When was the last time you listened (in some form of attempt at full) to...

BLUMENKOHL

When was the last time you listened (in some form of attempt at full) to...Attack of the Clones?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. When was the last time you listened (in some form of attempt at full) to...Attack of the Clones?

• Within the last day
    • Within the last week
    • Within the last month
    • Within the last year
    • Within the last 2-3 years
    • Not since 3+ years ago

If you skipped a couple of boring tracks here and there it's OK, but I mean listening in the sense that you said "I'm gonna listen to The Attack of the Clones" today. It doesn't have to be all at once, but maybe over a couple of days you listened to it driving to work and back, etc.

Landing on a track out of the soundtrack on shuffle does not count, neither does listening to one or two of your favorite tracks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be same for me as well, Mr. Olivarez, can't say I go back to it outside of the end of "Bounty Hunter Pursuit," and "Count Dooku Finale Blah Blah"

in the last few months, but I only listen during my annual round robin.

Last month. This is surely one of JW's most underrated scores. Cues like "Across the Stars," "Chase Through Coruscant," "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit," "Return to Tatooine," "Love Pledge and the Arena," "Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale," "Jango's Escape," and "On the Conveyor Belt," I don't see how the score could be a bad one. IMO, the score beats RotJ (and that is saying something).

People often say it's just "generic JW action music," but cues like "Chase Through Corsucant," "The Arena," and "On the Conveyor Belt" all have uniquely different feels to them.

I generally listen to it once a week. Lately I've been warming up to the "Love Theme" concert track. I usually skip it and listen to the finale instead.

Not the best of the 6, but very good. Entertains me.

Last month. This is surely one of JW's most underrated scores. Cues like "Across the Stars," "Chase Through Coruscant," "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit," "Return to Tatooine," "Love Pledge and the Arena," "Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale," "Jango's Escape," and "On the Conveyor Belt," I don't see how the score could be a bad one. IMO, the score beats RotJ (and that is saying something).

People often say it's just "generic JW action music," but cues like "Chase Through Corsucant," "The Arena," and "On the Conveyor Belt" all have uniquely different feels to them.

It's anything but generic. Williams certainly went in a new direction.

Three nights ago. And sometime the week before that. I'm in a really bad mood right now so I'm holding myself back from saying what I really think about the constant trashing of this highly underappreciated score.

I last listened to Episode II yesterday and I found it as wonderful as before. The different sound of the score is just refreshing and interesting.

Great music, if I may say so.

You may.

In a new direction with respect to what he'd previously written for a Star Wars film, yes.

You may.

In a new direction with respect to what he'd previously written for a Star Wars film, yes.

I don't think it sounds like anything else he'd written, even outside the SW saga. There are similarities (eg the percussion in MR), but the overall style of the action seems to be unique to AotC.

You may.

I don't think it sounds like anything else he'd written, even outside the SW saga. There are similarities (eg the percussion in MR), but the overall style of the action seems to be unique to AotC.

It's your imagination, kid. Save the opening minutes of "The Chase Through Coruscant," Attack of the Clones is devoid of anything remotely new. There's not enough material as gripping as the final thirty or so seconds of "On the Conveyor Belt" to belie the lack of inventiveness in Williams's action writing.

I listened to parts of this score a week ago and when I did I wanted to finally get the exclusive Target edition with the bonus track "On The Conveyorbelt", for that was actually the track I always wanted on the regular CD! :) Now I listened to the whole thing and I actually like it a lot better than I used to. The inclusion of that track helped. ;) It's one of my favorites for some odd reason.

Does anyone know where the name for the bonus track "On The Conveyorbelt" came from? I mean obviously it's named for the scene it goes with, but I noticed the packaging does not list the name of the bonus track anywhere.

Not sure when I listened to the whole thing was, but I listened to most of it straight through sometime within the last week or two. I definitely enjoy this score, and agree that it's underrated, though I wish I hadn't listened to it quite so often back when it first came out...I might have burned myself out on it a little, or desensitized myself or something.

I don't care if "Across the Stars" has Hook written all over part of its melody; IMO, it's an improvement on those ideas. I don't care if some of the action music is rather similar to other stuff JW has written in recent years; I hear a lot of heart in it, and I think he did a better job with that style in this film than he has in some other cases. I wouldn't rank it as my favorite Star Wars score, certainly, but that's hardly a put-down when I consider how much I enjoy all six scores.

You may.

It's your imagination, kid. Save the opening minutes of "The Chase Through Coruscant," Attack of the Clones is devoid of anything remotely new. There's not enough material as gripping as the final thirty or so seconds of "On the Conveyor Belt" to belie the lack of inventiveness in Williams's action writing.

Not that "newness" is the first order of the day, mind you, or that there wasn't any stylistic blurring between scores during the period of the original trilogy, but part of Williams's ability to give his action cues a fresh edge in earlier years was his seemingly effortless sense of melodic expression. His cues hummed with a fluidity rarely seen in their counterparts today.

I find that in SW Episode II the rhythmic aspect of the music is emphasized a lot over the melodic in the action music.

The Chase Through Coruscant is build on the Zam's motif which is just a rhythm that gets repeated in numerous permutations throughout the piece. The speed and rapid movement dictate the flow of the scene. You can approach it more thematically of course but Lucas preferred the percussion and poor old Johnny obliged. Also because Williams discarded Anakin's theme as if it belonged to the innocent childhood of the character, it could not be used in this scene. And of course peppering every other scene with the Force theme might not have appealed to the film makers.

Jango's Escape is purely based on the percussion and on one furious ostinato repeating over and over that may or may not be derived from the beginning of the Conflict motif which represents Count Dooku and Separatists in the film. Here again the thematic approach is eschewed for the purely kinetic one. This is the trend of this score. It is different. The music keeps the momentum going but JW does not use the established themes as much.

The action is more gritty than in the OT, there is less swashbuckling in. There is less pure exhilarating heroism involved. Still the one action piece that certainly reminds me of the OT and that is the Arena. The whole section of the score feels very much like the Rancor Pit sequence from ROTJ. The independent march motif which is introduced and forms the backbone of the piece is somewhere between the Trade Federation March and the Love theme and is among the highlights of the Prequel action music for me.

In SW Episode II the rhythmic aspect of the music is emphasized a lot over the melodic in the action music.

The Chase Through Coruscant is build on the Zam's motif which is just a rhythm that gets repeated in numerous permutations throughout the piece. The speed and rapid movement dictate the flow of the scene. You can approach it more thematically of course but Lucas preferred the percussion and poor old Johnny obliged. Also the way Williams discarded Anakin's theme as if it belonged to the innocent childhood of the character, it could not be used in this scene. And of course peppering every other scene with the Force theme might not have appealed to the film makers.

Jango's Escape is purely based on the percussion and on one furious ostinato repeating over and over that may or may not be derived from the beginning of the Conflict motif which represents Count Dooku and Separatists in the film. Here again the thematic approach is eschewed for the purely kinetic one. This is the trend of this score. It is different. The music keeps the momentum going but JW does not use the established themes as much.

The action is more gritty than in the OT, there is less swashbuckling in it but one action piece certainly reminds me of the OT and that is the Arena. The whole section of the score feels very much like the Rancor Pit sequence from ROTJ. The independent march motif which is introduced and forms the backbone of the piece is somewhere between the Trade Federation March and the Love theme and is among the highlights of the Prequel action music for me.

Both "The Chase Through Coruscant" of "Jango's Escape" are more appealing in concept than they are in execution. It's clear Williams had very definite melodic and rhythmic ideas for both, ideas that disintegrate as each cue winds on and slumps to a hackneyed finish.

"The Arena," much like the Trade Federation March that informs it, is unfortunately to me little more than warmed-over melodic gestures that were fresher and much more satisfyingly explored in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

"The Arena," much like the Trade Federation March that informs it, is unfortunately to me little more than warmed-over melodic gestures that were fresher and much more satisfyingly explored in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

The Nazi fanfare is brilliant, I admit, but comparing it to the Trade Federation march is perhaps a little silly. They may have commonalities in the broad strokes, but, IMO, the Trade Federation march has a quite distinct sound that's perfectly legitimate. I enjoy 'em both.

On the whole, I find TPM and AOTC to be far fresher and more satisfying than TLC - even when I can detect similarities to other scores, oddly enough. If I want fresh and satisfying from an Indy score, I stick with Raiders or TOD. ;)

I find most of the action cues to be bland and, much like Goldsmith in later years, the music could easily be placed in another Williams scored film and you wouldn't know the difference outside of the themes.

The only cue that remotely sounds like it belongs in a Star Wars film in Jango's Escape and most of that comes from the second half of the cue.

Granted it appears Ben Burtt's ego won Lucas over and Williams' music suffered but I have to really question someone that can honestly look me in the eye and say AOTC's asteroid sequence is just as good or better than "The Asteroid Field" from TESB.

The love theme is nice and the renditions of it in the Finale and picnic scene are quite lovely. Taken away from the film it's fine as an individual listening experience.

I find most of the action cues to be bland and, much like Goldsmith in later years, the music could easily be placed in another Williams scored film and you wouldn't know the difference outside of the themes.

The only cue that remotely sounds like it belongs in a Star Wars film in Jango's Escape and most of that comes from the second half of the cue.

Granted it appears Ben Burtt's ego won Lucas over and Williams' music suffered but I have to really question someone that can honestly look me in the eye and say AOTC's asteroid sequence is just as good or better than "The Asteroid Field" from TESB.

The love theme is nice and the renditions of it in the Finale and picnic scene are quite lovely. Taken away from the film it's fine as an individual listening experience.

There are very good action pieces in AotC, IMO:

Zam the Assassin (first half), Jango's Escape, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit, The Arena, and On the Conveyor Belt.

They're not obviously Star Wars, maybe, but they're great... and I don't think Jerry Goldsmith could have written any of them (he has his own style).

I only appreciate the last track of this score.

You mean the End Credits?

Or the bonus track? (Is that bonus anyway? I've never seen this album without Conveyor on it...)

Is that bonus anyway? I've never seen this album without Conveyor on it

The CD I rented certainly does not include it.

:) Just shell out your 10 bucks and get it, for Pete's sake!

You can rent CDs??? Boy oh boy, where?

I would imagine that you could find them in your local library, assuming you have one.

Just shell out your 10 bucks and get it, for Pete's sake!

Actually, the price is closer to four Dollars.

Does anyone know where the name for the bonus track "On The Conveyorbelt" came from? I mean obviously it's named for the scene it goes with, but I noticed the packaging does not list the name of the bonus track anywhere.

It's on a sticker that was placed on the jewel case's front.

I've also seen a scan of a back cover that actually included it as trak 14. I think it was legit and not a PhotoShopped version. Not sure about where it came from.

Not all of the discs originally had this bonus track. At the time, only some brick and mortar stores carried versions with the bonus tracks, and certain online places. Maybe by now every disc carries it. I wouldn't know.

To me it was just another case of stupidity on Lucasfilm and Sony.

Not everyone had access to a computer, nor access to a Target. I don't get the need to have 5000 different versions of one film score on its release day.

It was double stupidity seeing how we were first told that it was at Wal-Mart, not Target. I had to buy two copies. :P

My favorite action cues are Bounty Hunter's Pursuit (love the cymbals!), The Arena, and the complete Chasing Dooku (crazy wind runs galore). And the finale cue is my second favorite in the saga after ANH's The Throne Room. Yes, even more than ESB. I'll be finding the nearest bunker now.

And the finale cue is my second favorite in the saga after ANH's The Throne Room. Yes, even more than ESB. I'll be finding the nearest bunker now.

Yeah it's good, but not that good.