• 2 stars
    • 1 star
  2. 2. Rate Stepmom, the score

• 5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 star

Is it really that bad? I don't think so.

Granted, it's not Star Wars (or even Home Alone), but it's a decent sentimental family movie, for sue. And the score is kinda soothing, relaxing... not what you'd expect from JW, but then, the Star Wars brass fanfares would probably have been out of place in this one.

3 stars: movie

4 stars: score

Your opinion?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the movie for what it is; I love a good tearjerker, though.

As for the score: I bought it back in high school, before I really matured as a film score enthusiast. I was bored with it and frustrated that the first track wasn't the typical "main theme" I was used to with my John Williams scores. I ended up selling the album due to lack of interest.

Several years later when I began collecting anything and everything JW ever wrote, I picked this album back up. And I have fallen in love with this score. It is, for me, the musical encapsulation of the warm spirit present at Christmas. The guitar solos are absolutely gorgeous, and the track "Taking Pictures" is one of my all-time favorite JW tracks. It really is a beautiful score that warrants several listens.

For me, this score trumps other similarly "understated" efforts by the maestro such as Stanley and Iris and The Accidental Tourist.

4 stars!

And I have fallen in love with this score. It is, for me, the musical encapsulation of the warm spirit present at Christmas.

Yes, it is somewhat a companion to the Home Alone score. It represents the more quiet, more peaceful, warmer side of Christmas...

I haven't seen the movie, I like the score - 4 for JW.

I second.

'Christmas Quilt' and 'Taking Pictures' are among the best of post 1994 JW.

Love 'The Days Between'. Not terribly taken with the rest. But absolutely love the autumnal feel of the theme.

Oh, missed the film question. 1 star. It's typical Columbus, attached to a particularly bad combination of concept/script/casting. Near perfect mediocre stupid tear-jerker.

"The Days Between" is beautiful, but I'm not familiar with any else including the movie.

Never did see the film, although I sure do remember seeing the trailer a lot back in the day. I'll listen to the score again to get it fresh on my mind, but on the spot, I'd give it 4 stars.

"Ben's Antics" is boilerplate mickey-mousing, and the second portion of "The Soccer Game" is lifted stylistically from Sleepers (in the way the second portion of "Grave Robbers" belongs more to The Lost World: Jurassic Park than it does to Indiana Jones), but the rest of Stepmom is cozily lovely. "The Days Between," of course, is the highlight -- as Morlock suggested, it has a starkly autumnal feel that makes it stand apart from other similarly sentimental pieces in the Williams canon.

I wouldn't watch it again, but I enjoyed the film, as far as heavy-handed melodramas go.

Is it really that bad? I don't think so.

Granted, it's not Star Wars (or even Home Alone)

This film is definitely better than Home Alone.

I give the score four stars , though there are cues so lovely(days between etc.)

that they almost lift this score worth of 5 stars.Almost.

Oh, missed the film question. 1 star. It's typical Columbus, attached to a particularly bad combination of concept/script/casting. Near perfect mediocre stupid tear-jerker.

You seem to have a VERY low opinion of CC. But the point is, this is NOT typical Columbus.

I admire Home Alone 1+2, Ms. Doubtfire, and Harry Potter 1+2. Stepmom is VERY different from those movies...

Film: 1 star

Score: 3 stars

The person who gave the movie 4 stars should be put on a bus (you know, that bus that has no brakes and that runs down the hill). :lol:

Alex

I gave the film a 2. Something was missing from it that could have made it a very good film.

The score I'd give somehere around a 3 or 4. It has some lovely moments and Morlock and Alan are correct in their assessments.

Are there reallyonly people who like the "The Days Between" track? Its the weakest of the guitar tracks on the album IMO.

It's not horrible. It is a 3 star movie. It's just pretty melancholy and pointless, though it is somewhat effective at getting across the melancholy part.

5 stars movie. A good tear-jerker.

5 stars score. One of John Williams' finest and one of my personal favourites.

This movie annoys me, mostly because Susan Sarandon and Julia Roberts annoy me.

Susan Sarandon is OK, but I can't stand Julia Roberts...

You seem to have a VERY low opinion of CC. But the point is, this is NOT typical Columbus.

I admire Home Alone 1+2, Ms. Doubtfire, and Harry Potter 1+2. Stepmom is VERY different from those movies...

I think that Columbus is a workman. No vision whatsoever. He'll put whatever is on the page onto the screen. It can make for decent entertainement, and it can make for quite terrible entertainment. But mediocrity is his forte. In these, Stepmom is absolutely no different than any other film of his. Though really, the main failing of the film is in it's script, not it's direction. It's performances don't help much either.

I'll give the score 4 stars and I have not seen the film safe a few snippets.

The score in its entirety is lovely with a slight dreamy, warm and melancholy edge apart from the cues of comedy and antics of the kids. One of those scores that evokes the autumn when I hear it. Especially the Days Between development of the main theme is beautiful with that long almost poetic oboe solo, Time Spins Its Webs is almost hypnotic and sounds refreshingly different, Jackie and Isabel contains the loveliest guitar version of the main theme, Jackie's Secret convey's at first warmth with an oboe solo but then turns delicately sad and melancholy with a feel of uncertainty and Bonding has beautiful piano and harp passages.

I think that Columbus is a workman. No vision whatsoever. He'll put whatever is on the page onto the screen. It can make for decent entertainement, and it can make for quite terrible entertainment. But mediocrity is his forte. In these, Stepmom is absolutely no different than any other film of his. Though really, the main failing of the film is in it's script, not it's direction. It's performances don't help much either.

Yes, he's not a "visionary director" à la Kubrick, Spielberg, Cameron, Jackson, etc.

But the genre in which he typically works makes it, IMO, somewhat hard to be a "visionary director." For all that, I want to point out that he is an immensely gifted director, within his confines. There are not that many (comedy) directors who have made a name for themselves.

...but I can't stand Julia Roberts...

Neither could the crew of Hook

I can only watch "Pretty Woman," and that's it. I don't like ANY of her other films...

I'm listening to "Taking Pictures" right now, and this is starting to seriously grow on me. The oboe and guitar solos are heartbreaking...

:lol: