Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it good? They can't even afford a conductor!

They don't need a conductor. I have no idea how good they are for now, but loved their water music and fireworks recording as a child.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I can't understand why people get LPs.

Do you like to hear pops and scratches, that will inevitably occur when some time has passed?

Bigger artwork and liner notes.  And what @Bespin said. Playing an LP is like grinding your own coffee. It’s a bit of a ritual you savor.  

My father in law was a true audiophile, and swore by vinyl LONG before its resurgence.  The man had one some of the most expensive audio gear I’ve ever seen, and a glass tube amplifier that would look at home In Frankenstein’s lab.  And he had better ears for sound than I do.  I doubt most of the vinyl people nowadays are getting what he got out of vinyl. 

Personally, I don’t care for the pops. It’s not for me, but I get it.  They would’ve gotten me though if they included a lossless digital copy with each vinyl album, for the digital convenience and sound quality. 

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh I still collect mostly CDs but wanted a moderate collection of some of my favourite stuff on vinyl.

I believe those (with special attention to the past tense) are the key words here? ;)

19 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh I still collect mostly CDs but wanted a moderate collection of some of my favourite stuff on vinyl. No reason really, I was just gifted a player recently and subsequently went mad (as you can probably tell). And yes, I overdid it. Bit ashamed of poor my money management is at the moment. 😄

Karol

I quite enjoy living vicariously through your hauls, Karol.  Keep ‘em coming. 

Went to a table-top sale, this morning. Well, it was more like a matchbox-top sale, but whatever. Anyhoo...I purchased a box-set of 10 Beethoven Violin Sonatas, by Arthur Grumiaux, and Clara Haskil (never heard of either of those two).

According to The Penguin Guide To Compact Discs, the recordings are "civilised, and aristocratic". They are from 1956, so they bloody well should be :lol:

They were recorded in Amsterdam, but there's no info. on the studio, producer, tonmeister, etc.

I'll give 'em a spin, later.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

According to The Penguin Guide To Compact Discs, the recordings are "civilised, and aristocratic".

The Penguin Guide to Compact Discs, by Obi-Wan Kenobi. 

Something bit different to cleanse the palate. Always liked a few of her songs, a few of my good friends are massive fans, so decided to pick up her albums. And I have to admit Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 film was responsible for this too. Good price, all for 30 quid? 

ab67616d0000b2738fcd165e3cc600c1364eb6bc.jpgab67616d0000b273527d94ecf554774fc313bf48.jpgab67616d0000b273ddb63027b24c89246921609f.jpgab67616d0000b273d36d0f06096fa07f18b8e8a2.jpg

717r0EIm7jL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

ab67616d0000b2735fd9e21618182df7d70b2186.jpeg

Also...

vcs-1.jpegab67616d0000b273bdbc597ac772baee3bb4e655.jpeg

Karol

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Also got this as my old copy was cracked. I know some people find this recording bit controversial but I rather like it.

It's a nice album, although the recording sounds a bit distant. 

Your CD cracked?!?

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a nice album, although the recording sounds a bit distant. 

Your CD cracked?!?

Yeah.

Karol

I have found that it helps to spin/twist the CD around the spindle while taking it out if it is "stuck"

I don't know how it happened, to be honest. I just noticed a crack one day. To be honest, back in the day I used to carry some discs with me in a CD wallet. It was possible it was damaged then somehow. 

Karol

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

20230609_182118.jpg

Also got this as my old copy was cracked. I know some people find this recording bit controversial but I rather like it. It feels like they treat Williams' score a piece of classical music and hence the concert acoustics. I rather like it because it's different and it was also my first Jaws album.

20230609_182930.jpg

Karol

I mean, Total Recall is a classic, but Jaws is quite good too I guess ;-) I actually really like this recording of Jaws, yes it's not as upfront as the OST, but the sound is plush and despite MM's terrific efforts, still better than the original tracks. It's a great companion to the original (and I think it's better than the Superman recording under John Debney), my main gripe being the cover, it's not even the right species of shark (I think it's a nurse shark). Fortunately plentiful excellent custom covers for your digital music library if you're so inclined.

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think it's better than the Superman recording under John Debney

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

my main gripe being the cover, it's not even the right species of shark (I think it's a nurse shark)

I think it's a nice painting and it doesn't bother me that it's not the correct species. 

There's also quite a few brass flubs in a couple of action cues, and the To the Lair cue tempo is far too slow. It was a nice recording to have at the time but the unexpected expansion that followed hot on it's heels kicked it to the curb for me.

On 08/06/2023 at 6:22 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Stop.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

20230609_182118.jpg

He said "Stop"!!!!!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

20230609_182930.jpg

I said "He said 'St-'" Whoa, shit! Bob Peak did the cover, for this???!!!!

Impressed.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think it's a nice painting and it doesn't bother me that it's not the correct species. 

Next edition might come with a nice painting of a kangaroo then.

Bought Apollo 13 now that it’s back on sale. I remember checking out the ost from the library and making a tape dub through the microphone on my tape player. It must have sounded horrible, I don’t remember. One of the first pieces of film music, as a budding trumpet player, that really caught my attention. I’m so happy to have this, even though, like then, I can’t really afford it.

21 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

most of the stuff that he had collected all his life just went to the trash because none of us, his children had any interest in it or space for it in our homes

Couldn't you sell them?

Many times I have thought about this myself: what will happen to my cds and my blu-rays/UHDs once I have left this world.

48 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't want to depress anybody here. But I had a quite healing experience about my own collecting habits. When my father had past away and we were emptying his house and most of the stuff that he had collected all his life just went to the trash because none of us, his children had any interest in it or space for it in our homes. You get one or the other memorial. But most of these collected things just end up in the trash, no matter what it meant to the owning person. In the end it's just stuff. And everyone has his own stuff. And suddenly you don't see the point anymore in hoarding stuff.

I've had the same with one of my close friends who passed away some time ago. He left tons of LEGO behind, and a lot of games, DVDs etc. After roughly 18 months there's still a lot of stuff at the house. So, yeah, the conversation I mentioned above was with their partner and, yes, it puts things into perspective. So I can perfectly understand.

Karol

I finally bought the Flubber OST. I was a kid when the film came out and I really liked it at the time. Its issues may be more obvious to me as an adult, but Danny Elfman's score has aged well.

It's been an Elfmannish month. On the more mainstream side, I also picked up Nightmare Before Christmas.

The placement of the logo on that vinyl seems a bit strange. Why not place it in the upper left corner where there is plenty of negative space? Oh well.

Wonder if the expansions of I-III and the album of IV will also get a vinyl release.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The placement of the logo on that vinyl seems a bit strange. Why not place it in the upper left corner where there is plenty of negative space? Oh well.

Wonder if the expansions of I-III and the album of IV will also get a vinyl release.

Only the Expanded Raiders from Concorde Label came out. Unfortunately the remaining 3 never came to pass. Let's see how this goes.