Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

By the time Trailer 2 came out , I seem to remember we already heard a 4 minute version of Hedwig's Theme. Maybe it was that "preview" Boston Pops performance

Maybe that's why I thought Trailer 2 was edited down from the 4 minute Hedwig's Theme. Or when we got the OST it just seem like an edit (because of that misleading skip at 0.38)

impressive.

thanks god there is people who can read those things and translate it to us XD

Thank god there are people who trade rare sheet music for The Lost World ;)

Hopefully someone will make a mockup of "Quidditch And The Great Gtyffindor Victory" soon, and hopefully the sheet music to the original "Hogwarts Forever" will leak sometime and we can get a mockup of that

Wow! Fascinating stuff! Really amazing look into mr. Williams' creative process.

So if I understand correct, would the diagon ally reveal cue go in place of the music that plays as the bricks are shifting?

It's unclear what the insert was supposed to score, but you know that rather festive passage in the strings, the last part of the cue heard in the film before the tracked music starts? The insert would have come shortly after that. So it was probably for after the bricks.

EDIT: What am I talking about? The sketch clearly indicates how it was supposed to overlap with the original cue. This insert wouldn't have replaced any music - it would have lengthened the cue.

• 2 months later...

It seems JW did not compose the trailer music for the first three Potter films himself:

“You’ll be doing the trailers for the biggest franchise in Warner Brothers History, and by the way, here’s a recording of John Williams’ new theme that you have to use”. Two days later when our DAT machine ate the master tape of this recording we thought our career was over. As it turned out, this would be the first of a continuing saga of trailers that would keep us busy for the next 7 years and counting.
Lots of firsts for us. Our first trailer for a sequel. The first time we heard “This one has to be bigger and better”. The first time we wrote music for a flying car. Our proudest moment came when John Williams approved our version of his theme for release in the trailer.
We were starting to feel like Potter was old hat by this point, until we heard that a John Williams “song” would be included in the trailer. After many attempts, the studio decided that John would score the trailer, but it would include an intro written by Magic Box, and re-recorded by John Williams as part of the trailer. So wait…. John Williams was going to be conducting and recording a piece that we had composed? Crazy! To top it all off, we were able to attend the session and watch him do it. A signed copy of the score hangs in our studio to this day. We went on to score several International spots for this film, one of which garnered a nomination for “Best Music” at the Golden Trailer Awards.

As has been explained thoroughly in this thread, Williams wrote all the music for the HPSS teasers and trailers. We have the sheet music that proves this explicitly.

All of this Magic Box stuff has been discussed on the boards here before, but I'm too lazy to find a link. BTW, you shouldn't just throw a bunch of quotes in a post like that, always include a link to the source(s) you got the quotes from

http://www.magicboxm...ls.php?id=HPTSS

http://www.magicboxm...ls.php?id=HPCOS

http://www.magicboxm...ls.php?id=HPPOA

I am currently writing an analysis on the Philosopher Stone and this thread is another huge help with great information big and small and a fascinating read. :)

Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to reading that, Incanus!

Surely the recording sessions being available made it a much easier task than normal :)

I am currently writing an analysis on the Philosopher Stone and this thread is another huge help with great information big and small and a fascinating read. :)

Keep up the good work!

Are you using that PDF analysis of the actual written score as reference too? Just curious.

Karol

Looking forward to reading that, Incanus!

Surely the recording sessions being available made it a much easier task than normal :)

Thanks! And definitely the recording sessions make things a whole lot easier, not to mention pleasurable. :) Still there is a ton of interesting info here I might include in the analysis to make it really comprehensive.

I am just starting the track-by-track analysis so there are quite a few pages yet to go. ;)

Oh and I am using the sheet music as well, as far as I can as a musical illiterate. Still there are nuances and details there even I can add into the analysis.

Very funny

He wrote everything in COS

Somehow I am automatically waiting for Datameister's post with a vomiting smiley to follow soon whenever there is a mention of COS. :P

Very funny

So certain are you?

We never had confirmation from an official source.

And William Ross is not an official source?

Btw we are giving Williams really too much hard time on COS. He was 70 in 2002 and perhaps at that age working on 4 films a year is not such an easy task. Still he wrote enormous amount of music that year. No wonder he approached COS more as an adapting job to ease load while still serving the film and writing nearly hour of original new material.

It's not hard to tell Williams handwriting from other composers, especially when you've studied as many sketches as I have

Yes, I have scans of all the sheet music. Lots of people do

There's nothing fishy about COS. He worked on it very hard until he had to leave to go score CMIYC. Why wouldn't he write 3 (not 2) concert pieces? What William Ross did was assist him in selecting passages from HPSS to adapt (or straight out copy) since Williams knew he wouldnt have time to write music for everything.

I wonder why Magic Box Music would say they scored the trailers if it's not true?

Sure, they probably use JW font in Word.

Karol

?

Very funny

Somehow I am automatically waiting for Datameister's post with a vomiting smiley to follow soon whenever there is a mention of COS. :P

:lol: Hey, my gag reflex only starts acting up if someone suggests that Williams didn't pull a Horner with this one!

• 1 month later...

I would say as a quick answer that the music is partly from 2m2 You're A Wizard Harry but edited together with other material. I don't know where the opening is from but the ending tremolo seems to come from 5m1x Troll in the Dungeon around 11 second mark.

Wow, impressive, Finnish boy!

It is indeed 2M2 and 5M1x. Now, the only unidentified part is from 2:07 to 2:32.

Thanks for the answer!

My pleasure.

Good thing I am writing the HPPS analysis. I just finished my analysis of the track You're a Wizard Harry so I knew it quite well. :)

P.S. Does anybody know the exact orchestration of the diegetic source cue of the 2m3 The Wizard's Pub? It sounds like musette or accordion, mandolin and some kind of drum to me.

P.S. Does anybody know the exact orchestration of the diegetic source cue of the 2m3 The Wizard's Pub? It sounds like musette or accordion, mandolin and some kind of drum to me.

Too bad the sheet music for the source cues hasn't leaked :(

The beginning of the music in that scene is from "Running to McGonagall." :)

According to Bill Wrobel's analysis of the score, "The Wizard's Pub" calls for mandolin, two percussion parts, and something else, which I agree sounds like some type of accordion.

The beginning of the music in that scene is from "Running to McGonagall." :)

According to Bill Wrobel's analysis of the score, "The Wizard's Pub" calls for mandolin, two percussion parts, and something else, which I agree sounds like some type of accordion.

What irony! He didn't look too carefully into this particular piece! But on the other hand it is just a short piece of source music.

Talk about hearing things. Do you happen to catch Dies Irae quote anywhere in there?

• 1 month later...

2012 our next shot at complete Harry Potter scores?

Warner Home Video plans to release a comprehensive Harry Potter film collection, with even more extras and collectible premiums in 2012. More details about the collection will be available at a later date.

So they're releasing a blu-ray set this year, and then another 2012 with 'collectible premiums'... talk about trying to suck every last penny out of this franchise.

I'll buy it if one of these 'more extras' turns out to be isolated scores for all 8 films.

And if they do release some sort of scores box set, they'll do it in-house and find some way to screw it up.

Documentaries with 5.1 would indeed be useful.

I'm doubtful about isolated scores though. Putting all the music in a format easily bootable isn't going to please the executives. I think it depends on how interested in the music the DVD's producer is.