith autopilot score in his late years.

Don't count me among those calling either of these masterpieces.

COME ON. Really.

Why would I come on? You spout some Yoda nonsense and then don't bother backing yourself up...and I'm somehow supposed to say Yes Yes! The Mummy is an autopilot score?

than Jerry Goldsmith autopilot score in his late years.

...The Mummy is on auto-pilot?

Please, do explain.

COME ON. Really.

explain, you don't hesitate to call me out when you think I'm being hard on a score.

If The Mummy is just Goldsmith on autopilot, isn't The Phantom Menace just another late 1990s blase Williams tone poem with cut and paste Star Wars moments and cookie cutter main titles and end credits suite?

than Jerry Goldsmith autopilot score in his late years.

...The Mummy is on auto-pilot?

Please, do explain.

COME ON. Really.

explain, you don't hesitate to call me out when you think I'm being hard on a score.

COME ON. Really.

Why would I come on? You spout some Yoda nonsense and then don't bother backing yourself up...and I'm somehow supposed to say Yes Yes! The Mummy is an autopilot score?

Both...of you... Tomorrow :P

I do wish people would elaborate on why they think or feel they way they do about something rather than just making absolute statements about it. It just helps others understand where you're coming from. Of course it's all personal opinion but at least try to put it objectively so that it's not JUST an opinion.

And why is it always an either/or thing around here?

Yes , lost them after heard this mediocre score.

you really think TPM is mediocre, how sad

The Phantom Menace. The Mummy is a very good score but I prefer TPM. JW was in great musical shape in 1999 with TPM and Angela's Ashes. There is something fresh and something that hearkens back to the OT in Episode I score which makes it a joy to listen to from start to finish. And it is also a score that benefits from a complete presentation just like The Mummy.

I am actually very unfamiliar with The Mummy, so I will abstain from voting.

You should have just linked him to some of The Mummy music minus any visuals.

That scene in ROTJ is a poor choice because they made a wise decision originally to leave the scene unscored once the actual chase began.

COME ON. Really.

You spout some Yoda nonsense and then don't bother backing yourself up...and I'm somehow supposed to say Yes Yes!

lacking in quality, the Mummy score is.

:P

I am actually very unfamiliar with The Mummy, so I will abstain from voting.

All that proved to me was the only one person was meant to score the Star Wars Saga: John Williams