Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

The kind of licencing deal that knows that suckers like us will pay $25 for a 2-c.d. package, one of which has a track which is less than 3 minutes... :lol:

Let's not forget that, when it came out, the "Theme From S.T:III" was a one-sided 12-inch record.

Well, charging a lot of money is one thing. Doing a short CD/LP release is another thing. But producing a second CD for 2.5 minutes in a bundle with plenty of space left on the first disc is idiotic. I like physical CDs, but this kind of thing really makes me glad that the future very obviously is digital downloads.

As much as I hate to admit it, Marian, I think I'm begining to agree with you...

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varese is releasing JNH's score to The Tourist on Dec 21st

Angelina Jolie Johnny Depp

THE TOURIST

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by

James Newton Howard

(Duplicity, Peter Pan, I Am Legend)

Johnny Depp stars as an American tourist whose playful dalliance with a stranger leads to a web of intrigue, romance and danger in The Tourist. During an impromptu trip to Europe to mend a broken heart, Frank (Depp) unexpectedly finds himself in a flirtatious encounter with Elise (Angelina Jolie), an extraordinary woman who deliberately crosses his path.

Against the breathtaking backdrop of Paris and Venice, their whirlwind romance quickly evolves as they find themselves unwittingly thrust into a deadly game of cat and mouse.

James Newton Howard provides a worldly, romantic and exotic score.

Sony Pictures opens THE TOURIST nationwide on December 10.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 075 2

Release Date: 12/21/10

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-194/Tourist%2C-The/Detail

I really hate how FSM's board software doesn't let you link to direct posts. Here's the quote from Bruce Kimmel:

Wait a minute - haven't there already been two CD releases of Carrie? Who would want THAT one? UNLESS - UNLESS - well, it couldn't happen so why dream. UNLESS someone found the entire score - now THAT would be a major deal, I should think - I mean, the LP and previous CD releases only contained music from the second half of the film (save for the main title), and ran only thirty-five minutes. What about the twenty-five minutes of music from the first half of the film? If some label were to put out a two CD special edition - the complete score (for the first time ever, plus a couple of bonus tracks, close to an hour of music total, all from the four-track session masters) and included the album presentation remastered and kept the price as a one CD set - well, I certainly would buy at least two copies, given that I happen to think that the score is one of the best horror scores ever written and that the film is so iconic and brilliant.

No I wasn't. Though the link you posted didn't even work for me, because I have 100 posts per page instead of the standard 20 or 40, so that thread hasn't even reached 5 pages in my view

So is the Carrie score as exciting and memorable as Kimmel seems to think it is? I've seen the movie once and dont remember anything about the music

It's not one of my favorites but the composer Pino Donaggio has a good following among film score fans. I know Joey and a few others here are big fans of the score.

An official release of the surviving original material to Franz Waxman's Sunset Boulevard.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/14562/SUNSET-BLVD-SUNSET-BOULEVARD-2CD-PRE-ORDER/

Seriously? A 52 minute CD with a 2.5 minute bonus track on a second CD?? What insane kind of licensing deal demands such a waste of resources?

AS stupid as it is, I wouldn't mind it so much if they had priced it as a single cd release (like Intrada did with Patton). As it stands, it just seems to be ridiculous

If I'm reading this correctly, Kritzerland will be releasing the complete score to Pino Donaggio's Carrie.

Is there any need for this? I find the previous release perfectly satisfactory.

If I'm reading this correctly, Kritzerland will be releasing the complete score to Pino Donaggio's Carrie.

Is there any need for this? I find the previous release perfectly satisfactory.

A little late to the party aren't you?

Besides Carrie is out of print and more music has been added, plus it preserves the original LP program.

What's wrong with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Desplat said they would be using Berlioz and Ligeti, (apart from "Testament of Mount Athos" by Arsenije Jovanovic and something by Francesco Lupica), they may even use the Smetana piece (first in the trailer), but I still haven't found out about that one piece (the second one in the trailer), which is why I'm a bit suspicious it's part of the score.

There's also some (again) unedintified choral work and a bell ring that sounds just out of The Thin Red Line that probably have nothing to do with the film.

Is this beauty from Alexandre Desplat's score to The Tree of Life? :o

http://www.amazon.com/Famine-Remembrance-Patrick-Cassidy/dp/B000000NN8

Another trailer (probably fan-made) features TIME rom INCEPTION and the love theme from Horner's NEW WORLD. It's like Royal Albert HALL vs. AMERICAN IDOL in tone.

Please don't talk about the film.

But I didn't... I haven't even seen it yet!

Re-reading your post, I'm now even more confused lol. I thought you said Beethoven played during the ending, so I assumed you someone saw a screening or something. I don't know!

• 3 weeks later...

According to Mike Matessino's facebook, him and Neil just finished work on a premiere release of a rejected score:

Mike: So awesome to end the year with a score that I find astonishingly great (I guess that's why it was rejected).

Neil: I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too. When I first heard it I couldn't believe what I was listening to. Happy New Year!

According to Mike Matessino's facebook, him and Neil just finished work on a premiere release of a rejected score:

Mike: So awesome to end the year with a score that I find astonishingly great (I guess that's why it was rejected).

Neil: I'm so glad you enjoyed it, too. When I first heard it I couldn't believe what I was listening to. Happy New Year!

No Williams, that's for sure. Don't have any idea what it could be.

This seemed as good a place as any to say this- I was just looking at the list of upcoming scores on FSM's poll on the main page- and I can't believe how much exciting stuff there is to look forward to next year. At least two a piece from Giacchino, Shore, Zimmer, Desplat, Elfman, and, of course, Williams, and many of them on really exciting projects. I'm sure many of these will fizzle and dissapoint, but I'm still very optimistic.

Could it be...? Could it be...?

Karol - afraid to finish the sentence

At least two a piece from Giacchino, Shore, Zimmer, Desplat, Elfman, and, of course, Williams, and many of them on really exciting projects. I'm sure many of these will fizzle and dissapoint, but I'm still very optimistic.

While i yawn big time at Malicks films, i'm sure Desplat will deliver. This is after all not a Potter movie with severe blockbuster restrictions.

As for the rest, 2010 proved that there still is good stuff happening - i even hope Horner will do more scores in 2011.

Warner Bros finally decide to forgive Yared and legally release Troy?

;)

This seemed as good a place as any to say this- I was just looking at the list of upcoming scores on FSM's poll on the main page- and I can't believe how much exciting stuff there is to look forward to next year. At least two a piece from Giacchino, Shore, Zimmer, Desplat, Elfman, and, of course, Williams, and many of them on really exciting projects. I'm sure many of these will fizzle and dissapoint, but I'm still very optimistic.

Notice which ones are far and away the most anticipated.

Warner Bros finally decide to forgive Yared and legally release Troy?

;)

Now you ruined it!

Karol

The stupid thing with Troy is that anyone who isn't against downloading and wants to hear it, probably has it, and a proper release would likely have the same content in the same sound quality.

The only difference would be that Yared would receive royalties and some recognition for his excellent work.