43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better score

• Star Trek the Motion Picture
    • Star Trek 2009

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. This one's gonna be a big surprise, too. :spiny: I dunno if I'll be able to vote, though. TMP is the more legendary, orchestrationally sublime, tonally unique score...but if I had to go the rest of my life without hearing one of the two scores, TMP might get the boot. I know, I know. Get the pitchforks. But I just...find Giacchino's effort more enjoyable to listen to, when you get right down to it. Sorry if that makes me...insufficiently intellectual, or pathetically tasteless, or whatnot. But I don't think I'll vote...it'd be difficult to vote against TMP simply because it does have so much going for it, at least in theory.

it just means some people already accept Giacchino's scores unconditionally. He hasn't earned it yet and has yet to compose a great score for a feature film

yeah but Williams is a legend that has been around for 50 years and the reason this board was founded.I had 30 years to form a lasting opinion. Williams is on the level of the best composers ever IMO and Gia is just Gia

When I like a Williams score, I don't like it any more because the guy's been around for decades. When I like a Giacchino score, I don't like it any less because he's relatively new to the scene.

I was tempted to vote for Giacchino in all the Trek threads, just for the hell of it.

Morlock is that you?

it just means some people already accept Giacchino's scores unconditionally. He hasn't earned it yet and has yet to compose a great score for a feature film

Wrong. Ratatouille and Up are both incredible scores for incredible films.

I can't believe that this one really gets a poll!!! ;)

And who are those 4 trolls who voted for 2009?!?

Seriously, Giacchino wrote a good score for the movie, for me it works.

But Goldsmith's Start Trek is not to top with the 2009 score.

Difficult choice.....very difficult.....it's like asking me to choose between a 1989 Krug Clos du Mesnil and a bottle of Tizer.....

.....oh, wait.....

.......hang on - feels like I've typed this before!

Greg - who spent all last week in Liverpool, and didn't get mugged one!! Can I get a "Hell Yeah!"?

TMP is great, but Jaws eats it alive, Star Wars proton torpedoes its exhaust port, E.T. obliterates it with walkie-talkies and CE3K sucks it up through the dog door, then spits it back out.

I can't believe that this one really gets a poll!!! :blink:

And who are those 4 trolls who voted for 2009?!?

Seriously, Giacchino wrote a good score for the movie, for me it works.

But Goldsmith's Start Trek is not to top with the 2009 score.

Ahem, I don't think all these polls really prove anything. Just that people can read, click buttons, and make fun of life.

You could ask a poll, "which would you rather do, spend eternity with the man or woman of your choice, or eat a really good cheeseburger and rot in hell" and you would still find some people here would pick the cheeseburger.

I would.

And you guys need to stop referring to him as "Gia" unless you're pronouncing it "Juh." If you are then that's an awful nickname.

I think of him as a mens fragrance anyway, so Gia's fine.

Lee - whose gonna make sure Greg's car is found on bricks, next time the southern git visits Merseyside.

TMP is great, but Jaws eats it alive, Star Wars proton torpedoes its exhaust port, E.T. obliterates it with walkie-talkies and CE3K sucks it up through the dog door, then spits it back out.

Okay, I have to admit that what you wrote is correct. But still, TMP is a great score.

I greatly enjoy both scores, but Star Trek: The Motion Picture wins for me. :blink:

However, I do find the Star Trek (2009) album more balanced and enjoyable to listen to than TMP. TMP is great, but between 'Spock's Arrival' and 'A Good Start' I get bored.....