What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

She was a wonderful character. When you have a character as strong and well played as Sherlock Holmes it can be tough to stand out without stretching too far. Irene Adler was a well written foil.

Btw: imagine having to wait two years to see the resolution of the Season 1 cliffhanger.

And then another two to see the resolution of season 2's!

There's a one-off special airing on New Year's Day (in both the UK and US), and its set in Victorian times rather than modern day. It's not connected to the main storyline or continuity at all, its just a one-off.

Season 4 is set to air in January 2017.

Officially caught up on Sherlock. Another great finale, though I was a bit let down by the villain in the end. He was being built up so effectively and things just petered out at the end. I get that Sherlock was outmaneuvered which ultimately led to an act of sheer desperation on his part to protect his friends, and the point was probably to show Sherlock react in a purely emotional and vulnerable way instead of an intellectual one, but the last 10 minutes still felt a bit weak compared to the rest of the episode.

I just noticed that the January special, "The Abominable Bride", is going to be made available in theaters on the 5th and 6th. I wish it wasn't so expensive but I'll probably be picking up a ticket. It's playing in my area.

I have no problem with that, it's just that Brown has to be Llloyd! Great Scott, I am appaled.

It's that kind of puritanicalism that inhibits people from experiencing potentially good stories. If I had that kind of attitude, I never would have enjoyed The Real Ghostbusters.

watch-damon-lindelofs-hbo-pilot-for-the-

The Leftovers, Season 1

What a fascinating piece of television. Occasionally frustrating, often flawed, but fascinating nonetheless. The premise, being that 2% of the world's population has disappeared in a rapture-like event labelled "The Sudden Departure", is used to create another Twin Peaks-style look at a town with interweaving plot-lines and character portraits. The show never bothers to answer the big question and likes to tease, with what I can only assume are very "Lost-like" clues, but the show surprisingly focuses more on the characters. It took me a while to understand what kind of story the show was exactly trying to tell. It kept leading you one way, and then thwarting your expectations with a sudden left turn. For the first couple of episodes, it was like watching a series of vignettes on some excellent characters and intriguing plot devices, but all without saying a whole lot.

It came together as the season progressed though, and this was clearly a show about broken people while being a study of depression. It sounds bleak, and at times it certainly was, but I think it managed to pull it off without its existentialist questions being too overbearing. Two of its best episodes are intimate character portraits (Nora Durst and the priest), while the rest explores other characters and the nuanced cultural effects of an event like this. And it was all...fascinating really.

Plenty of meandering plot-lines though. The Holy Wayne story with Tommy and the girl was mostly limp. The Guilty Remnant was definitely interesting, but hard to understand in their purpose. The last 20 min of the season finale was thrilling to watch, even though the episode dragged too much to get there. And I'm not sure how I feel about everyone's issues being wrapped up so quickly like that, though I did like the more optimistic ending (the broken Garveys become whole again). Ann Dowd (as Patti) is a fucking revelation in this show. So is Carrie Coon (as Norah) and Amy Brenneman (as Laurie). The former really brought out Norah's pain in every spoken word, while the latter emanates how broken she is without saying a single word! Seeing Laurie's life previous to the Departure event was sharp but welcome change to give perspective on the character. The rest of the cast ranges from solid to quite good as well.

Also, special mention needs to go to Max Richter's minimalist but moving score. This show wouldn't even be half as effective without Richter's Glass-style minimalist piano theme, or the emotional adagios that conclude nearly every episode. It did start to get repetitive and at times overbearing, but effective nonetheless. I think some of Richter's other work was also used in the context. I wonder if there's an album...

Overall, I'm really glad I checked out this show. I mean it's far from perfect, but it's bold, intriguing and full of potential. It's very heavy, and at times quite ambiguous. But does all TV need to be straightforward and optimistic? I like the topics explored here, so I think what it tries to do is justified. I heard the second season is tighter and even better. I think I'll check it out sooner rather than later!

I agree with everything.

It might sound strange but The Leftovers reminded me of The Walking Dead, only more mature and without the need for monsters or other apocalyptic images.

Alex

The show never bothers to answer the big question and likes to tease, with what I can only assume are very "Lost-like" clues, but the show surprisingly focuses more on the characters.

Don't forget that the first season of Lost was nearly entirely focused on characters.

The Leftovers is an interesting case. It's hardly on my list of top or must see shows, but it's an interesting concept, and when it's really good, it IS really good.

I have yet to start the second season. Has anyone read the book? Apparently the first season covers the entire book, which makes me wonder how close it is, considering it has some very loose ends.

I agree with everything.

It might sound strange but The Leftovers reminded me of The Walking Dead, only more mature and without the need for monsters or other apocalyptic images.

Alex

I agree. And The Leftovers demands more of the viewer, which I kind of prefer.

I have yet to start the second season. Has anyone read the book? Apparently the first season covers the entire book, which makes me wonder how close it is, considering it has some very loose ends.

I heard the book shares some of the same weaknesses. But yes, the second season is completely original material.

And I never watched Lost. That's why I said, I can only assume.

I have no problem with that, it's just that Brown has to be Llloyd! Great Scott, I am appaled.

It's that kind of puritanicalism that inhibits people from experiencing potentially good stories. If I had that kind of attitude, I never would have enjoyed The Real Ghostbusters.

Which is canon, The Real Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II? Neither can exist in the same universe.

Which is canon, The Real Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II? Neither can exist in the same universe.

They are each their own separate canon.

The show never bothers to answer the big question and likes to tease, with what I can only assume are very "Lost-like" clues, but the show surprisingly focuses more on the characters.

Don't forget that the first season of Lost was nearly entirely focused on characters.

The Leftovers is an interesting case. It's hardly on my list of top or must see shows, but it's an interesting concept, and when it's really good, it IS really good.

The second season of The Leftovers, so far, is a masterpiece, and likely to be one of my favorite seasons of television ever. I'd be interested in what you think when you catch up.

It is interesting that it is all divergent from the book, since Tom Perrotta is hugely involved in the writing of the second season, so I suppose it is a "canonical" continuation.

I agree. And The Leftovers demands more of the viewer, which I kind of prefer.

Well, yes. My kid likes The Walking Dead, but I doubt he could stand an entire episode of The Leftovers. I'm not sure if I would call it demanding, but as with Mad Men, you do you need a certain age or ripeness to appreciate what The Leftovers is about. If you don't, then this is a show where nothing happens and that doesn't go anywhere. I saw Lost (for a couple of seasons) but that show has more than enough erotism, mystery and tension to titillate the easily bored. That's why I think The Leftovers is quite different.

Alex

Speaking of Mad Men, what's the general consensus on the first part of Season 7? I watched season 6 two or three years ago and have a hard time remembering how things were left off, but two eps into season 7 and its been incredibly uninteresting so far. Don't know if I can continue.

I don't think many here are watching that show, but looking at the score over at Metacritic, I think it's safe to assume that critics still seem to enjoy the "incredibly uninteresting". I know I liked it but it took me some time before I got into that particular Mad Men groove again. During the first two episodes, it felt like I missed a part.

Alex

The Last Kingdom

I'm watched about 4 episodes of this so far.

Following a good start, it wobbled a bit on the second episode (if memory serves) but got into gear again in subsequent ones. It is based on existing novels, set in the era of the Saxons and Danes. The actor David Dawson who plays Alfred, is particularly good, especially in the way he speaks to interesting effect. He portrays a sickly frail man with a ruthless and cold intelligence whos strategy is unfolding in each new episode. Historians arel tearing it apart for costumes and other things of course, but it is a good watch nonetheless.

Damn, I keep reading how season 2 of The Leftovers is one of the best things made for TV ever (and it's coming from people who had their reservations about Season 1). I can hardly wait because I'm so series-less at the moment!

Alex

Wheel of Fortune is almost always the show that's aired right after Jeopardy. It's a cool down for your brain. Jeopardy is difficult and gives your brain a hard time, while Wheel of Fortune is just dumb letter guessing. Vanna has the most pointless job on TV since the invention of touchscreens.