Recommended JW Western Score

Muad'Dib

Hi, everybody!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me which is his best western score in your opinion, because I would really like to hear what approach has taken Williams in that type of scores. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cowboys or The Rare Breed. Love Far and Away, but has less Western music. Missouri Breaks is ok, but more for comedy feeling.

The only Western score I have heard from John Williams is The Cowboys (only the Overture comes to mind, though), but I would recommend it for that piece alone. While having a very rousing opening and closing, the middle portion is a very lovely and moving section that perfectly encapsulates the isolation of the West, with more than a hint of nostalgia...I always get teary-eyed listening to and performing that part. GET IT NOW!

Indy's Very First Adventure

Good one, Josh500. There are some Copland moments in this track that make it somewhat Western-like.

inst the reivers another western. And the man who loved cat dancing?

I would choose the rare breed.

I forgot about The Reivers. I like it.

Indy's Very First Adventure

Good one, Josh500. There are some Copland moments in this track that make it somewhat Western-like.

Yes, I've always considered this a typical "fun" Western scene/music.

On a sidenote, Indy's Very First Adventure happened in the same year that TITANIC sank in the Atlantic... it's somehow hard to make that connection.

On a sidenote, Indy's Very First Adventure happened in the same year that TITANIC sank in the Atlantic... it's somehow hard to make that connection.

Um...

But try we must.

Um...

They should have made a special episode of Young Indiana Jones' Chronicles about Indy's very second adventure on board.

Um...

Exactly.

No love for The Reivers here? I have a special fondness for that score (thanks, Peio).

I don't associate it with the "Western" genre, but it is my favorite pre-Star Wars score by John Williams.

No love for The Reivers here? I have a special fondness for that score (thanks, Peio).

Well it is a great score but not exactly a Western. More of a rural Americana score. It is so full of life and spirit and the feel of the time and place it is a joy to listen to from start to finish.

And I would go with The Cowboys as I think it is the best of the few Williams Western scores there are.

Amazing JWFan.

Yes to serve and correct, JWFan! It works!

The Cowboys, The Reivers, Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, and The Missouri Breaks.

The Rare Breed has only been released as a suite.

None, go and listen some Bernstein!

You mean Morricone. :lol:

What if he doesn't like spaghetti?

Oh, don't worry about that. I love Morricone's style for western movies. I just wanted to know what kind of approach had taken Williams in that type of movies. I have listened to "The Cowboys" and I like it very much, specially the main theme... The only problem I have with that theme is that I find too Copland-esque. I like better Morricone's style for westerns, but Williams is great in a different way.

I wonder what would happen if Williams had taken a more Morricone approach for that kind of scores...

I wonder what would happen if Williams had taken a more Morricone approach for that kind of scores...

I think The Missouri Breaks is closer to something Morricone might do. No really close actually, but a lot closer than the The Cowboys. Morricone is the King Of Westerns.

The Cowboys is indeed fantastic. I'm not sure what the criterion for a western score is exactly, so there could be others, but IMO the best of the traditionally considered western scores is Cowboys. It's absolutely fantastic from start to finish, it is so bursting with excitement and energy. The only other score that matches it on sheer excitement, I think, is Hook.

I've been listening to "The Missouri Breaks" and... I love it! Mostly because it breaks with the typical JW scores. It's great to hear how versatile is our "Johnny" ;)

Well he only has like 3 Western scores. The Missouri Breaks is my favorite.

This one IS the best. Cowboys is nothing compared to this gem.

I've been listening to "The Missouri Breaks" and... I love it! Mostly because it breaks with the typical JW scores. It's great to hear how versatile is our "Johnny" :)

Exactly ;)

The love theme is my fav JW love theme ever.

If we're talking Lennie, then yes, Chichester Psalms are the way to go.

...of course, there's always "Candide", and "West Side Story". Thanks for correcting me on the spelling of Chichester, marian, I KNEW I'd got that wrong!