1. 1. If you believe Hedwig's Theme trumps the Star Wars Main Titles

• I raise my hand proudly!
    • I would rather chop my hand off!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but one is greater.

For example, in a battle between two greats King Mark and Blumenkohl, clearly, Blumenkohl would be greater. It's just a part of life. :P

You're a cruel man, Blumenkohl. I don't know if I can choose a favorite. In Lost terms, it'd be like picking a favorite character between Ben and Locke - when the needle on the awesometer is that far to the right, it's pretty hard to discern.

Hedwig's theme is probably more original and definitely more orchestrationally diverse, with very complex passages that surely took as much skill to compose as they do to perform. It's not deficient in the iconic-ness department, either - I daresay the theme is as recognizable to the younger generations as the Star Wars main theme was to its own generation. In terms of listening experience, both are a blast to listen to, but for completely different reasons. I've heard the Star Wars main title more, so I'm perhaps a little more tired of it, but I also have a deeper sentimental connection to it.

At the moment, I'd give Hedwig's theme the slight edge. But that's a really difficult call, and not something I'm comfortable actually voting on.

I wish you'd given another option instead of having to chop my hand off :P but for me, as amazing as Hedwig's theme is .....Star Wars any day of the week! :P

Are we going by cues or actual themes? On a cue level I'd vote for Star Wars Main Title. But if we're incorporating every single variation that either theme has had....it's tough, but I think I'd vote for Hedwig (just slightly).

Are we going by cues or actual themes? On a cue level I'd vote for Star Wars Main Title. But if we're incorporating every single variation that either theme has had....it's tough, but I think I'd vote for Hedwig (just slightly).

Really? ;) I'm the opposite! Huh...

Really? ;) I'm the opposite! Huh...

It's definitely very close, but I think that because Hedwig's Theme is more varied, I can appreciate it more in all its variations. Especially if we're counting variations by other composers (I love what Doyle did with it. The Clone Wars' variation of the Star Wars main theme, on the other hand....).

This isn't even close.

Star Wars by a huge margin.

I'm sorry Mark, but I can only take your post with a grain of salt

† - "Actually the meat tastes the same, there is no difference whether you cook with charcoal or gas." - Mark Olivarez whilst losing his credibility

I'd take most themes over Hedwig's Theme, to be honest. I just cannot get into the Potter scores.

However, the Main Title/Luke's Theme is always hard to beat, I adore the rendition in 'The Robot Auction'.

Pointless poll. Everyone knows (and loves) the Star Wars main theme; only film score fans and Harry Potter fans know Hedwig's theme. And how many of them could even tell you that it's "Hedwig's Theme" and not "the Harry Potter song"?

Couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to younger generations, bondo. Play some Star Wars for them, and you'll get, "What is that, Indiana Jones? Star Wars?" It's a vague sort of recognition. But play "the Harry Potter theme song", and they know it like *that*.

In order to save my hands from being cut off, I would gladly subscribe to any false dogma you recommend.

It's called religion, and I wouldn't be the first to subscribe.

This isn't even close.

Star Wars by a huge margin.

I'm sorry Mark, but I can only take your post with a grain of salt

† - "Actually the meat tastes the same, there is no difference whether you cook with charcoal or gas." - Mark Olivarez whilst losing his credibility

:blink:;):sleepy: :sleepy:

Besides having his hands cut off, WTF is wrong with Christopher Lee in that photo?

I dont think he is Christopher Lee.

That movie still kills it. In the movie i dont remember noticing the CGI face there. :shakehead:

Unfortunately, do to Mr. Lee's advanced age, there are several poorly rendered CGI shots of his head on the stunt double's body.

Unfortunately, do to Mr. Lee's advanced age, there are several poorly rendered CGI shots of his head on the stunt double's body.

in AOTC, but in ROTS, you can barely notice it in motion.

Shame they could not do it in 1977 :shakehead: , because Ben kenobi is rather sad... (ESB and ROTJ duels are good)

He's an old man, to expect acrobatics is unrealistic.

I still think the OT duels are all better than the PT, dramatically especially. They work in their context, and emotionally they're brilliant.

The duel in Star Wars was emotionally more effective than any duel in the 1999, 2002, or 2005 movies.

Sure, it was technically boring, and the way both men hold their sabers with two hands makes more like a training exercise more than a classic swordfight.

But the taunts and deliberate style make it compelling. From a 1977 standpoint, you've got one man in a tall heavy suit who probably can't see very well squaring off against an old man. It would be very hard to fight well, though Prowse becomes very proficient at fighting as Vader by saga's end.

I never thought I'd say this, but from a post-prequel standpoint, Vader and Ben's duel actually makes wonderful sense. Kenobi knows he should have killed Vader when he had the chance. The shock of seeing what his apprentice had become and done had been too much for him to actually kill the dismembered torso on Mustafar, but Kenobi spent twenty years with that shock turning to grief and regret as Vader killed millions under the banner of the Empire. And Vader spent much of that time searching for Kenobi, to satisfy the personal vendetta from his loss of limbs as well as knowing Kenobi to be a key to find other hidden Jedi.

And so after twenty years of searching, Obi-Wan Kenobi willingly shows up in the last place Vader ever thought he would find him: the Death Star. Exposed on an Imperial battle station, not hiding under some distant rock. This piques Vader's curiosity. What is Kenobi doing there? What's he hiding? He came with passengers, who are they and why did he risk his life to deactivate the tractor beam? These questions cloud Vader's brain and prevent him from killing Obi-Wan outright, and as Kenobi taunts him, Vader becomes more curious and more frustrated. And since Kenobi won't give up his secrets, Vader attempts to finally cut his old teacher down, but only sends him to the astral plane of Force consciousness.

TPM's lightsaber duels easily trump the duel in Star Wars. As much as I love that film, I can't find much to applaud about that duel. ESB benefits from great sets, powerful emotional context, and superior lightsaber visual effects, but its choreography still can't hold a candle to the PT choreography, especially in TPM. Then ROTJ has...nothing but emotional context. The sets, choreography, and lightsaber effects are all relatively weak.

All of the PT duels are overly choreographed, they're too perfect and that makes them look phoney, they're more like a ballet, it doesn't look real. Compare with ROTJ when Luke is totally pissed off and charges against Vader, that looks real, cuase that's how someone really pissed would fight, no twirling and jumping around like a dance.

On an emotional level, there's no comparison, in TPM, a door opens, Maul is there and we have 3 people fighting for no real reason, or at least for a reason we don't care. Again compare with ROTJ when Luke would rather go to the dark side in order to protect Leia, he beats the shit out of Vader and realises he's becoming just like his father and at that moments decides to throw away his weapon. That's powerful stuff. That's drama. Even the "worst" episode of the OT is a thousand times better than the prequels.

I think AOTC and ROTS tend to look a little over-choreographed and monotonous, but TPM nails the choreography. It feels like a real fight between Jedi and Sith would feel - of course it's a little over the top. The Force and all, y'know. There are lulls in the action, there's variety...and after Maul runs his blade through Qui-Gon, there's a distinct emotional change. Obi-wan is clearly angry, and the choreography reflects that. Instead of getting himself killed the way Luke would have with senseless, childish swinging, he fights harder and faster.

Again, ESB and ROTJ nail the emotion, which in a broad sense is the most important part. I'm not trying to downplay their awesomeness. I'm just saying that the choreography in TPM really was genuinely amazing, and it'd be a pity to allow all the flaws surrounding the choreography to contaminate our views of it.

(But I am trying to downplay the supposed awesomeness of the ANH duel. :shakehead:)

He's an old man, to expect acrobatics is unrealistic.

He is a jedi.

In this case technology did not allowed more acrobatics. And the age of Guiness could not be bypassed wth SFX.

All of the PT duels are overly choreographed, they're too perfect and that makes them look phoney, they're more like a ballet, it doesn't look real. Compare with ROTJ when Luke is totally pissed off and charges against Vader, that looks real, cuase that's how someone really pissed would fight, no twirling and jumping around like a dance.

On an emotional level, there's no comparison, in TPM, a door opens, Maul is there and we have 3 people fighting for no real reason, or at least for a reason we don't care. Again compare with ROTJ when Luke would rather go to the dark side in order to protect Leia, he beats the shit out of Vader and realises he's becoming just like his father and at that moments decides to throw away his weapon. That's powerful stuff. That's drama. Even the "worst" episode of the OT is a thousand times better than the prequels.

Yes. Most of the fights in the PT carry no emotional weight. The fight in Episode I may look good, but why did NOBODY talk during that whole thing? They're stuck behind those energy walls just staring at each other. Huh? We don't care about any of this. Christopher Lee (the CG version or whatever that was) fighting in the other movies just looked completely ridiculous. So did General Grievious and his 27 lightsabers spinning around in succession. Honestly, the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan fight was also ludicrous when they're riding the lava and everything suddenly looks like a cartoon. Don't even get me started on the Emperor and Yoda.

Granted, I was spoiled growing up on "Your powers are weak, old man", Vader jumping down the stairs and collapsing that bridge Luke is on, the final duel on the catwalk where Luke cuts off Vader's hand and that scene in the tree where Vader's head is cut off and the helmet explodes to reveal Luke's face. Those were such great fights.

and another thread turns into a random Prequel bashing fest

It's not random at all, especially when the new topic was brought up in the form of someone bashing the OT.

Besides, every thread on the internet must turn into a PT discussion at some point. It's the law.