The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

19 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I know this is a very wide question, but does anyone have in mind any score for a dream sequence, possibly going nightmarish at the end?

style: classical orchestral from 80s and on...

if it's a religious themed film even better...

Try this:

Ok, I have another (well, more specific) challenge for you @Thor (or anyone else who'd like to contribute).

Something sad, very delicate and fragile piece with a dreamy quality?

Pieces I'm thinking of:

first minute of:

Try "Santoni's Compassion", or the more melancholy stuff from THE RIVER.

"Dee In Brentwood" might be suitable, or it might be a bit too jazzy.

The first part of "The Search Continues"?

"Sad Goodbyes" might work.

Something from DAMIEN: OMEN II? The first part of "I Love You, Mark"?

13 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Try "Santoni's Compassion", or the more melancholy stuff from THE RIVER.

"Dee In Brentwood" might be suitable, or it might be a bit too jazzy.

The first part of "The Search Continues"?

"Sad Goodbyes" might work.

Something from DAMIEN: OMEN II? The first part of "I Love You, Mark"?

Sorry, none fits the bill.

One is too atonal, the other is too tonal etc. :lol:

I wonder if Desplat or Morricone have anything.

(they have written so many scores, that I don't know them)

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What about the thunderstorm cue, from HEARTBEEPS?

Well, in normal circumstances it would fit, but not now..

Ok, I'm officially stuck. I'm trying to write a demo for a day and a half, for a middle-eastern religious dream sequence, and everything I try doesn't work..

I don't know what to do. :| (hence the questions)

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How about something from "Passion"?

I've listened these days to every possible religious score (including this and some unknown scores from a TV Bible series - not the Zimmer/Balfe one).

But.. still I'm stuck..

17 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, I have another (well, more specific) challenge for you @Thor (or anyone else who'd like to contribute).

Something sad, very delicate and fragile piece with a dreamy quality?

Preisner is always a good opportunity. "Aslak's Dream" from SKYGGENES DAL (that entire score, btw). FORGOTTEN WE'LL BE, THE SECRET GARDEN?

Lotsa Vangelis, but maybe that's too electronic for you?

Maybe also something from CLOSE (Hadjadj)? Some Tom Newman (LITTLE CHILDREN)? ABSOLUTION (McKeon, a bit of el guitars)? WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD (Guthrie & Budd, a bit of el guitars)? RIchard Robbins? LOREAK (Gaigne)?, something Söderqvist (KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND, BROTHERS....).

Sorry I couldn't be more specific today, I'm a bit strapped for time myself and can't do the usual thoroughness. :)

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Well, in normal circumstances it would fit, but not now..

Ok, I'm officially stuck. I'm trying to write a demo for a day and a half, for a middle-eastern religious dream sequence, and everything I try doesn't work..

I don't know what to do. :| (hence the questions)

Did you check out Williams score for Munich? This might contain something for you. Especially one of the vocalized tracks?

And when it comes to religious touch you might try some Morricone. Almost all is lyrical themes seem to have a some kind of pastoral religious touch.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Did you check out Williams score for Munich? This might contain something for you. Especially one of the vocalized tracks?

Yeah, I had thought of that myself but unfortunately there isn't the budget to use live players. Only samples.

And I can't use even solo violin or cello that I wanted. Those sound awful with samples...

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Preisner is always a good opportunity. "Aslak's Dream" from SKYGGENES DAL (that entire score, btw). FORGOTTEN WE'LL BE, THE SECRET GARDEN?

Yeah, he's too minimalistic for my taste. And I've already have taken another approach.

28 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Still stuck in the dream sequence!:(

The temp track in the scene I must score is this (from 0.30'' and on), but I think neither that works..

That segment reminds me of Thomas Newman's more ethereal cues.

29 minutes ago, thx99 said:

That segment reminds me of Thomas Newman's more ethereal cues.

I wonder if any series has something similar. I don't generally listen to series' soundtracks..

So, I made that demo for an upcoming project, and while they liked it, they want it to have a more byzantine color.

I don't suppose there is a soundtrack like this, is there? @Thor

They sent me this video to be inspired:

I guess I should check this score also?

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/95231/Conquest+1453

That's pretty "hardcore" Byzantine right there, so something like ALEXANDER or GLADIATOR would be too watered out for this purpose, I suppose. Not sure I immediately have something that would fit exactly. Many I've already mentioned to you before -- things like Rosenthal's MEETINGS WITH REMARKABLE MEN, Rahman's MUHAMMED: THE MESSENGER OF GOD, Rahman's THE FAKIR OF VENICE, Barnaby Taylor's WILD ARABIA, Revell's CHILDREN OF DUNE, Howard Shore's ROSEWATER, Johan Söderqvist's BROTHERS, Junkie XL's THREE THOUSAND YEARS OF LONGING, Badelt's QUEEN OF THE DESERT, Michael Brook's JOURNEY TO MECCA and JERUSALEM, Mychael Danna's ARARAT, Vangelis' EL GRECO (studio album)..... And it's not the whole scores, but rather individual tracks within them that would qualify.

I love indigenous music, but not usually when it's as hardcore as in your clip. I tend to prefer scores that incorporate them into various blends.

Yeah, I've heard most of those but they feature mostly Arabian music I presume (maybe that's why I wrote something that evoked Egypt. Haha).

I'll check that El Greco album. I don't remember it.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Revell's CHILDREN OF DUNE

You've mentioned this again.

Do you mean Revell's DUNE, or Tyler's CHILDREN OF DUNE?

20 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I've heard most of those but they feature mostly Arabian music I presume (maybe that's why I wrote something that evoked Egypt. Haha).

I'll check that El Greco album. I don't remember it.

Yeah, I just relistened to the album myself, and I must be misremembering, because there wasn't really anything there that was close enough. But anyways...at least these come pretty close:

But I'm guessing a duduk or various other regional instruments won't do. It's that specific, zither-like instrument you're after, right?

9 hours ago, Thor said:

But I'm guessing a duduk or various other regional instruments won't do. It's that specific, zither-like instrument you're after, right?

Well, It's not the instruments I'm after, it's the type of composition/style I'm after. And I don't know anything about byzantine music, although we had some courses in Musicology at the university.

I thought of another example, and I sent it to them. It sounded like having a byzantine color to them:

By the way, I just finished that El Greco album. That one had also some byzantine-like music, more than the examples that you posted above.

But anyway, thanks for trying to help.

What about WILD SALOMÉ by Jeff Beal, K? Listening to that now, all the tracks surrounding King Herod definitely have a Byzantine vibe.

On 20/10/2023 at 3:51 PM, Thor said:

What about WILD SALOMÉ by Jeff Beal, K? Listening to that now, all the tracks surrounding King Herod definitely have a Byzantine vibe.

Ah, I'll listen to it, thanks.

By the way, I got the job!! :) But, they sent me more of inspiration videos, and apart from some film music pieces from Prince of Egypt and Joseph King of Dreams, most are original byzantine hymns!:(

I am still not sure how am I supposed to "convert" them to film music. This has not happened again to my knowledge.

My resources on Byzantine/antiquitity music is pretty much exhausted at this point (I tend to go Arabic anyway, when I attempt to recommend -- always plenty of duduk!), but when you say 'Greek', do you also think of your own country's folk music heritage...you know, Zorba-type music and that kind of thing?

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

but when you say 'Greek', do you also think of your own country's folk music heritage...you know, Zorba-type music and that kind of thing?

No. Ancient Greek music hasn't got much to do with current folk music.

I'm searching for source cues for 2-3 instruments, eg. lyre, lute, flute etc. which would be heard in a house/villa..

I started a similad thread at FSM.

That Mime cue from MASADA someone suggested, fitted somewhat the bill.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why don't you come up with your own sound that fits the task?

I am not sure what do you mean...

I just wanted to see how such cues sound like.

How could I create ancient Greek music without having any clue?

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Go back in time, write music, it will now be ancient Greek music ;)

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Nobody knows, so you just have to come up with something that sounds plausible. :)

I remember being fascinated when I first heard about the Hurrian Hymn, a stone tablet found in the 50s that had a 3400-year-old song notated on it, in its own notation style.

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is a good thread.

Do we have any idea what ancient Roman, Greek, or Egyptian music sounded like?

I have listened to this album.

Supposedly this Halaris, has done an extensive research on ancient Greek music.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is a good thread.

Do we have any idea what ancient Roman, Greek, or Egyptian music sounded like?

There is also this worth a listen.  These are war trumpets, so not necessarily pleasant music such as celebratory or incidental music.  There are quite a few recordings of pharaonic era music played on recreated instruments.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nobody knows, so you just have to come up with something that sounds plausible. :)

As far as I know, there are few records (no, not the vinyl kind…) that show us what ancient Greek music sounded like. It's ancient Roman music that's seemingly vanished without a trace - which supposedly is why Rozsa used the Greek model as the basis for his Roman cues.