The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

20 hours ago, publicist said:

It can't and shouldn't be removed. It's just an awfully careless, even crass steal, considering Horner knew exactly what he was stealing from. He already did in 'Cocoon' and 'Star Trek II' but that was a comparably minor passage but this is a major part devoted to the mourning and the remembrance of all the martyrs from the last two WW's.  Repurposing it as just another triumphant fanfare (for the city of Troy) may not be a war crime but it reeks of intellectual arrogance on Horner's part (the idiots watching this picture will not notice anyway).

I rather agree with you on this. I've by and large learned to deal with a lot of Horner's uncredited repurposing of concert hall pieces by other composers. But Troy is the exception I really just can't accept. For me the Shostakovich is just as offensive as the Britten though, because it is so blatant and central to the score.

Yavar

On 10/1/2017 at 9:05 AM, Disco Stu said:

From a new press release:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

Well, it's not Narnia!  Gregson-Williams has no Oscar.  Guess it's Troy after all?

I wouldn't call Doug's Corner a press release!  Just essentially a blog post on his own website

Waht do you mean, of course its "official"; Its the owner of the label talking.  It's just a blog post really, not a press release, that's all.

There's an archive of all the Doug's Corner's in their forum area

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

How so?

With they way he handled the whole rejection, “releasing” his score. 

He pissed off Warner Bros. I thought Ford or someone from one of the labels had mentioned it many years ago. 

Jeez, I can’t believe it’s been 13 years already since Troy was released.

No doubt there are tons of people who will still snatch this up, regardless of its quality.  I'm completely indifferent to Horner's score for this movie anyway, especially in the face of the far superior Yared score.  Release that instead.

In a twist of fate the Britten cue i was talking about was nixed for this release. Which makes the whole affair a bit questionable: the cue 'Troy' was probably this score's 'For the Love of a Princess', meaning it's so essential that fans have to get it from another source or or missing a vital (if dubious) part of that score.

The article only mentions one track. I can't see anything else missing. Or is it the portion of one battle sequence that uses the same fanfare from Troy?

Karol

I just skimmed through it, there seem to be different (less polished or just worse) intros to i. e. 'Achilles Leads the Myrmidons' and inner changes to several others. The Troy fanfare features prominently in 'The Greek Army and its Defeat' and the article remains vague if that is substituted but it's possible. Be that as it may, i would sample the album cues up to that point as you may want to flip-flop between both versions.

5 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I shall pass this time around.

I might be tempted to try out Jarre's score but I think I'll save my money for the purportedly great LLL releases. Plus I found Horner's Troy rather stomach turning last minute replacement job where he didn't stint on borrowing liberally from his usual suspects. When those danger motif variations started appearing I was annoyed to no end in the theater and never reinvestigated the score on album.

I think it is one of the better OST Horner has produced around this era.

Ah the mystery has been solved. The only track missing from the OST is Troy. But it consists of two cues and a portion of one of them can be only heard in the film. So we're missing a 2 minutes or so of one cue altogether between the two albums. Apparently the missing material can be extracted from director's cut end credits. But I'm not that desperate.

Karol - who still thinks people mislike the score purely because of politics behind it

Karol, it's just not that good as either music or even Horner snack in-between. There are many boring synth carpets and directionless droning (not even speaking about the lesbian moaning that stretches really thin), the themes are OK at best and stolen, anyway. The pure presence of a big symphony orchestra and certain expected gestures do not make good music. This is a far cry even from 'The Four Feathers'.