• 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I am not familiar with this movie.
  3. 3. If JW had gotten an Oscar in 2002, for which score?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Score: 5

Movie: 4.5

I'm one of the few people here who connects with the movie. One of the few underrated Spielberg movies. The score is yet another JW masterpiece.

:|

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Score 5 stars: A true masterpiece.

The film 3,5 stars.

I last saw A.I. in 2002 so I can't really imagine how would it feel today. Some interesting things in it, sure. But it all is so incoherent that I can't say it was a good movie. It should have been so much more. 2,5 stars.

The score is interesting. All over the place, but that was probably the intent in a sense it mirrored somewhat Kubrick's eclectic choices in music. So there you have modern atonal music, Gayanne rip-off (intentional), Strauss and such. It's one of the atypical scores in JW's career. Not the masterpiece some people here herald it to be, but curious indeed. 4 stars.

As for the Oscars... I really don't care. But, I guess, A.I. would be more worthy.

Karol - who will listen to the score today.

"Abandoned In The Woods" is one of my Top 10 John Williams tracks...

I like it even more in it's mysterious arrangement in 'A Drive'.

The score is, as i said elsewhere, a mixed bag. The highlights are real highlights, though, so it's a 4 from me. If the film would be less absurd, the whole 'Blue Fairy' climax could have been a classic Spielberg scene...storytelling without words. The bridge in 'Monica's Theme' feels a bit too sappy.

Score: 4.5

Movie: 1.5

and the Oscar goes to... A.I.

Love the score, hate the movie. Not quite a masterpiece but it is JWs last great score.

Score: 4.5. Williams' best non-franchise score of the decade. To me the SW prequels and SS rate higher, CoS, PoA and Indy 4 lower.

Movie: 3.5. It gets better every time I see it. The first half is very, very slow, but it's visually stunning, the pace picks up the second half, and the ending is wonderful.

It gets better every time I see it. The first half is very, very slow, but it's visually stunning, the pace picks up the second half, and the ending is wonderful.

I want those drugs!

Score: 5 stars. Really magnificent. Williams delves deep into the human psyche.

Film: 2 stars. It's evident that a lot of love went into making this picture, but oh my god what the hell happened!?

4.5 for the score, 3 for the movie and A.I. for the Oscar even if HP is more like my type of score. At least that year they gave the Oscar to a worthy score, even if A.I. should have won.

I've added the 3rd question (HP or AI) after I voted myself, so I didn't get a chance to vote there myself, but I think I would have preferred HP to win.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the better of the two, it's just that I REALLY would have liked to see JW get an Oscar for his work on the HP franchise...

Hell, he should have gotten it just for "Harry's Wondrous World" and "Hedwig's Theme"!

PoA not winning was a minor scandal, IMHO.

5 for the score. One of the best JW scores of the last decade.

4.5 for the movie. One of Spielberg's most fascinating works.

A.I. gets the Oscar. Sorcerer's Stone may be more famous (and more traditional Williams) but it doesn't beat the beauty found in Artificial Intelligence.

Why don't these polls ever have a 0 star option

(No, that's not my vote for either, just curious)

I think Philosopher's Stone is a tremendous score, but ultimately it's just a child's adventure. A.I. stabs right at the heart. If you listen to Monica's theme as just a pretty love ballad, you're not getting the full picture. Here I once again have to recommend the complete and chronological score. It's a much more cohesive and satisfying experience than the disjointed album with its unnecessary concert suites and Josh Groban foolishness.

AI is a piece of shit, absolute shit. There should have been zero stars. Worst film of Spielberg's career, indicative of his decline in this decade.

the score is a solid 3. Far better than the film deserves but its not memorable like Harry Potter. Its might be here, but outside of this geeky place its forgotten.

Film: 2 stars. It's evident that a lot of love went into making this picture, but oh my god what the hell happened!?

:P

Even when I disagree with you, you always give me a good laugh (in a good way ;) ).

I think Philosopher's Stone is a tremendous score, but ultimately it's just a child's adventure.

Youre right, and it never claimed to be anything else. That's like saying Home Alone is somewhat too childish...

Because no score deserves 0 stars. (And too many would abuse that option... :thumbup: )

Hey, I wonder whether that schizophrenic piece "Cybertronics" was borrowed (or inspired) by James Horners Aliens, the first scene...

Hey, I wonder whether that schizophrenic piece "Cybertronics" was borrowed (or inspired) by James Horners Aliens, the first scene...

I imagine it was inspired by the Gayanne ballet piece used in 2001 that Horner ripped off for ALIENS.

I imagine it was inspired by the Gayanne ballet piece used in 2001 that Horner ripped off for ALIENS.

Huh, don't know that one.

What is the piece called exactly? And where can I hear it?

Huh, don't know that one.

What is the piece called exactly? And where can I hear it?

Adagio from the Gayanne ballet. Track six on the 2001 soundtrack.

:lol:

Even when I disagree with you, you always give me a good laugh (in a good way ;) ).

Laughter is the best medicine... for curing your incorrect opinions.

I think Philosopher's Stone is a tremendous score, but ultimately it's just a child's adventure.

Youre right, and it never claimed to be anything else. That's like saying Home Alone is somewhat too childish...

Because no score deserves 0 stars. (And too many would abuse that option... :lol: )

really thats not for you to decide, there are scores that deserve 0 and films that deserve 0.

really thats not for you to decide, there are scores that deserve 0 and films that deserve 0.

Ah, yes. That's for you to decide.

no its for everyone to decide individually, get your head out of your .... trying to one up me and you might realize that.

joshy washy can control the poll but he doesn't control what you, or I, or anyone thinks about a film or score

5, 5, AI

Its might be here, but outside of this geeky place its forgotten.

If by outside this geeky place you mean mainstream public consciousness, so are many great scores.

Ah, yes. That's for you to decide.

no its for everyone to decide individually, get your head out of your .... trying to one up me and you might realize that.

joshy washy can control the poll but he doesn't control what you, or I, or anyone thinks about a film or score

If you think a score or a film is abysmal, give it 1 star! That's the lowest category, period. You can tell yourself 1 equals 0 if that makes you happier.

AI is a piece of shit, absolute shit. There should have been zero stars. Worst film of Spielberg's career, indicative of his decline in this decade.

It's a Spielberg who stops trying to please the Joe On The Street and he should be applauded for that. The question is, how successful was he at it? Personally, I think he didn't push it far enough.

Alex

Score: 4.5, a near masterpiece

Film: Unfamiliar. I have seen it once, but I don't remember it well enough to rate it.

And I'll go with Sorcerer's Stone, but it's very close