Spielberg to make Gershwin Biopic

QMM

In Spielberg's remake they drive the shark away from Amity and Quint lives.

Or Benchley's original ending stands, and the shark just...dies.

it did? how?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073195/faq#.2.1.1

- Brody does not defeat the shark using a rifle and the air tank as he does in the film. In the book, the Orca sinks, and Brody is left helpless in the water. As the shark swims towards him, he can do nothing but accept his fate. But when it is mere inches away from him, the shark dies, from days and days of battle with the men, presumably mostly due to blood loss and exhaustion from the barrels stuck in it. It is a very anti-climactic, yet still poignant ending.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the books ending is chilling. Brody is the sole survivor, he watches as the shark spirals into the depths with the Quint opened mouth in a silent scream dragged behind. Brody swims toward shore but his fear must be nearly insurmountable as he knows the shark is dead, but is it. Are there others. Will he make it to shore untouched.

That is the ending of Jaws the novel. All that unspoken fear is gone in the film because we know the shark is dead, and John's music guides us to shore wrapped in safety. It is a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL piece of music, in a surprisingly short end credit sequence.

Yup, because a movie lacks that external, all-knowing narrator, which can force a literary character to accept what a filmed character might not.

Then it's settled, movies are more prone to ambiguity than books!

the books ending is chilling. Brody is the sole survivor,

That's because Benchley kills Hooper out of retaliation for sleeping with Brody's wife. Spielberg wisely removed that subplot, along with the Mafia connection, making Hooper's death unnecessary. Though his absence in Brody's would-be final moments is just as effective.

Yup, because a movie lacks that external, all-knowing narrator, which can force a literary character to accept what a filmed character might not.

Then it's settled, movies are more prone to ambiguity than books!

Far be it from me to be the final word on anything. I wrote "can force," not "always forces."

That being said, I now realize that if Book Brody were to look to the heavens and hear voices from above telling him the shark was dead and he was safe, that would be silly. The narrator would tell the reader the shark had died from exhaustion, and create dramatic irony by not letting Brody realize that until sometime later, when he accepts the shark's death and swims home. Especially since dead sharks sink.

And so, yes, the book's ending is scary and relevant. It's also anti-climactic for a movie, because Brody is the central character of the movie, especially once he becomes the last character onscreen. And up until now in the fishing trip, all he's done is shovel chum and tie a few knots. It's time for him to actually do something, i.e. become the hero and "kill" the shark.

And so, yes, the book's ending is scary and relevant. It's also anti-climactic for a movie, because Brody is the central character of the movie, especially once he becomes the last character onscreen. And up until now in the fishing trip, all he's done is shovel chum and tie a few knots. It's time for him to actually do something, i.e. become the hero and "kill" the shark.

When I first read the book, I thought the shark had forgiven Brody and simply swam away. It was kinda a beautiful ending.

Temple of Doom was the final "Spielberg" movie. After that, it all changed. For a while, he was Mr. Amazing Stories, and then... he got Oscar Fever. Yessir, he wanted that gold statue so bad, he decided to stop making fantastic films and pack the theaters with Color Purple and Empire of the Sun. Oh, there was a Jurassic Park here and there, and a couple Indy sequels as a promise to his buddy George. But the CE3K/Jaws/Raiders/Poltergeist/E.T. director had checked out, moving on to more "serious" fare, Hook notwithstanding. I prefer fantastic films. The genre stuff we all love.

Gershwin? Hmmm.. Maybe if they gargle Gershwin.

When I first read the book, I thought the shark had forgiven Brody and simply swam away. It was kinda a beautiful ending.

If SS of today was making Jaws of today, that's how it would have to end. PETA would not support the mindless murder of a beautiful but endangered killing machine out of anger for doing what it does best.

The symbolism would have to convey the notion of Mrs. Kintner giving the shark a great big hug and saying it was ok that it ate her little boy because she could now make his bedroom into a hot tub room, and the shark would agree not to come back, and everybody would be happy.

If SS of today was making Jaws of today, that's how it would have to end. PETA would not support the mindless murder of a beautiful but endangered killing machine out of anger for doing what it does best.

The symbolism would have to convey the notion of Mrs. Kintner giving the shark a great big hug and saying it was ok that it ate her little boy because she could now make his bedroom into a hot tub room, and the shark would agree not to come back, and everybody would be happy.

Actually Peta would have slapped Mrs. Kitner because of her complete disregard for the sharks safety as her actions allowed the shark to consume a non nutricious food item outside its normal diet. Not to mention all the health fascist out there in an uproar over all that human blood in the water. Talk about toxic waste!

So anyway, Gershwin.

I think Zachary Quinto (who is rumoured to be linked with the project) certainly looks the part. Still haven't seen enough of his acting to be a big judge on that though.

and suddenly the thread becomes uninteresting again. thanks.

So anyway, Gershwin.

I think Zachary Quinto (who is rumoured to be linked with the project) certainly looks the part. Still haven't seen enough of his acting to be a big judge on that though.

Piss off and make your own thread about how Spielberg would change most of his classic films then. Some of us actually are interested in the idea of this film.

So anyway, Gershwin.

Piss off and make your own thread about how Spielberg would change most of his classic films then. Some of us actually are interested in the idea of this film.

chill out girlfriend, no one cares about Spielberg anymore, he's washed up, a has been, a fool.

HOOPER DRIVES THE BOAT, CHIEF.

yes but its now a solar powered or electric boat that leaves a tiny carbon footprint.

Maybe he'll make this movie, and maybe he won't. Let's face it, folks, Spielberg is 64 next birthday, and he has nothing left to prove to anyone, especially the film-going public. Personally, I look on each new Spielberg film as I look on each new album by The Rolling Stones, or Rush, or Queen, or Yes, or even J.W: if a new one comes along, then all fine and dandy. If it don't, then I have all those other records to fall back on (or, in Spielberg's case, films to see), and thank the Maker that I have had the privilege of hearing/seeing them. Whatever he does next, I wish him well.

He's like a woman in a shoe store, he wants this and this and this, but he can only wear one pair at a time. If we could be sure he'd make up his mind then it might actually be a moment to get excited about, but he's been such a liar to the public the last few years, he's the director who cried wolf, and most of us don't care.

Maybe he'll make this movie, and maybe he won't. Let's face it, folks, Spielberg is 64 next birthday, and he has nothing left to prove to anyone, especially the film-going public. Personally, I look on each new Spielberg film as I look on each new album by The Rolling Stones, or Rush, or Queen, or Yes, or even J.W: if a new one comes along, then all fine and dandy. If it don't, then I have all those other records to fall back on (or, in Spielberg's case, films to see), and thank the Maker that I have had the privilege of hearing/seeing them. Whatever he does next, I wish him well.

I agree except:

- 64 is still young. Paul McCartney last two records are amongst the best of his solo career. Perhaps Spielberg's best is still to come.

- 'Yes' stopped making interesting records since the mid-seventies. As far as I'm concerned, the band is already dead, artistically, that is.

Alex

It's would be nice if he made a few more films besides Titin while Williams is alive to score them .If he takes too long to decide that won;t happen .

I don't like the way he takes 5 year breaks than goes into hyperactivity and makes 3 movies in a row (that could be better if he took his time)

I don't like the way he takes 5 year breaks than goes into hyperactivity and makes 3 movies in a row (that could be better if he took his time)

Because he is totally in control of that, right? Not to take into account actor/crew availability, script rewrites, studio politics, or even funding.

funding should never be an issue for Spielberg. He's f'ing tight. He could pay out of his pocket for Lincoln and never miss it.

While I hate to deviate the discussion from "old" Spielberg versus "new" Spielberg (I certainly have my thoughts on it, but I will not go into them here), I think it might be worthwhile to mention that John Williams has already shown us what he can do with Gershwin's music (such as this cool arrangement of "Fascinatin' Rhythm"). I would love to hear him write more music in this style.

funding should never be an issue for Spielberg. He's f'ing tight. He could pay out of his pocket for Lincoln and never miss it.

Tintin was bogged down in funding issues for a long time

While I hate to deviate the discussion from "old" Spielberg versus "new" Spielberg (I certainly have my thoughts on it, but I will not go into them here), I think it might be worthwhile to mention that John Williams has already shown us what he can do with Gershwin's music (such as this cool arrangement of "Fascinatin' Rhythm"). I would love to hear him write more music in this style.

now I know I don't want Spielberg to make this instead of something else

I agree except:

- 64 is still young. Paul McCartney last two records are amongst the best of his solo career. Perhaps Spielberg's best is still to come.

- 'Yes' stopped making interesting records since the mid-seventies. As far as I'm concerned, the band is already dead, artistically, that is.

Alex

Alex, if you mean "The Fireman", then, yes, that IS one of his recent best! Even "Memory Almost Full" isn't too bad. At least it's better than stuff such as "Off The Ground".

Like I said, this could be a fun project for Williams. I really enjoy the FSM's Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion album.

Tintin was bogged down in funding issues for a long time

well its an iffy project. it will be lucky to break 100 million in the US. It will perform better overseas where people like it and know it.

Like I said, this could be a fun project for Williams. I really enjoy the FSM's Checkmate/Rhythm in Motion album.

Agreed (to both).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree except:

Alex

Alex, if you mean "The Fireman", then, yes, that IS one of his recent best! Even "Memory Almost Full" isn't too bad. At least it's better than stuff such as "Off The Ground".

No, I meant Chaos And Creation In The Backyard (which he actually wrote after Memory Almost Full) and Memory Almost Full. I'm not that impressed with The Fireman. The concept is cool (write and record a song every day until you have a CD) but the songs are not as strong as on his last two McCartney releases. I hope he keeps it up

Alex

• 2 years later...

A bit of news about the project:

http://www.sacbee.co...s-songbook.html

[Michael Feinstein] is joining forces with director Steven Spielberg on a movie about the creation of "Porgy and Bess," a property that has been long in the canon but is also enjoying renewed interest through a current Tony-winning Broadway production.

"The movie has been in development a while. Steven likes the script and is committed to doing it. He's resolute about directing it, but we have to wait until it becomes his next project.

I wonder if this, the Moses biopic, or Robopocalypse would be released first (assuming Spielberg directs them all)?

Spielberg hasn't committed yet to the much-talked Warner Bros.' Moses project, there are only rumors so far.

Robopocalypse has been post-poned to 2014, production was shut down last May (it should have started shooting this month). Spielberg is still attached to direct, however, but it shouldn't happen until sometimes next year.

The Gershwin biopic has been in development since quite some time (as indicated in the article before), but there are no substantial news so far.

I guess we'll know what Spielberg's next movie will be before the end of this year.