John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't care less who scores them. Every Potter score so far has been atrocious!

:P

What? You mean you like other scores as well as Star Wars?! ;)

I was only joking. You can't beat HP1, 2 and 3. ;)

4 is good (but not as good), 5 is passable and 6 is just.....well.....it has some nice highlights but that's about it. :P

Potter 7 is actually my favourite one outside Williams' efforts. Doyle's is too 'look at me!!!' and OOtP is Hooper still finding his feet and falling over a lot.

I'd be ok with anyone except Desplat or Silvestri.

Potter 7 is actually my favourite one outside Williams' efforts. Doyle's is too 'look at me!!!' and OOtP is Hooper still finding his feet and falling over a lot.

that list of exclusions should include the dozens of MV composers...

Regarding Hooper's efforts.....

I think Potter 5 has some really nice bits of score. Highlights would have to be: -

- Fireworks

- Professor Umbridge

- Another Story

- Dumbledore's Army

- The Room Of Requirement

- A Journey To Hogwarts

- The Ministry Of Magic

- Flight Of The Order Of The Phoenix

Potter 6 also has some decent highlights, but I don't like it as much as Potter 5. Potter 5 always sounds more "Potterish" (a new word?!) than 6 does, to me anyway. :mellow:

Potter 6 highlights (there's probably more I haven't remembered): -

- In Noctem

- The Story Begins

- Ginny

- Wizard Wheezes

- Living Death

- Ron's Victory

- The Weasley Stomp

'In Noctem' sounds like it's from The Tudors or something like that (not a bad thing! :P )

The real problem is that Potter 5 and 6 don't use 'Hedwig's Theme' enough, even when the movie is screaming out for it! :huh:

I sure hope so...and I hope it's good news. =/ Williams needs to at least come back for part 2. I can't imagine the series ending with another composer, no matter how good that composer might be. Anyone else would just feel wrong.

that list of exclusions should include the dozens of MV composers...

Yeap, meant Potter 6.

And I assumed the MV exclusion to be such a given that it wasn't worth mentioning. The very idea is laughable.

Someone at a Potter site who claimed to have inside information said it should be announced within about two months. He also said while there's a good chance of Williams coming back, WB has been in negotiations with two other unnamed composers. It's not confirmed of course, though.

Is there a link? And has the poster have a history of being correct or wrong? Just checking.

Desplat is a good fit for Potter. Zimmer or Powell just wouldn't mesh well with the style of the films.

I really think Powell could do a good job with a Potter score, it's shown with Chicken Run and X-Men 3 he can really compose solid, enjoyable orchestral music (the latter especially). Along with Desplat, Doyle, heck there are plenty of good composers out there that can knock a big 2-part film like DH out of the park, musically. Although if Yates and the WB want a composer who can emulate the Williams sound (but can't get him), there's always Jane Antonia Cornish. That chick is talented.

No one in their right mind would give Cornish the responsibility of composing a 4+ hour score for one of WB's most successful franchises. That's not a knock against her, I like her Island Of Lost Dreams score, but it would never happen.

And Powell can compose great orchestral music, he always does, but his style puts a lot of focus on percussion beats and synths that I don't think it would fit for Potter. They aren't really fast paced films.

No one in their right mind would give Cornish the responsibility of composing a 4+ hour score for one of WB's most successful franchises. That's not a knock against her, I like her Island Of Lost Dreams score, but it would never happen.

I mean, Nicholas Hooper was plucked out of obscurity when David Yates amped up production on OOTP and HBP -- it could happen (Hooper had to compose some demos for the WB music execs before they let him have the gig for OOTP). If I was a WB music exec taking composer demos before entering negotiations with Williams, I would certainly take notice of Cornish's work if she sent in demos from her Island of Lost Souls score and recommend her to the producers and director if Williams couldn't do it.

Cornish needs a big break, she has that talent. She and Debbie Wiseman never really got a fair shake when it came to big scoring gigs.

Ryan Shore.

Oooh, he's a good one too.

Hooper had already collaborated with Yates on many of their television ventures. I'm sure if he had called WB and asked if he could score OotP, they would've shot him down. The only reason they listened to his demos was probably because Yates really wanted him.

Yeah.

A lot of great composers don't get work. I wish Joris De Man would write a film score, but alas no one would hire him. I forget what he exactly said, but there was an interview with him and he talked about the difficulties of being a video game composer.

His score for Killzone 2 is film score quality writing. Sure, it's got some RCP tendencies, I suppose. Some great rhythmic writing and an awesome main theme in the vein of Star Wars.

Is there a link? And has the poster have a history of being correct or wrong? Just checking.

Here - http://www.harrypotterforum.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1072&page=1#Item_0

Warning: Lots of DH spoilers there. He mentioned that somewhere in there. It isn't proved he's genuine but he certainly seemed so because much of what he posted was confirmed in the new leaked trailer and other infos given before.

Here's the entire quote:

Yes John Williams will possibly return but they are in negotiations with 2 other composers. But I think they've decided. I think they've said it'll be announced sometime these two forthcoming months.

Let the interpretations begin!

I think that poster on that HP forum is credible. The amount of detail in that post, considering the DH movie production is extremely hard to dismiss. No troll would spend a lot of time making this up, but I could be wrong.

The second "but" indubitably proves Williams will be scoring the films. Case closed!

I am not sure if you mean this with sarcasm... but when I think about it:

Yeah.. it makes sense... Great news indeed! :D