The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

HUGE NEWS FROM MV!!!

Just to add some more info to this release:

How did this come about?

The magic of Sir Lukas Kendall working miracles at Capitol Records and Paramount Pictures on behalf of La La Land Records. This is our 2nd project with Mr Kendall (Star Trek V being the first). We have many more projects in the works with Mr. Kendall. Its an absolute joy to work with him. Plus, our offices are right down the street from his favorite batting cage place. smile.gif

Why 5000 units?

Simply put, it was a contractual thing. Capitol Records required from us that we produce 5000 units. Plus, we hope this sells well with all you Barry, Columbier and RATT fans. Yes, that's right -- the Ratt song is on the cd. wink.gif

Why 3 discs and whats on it?

Disc 1 consists of Barry score for the film. Its an absolute treasure! As stated before, it's like the lost BOND score. After we all heard it we asked ourselves, "What movie was he watching?" LOL!

Disc 2 consists of Columbier score... a true delight for those fans of 80's electronica. His score ranks right up there with Faltermeyer and Moroder.

Disc 3 is a hodge podge of songs that were featured on the original LP release as well as Barry alternates, including a tossed out song Barry wrote and Randy Edelman performed!

Was Mr Barry involved at all before his passing?

Sadly, Mr. Barry did not get to see the end result of Jim Titus' gorgeous package (insert joke here) and Mr Burlingame superlative notes. I'm sure if he were still around he would have been very happy to see one of his lost masterpieces see the light of day.

So, what about Comic Con and all your hype?

At the beginning of the year we were racing toward Comic Con with 6 titles, hoping that at least 3 or 4 would make it in time. As the days grew closer and the problems/delays started to mount up on some of those titles, we started to rethink our approach. Once mid June hit and we realized that only 1 of those titles was actually going to be done, we decided "WHAT THE HELL", unleash the Chosen One early to the world. Four of those titles will not be done in time for the Con.

These four titles were going to be:

Batman Forever Expanded Archival Collection

Forever Young Expanded Archival Collection

Space Above and Beyond (3 cd set)

1941 (2 cd set)

Those titles are still coming -- When? Who knows....but they are in the chute.

That said, we might have one more title come in just in time for Comic Con -- that will be making its debut at the show and then on the website Aug 2. It was produced by Ford A Thaxton and Lukas Kendall and should, hopefully be here shortly.

We'll keep you all posted on that and other Comic Con news shortly.

In the meantime, enjoy The Golden Child.

MV

1941 can be discussed here, everything else here in this thread.

1941, huh? Interesting. I guess this is the entire score? I've never really heard that score. Never could sit through the whole movie either when it came on TV. I didn't know that Shirley Walker composed music for SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND. I've liked her ever since her masterful conducting of Elfman's BATMAN score in 1989 w/ the Sinfonia of London Orchestra (I wonder what else they've produced/performed musically since), and the TV show in 1992, I believe. Thanks again, Jason.

I'm curious to hear parts of the actual score of SUPER 8, since I clearly remember hearing Williams-esque flourishes throughout. Kind of surprised that they'll release the score a full month after the film's release. Try doing that with a John Williams score (like with TIN TIN and THE WARHORSE)...people buy his scores before seeing the movies just to get an introduction to what will be up on the screen.

I love Goldsmith's score to Forever Young. I'll be double dipping and upgrading to this one.

I wonder what the 6th title, that LaLaLand may have for Comic-con is?

Produced by Ford and Lukas, that could mean Gremlins since it is Warner Bros. Or perhaps, still thinking big ;), Star Trek TMP.

I'm excited about Space Above and Beyond. I didn't think we'll be getting this at all. Hurray for Shirley Walker! :D

(Not much of a 5000th post celebration, eh?)

Karol

Congrats on 5,000 posts!

Why does F.A.T. being involved make you think its a WB title?

Does the lack of mention of 2 cd after Batman Forever mean it will be a 1 cd only release, or don't ever specify the number of cd's for expanded archival edition?

Batman Forever, Space Above and Beyond, and 1941 are all must buys for me.

Let's go back to that list of composers MV posted in January

Barry

Debney

Elfman

Goldsmith

Horner

Howard

Kamen

Mancina

Newman

Morris

Poledouris

Portman

Snow

Tiomkin

Williams

This is what we know now:

Barry - The Golden Child

Debney - The Young Riders

Elfman - Strongly hinted to be Planet Of The Apes

Goldsmith - First Knight, Bad Girls, and Forever Young

Horner

Howard

Kamen

Mancina - Money Train

Newman

Morris - Clue & Haunted Honeymoon

Poledouris - Breakdown

Portman - Jim Henson's Storyteller, which was since canceled

Snow - The X-Files box set

Tiomkin - Fall Of The Roman Empire

Williams - 1941

Surprised we still have no idea about the Horner and Kamen titles. Though I still think Die Hard 1 and/or 3 seem likely for the Kamen. Hopefully the Howard is Waterworld.

Does the lack of mention of 2 cd after Batman Forever mean it will be a 1 cd only release, or don't ever specify the number of cd's for expanded archival edition?

Batman Forever, Space Above and Beyond, and 1941 are all must buys for me.

I'm sure it will be 2CD. There are tons of alternates after all. Well, many tracks on the OST are alternates.

I think so at least...

Karol

Congrats on 5,000 posts!

Why does F.A.T. being involved make you think its a WB title?

Actually it's Lukas' involvement more, Gremlins is a Warner Bros title which LaLaLand has been releasing under their Archive Editions.

Well Lukas has pretty much admitted someone is working on Gremlins.

And if you also notice my wink as well, I admitted I was thinking big.

It's probably not Gremlins just because there's another Goldsmith in the same "batch"

Also Lukas's comments seemed to indicate to me that he was the one securing the rights and not some other label.

I also doubt its a Star Trek score just because FAT didn't produce any of the other recent Star Trek expansions.

Yes well it's all a guessing game, much the same reasoning we had for Hook. Although Ford did work on the 20th Anniversary Star Trek set.

I'm just having fun guessing. No harm no foul.

And in all seriousness, when Lukas has been involved with assisting another label, it usually turns out to be something special.

On a related not , if you read MV's Facebook page, he was asking about the End Credits to the first Die Hard and what recording of Beethoven was used. He claims it's for a bet so who knows.

1941, huh? Interesting. I guess this is the entire score? I've never really heard that score. Never could sit through the whole movie either when it came on TV. I didn't know that Shirley Walker composed music for SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND. I've liked her ever since her masterful conducting of Elfman's BATMAN score in 1989 w/ the Sinfonia of London Orchestra (I wonder what else they've produced/performed musically since)

Sinfonia of London performed on the following scores:

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

The Mummy Returns

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life

Klimt

Lost in Space

Stargate (movie)

Tombstone

Robocop

Young Sherlock Holmes

Eddie Murphy? What is this movie? Is it good?

If I will buy it, Barry is the only reason. But I doubt if I have any interest in it.

Is it really that good to press 5000 3CD sets?

Let's go back to that list of composers MV posted in January

Surprised we still have no idea about the Horner and Kamen titles. Though I still think Die Hard 1 and/or 3 seem likely for the Kamen. Hopefully the Howard is Waterworld.

So the only mysteries left are Horner, Howard, Kamen, and one of four possible Newmans. I'm potentially interested in all four.

I'm hoping for something more like Falling Down from Howard, although I wouldn't say no to more music from Wyatt Earp.

Does Waterworld have that much good stuff missing? I can't say I'm that familiar with the film but the generous (for the time) OST has no gaping holes that I've noticed.

The Mummy Returns

Klimt

Lost in Space

Stargate (movie)

Tombstone

Robocop

Young Sherlock Holmes

They also did Judge Dredd.

The Kamen score will be Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!

Eddie Murphy? What is this movie? Is it good?

If I will buy it, Barry is the only reason. But I doubt if I have any interest in it.

Is it really that good to press 5000 3CD sets?

THE GOLDEN CHILD is a comedy/fantasy/action-type film typical of the 80's, with Murphy in top form ("SHOW ME THE KNIFE!"). I have a strong nostalgic connection to it, but haven't seen it in many years. I'm guessing it would be easier for me to see its warts today, but I don't think it's a BAD film by any measure, certainly not compared to Murphy's latest ouput.

Colombier's music -- especially the theme -- is incredibly catchy and funky, a synthpop score with funky brass. I've used that theme many times in my lectures to give them a quintessential 80's sound. Has some exciting suspense music too.

Barry's rejected stuff I'm not familiar with. I don't really like Barry in the first place.

Aha!!! I just realized that The Golden Child has to be the score Mike and Neil mentioned working on on Facebook, which we discussed on pages 11 and 12 of the Upcoming Scores thread starting right here

Broughton has or had a long standing working relationship with the Sinfonia. Didn't his wife play there or something?

Colombier's music -- especially the theme -- is incredibly catchy and funky, a synthpop score with funky brass. I've used that theme many times in my lectures to give them a quintessential 80's sound. Has some exciting suspense music too.

Funky, huh. So it's a pass to me. Not my cup of tea.

The Mummy Returns

Klimt

Lost in Space

Stargate (movie)

Tombstone

Robocop

Young Sherlock Holmes

They also did Judge Dredd.

The Kamen score will be Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!

Thnaks, guys. I recall STARGATE being a rather "heavy" orchestral score. Hope they do more in the future.

I hope the Kamen one is Robin Hood. :)

I'm betting it's going to be Die Hard. That's a Fox film and they've been doing Fox films lately. I mean it's possible at some point in time they'll do Robin Hood but I think Die Hard will be out first. It was supposed to be a Black Friday title last year but got pushed back.

Anyone speculated on the Horner?

Maybe a small release like I Love You to Death? I don't know, however I am excited what LLL has planned. :D

I think it would be awesome if LLL were able to release all the music for Apollo 13. I mean ya there's the album but I don't think it has all the music and the dialogue and such between the score is rather annoying.

I love the score to Titanic, but does it need a 4th release? Is there still worthwhile music unreleased?

I got the impression it was a case of most of the album being alternates from what's in the film. Could be wrong.

I'm still hoping for more Willow or Land Before Time. Probably less likely for Willow, given the Lucasfilm nature.

Willow is Lucasfilm, so don't ever count on that one getting a complete release. The Land Before Time would be welcomed if it got a complete release.

I love the score to Titanic, but does it need a 4th release? Is there still worthwhile music unreleased?

I got the impression it was a case of most of the album being alternates from what's in the film. Could be wrong.

I believe you are correct.

The Land Before Time would be welcomed if it got a complete release.

I think that one needs the eleven disc LaLaLand treatment to handle all the sequels.