The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Hahaha... I always thought they were similar!

And I was actually into the Cliffhanger movie and score long before I ever saw The Last Of The Mohicans or heard its score, so maybe that's why I never really latched on to the LOTM score...

I have a feeling Cliffhanger would warrant 3,000 copies too?

Then again, I thought for sure Link would have been issued at 3,000 copies...

Well, I'd buy Cliffhanger in a heartbeat. I don't remember much about the rest of the score, but the main theme is EPIC

What about possibly The Hunt For Red October? Big sweeping theme there. Came out in 1990 and would require 2-CD's.

As I was kidding about Red October earlier in this thread. If (just guessing folks) a 2 CD set. Disc one the complete score which is about 60 + minutes long. The 2nd disc would be the original MCA album plus any alternate and unused cues. :)

I'd say yes.

Plus Kamen co-wrote the song so I wouldn't think that would be a problem including it.

A little fantasy of mine would be a complete Dances With Wolves, there's still some music missing from the Sony expanded CD.

I'm joking, if it's Cliffhanger the quantity most likely has to do with contractual obligations.

That's possible. Cliffhanger is owned by Studio Canal. Link is also owned by Studio Canal and that release was limited to 2000 copies.

Does Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves count as "action"?

Don't even get my hopes up. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is an all-time personal favorite.

If it is Cliffhanger or Red October, I would buy either of those for sure too. And of course Jungle Book but I doubt that's it though.

I'm joking, if it's Cliffhanger the quantity most likely has to do with contractual obligations.

That's possible. Cliffhanger is owned by Studio Canal. Link is also owned by Studio Canal and that release was limited to 2000 copies.

Good catch!

Potential scores:

Basil Poledouris - The Hunt For Red October [Paramount] (Full score would not require 2 CDs)

Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future III [universal] (would DEFINITELY get pressed at more than 2000 copies)

Michael Kamen - Die Hard 2 [Fox] (Sadly, Varese owns the right in perpetuity)

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 [Fox] (Sadly, Varese owns the right in perpetuity)

Danny Eflman - Dick Tracy [Touchtone/Disney] (Would not require two discs)

Michael Kamen - Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves [WB] (Full score might not require 2CDs, but definitely an action score with a sweeping main theme)

John Barry - Dances With Wolves [Orion/MGM] (Possibly not considered an "action" score, possibly doesn't need 2CDs)

James Horner - The Rocketeer [Disney] (Very few expanded Disney scores get released, and this one would surely warrant 3,000 copies)

Chaz Jankel / Hans Zimmer - K2 [Paramount] (1 CD for each composer's score?)

Basil Poledouris/Hans Zimmer - White Fang [Disney]

Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman - The Last Of The Mohicans [Fox] (Might not be considered an "action" score?)

Trevor Jones - Cliffhanger [sony/Studio Canal] (Definitely an action score with a sweeping main theme, but might not need 2 CDs?)

Basil Poledouris - The Jungle Book [Disney] (Not an action score, might not need 2 CDs)

Jerry Goldsmith - Bad Girls [Fox] (Don't know anything about this one, but I feel like it wouldn't need 2 CDs)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Shadow [universal] (Complete score on one disc, song/score OST on the other?)

Marc Mancina - Speed [Fox] (MV hinted La La Land will be releasing it)

Disqualified because they are from 1995:

Michael Kamen - Die Hard 3

Jerry Goldsmith - First Knight

Jerry Goldsmith - Congo

Alan Silvestri - Judge Dredd

Varèse also owns Back To The Future III so only they would release it. Strike that one off the list and as we know it would only need 1 CD.

Last Of The Mohicans has quite a bit of action material in it.

The re-recording had some tracks the OST didn't, but the OST has some tracks the re-recording doesn't... and there remains additional tracks that haven't appeared on either.

I wonder if the lack of 90s clips is due to the score being too recognisable.

Given so, I'm hoping for Last of the Mohicans. Didn't like what I heard from Cliffhanger on spotify.

The problem with these clues is that putting a film in a singe genre can be hard, I mean how much action/battles does a movie need before it's classed as an 'action' movie?

I just googled 'action movies early 90s' (I love its ability to understand plain English hehe) and got a rather interesting list of movies it defines as 'action'.

http://cinemaroll.com/cinemarolling/top-fifty-best-action-movies-from-the-90s/

A few things I didn't expect to see on that list, and fit Roger's clues in terms of having a notable theme:

Wyatt Earp (main theme is used several times in full scale sweeping string mode)

Jurassic Park

BTTF3

Robin Hood

I've all ready posted before to not count on BTTF 3.

Varèse owns the rights for BTTF 3 so only they can release it. Unless they do I don't expect a complete release from them any time soon.

Plus it only needs 1 CD not 2.

Varèse owns the rights for BTTF 3 so only they can release it. Unless they do I don't expect a complete release from them any time soon.

Maybe there's more stuff out there that hasn't leaked. Pretty sure no one foresaw the entire alternate score for the first BTTF coming.

Yeah I misremembered which one Varese owned when I read that list.

I'm not really after a full BTTF 3 anyway - I was just tossing names into the hat really. This batch is a curious one.

Another title I thought about last night when watching the film for. What about Hot Shots (1991) or Hot Shots Part Deux (1993)? Hot Shots was written by Sylvester Levay and Part Deux was written by Basil Poledouris. Both had sweeping themes and quite a bit of action in them despite they were comedy shows.

Intrada's released scores for both composers, however, would either score require a 2-CD set?

Nah I don't think it would be either of those two, plus they are actually comedies and Roger would have put that in his clues.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Poledouris' score get a proper treatment.

CLIFFHANGER (2CD)

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 156

Date: 1993

Tracks: 28

Time = 92:52

Dynamic 2-CD set features complete action-packed Trevor Jones soundtrack for Renny Harlin top-drawer outdoor thriller, set high in Rockies (actually Italy's Dolomites), starring Sylvester Stallone, John Lithgow, Michael Rooker. Jones scores sweeping scale, intense action with arguably his most exciting orchestral score to date. Spectacular music anchors with rich, wide-open theme often heard on solo trumpet, then surrounds with wall-to-wall action. Original 1993 Scotti Bros. release carried roughly half of score. Intrada release offers complete 92-minute masterpiece, newly remixed from actual 48-track digital session masters courtesy StudioCanal! Dynamic elements included scoring sessions on 24 tracks, 7.1 film mixes on 8 more tracks, channels for left, center & right recording studio ambience, 3 channels for additional electronic colors plus stereo mixes of cues used on earlier album: an incredible array of mixing options all contained within those 40-odd channels! Intrada was able to re-create instrument placement, spread of original mixes while creating crisp, all-new mixes for our final CD masters! New highlights include exciting air-to-air hijack & robbery ("Being Tricked/Matheson Revives"), pulsating "Qualen's Timebomb/Jessie's Close Call", riveting entire final helicopter fight running over 9-minutes! Informative liner notes by John Takis. David Snell conducts London Philharmonic Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 2000 copies!

KREMLIN LETTER, THE

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 160

Date: 1970

Tracks: 29

Time = 42:12 World premiere release of exciting, flavorful Robert Drasnin soundtrack for 1970 John Huston thriller involving false treaty between U.S. & Soviet Union vs. Red China, starring Max Von Sydow, Richard Boone, Orson Welles. Robert Drasnin scores with nods to locale, inherent action. Exciting "Main Title" establishes important ideas heard throughout score, serves as prelude to suspense music, colorful source cues for Mexico, Russia locations plus haunting love theme. Intrada CD features complete score, presented in stereo from original 1/4" two-track session masters vaulted in superb condition courtesy 20th Century Fox. Entire release edited, mastered at Intrada under supervision of Mr. Drasnin with Nick Redman as producer, Julie Kirgo as liner note author. Extra treat: film soon makes world premiere appearance as launch to brand new Twilight Time series of Fox DVDs! Intrada CD offers rare opportunity to hear splendid work of prolific (but sadly under-represented) composer, famed as music director at CBS and composer of classic TV shows including MAN FROM UNCLE, LOST IN SPACE, TIME TUNNEL, TWILIGHT ZONE, WILD WILD WEST, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, many others. Robert Drasnin conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 1000 copies!

Well depending on what Peter says I'll most likely be ordering Cliffhanger. Definitely sounds like a solid (no pun intended) Jones score. This will be literally my first CD purchase since I think October or first of November.

I ordered Cliffhanger sound unheard because I've become a big fan of Trevor Jones. Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and Nate and Hayes are all great.

I tacked Battlestar Galactica into the order. I had been confused because I thought there was a cinematic movie in addition to the TV show; once I realized the TV pilot was retooled to be the movie, buying this was a no-brainer: I love the main theme, and my brain...