The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

I believe it's those 4 notes at the beginning of "Raptor Attack". It also finishes off the End Credits in a very creepy fashion.

I think he was reffering to the Carnivore Motif from TLW, which is similar to the one from JP but different. You can hear it here at 2:25, the horns play it under the trumpet hits:

Awesome track by the way. My favorite from that score.

And everytime I hear that cue I think at 1:32, Williams went a little over the top with that rhythmic minor chords.

That part osunds like the Raptors are jamming and dancing to some jaunty swing-bigband number, like Sing, Sing, Sing!

I love that part, actually. It is the perfect conjuring of the jungle adventure sound. If anything, it reminds me of the jazzy jungle music from the old Johnny Quest cartoons.

That's one of the reasons I prefer TLW over JP at times, Williams' approach was different compared to the more straightforward first score.

I love that part, actually. It is the perfect conjuring of the jungle adventure sound. If anything, it reminds me of the jazzy jungle music from the old Johnny Quest cartoons.

Agreed. That part is great precisely because it's so jazzy! :)

Here's a question about Goldsmith's Patton. I never felt that the Patton/Tora Tora Tora release had the same punch as the old Patton LP. Has the recording from the LP seen a modern release?

Funny, I read this just as I'm listening to the samples of the original release thinking it doesn't pack the same punch as the re-recording.

And yet I kinda feel the opposite about aspects of the Conan re-recording.

I guess it's just a matter of which one you're used to.

Does anybody know if the music used in this commercial for Disneyland was taken from an expanded suite of the Small World theme, or is this all that exists? It's wonderful. (And by "anybody," I mean Datameister ;) )

I'm not really sure...it's not something I've heard elsewhere. My guess is that it was recorded specifically for this advertising campaign, and it's entirely possible that it's longer than the commercial, but it's probably just more of the same sort of stuff.

I quite like that commercial, by the way. I'm not a huge fan of the cheesy, infantile way Disney tends to market its parks these days, but this one works for me.

Is there a good online music store where they offer you lossless downloads instead of all that AAC en MP3 crap?

:)

I love the Bandcamp concept - everything there is available in a multitude of formats, including FLAC, often at a price chosen by the buyer. Unfortunately, they're not a general purpose store, you'll only find artists there who deliberately put their own stuff on Bandcamp.

Not much constructive help, I'm afraid, but I hope their way is the future.

Thanks for the Bandcamp link, interesting for sure, though not for OSTs obviously.

I did find two stores that sell lossless downloads:

the Rhino store, and Qobuz.

What do you mean? Like, a cue in the film that uses the main melody without that trumpet motif, or a mix of the concert suite without the trumpets? I highly doubt the latter exists, and the former basically doesn't. There are some unreleased variations that use it differently, but it's still there.

What do you mean? Like, a cue in the film that uses the main melody without that trumpet motif, or a mix of the concert suite without the trumpets? I highly doubt the latter exists, and the former basically doesn't. There are some unreleased variations that use it differently, but it's still there.

I mean those "Da-da-da-da-dadadada", sorry for the lack of a better word ;) And what about those alternates? Are they better than the concert version?

Could there be a version without the chorus?

I think there was an edit out there, but I believe there isn't one that's official.

Okay, we're talking about the same motif, haha. ;) The other cues I mentioned aren't alternates...they just weren't included on the CD. In the film, the final duel is scored by these cues in this order:

* "Heroes Collide" - basically just "Anakin vs. Obi-wan" with a few extra bits here and there.

* "Duel of the Fates" - duh. :P Tracked from TPM.

* "Yoda Falls" - a quick, non-thematic transition into...

* "The Boys Continue" - starts with a trombone variation on the BotH melody that includes a variation on the trumpet motif we're talking about. Then quiet music as Palpatine plots after his duel with Yoda, then almost apocalyptic statements of BotH (including the trumpet motif) as Anakin and Obi-wan continue to fight.

* "Yoda to Exile" - short, quiet, and gloomy, with Yoda's theme in a minor key. Big transition into...

* "Revenge of the Sith" - the version of BotH from the end credits, i.e. the concert suite without the intro and ending.

As for whether they're better...I really love both parts of "The Boys Continue", but I wouldn't necessarily consider them better than the concert suite. Just different.

And I've never heard a true choir-less version of the original recording of the concert suite, sadly. It'd be theoretically possible - there's a brief moment in the film when the choir track drops out, and you just hear the orchestra - but if it's out there, I haven't heard it. Just other recordings.

How reputable/legit/etc. is a place called Quartet Records, out of Spain, I think? They look legit, just haven't heard of them before.

Anyway, reason I'm asking is...

Yellowbeard

Always had a soft spot for this film, plus it had a nice swashbuckling soundtrack from Mel Brooks' usual composer John Morris.

When I watch R.D.'s "Superman II", I hear stuff which is on the c.d.s for "Superman", but not in the original "Superman" film.

My question is: how much music did J.W. have a chance to compose for "S II", in 1978; how much (if any) was then re-used for "Superman", and how much was "held over", intending it to be used for "S II"? Based on what is heard on the soundtrack to R.D.'s "S II", has the score been re-formatted into into what could be described as a soundtrack album? Given that the making of the two films was a logical, and artistic (not to mention legal) plate of spaghetti, perhaps we will never know what was written for what. Hope this makes my original question clearer. If you want me to simplify it further...please don't ask (wishes there was an "exhausted" emoticon).

Williams never composed any new music for Superman II.

The Donner cut uses some of the alternates from the Superman score that Williams recorded. Ken Thorne also used some of the alternate material in his score for Superman II.

John Williams composed a full complete score to Superman.

After Superman 1 was released, Richard Donner was fired by the Salkinds, and John Williams, Marlon Brando, and Gene Hackman went with him. As a result, the score to Superman II was composed by Ken Thorne, however it is essentially entirely made up of JW's score to Superman 1, chopped up and moved around (but then completely re-recorded). Some of the stuff he recorded were alternates not used in Superman 1 (the film or the original OST).

When it came time to assembled the Richard Donner cut of Superman II, they took out Ken Thorne's score then re-scored the entire film, using bits from JW's Superman 1 score and bits from Ken Thorne's Superman II score in new configurations.

If you buy FSM's blue box, you get everything.

John Williams composed a full complete score to Superman.

After Superman 1 was released, Richard Donner was fired by the Salkinds, and John Williams, Marlon Brando, and Gene Hackman went with him. As a result, the score to Superman II was composed by Ken Thorne, however it is essentially entirely made up of JW's score to Superman 1, chopped up and moved around (but then completely re-recorded). Some of the stuff he recorded were alternates not used in Superman 1 (the film or the original OST).

When it came time to assembled the Richard Donner cut of Superman II, they took out Ken Thorne's score then re-scored the entire film, using bits from JW's Superman 1 score and bits from Ken Thorne's Superman II score in new configurations.

If you buy FSM's blue box, you get everything.

Thank you for that, Jason. I have the Blue Box, and very nice it is, too. Just one very "nit-picking-y" question: technically, as both Hackman, and Brando had completed their filming, were they "fired"?

I do know that the cast went on a sort of stirke in a show of solidarity toward Donner, but the Salkinds "leaned" heavily on Reeve, and he was the first to go back to work. I know this because a few years ago, I had a very interesting conversation with someone who had worked on both films.

I didn't say the others were fired; Just that Donner was.

From what I understand, Brando wanted more money if they were going to use the scenes they had already shot and intended to be in Superman II, and the Salkinds refused to pay him and filmed new scenes with Lara instead.

Also from what I understand, Gene Hackman didn't return to film new scenes with Richard Lester, so a body double was used (only seen from behind) for anything new they needed for Superman II.

But Christopher Reeves and Margot Kidder (and other minor characters) did not mind returning and did film new scenes with Richard Lester.

EDIT: Wikipedia says "Gene Hackman, Valerie Perrine, Ned Beatty and Marlon Brando are the only actors who didn't participate in the film's reshoots. Their scenes in Lester's version (with the exception of Brando) were portrayed with body doubles."

I believe they (Lester) even re-filmed the scenes at the beginning of Superman II, using a hand double, that were from Superman of Brando's hands placing young Kal-El and the crystal in the spaceship.

BuySoundTrax would be out of business if bad cases were the rule, not the exceptions. Still, avoid them unless they're offering an exclusive. And even then, it might be unlicensed or made from a bootleg.

If there for sure exists a legitimate version of the soundtrack that is on the brink of selling out, is there a chance that I could get a CDR instead of the actual product? I'm talking about Heidi.

Something I wanted to know for a while now about the exchange rate: if you pre-order something and your card gets charged when it ships:

what counts? the exchange rate on the day you ordered it, or the exchange rate on the date it gets charged?

And same question if one uses PayPal.